ADT Security Service Contract / adt lied to secure contract

1 4511 willow road suite 8Pleasanton, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-746-7238

An ADT sales rep got us to sign up for service by promising us a month-to-month plan that could be canceled at anytime for any reason. "Nothing to lose" he said. In a classic bait-and-switch we were placed on a 2 year plan with a $500 early termination fee. We discovered this by accident when contacting ADT for an unrelated issue. Over the past 6 months we have spoken to countless ADT customer service reps and managers, while they believe we are telling the truth, all tell us there is nothing that can be done. One rep went as far as to tell us ADT is in the business of making money and therefore would not alter our contract as it's just not company policy to do so. The sales tactics of the ADT sales rep who sold us our contract were both unethical and illegal yet ADT refuses accountability. We are frustrated and disappointed in ADT as we expected much better service from such a large firm. Google "ADT lied" and you will see we are not alone.

Er

Comments

• Er
      24th of Apr, 2008

If anyone has a complaint about ADT security or any other business, be sure the file formal complaints with the FTC (Federal Trade Comission) at ftc.gov and also with the BBB (Better Business Bureau). By doing this the pattern of abuse is recorded and ultimately the company will be investigated by the authorities and held accountable for laws they might be breaking.

• Co
      29th of Apr, 2009

Venting about a ### employee that I'm sure is fired by no is no means the representation of a company. If you have ever ran a business you will hire a turd time to time. But they all show themselves and get canned.

Your lesson here is that you did not read what you signed. A 2 year contract. That is nobodies fault but your own. Lesson well learned.

Not complaint's I see on the system Install or service you are paying monthly. That's the ADT part you left out.

I agree with the above comment. The internet is a garbage can full of venters and non legetimate complaints on many companies. If you truly have a complaint go to the BBB or the FTC. They only post real complaints of a company. Unlike the world wide web.

• Ho
      17th of Oct, 2009

I would like to comment on the last comment. The poster "common sense" implied he "ran a business" and "you will hire a turned time to time"...and that it is the fault of the complaintant for not reading the contract before signing. Although I agree you should read all contractual obligations carefully before signing, it does not give the company a free pass because they have to "hire a turd time to time".

Blaming a hookwinked consumer for unethical behavior of businesses is ridiculous.

• St
      25th of May, 2010

People Don, t post In this Site...Tthis Site Is made just to sabotage the Image of other companies and Complaints Board gets Paid to do this, Most of the posts are being posted by their blooddy writers inorder to keep this site active ...

19th of Aug, 2010

I completely agree with honest business owner's take below:

"The employee represents the company, the employee lied to and deceived a consumer regarding the company's intentions. The company has an obligation to provide customers and potential customers with the truth regarding their products, services and contractual obligations. If the company profits from employee deception and does not provide a fair resolution to the customer to whom was deceived, then the company is clearly condoning unethical business practices among its employees and should be held accountable."

The employee is an agent of it's company. An Agent is authorized to act on behalf of a Principal to create a legal relationship with a Third Party. The principal in this case was the ADT and the employee is ADT's agent, so ADT is responsible for the acts an ommissions of its agent. BTW, I am in the middle of fighting a month-to-month contract from the same location of ADT where the salesperson wrote on the contract mont-to-month. ADT's agents use deceptive practices to secure contracts.

• Co
      17th of Dec, 2010

I had ADT without any real issue but we were about to purchase a house and informed them that we would be canceling the service and was told that the would be a 75% of the remaining balance of the contract - EVEN CELL PHONE COMANIE DO NOT CHARGE THAT OUTRAGEOUS FEE FOR EARLY TERMINATION! EXCESSIVE TO SAY THE LEAST and we were told that if we moved that the service could be ported over or it could be cancel for a NOMINAL FEE - NOT 75% of the remaining contract.

So I no long live at the residence of service and they still are billing and they even increased the monthly service fee to top if off.

I WARN ANYONE TO NEVER NEVER NEVER USE ADT - THEY ARE UNETHICAL AND SHOULD BE TAKEN TO COURT! I HAVE JFILED A REPORT WITH THE BBB - BUT DO NOT THINK THAT IT WILL DO ANY GOOD - ADT JUST BUYS IT RATINGS WITH THE BBB LIKE MOST OTHER BUSINESSES!

• Li
      10th of Feb, 2011

South Carolina Residents can be assured of our commitment to honesty and service. Please visit http://1stpriorityalarm.com where Protecting You and Your Family is Our First Priority

• Ad
      6th of Jul, 2011

I have recently started working for ADT and have quickly found out that the dealer network has most often been at the heart of the problems. The have been known to bait and switch more then once. The problemI have is I don't understand is why customers do not read the "3 year contract" fine print before they signed it. It spells EVERYTHING out in full.

My suggestion is read it before you sign it!

• Al
      30th of Dec, 2013

I know a lot of people who have started using http://www.polosecurity.com/en/services.html instead, because of these problems. What do you know about them? I've been wondering for a while where to get my security system from.