Aspen Dental / ripped off

1 Auburn, NY, United States Review updated:

I visited Aspen Dental shortly after being relocated for work. During my first visit I was told that a deep scaling was needed to be performed in order to replace the porcelain. I agreed and had to come up with $1200 for the entire procedure. I went through the deep scaling and went back to start the porcelain work when I was told that I needed another $800 for the crown. At this point my bank acc't was depleted and I could not afford it. When I asked about the $1200 I paid, I was told that they needed to inject more antibiotics than they originally thought and I had to pay for it. So now I still have a chipped tooth with no money to pay for it. Thanks a lot Aspen Dental. You did NOT help my smile at all.

Gr

Comments

• Ru
      27th of Aug, 2008

I'm a Registered Dental Hygienist currently looking for employment, so I investigated this company of course. I've done my research and found that Aspen Dental has one of the most comprehensive treatment programs for periodontal disease out there. This is what I see many of you referring to as the "special cleaning".

Did it ever occur to you that the reason they suggested the scaling FIRST was so that your new shiny 'porcelain' doesn't fall off when your gums become more inflamed and infected? Or that untreated periodontal disease leads to tooth loss? Would you rather them try to fix the foundation problem you have going on in there or insert an $800 crown only to have you throw that money down the drain when your teeth start to become loose and the tooth needs to be taken out?

I guess the part of the complaints I agree with is that maybe the dentists aren't explaining the hygiene portion of the treatment clearly. If they did, perhaps there would be less griping on here about the perio treatment.

Dentists and Hygienists come out of school these days with far more knowledge about periodontal conditions and how they affect overall dental health. An old school dentist may not have that knowledge and therefore never diagnose it. This is where hygienists hear a lot of "nobody ever told me I have this condition..." Just ask me. The family dentist my parents used for years NEVER diagnosed any periodontal condition and now they're both in partials from tooth loss due to their conditions.

Maybe do a little more actual clinical research about why a practitioner is recommending the treatment. You might find your complaint a little less valid.