Access America / Claim Denial

2805 N. Parham Rd.Richmond, United States Review updated:
Phone: (800) 654-1908

On July 12th, 2008 at the end of my weeklong ski vacation in Portillo, Chile, my tour operator cancelled all transporation service due to a storm that forced all roads out of the resort to shut down. I called Access America to confirm coverage immediately after finding out about the interruption and was assured that the situation would be covered under my policy. This caused me to stay an extra night at the hotel, spend an extra night at my connection city and spend additional fees for changing my flight. Upon returning home from my trip, I turned in all the required documents which was immediately denied. I immediately filed a complaing with the California Dept. of Insurance for their practice of denying claims without just cause. I offered to request a new letter from the tour operator stating the situation to more closely match how the verbage of the policy was but was told that I had to go through their appeals board. Their appeals board stated that the tour operator would have to cease their entire service for my situation to apply, so basically, had this been an airline cancelling a flight, they could claim that the airline would have to shut down completely for them to pay a claim.
Rd

Comments

Br
  16th of Mar, 2009
They make your life miserable until you finally give up. I would never recommend their services.
Un
  3rd of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I just got screwed by this company also. I booked a flight, and selected the option for insurance in case of change in 10 days after booking. We then needed to make an emergency change due to a Visa problem. I called Orbitz, was referred to Access American Voice mail service and was not helped. I then went to the web and BBB and seen how many complaints this scam was running. What can I do to resolve my problem with this company?
Je
  26th of Oct, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I bought Access America through AAA and had an accident overseas when traveling (I hit my head and had to have cosmetic stitches put in on my face and had to see several doctors for that :((). I filed the claim and they denied it and then said that they are going to contact the hospital overseas to verify that I really had a trauma. It's been a year since they paid only for the parts of the new tickets I had to purchase when I had a trauma. Not only they didn't pay what they owed me but are also accusing me of frauding them claiming that my documents are not genuine. I am flabbergasted at the impudence of this company and I feel sorry because I even bothered to file a claim with them, considering that the amount was not that high, since most of the money I had to pay of my pockets with no receipts given me at the hospitals, but what receipts I was fortunate to get from doctors and file for the support of my claim, Access America is telling me that they are fake..Enough that I my whole vacation was spoiled because of the face trauma and now I have to tolerate all this emotional trauma in top of that?? What's happening, aren't they supposed to protect my interests when I am traveling???
Ju
  5th of Feb, 2010
I've already complained to:

1. Attorney General Office in Virginia because the company is based in Richmond.
2. The California Insurance Bureau (that's where I'm based).
3. The Better Business Bureau

There is only one way to deal with these companies -- which is to take action. I cannot tolerate companies that take advantage of people in tragic times.
Ni
  10th of Mar, 2010
This is not a good company, they make every effort not to reimburse your claim.
If you do not want to waste your money do not purchase any insurance from them. I have really very bad experinece with them.
Cd
  23rd of Sep, 2010
I agree that Access America is a waste of money. I bought their travel insurance when I purchased a ticket through Delta. I filed a claim when I had to cancel my trip due to a job interview which was during the time I would of been gone. And of course they denied the claim. I would never buy travel insurance through this company again and sure do not recommend it to anyone. They are just a complete rip off!
Ma
  20th of Oct, 2010
I have used Access America this year with no problem; 100 per cent of my money was refunded within 2 weeks. I had an accident day before my plane trip to Venice to catch a cruise line. Went to my doctor, and she said NO TRIP, you can't walk. I filed necessary paper work, had doctor fill out Medical Claim, had all my "ducks in a row" and had no problem in getting my refund returned, over $10, 000 was cost of total trip including air, hotel, and cruise for 18 days. A lot of people I noticed on the complaints area had a lot of pre-existent conditions and I can understand that they would not get reimbursed, read the fine print. There is cancellation insurance out there that can be purchased for cancellation for no reason at all but it is very costly starting out at $700 and up depending on price of trip.
Jo
  3rd of Mar, 2011
Purchased travel insurance and at a time when people are being evacuated from the Middle East and we cancelled our trip, they deny my claim, citing denial due to riots, which is specifically mentioned as not covered. I'm sure that is true, but it makes no sense whatsoever. Apparently, the reference is buried and that the insurance is actually only for medical conditions. What a rip off! Who in the devil would want to travel into an area where riots are occurring?
Sh
  28th of Mar, 2011
I agree that so far this "insurance coverage" is nothing more than a huge headache that we do not need right now. My daughter and her roommate were in Japan when the Earthquake and Tsunami hit and after almost a week decided to come home due to the uncertainty of the reactors and how the radiation could affect them. We rebooked their flights and paid almost $800.00 to get them on a plane quickly. I filled out about 35 pages of claims and submitted them and immediately they were denied. They said it was due to them choosing to come home becuase of a travel bulletin - apparetnly there is a clause in the insurance that won't cover travel bulletins. So, now they say we can appeal - you bet we will appeal and they should be ashamed. Major disaster in Japan but they cannot manage to say yes to the claim???? I guess all I have to say at this point is NEVER AGAIN!!!

Access America Transport Inc. Logo Access America Transport Inc.
Overall Satisfaction Rating