Asset Recovery Associates [ARA] / unethical behaviour

I was contacted by a company who described themselves as ara. When I asked what that stood for they didn't answer. I was transferred to someone named kimberly wallace. I didn't get an answer after being on hold for a while so I hung up. About 30 minutes later I was contacted by kimberly wallace. She said she wanted to talk to me about a visa account. I asked her when was this account opened and she told me that it was opened about 40 years ago. I knew that was wrong. So I asked for a date and finally she told me that it was in 1991. I told her I did not know what she was talking about. She then asked me if I got a divorce around that time and I told her I did in 1992. She said it could have been from my ex wife. I told her I did not know but that I didn't know anything about it. She went on to tell me that a bank had gone to court and had obtained a judgement against me. I told her I never saw any correspondence from this bank and that I have never been subpoenaed to court so how did they get a judgement for a debt I don't know about that is at least 25 years old. She just told me that they did and that they would put a lien on my house and ruin my credit unless I didn't settle with them. I asked them how much they wanted and they told me the debt was about 2000 in principal and 4000 in interest. But that they would offer me a settlement of about 1500.00. I told her I don't have 1500 dollars and my only income is social security. She started telling me about the credit cards I now have and that I could use them to pay the settlement offer. I was really suspicious of this company not offering to provide any documentation or proof of their claim. So I told her to call me in an hour so that I could think about the situation. When she hung up I got on the web and looked up ara and found out all this information about them and none of it was good. I set my phone to block their number. I also found out through calling them back that ara stood for asset recovery associates. I am glad I had the sense to check the internet and call my cousin who is an attorney or these people might have scammed me.

Ke