Authorhouse / authors not being paid for all sales

This publishing company is awful. Not only do they sike you out, they send you a finish product and that's it! Where's the money from the sales? I know i've sold plenty of books and I was sitting at # 1 for sometime... where's my money???

Stay away from this place or you'll be searching for a good lawyer like me!

Sp

Comments

• Da
      7th of Mar, 2009

Unfortunately, I used Authorhouse for my first book. We agreed on a royalty of $2.00 per copy. To date, I've received two checks totally $3.85. I've checked out numerous book store web sites and a number of them are advertising my book on sale as used. My quarterly statement from Authorhouse always states zero copies sold. When I sent them an e-mail asking how this can be possible. They informed me that these web sites were lying. They actually do not have any of my books used or otherwize. When serching for a publisher I never saw anything negative concerning this company. But now that I've become one of their victims. I see numerous complaints . Be very careful when looking for a publisher. Authorhouse is owned by a very large investment corporation and they have been buying out other print on demand companies. Dog Ear is just one of them. They are able to successfully counter complaints by out numbering and overpowering them through a blitzkreg type of web site advertising. I've been writing to state and federal agencies about Authorhouse's fraudulant practices. PLEASE! CLIMB ON BOARD. I AM ASKING ANYONE THAT HAS BEEN SCAMMED BY THIS COMPANY TO CONTACT THEIR STATE AND FEDERAL AGENCIES. CHANCES ARE, WE WILL NEVER GET ANY OF OUR MONEY BACK. BUT TOGETHER WE CAN RECEIVE SOME DEGREE OF JUSTICE AND SATISFACTION WHEN THIS COMPANY IS DRAGGED INTO COURT BY THE IRS AND OTHER CONSUMER PROTECTION ORGANIZATIONS.

• Ke
      16th of Mar, 2009

totally agree with you. I am trying to touch base with people that has published with them as well. I've been asking these croaks for months to stop advertising my book and they still have it everywhere. It was print on demand and it wasn't meant to hit any book shelves. Now they are selling it everywhere and I don't get nothing for it.

• Ke
      16th of Mar, 2009

I've had so much stress dealing with this company. When the book was published a representative from authorhouse in London said 'you wouldn't want people to know that you are making money from your book'.
    Shame on them and they are making money from selling other peoples hard work.

• Re
      14th of Jul, 2009

Did all of you have trouble even getting them to do anything. I sent them the book complete on C.D. Also paper form cover to cover. Still it isn't out.

• Ve
      19th of Oct, 2009

I agree with David Robinson, I have not received any royalties from my book since 2004 yet it is being sold world wide!

Can we all join together in a class action suit?

• Bi
      8th of Nov, 2009

Hello:

My royaltie's are being stolen by Author House. Amazon. Com is also involved, along with Ingram's, and the ISBN agency. I have been retained by a class action law firm out of Chicago. Please call this law firm. Kember Edelson. Ask for Michael Aschenbrener. Here is his telephone number. 312-589-6379. Tell Michael that Barbara Lee told you to call. Michael will send you a retainer to join a class action lawsuit against Author House, Amazon. Com, etc. This is a contingency class action lawsuit with no charge to you.

The name of my book is "The Chip Hustler." It has a 5 star rating on Amazon. Com, Alibris, etc. I am on hundreds of websites and not one book sale, except for a paperback sale when my book went live in November, 2008. It was bought by a friend of mine. The rest of the royaltie's are from book vendors. Names of companie's that bought aren't mentioned. I have been paid a total of $70.00 since my book went live in November, 2008. I am mad, mad, mad.

I am working with another author. Her name is Virginia Peterson. She wrote "April Is The Cruellest Month, " by V R Peterson. We are in constant touch by e mail and telephone. She has already signed the retainer with Kember Edelson.

Please call me.

Barbara Lee
    702-914-8972

Virginia Peterson
    352-206-7896

21st of Dec, 2009

I too have helped the rich people at authorhouse get richer, apparently cause my book and copyrighted poem are all over the internet, uk, india, and china?? I never said ok to that...

Really glad to see others, plainandsimples@live.ca, 647-281-5400, and I will be contacting everyone I can, soon, enough is enough.

Angee

• Cl
      26th of Dec, 2009

Hi... My name is Ferlin "Clay" Morgan and I to was taken buy Authorhouse. They have not sent me any royality's sence 2002 and my book was published back in 2000. I have not received any royality's to date...2009.
    They are for sure a rip-off. I was payed just $70.00 over two years time and I know that there was allot more books sold because I have a large family and allt of friends that purchased my book for me so I just see if I was getting ripped off and sure enough they riped me off and they just did not care. I would like to jump on board with you all in regards to this matter.

Clay

E-mail : cjnmorgan@att.net

• Ap
      6th of Mar, 2010

I have not received a payment on my book "Your Father in Heaven, Devilish or Divine" published in 2001, since 1stBooks became Authorhouse. I recently ordered a copy from a second-hand book seller, which proves that someone has bought my book (other than me). If us authors don't hang together Authorhouse will hang us seperately. Dale Brown
    dajean7@yahoo.com

• Je
      17th of Mar, 2010

My name is Jesse Griffith i too have been put together by authorhouse. My book is Outside the inner-city, came out in 05 and sold (supposedly) 2 copies. yet i have signed more then 40 of books friends have bought. my number is 302-584-1298, anyone wanna ride to the main office in bloomington im down and i WILL bring a big stick...lol

• Pa
      21st of May, 2010

My book: We Don't Need Permission: A Proposal for Homosexual Emancipation, came out in 2007, via Authorhouse. I received maybe $25 dollars since that time. When I called to complain that I don't believe this to be true because my title was top 20 of new titles on Amazon for some time, I was told by an Authorhouse rep: "If you can prove you sold more books, we'll cut you a check."

They know full well we can't get that information. I called Ingram to inquire how many of my titles were run. They told me I had to go through Authorhouse. This is shadey to say the least. What's more, they are hounding me to pour more money into advertising. Why the hell would I sink another dime into something I have no control over? We should be able to get actual sales numbers.

When we want our sales numbers, we have to contact Authorhouse and wait two or three months while they get the runs from Ingram: supposedly. I'm sure the numbers are doctored for our eyes. I'd be curious to find out what they are turning in to the federal government in taxes. If they had to change their name to Authorhouse, then they'd do it again. I sure this is a lucrative business for them. I'm definitely joining this class action. Thank you for the info.

Autorhouse needs to have their books cracked wide open, and their purses that are overflowing with our sales need to trickle down to us writers. You'd think they'd take care of us for our repeat business. This is discouraging: we work so hard to make names for ourselves, and vultures eat the flesh right off our bones.

• Br
      6th of Jul, 2010

My royalties are being taken as well. Bond and the Big Green Hill was released in September of 2009. The only books I show sold are the ones I purchased myself. My family alone have purchased more books than are shown on my royalty statements. Bond and the Big Green Hill was reviewed by several well known reviewers and is listed on numerous sites in a number of different countries. Author House states that the royalty statements are accurate. I am looking into applying for a secondary ISBN and publishing it with a different service. Let's help each other.

Bridget Renee Kendall
    Bond and the Big Green Hill, ISBN:9781449014582
    bridget.kendall@me.com

25th of Nov, 2010

I have published a book of peotry with Authorhouse and I have paid high dollars for this publishing and I have not received one cent in royalities: All they keep doing is calling me and asking me to pay for more marketing. I already marketed with them twice and I not planning on spending another penny. I truly agree and think this is a fraudulant company. I definitely want in on a Class Action against against them.
    Daphne Hillier
    daphneleona2005@hotmail.com

25th of Nov, 2010

I really think that Authorhouse is a scam. I have published a book with that company. I have spent a considerable amount of money in self publishing and marketing with this company and I have 0 royalites to show for it. I am sure they are getting rich from Innocent people who are seriously working hard writing books and trying to sell with Authorhouse publishing. I would gladly join in a class action against this company. I am sure it would be worth its weight in gold to find out what really goes on.

14th of Dec, 2010

This Publishing company sounds harsh. I hope you all find some form of redress, for your efforts.
    If there is anyone who wants to contact me, find me at superblake99@hotmail.com
    John

14th of Jan, 2011

I had a book published by AuthorHOuse in 2007. I was interviewed on the ABC Morning Show in Phoenix, AZ. I had several book signings wherein people brought the books they purchased through Amazon and Authorhouse to be signed. Tower Records definetely have copies of my book in their stores (under a different publishers name - Lightning House). The ISBN number was somewhat altered. I called Author House and asked for the name of their printer and of course it was Lightning Source who had my book on sale using their name, since its release. Fraud, Piracy and Theft are more accurate words to describe the way AuthorHouse does business. I intend to join the class action suit.

• Cd
      11th of Apr, 2011

Itried to contact Miss Barbara one number wirks other not taking calls also check ouit attorney it may be a scam because last week I posted about starting a class action suit these people are scam artist beware if this is legite.
    Chris thr333r3asons@msn.com contact me I'm ready to kick butt...

• Re
      15th of May, 2011

my name is Daniel G. Stewart Sr. I am the author of A MUDBOGGER AND OFFROADERS SARCASTIC DEFINITION OF A REDNECK SPORT . My book has been out since jan 09. Authorhouse has been giving me the run around even before it was live. Since it has been live my roalty checks have not reflected what i have seen watching the web. my book has been competing with jeff foxworthy and larry the cable guy for the past year running between #17 and #30 out of 140 bestsellers on barnes and noble and has been on god knows how many other bestselling lists i have seen also. After receiving my first royalty check from authorhouse i called them and asked them where are all the rest of my sales from the websites, the only sales reported on my statement were only what i and a friend had purchased. I told them i know i have sold more than that and the only response i got from the guy was PROVE IT! Since then i have watched my book continually ride on many bestsellers lists on the web and have been receiving royaltys of $2.65, $5.00, and $15.33. I know my books doing well and have a fan base on facebook . i know authorhouse is doctoring their report books and i need my money although i know i will never see my money back from my past sales that have been deleted from their files already, but it would be nice to maybe start seeing some in the future, someone definately needs to crack open their files and find out where all of our money is, thanx for this opportunity,
    Daniel G. Stewart Sr.
    618-534-2061
    redneckwriter@yahoo.com

• La
      4th of Jun, 2011

I completely agree and can relate with each and every one of you. I almost feel like an idiot but I now realize that this could've and "did" happen to others. I published my book, "Seductions of Her Past" in June of 2009 and received a check in December of 09' for $47.09 and hadn't seen another check since. I don't understand this when Barnes and Noble ordered bulks of books for me to do book signings not to mention my friends and family that went online to order the book. Something really should be done! If anyone gets a class law suit together please let me know. I've invested so much money into this book aside the costs of publishing it with this rip off of a company. Cocanuts69@yahoo.com is how I can be contacted.

• Fu
      4th of Jul, 2011

I was just told a book I published with authorhouse has sold over 300000 copies I have received royalties for less than 20 copies where is my money authorhouse?