Altura Credit Union / NSF Fees and customer service

1 2847 Campus ParkwayRiverside County, United States Review updated:

Altura Credit Union is the king of NSF ripoffs. They say they are non-profit, but that is not true. They are always looking for ways to charge you some type of fee or debit your checking account before crediting any deposits you do to charge NSF fees. This needs to be regulated not in this economy, family's are trying to survive.

Altura Credit Union already closed some branches due to there poor customer service and lack of care with dealing with customer.

If you plan to open a checking or savings watch out because I assure you they will get you sooner or later, it don't matter if your a master at balancing your account.

THEY ARE WATCHING EVERY MINUTE TO TRY GET YOU.

SEIU members beware!

Altura Credit Union

Not Rated Not Rated | Write a Review
2847 Campus Parkway,
Riverside, CA 92507

Comments

• Cu
      24th of Jul, 2009

Altura in no way attempts to rip anyone off with NSF fees. In most cases you will generally see your deposits credited to your account before you see any debits. They are actually doing quite a bit to help members in this economy by offering free workshops to educate people about budgeting and even offering free one-on-one budget consultation and planning, loan modification, and foreclosure assistance.

The decision to close branches (which ended up only being one branch) had nothing to do with customer service, it had to do with the fact that the San Jacinto branch lease was coming to an end and in this economy it was necessary to make the difficult decision to close that branch knowing that there are two nearby branches in the Hemet area.

It's unfortunate you feel this way about Altura. I would strongly urge you to contact member service if you have a complaint that you want to make known to senior management. If you also feel you would like assistance with managing your checking account, please ask them about the Balance program.

• Ri
      24th of Jul, 2009

Its too bad that someone here at Altura may not have properly explained to you how you get a non-sufficient funds (NSF) fee. If you'd go to the Altura website and go onto live chat, someone will be more than happy to explain how you can avoid getting an NSF fee.

Thank you for making us aware of your concern.

• Re
      27th of Jul, 2009

I agree with you Xavier1126, theres no reason to accept this kindoff mess from any US banks, but they all seem to act like this.

They are getting away with it for years clearly and i'm suprised people seem to accept this, it's really a ripoff, they are only around couse we choose to bank with them.

Why can't they create a account for me that is protected for overdraft fees ? a real debit account, you make the purchase with your card, calls into the bank for aproval, and then allows/deny transaction depending on your funds.

Also the speed of the banks here is silly, why does it take so long before money is deposit on your account when you make a deposit for god sake even in there own office, there is really no technical reason why this couldnt be done.

I really hope the publics view on this will change, that they don't allow there banks to [censored] them over, pay a fees that are higher then the money you own them for a few days, thats beyond all reason.

I would advice you a shoebox or invest a save, that way you do have good realtime oversight of your money and you avoid those fees.

America has the strongest econemy for decades but the most terrible slow old fashion banking i've ever seen anywhere.

• Su
      18th of Oct, 2009

I agree with Xavier1126, It's true I just got an NSF fee from Altura Credit Union. I walked into the branch to try to resolve it and I got the worse customer service from the bank reps.

They had this snooby attitude and said that it was not bank error and could not remove the NSF fee. I explained to them that the debit had not posted yet because I checked online, it had a 3 day wait period, but they still charged the NSF fee.

I think Altura needs to do something about this because it is bad publicity for business. I contacted member services and haven't heard back at all.

We want our money back!

SEIU member.

I will talk to my Union to get help.

• Pe
      2nd of Mar, 2011

i have to say this guy is right. i am the kind of total neurotic person who immediately logs everything, budgets ahead of time for everything, and checks my account online every few days to check off what's gone through and what hasn't, and make sure my info and the banks are the same. i've NEVER had an overdraft problem anywhere else. i put up with Altura charging me NSF fees when i did NOT overdraft, which would in turn cause me to overdraft, for a couple YEARS before i left. initially, they would admit their mistake and refund the fees, so i stayed. after months of this they got extremely hostile and were adamant about talking in circles around me and even yelling at me when i was being civil. i would literally bring in my printed out statement from online, showing an available balance of $100, for example, a transaction for $30 or so, which would leave $70 available in the acct, and an overdraft fee for $30, as well as an overdraft fee after every proceeding transaction until i WAS overdrafted. and they STILL were [censored]es about it. i even reported them to the Better Business Bureau (which EVERYONE) who's had this experience should do!) and they refused to budge, insisting the fees were appropriate, and the BBB wasn't interested in seeing all the proof i had to the otherwise. they literally ripped me off for close to a thousand dollars in 6 months time. i've spoken to a class action lawyer about possibly contacting Altura's other customers and bringing justice for this scam, and they are interested and say this company is definitely breaking the law, but we will see what happens.

• Pe
      2nd of Mar, 2011

btw we are with BBVA compass now, formerly guaranty bank, and they have been very fair. like a traditional bank. we have been pleased with their business practices since we left the horrifying altura experience. perhaps you guys should try them :)

• Xa
      2nd of Mar, 2011

Pegaleiway, I am glad to hear you moved on. Gather the flock and take Altura Credit Union to court. I will also file a complaint with BBB. More and more Altura victims will surface... we need to unite to get justice!

• Tw
      5th of Nov, 2011

Does anyone know where I can find any information on a class action law suit me and my family can join? My husband and I have an account with Altura along with my father’s 2 accounts my brother’s 1 and my mother’s 4. Last month Altura charged my mother $1290.00 in NSF charges and she only spent a total of $572.00 the entire month; also she has not had even one NSF fee all year. I call Altura and demanded them to refund the fees because most of the transactions were for $.99 to $2.99 per transaction. What they did was process the debits and then later in the same day processed her SS check. They are refusing to refund all the charges and after yelling at the manager for like 2 hours she finally said they would review the account and they might refund some of the NSF fees, but I will not find out till Monday. Needless to say, we are all closing are Altura accounts and finding another credit union to bank with.

• Al
      3rd of Feb, 2012

After being treated rudely, dinged for fee after fee, account mistakes, argumentative and unprofessional "managers", treated like criminals for being late on loans (even though we were in constant contact with them during a brief financial slump) we have taken our accounts elsewhere. Our grown kids have taken their accounts elsewhere as well. We've not been quiet about how unprofessional Altura Credit Union is with minimum wage, disgruntled employees on power trips in their little domains. Why would anyone stay at this Credit Union when there are really no Pro's to keeping your accounts there? I thought a credit union was supposed to have more of a personal touch and be community oriented. Altura is financial straits and makes big $$$ on bogus fees every time you turn around. They need some in-house cleaning to get rid of the unprofessional, lazy, arrogant employees and revamp their business model and ethics.

• Sr
      12th of Sep, 2012

I've had it!! This is the last time altura will rip off!! They held funds from a pending transaction which put me over by 36 CENTS and they charged me $60!! They have stolen hundreds of dollars from me!! I've put up with this nonsense long enough. Any with a class action lawsuit for altura please let me know, I and several others would be more than happy to jump on. Oh and their customer service representative and managers are a joke. They not only cannot justify their actions they are rude and unhelpful! Any lawyers reading these complaints please help!

• Fe
      29th of Jan, 2013

In the mast year I have also been charged in over $1, 500 in Overdraft fees. Mainly from restaurant purchases. They put a hold on my available balance for the original charges and them put the total amount charged including the tip before releasing the original hold charge. they claim this is the restaurant's fault yet it happens at ALL restaurants. I never have had this problem with another bank so i know it is them. When contacting customer service they are VERY RUDE and UNWILLING to HELP. I hate this bank!!! PLEASE HELP ANY LAWYER> I HAVE TONS OF PROOF!!!

• Br
      24th of Oct, 2017

Hmmmm I transfer money when I have a positive balance only to check my account 4 hours later to see a courtesy charge of 29.00$. For some reason the bank decided to credit the transaction when I did it and then somehow it disappeared when the debit came through to bring my account negative to charge me the $29.00 dollars and then it mysteriously appeared again. This is the same bank that charged me to send me an ATM that I never received then charged me again when I had to go into the back to order another one because they never sent the one I paid for over the phone. Not to mention the rent check that my landlord shows bounced and never paid their bank, but was shown taken out of my account and Altura till this day will not take ownership for the $1800.00 that my landlord's bank has given me document proving that Altura returned the check insufficient funds.This is not the first time this bank has returned a check and taken the money out of my account.