Auto Portfolio Services / Demand payment

My mother never had a payment issue with Peak5 until July 2009 when there as no payment taken out of her account. We were never notified that the company went out of business. I tried on her bahalf to get thru a web page or by phone and no such luck as the page was down and the phone had a busy signal at all times of the day.

I contacted the local TV station and they advised me to write a demand letter requesting contact from them to her. A letter was sent to the Attorney General and Peak5 via certified mail. Yeterday, my mother received a notice for payment in the mail from Auto Portfolio Services.

I have no idea who this company is. I tried calling them last night (apparently it was after hours) and the recording on the ansering machine sounded as if I reached someones home, youknow the old analog machines that have static for the background noise. Today I tried to call again at 9:30 and it just rang.

I am extremely skeptical as to who this is. They are wanting a double payment. The invoice is dated 7/30/09, due date is 7/15/09. Who are they???? If they are legit, it is one heck of a way to introduce themselves. If they did buy the account from Peak5, why are they not set up to take other methods of payments (as it states on the bottom of the "payment" notice).

Has any body else make contact with this company?

N  6th of Aug, 2009 by
I received a call from auto portfolio on 08/05/2009, welcoming me to there service. I did not know who they were. I have been trying to make my payment to peak 5 since 07/15/2009 and i found out that they have closed. I do not know who my lienholder is and have paid to much money to this company for them just to drop me. I will not give personal information to anyone until i received something in the mail stating that they have bought my account.
A  7th of Aug, 2009 by
My payment was due on 8/6/09 and when I tried to pay it over the phone I just got a busy signal. I sent a payment online through my bank that shows a payment date of 8/11/09. I got a letter today from Auto Portfolio Services telling me that my loan was transfered from Peak 5 to them and that I could only mail my payment for now. I tried to cancel my payment from my bank and it is too late. So I tried to call "APS" and it just rang and rang. Today is 8/7/09 1:34pm. I'm not sure what to do now. I guess I wait to see if my payment goes through.
A  11th of Aug, 2009 by
My advice to everyone is to contact the Federal Trade Commission prior to sending any money to verify who this company is. The phone number to the FTC is 877-382-4357. I am sure Auto Portfolio Service is all in the same company as Centrix & Peak 5. I will not send money until I verify who this company is and that they are legally allowed to collect my money and that they have access to my title.
A  14th of Aug, 2009 by
I have never been so mad in my life!!! What is going on with these people??? I have tried since July 17, 2009 to make my payment. I was never notified about Peak5 closing. I searched for 2 days trying to find where to make my payment. I read on the internet to call Auto Portfolio. Have called several times, oh they are very nice. Said they have my account and I should receive "a welcome package" in the mail within a week. After 3 weeks I finally received a bill saying I owe 2 payments. My Aug payment isn't even due yet, but they want my July and Aug payment now. When I called them, they were still very nice. Wanted me to make the 2 payments over the phone by check or debit card. When I told then I would call them back later to make a payment, then they got nasty. The woman "Holly" had the nerve to tell me I had been contacted by Auto Portfolio several times to tell me they had assumed my account from Peak5. I said "wait just a minute, you have never contacted me, I contacted you to find out if you had my account". Then she got really nasty and I hung up on her. My fear is if I don't make these 2 payments they are going to report it to the credit bureau as late payments and for 4 years I have never been late not even one day. I am in the processing of buying a house and I don't want this on my credit report as late payments. I don't know what to do. I found out this morning I should contact the FTC about this. But again my question is, if this shows up on my credit report, do I have any recourse with these people? I could pay both payments, but I'm not sure these people are on the up and up and how do I know for sure this is all true. I have read a report from one lady saying she just wants her title because she paid off her car and they are telling her they don't have it. Is that going to happen to me because my load will be paid off so and I don't want the hassle of trying to fight for the title to my car.
A  18th of Aug, 2009 by
I check with DMV to find out who the lien holder was on my car and it is Meadow Credit Union. When I contact them to find out how to make my payments the young lady name ANNIE stated I needed to call Auto Portfolio. I told her that her company was the lien holder why would I contact auto portfolio and she stated that she was told just to tell me who the call. I further asked her who she was with and she said that they were the ones that came me the loan in the beginning when the paperwork stated Centrix. I asked why their name wasn't on any paperwork she stated again she was only to tell me who to call. I think we are getting screwed and I am not sending money to someone that is assamed to tell me who they really are. I am going to contack the BBB and the FTC.
N  25th of Nov, 2009 by
omg this is getting scarier and scarier i have paid these people thousands of dollars and still owe them $5, 000 and a few hundred with that my statements they send are all screwed up and are a HOT MESS!!! they are going down and never coming back up because they are not legit at all
A  1st of Oct, 2012 by
Do NOT do business with Auto Portfolio. These are nasty predatory lenders. A friend who got a car title loan for $1600, ended up having to pay them over $3100 to get her car back. She made payments...but they charged her $990.00 in interest for 6 months. These people need to be stopped. They take advantage of people that are in a hurting financial situation.