Acorn Stairlifts / Warranty worthless

1 4525 Vineland Road, Suite 207Orlando, FL, United States Review updated:

From August 2007 to date, Acorn Stairlifts declines to honor its one year and lifetime warranty for a stairlift purchased December 2006. Contacted Acorn numerous times over many months, experienced many delaying tactics. Their authorized repairperson couldn't repair stairlift--and we had to pay extra for the repair visit. Acorn will not honor its lifetime warranty--for which we paid extra. Acorn alleges dealer is responsible (Stairlifts Online US); dealer alleges Acorn is responsible--no one takes responsibility. We are out over $2, 000 and are stuck with a stairlift that does not work. An independent electrician couln't repair the stairlift. We don't want others, especially elderly and disabled, to go through what we've been through.

Va

Comments

• Mi
      5th of Feb, 2009

I live in New Zealand and we too have an Acorn Superglide 120 that will go down but not up. Australasian Distributor doesn't want to know. We paid nearly US$10, 000 for both an indoor and outdoor lift in 2006 and I would have hoped it might have lasted more than 22 months.
    These things are cheap and nasty junk and I will do whatever it takes to see to it that they never sell another one in New Zealand.
    If you need a stairlift... do yourself a huge favour and go see Stannah!
    Mike Glover
    66 Hamilton Road,
    R.D. 4,
    Thames 3574,
    New Zealand
    +64 7 867-5630

• Ad
      8th of Oct, 2009

If it's advertised on TV, it's either a scam, a ripoff or very poor quality. ALWAYS, ALWAYS Google it for complaints, before loosing your money.

• Te
      9th of Jan, 2010

we live in scotland, and just before christmas 2009 purchased an acorn stairlift. it was installed and is working fine so fa.r. what is annoying me is the fact that i was infact asked to recommend the stair lift to friends etc even before the thing was installed. now, we are being telephoned frequently and being asked if we wish to take out an extended warranty for a very hefty sum of money. we paid quite a lot of money for this stair lift. at no time were we advised of any extended warranties or how much it would cost. another very annoying fact was that the caller ( who never supplied either his name or the company he worked for), refused to listen to anything i had to say. i told him i didnt want his 4year warranty because it was too expensive. his comeback was to say that i should take out a 10year warranty as it would work out cheaper over the years!!! he also asked for bank account details. very private info that is none of his bloody business. i feel this is borderline harassment. the man refuses to be told. in future if he phones me i will be giveing him short shrift. if i had been informed of warranties and their cost before i even thought of purchasing the stair lift, then i'm very sure i would have declined and looked else where. at the moment the stairlift is working fine, but i do feel the company should be upfront about ALL costs before anyone signs on the dotted line. there should be no hidden costs. this has all left a nasty taste in my mouth. i was very impressed with acorn initially, but they have went way down in my estimations.

• St
      5th of Apr, 2010

As far as I know the only thing that is under the lifetime warranty on Acorn is the gear box and motor. Everything else - circuit board, switchs, wiring, etc only has a one year warranty. But, Acorn advertises all the time that their Stair lifts comes with a life time warranty. It does, but only for the gearbox and motor - read the warranty! Or go online and read it.
    Most of the authorized technicians are independant contractors and do not work for Acorn, so they do usually charge a fee for repairs.
    I believe if you look at the warranty on Acorns it will say in writing that labor is not included in the warranty. Actually I think it says if any component should fail, due to faulty manufacture, during the first year of ownership, Acorn will replace it free of charge. After that first year is up, you have to pay for whatever is not working.
    I don't work for Acorn, but I do repair a lot of different stair lifts, including Acorn and I always charge for my services. I try my best to repair it without having to replace parts, but sometimes the circuit boards, as well as other items do go out and you have to replace them. In the last 3 years I have replaced 5 circuit boards in Acorn. My customer pays whatever the parts cost from the factory, I don't charge extra for it like some repair people do.
    I am a repair person, but I don't charge a cent if I can't repair it. I have been known to replace the whole unit when it something I can't figure out.
    Don't ever take a extended warranty on any product, no matter what it is. Just tell them no.

• Mi
      21st of Apr, 2010

I wrote about Acorn some 439 days ago. Since that time, the new Representative based in Auckland, has been here and fixed the wretched thing!

I also had a call from him at 7:55 am today, demanding that I remove my post on this website; which is extraordinary, because it took more than two years for Acorn to get around to making this thing work. I don't appreciate hysteria at that hour, nor do I like their attitude (at any hour).

So, for the record... I E-mailed my initial enquiry to Acorn Australia and that was responded to by Mr Jack, from Acorn's Sydney office. He put me in touch with their New Zealand agent, Pandect Electric Solutions, who came and measured up the track length and quoted for two stair-lifts. I accepted the quotation of nearly US$10, 000 and the equipment was subsequently installed. Pandect, the Acorn sales agent for New Zealand, was then sold to a new owner.

The outside stair-lift began leaking gear oil from the gear casing nearly 12 months after purchase, so I complained and requested service under warranty. A couple of local contractors turned up, who said we have never seen anything like that and promptly left. Sometime later, they returned and replaced a socket on the indoor unit and removed the outdoor unit off it's rail and returned it Christchurch. Subsequently, a service unit was sent, which was refitted to the rail, but it was faulty in so much as it would go down, but not up. Pandect sent me a bill for about US$350, which I refused to pay.

After negotation, the original owner of pandect agreed to sort the matter out and the bill was quietly dropped, but I was left with a stair-lift that was useless... in so much as it would go down, but not up. I went to every Government agency that I thought might be able to help me, I called Mr Jack in Sydney, but he refused to take my call. So I posted my concerns on this web-site.

Subsequently, Acorn set up an office in Auckland and out of the blue, I had a phone call from this new Representative. So... he went off with an ear-full and said he would try and sort it out. Months later he came and actually fixed it, two and a half years after the stair-lift had died on it's rail.

The initial gearbox fault was well known to their service department... it was caused by the factory incorrectly torquing the casing bolts on the gearbox in initial assembly. Which left Acorn in breech of New Zealands Consumer Guarantees Act (1994) in so much as; the goods were not fit for the purpose for which intended, were not of merchantable quality, did not do what they were intended to do, did not last for a reasonable time, did not match a trade sample (good grief!). They also breech the Act, by their inability to supply parts (yep, Superglide 120 is superceded and there are no parts: apparently), which The Consumer Guarantees Act says they must do for a period of at least 5 years after purchase.

Which brings me their warranty. Their warranty is in addition to that given by The Consumer Guarantees Act (1994) and because the goods are being used privately, they cannot contract out of it. But their lifetime warranty on the gearbox and motor brings little comfort, because travel and labour to actually fix it, are excluded. I feel for anyone living in a Country without strong consumer laws.

So todays phone call... I was shouted down and threatened by Acorns local agent and he demanded that I remove my post of nearly a year and a half ago. Not bloody likely sunshine. You can go forth and multiply (or words to that effect)... but of course, I have already told you that!

I stand by my original statement... if you are in the market for a stairlift, go and see Stannah FIRST! Each and every one of them come with a 10 year unconditional warranty; which is absolutely priceless!

Michael Glover,
    R.D. 4
    Thames 3574
    Phone me +64 7 867 5630 Mobile +64 21 311 868
    E-mail michael.glover@clear.net.nz

• Da
      13th of May, 2010

Acorn are abissmisal even in the UK too!

11th of Jun, 2010

I agree with these customers. I live in Boston, MA. Purchased an Acorn lift 3 months ago and today they are calling from Florida asking me to purchase an extended warranty. 1395.00 for 4 years. I had to laugh at the girl. We are on soc security and cannot afford something like that. I asked her if they had no faith in these units to last more than one year. Then she said maybe they have a better deal for people on soc security, like 800.00 or so. I got rid of her real fast. Told her a warranty for this unit was not worth more than 79.00 for three years. Needless to say that ended the conversation. What a RIPOFF!! I can buy a 10 year warranty for a car for under 500.00.
    V. Williams

• De
      2nd of Jul, 2012

I agree. We had one installed 1 year ago July 2011. Acorn has made 10-12 repairs on the chair lift since including replaceing the entire rail/track, motors and battery packs. Acorn is now insisting that we purchase an extended warranty for ... $1, 926.00 for 4 years (which is a bargain?) up front. We are disabled and cannot afford this in one payment. They apparently do not have confident in their product. What was that other company's name...?

• Cl
      28th of May, 2013

We agree with ALL NEGATIVE comments! We just paid $250.00 for a service call. Chair is 8 months old. There was a bad limit switch, under warranty but Acorn would not warranty the switch because I installed the lift myself!! The faulty switch has nothing to do with the installation, it was FAULTY!! Donot buy an Acorn product, period!

• Pb
      14th of Aug, 2013

I am a physically disabled woman who can no longer get up and down the stairs. I cannot walk, so I have to crawl (literally)! I have had this stupid chair for a tear and a 1/2, and had so many problems since. I called their 888 number, and a supposed representative answered (a woman) and told me that all reps were busy assisting other customers. So, she asked me for my name, phone, and address, and told me that someone would call me back within 24 hours. I told her that I will just wait for someone to get on the line because I am not going to wait another day for someone one to call me back. She said that is the only way its going to work, so she gave me another phone number to call (866 #), and guess who answered the phone? SHE DID! I couldn't believe it! I asked if there was someone else that I could speak to her besides herself out of the entire call center, and she said no. that she was the only one! No Supervisor or anything! I was furious! I told her that if I do not hear from anyone by the end of the day, that I will contact my lawyer. They are scammers! I will not quit until this matter is resolved in my favor!

• Ju
      26th of Jun, 2014

This is a scam you are correct! The PHONE Call to them is a waste of your time and effort. DO NOT buy this. Our thyseen kemp went bad and we bought this. lasted 3 weeks, 2 years old. The "board" c78 is bad. a new board is $600!! A computer board for a complicated hvac unit is $50. AND has a 3 year warranty!! This is a simple board and $600 is ROBBERY and no warranty.

Get yourself a mini elevator installed in a closet somewhere these stairlifts are a rip off. you can reach me a RentNashville@aol for more info 6.26.14