Airfare.com / Personnel ID theives

1 Arizona, United States Review updated:

October 31 2008, Airfare.com, refusal to cancel a purchase while in process.

I was purchasing tickets through Airfare.com today, when I got notice that my credit card could not be processed. Through email I was asked to FAX my card info, card photo-copies and drivers licenses. I called to find out if this was a legitimate business, staff person said to cross out parts that I did not want to be seen and FAX to process my card. I called again to say that I will not do this as it was too much information to be given out and in to cancel the reservations. This time the staff person got upset with me when I stated that I wanted cancel the tickets. I hung-up. He immediately called back wanting to know why I hung-up. I told him I was cancelling the tickets, and he stated that he would “get the sheriff to collect the money.” – well done customer service, I hung-up again. I then called my bank and they put a conference call together to yet another Airfare.com staff person who repeatedly recited their policy. Several times he stated that I needed to fill out a form that would not be processed until Monday. He repeatedly stated that when I pushed “continue” it was saying I agreed with the terms of the purchase. I feel once I got the “Airfare.com Has Sent You Authorization form to Sign” email and did not send it back in after Airfare.com requested it, I therefore did not authorize the use of my card. Airfare is trying to have it both ways- either my card was invalid or not, it seems it was not until I did not want to FAX my personnel information and cancel the transaction. I find it difficult to understand why my card was not ok to be approved, could not be approved without my “authorization” after it was requested, and now can not be canceled, all within a couple of hours time. Lessons learned, never use debit card on-line, and never use Airfare.com.

Ja

Comments

Pa
  2nd of Nov, 2008

i had a similar experience. why do they want me to send my personal documents, no other travel agent i know of needs this. what makes them so special? is it that thay are really Identity thieves? it's very suspect. the customer service is the rudest and worst i have ever encountered. give airfare.com a wide birth. they are unprofessional boardering on criminal.

Ra
  8th of Jun, 2009

I bought a ticket at a great price in the States about 5 days in advance and they requested that I confirm payment with my bank from France. I did so, and the bank was adamant that payment had been received on Airfare.com's part. I thought all was clear for me to travel until that day, so I took a shuttle to the airport about two hours away. On the way there, I decided to call the airline company because I was skeptical that airfare.com had failed to respond after payment was confirmed. They said that I had a reservation under my name, however they could not let me on the flight because my ticket was not issued. I called airfare.com and they said that I needed to send authorization for my credit card before the ticket could be issued. My flight was leaving in a couple hours, but I was still able to get all the info I needed to send. I called them back, but now they were saying that they had not received any funds, so they could not issue my ticket. I had my mother go to the bank and talk to the manager of the branch to see where the money was. The bank said that the exact amount for my ticket had been received and thus could not canceled or withheld. Airfare.com, however, was maintaining that no payment was received and could not issue the ticket. Naturally, I was not allowed on my flight. I contacted the bank again, and they still said airfare.com had my money and they could do nothing about it. Airfare.com said that they never received payment. Now, I have $1200 I can not track down and am stuck with family a couple hours from where I live. Airfare.com is playing ignorant and have failed to offer me any kind of assistance. I think they are a fraudulent company, not to mention extremely unreasonable with their customers. Through this whole ordeal, I must have talked to the entire company and I failed to find anyone helpful. In fact, they are quite the opposite. For example, if you ask a question they tell you something completely unrelated that accommodates their stance. I would ask the same question over and over again to have someone complete ignore it and tell me that everything was ok. Yeah right. They also are really bad about talking back, cutting you off, hanging up on you, and not calling back. And of course, when you want to talk to a superior or someone with authority, the person who you are talking to is automatically it. Once I was directed to their financial department, but when I asked to talk to them a couple of days later to one of the jerks I was talking to, I was told there was no such thing. I have to say this is the worst business I have dealt with.

Ca
  4th of Nov, 2009

I wish I'd read this before booking with them
First off, none of the people can really speak English, which makes me wonder if they are really using this information for identity theft.
I've called American Express and I will be sending them a strongly worded letter suggesting they refrain from business with this company

Ja
  7th of Jul, 2010

This is a fraud website, which gave me tons of trouble. I'm still trying to get my money back! They charged me more than 1000 dollars and the "so called" air ticket is voided after contacting with the airline company.
I'm wondering why this fraud website can become the agent of so many airline companies!!!

Sp
  22nd of Jul, 2010

Since 1979, Airfare.com parent company has been dedicated to accommodating travelers with top value airfare made possible by discounted airline consolidation. In 1995, we became the first airline discounter to go online. Over this period of time, airfare.com has continually strived to provide world-class customer service and affordable airfare prices. We handle hundreds of thousands reservations a year and have dealt with millions of different transactions since our company has been in business. We are a fully bonded travel company, a verified merchant of authorize.net, an ARC appointed member of ASTA, a member of IATAN, Visa Verified, a member of Master Card Secure Code, Diners Club International, Discover Card Financial Services, American Express, and all bookings are Secured by GeoTrust Secure Socket Layer.

Airfare.com understands that identity theft and fraudulent charges happen every day when making online bookings. For this reason airfare.com is 100% committed to protecting cardholders from fraudulent transactions. We work with the law enforcement authorities, VeriSign security officials, airport authorities, AntiFraud.com, Internet Fraud Watch, Merchant Fraud Squad and Merchant 911 on a regular basis. The authorization form was a required document to prove the identity of the card holder. We have requested this form with the copies of the credit card and photo ID only to protect our customers, not to commit any type of fraud. 97% of our bookings are to international destinations and many of the destinations have a high incidence of fraud so we have to double check for fraud frequently in these cases to protect our customers. By doing this process we have identified hundreds of cases of fraud ever month and report them to the authorities.
However, as of July 14th, 2010, we are now using a new system that will help us in protecting our customers from identity theft; so, we will not be asking for our customers to send in copies of their credit card and photo id. In certain cases we will still request the authorization form with requested copies and dollar verifications. Hopefully in by doing this process we can still protect all of our customers from identity theft, fraudulent charges, and still provide 100% customer satisfaction to all of our clients.

Airfare.com is a fully bonded travel company that follows all rules/restrictions placed upon us. Our company culture also insists upon exceeding customer expectations by looking for every avenue to assist our customers. If you have any comments, questions and/or concerns please feel free to contact our Special Operations team at feedback@airfare.com. This team is specially dedicated to working diligently to resolve every customer concern.

Sp
  9th of Aug, 2010

Dear Traveler,
I am not satisfied with the experience you had with airfare.com. Please email me with your booking reference number, contact phone number and a good time for me to call you at feedback@airfare.com. I promise that I will look into this situation and I will do what we can to resolve the problem.
Again, I apologize for the experience you had with us, please give us the oppurtiutnty to make it right.
Regards,
Adrian
Special Operations Manager

Mr
  1st of Jun, 2012
Airfare.com - Airfare customer care is a scam

I had booked online on Airfare.com for a trip to India. Later, I had change in plans. Instead of return early I had to return late. I first tried to cancel the ticket and found out the ticket was a non refundable ticket so I was hoping to do a date change.
Whenever I tried to reach the toll free or the other number listed on the site it took 30 mins for someone to even answer, there would be just music. When I got to them, they would not even provide any response and say send an email. Once I sent the email they never respond. I had to follow up with 2 to 3 mails before I could get any response. Again since I didn't get a proper response I tried calling again and the agents used to just hang up on me.
Then they said if you have to change the flight fill up a form and send a fax, when i tried faxing there was no response. I tried calling again and again it took 30 mins and they just hung just as told my confirmation number.
I was hoping atleast there would have been a better response. I finally just cancelled the ticket even though I am taking the same flight on the same day on the onward journey. I lost close to $1500, just to try and save some 20 bucks.. Please dont use Airfare ever even if you get a cheaper ticket. This is a request and a suggestion to anyone who uses Airfare.com

Ih
  29th of Jun, 2012
Airfare.com - Customer Service
Airfare.com
airfare.com

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE
I called – and talked to someone, quite rude, on the other side of the world, he even finished the call without solving my issue
Not worth at all. Airfare.com also charged us extra for paper tickets and those never arrived, when I called I was told that the policy changed and now they issues etickets. I will never use them again