Allegheny Power / Terrible experience

United States Review updated:
Allegheny Power
First, they overcharged us thousands of kilowatt hours that was only found because we found it. Gee, they 'estimate' our usage many times higher than it is, consistently. I wonder why that is? They basically said 'Oops'!

That translated into a $350 reduction of our electric bill. (We KNEW they were wrong - we are frugal! Lights off, utilities unplugged when not in use, freezing our tushies off all winter NOT turning on the electric heat, hovering in front of a wood stove to stay warm!)

Here's the kicker. One week after we called them on their over-estimation, we get a letter the basically states: Our research has indicated you are under-secured. Therefore, you must pay an additional $351 security deposit (think the amount is coincidental? Me thinks not...) due with your next bill. If you do not pay this deposit in full with your next bill, your electric service may be terminated.

We have had this account for two years, paid a security deposit when we started it (which they still have), and we're managing to meet our obligations in spite of a rotten economy. So why do they want more at this time?

You know what their excuse for this additional security deposit is (besides the fact that the government has lifted the regulations on the industry so the pirates are free to rape and pillage at will?) They are doing it to offset losses from foreclosures where people are walking away from their final bills. Oh, THAT makes sense, put it on the backs of us who are barely surviving, push MORE people to the brink of foreclosure. How about your executives take a modest cut in pay instead?

I REALLY, REALLY HATE CORPORATE GREED! Especially in these times when we should all be looking for solutions together, not having to deal with Corporations grabbing all the loot they can while running to their off-shore hideaways in their corporate jets.

So, if you have your electricity through Allegheny Power, let them know you dislike their unfair practices. And look into other options for electricity providers. If you don't – stay as far away from this company as you possibly can.

All I can say to Allegheny Power is this - BAD FORM! Now, as to what I can DO about it - that is another story altogether. Filing complaints on websites such as this is merely the beginning of my perfectly legal and multi-armed attack against their corporate greed. I have also filed complaints with the Pennsylvania Utilities Commission, the BBB, and the President's Commission on Energy, to name a few.

A  14th of Apr, 2009 by
Allegheny Power complaint; Good for you! GO for the Juggler. This just shows everybody how incompentent washington runs the country.
A  28th of May, 2009 by
I agree that meters should be read every month. My bill for Jan., Feb., March were all estimated, sucks, now this month, April was read and it was really high, May is estimated real low. I have read my own meter but it's a pain. Companies should do it. Three months in a row estimated. What's their excuse and it better not be the weather for I had to go to work in it.
N  28th of Dec, 2010 by
I have Alleg.Power you can plainly see by the $$ multiplier on my Bill, that they just took a raise in 2009. Yet I just received
a letter from them, saying they haven't had a raise since 1999,
and are planning one in January 2011. This is crooked!
Timothy A Gigliotti
I'm tired of their games, I'm going to try to get the Pa Attorney
General involved in an Investigation.
A  2nd of May, 2011 by
My Bill for April 2011 was $1100.00 for a 1500 square foot home. April was sort of a mild month. How in the world could our bill be $1100. When we bought the house 11 years ago a $200 bill was a large one. What has happened? And unless you keep all your paper bills, you cannot really know what your usage was/is. They should be required to show all this information on the website so customers can evaluate what they are being charged.

FirstEnergy Corporation Logo FirstEnergy Corporation