Access America / Don't Bother

I booked my daughter's holiday visit thru Orbitz who use Access America as their supplier of trip insurance.

My daughter's Boxing Day flight out of Victoria to Vancouver was canceled due to a snow storm. Air Canada's first available rebooking was 5 days later and it required an extra day layover in San Salvador so we were looking at a 6 day interruption on a 16 day vacation. I went online and found flights for the next day on American Airlines thru Seattle. We had trip interruption & cancellation insurance so they would cover us for the difference right? Well I got my daughter to call Access America to double check (I couldn't call because Access America doesn't accept collect calls from Belize) and they told her "no problem". I booked the flights & got my daughter to cancel the rebooks. I also went to Access America's website & initiated a travel claim.

The net cost to us for the flight changes totaled $536US but Access America is refusing to pay. In the fine print of their insurance policy under cancellations due to weather it states "Your airline, cruise line, or tour operator or travel supplier stops offering all services for at least 24 consecutive hours where you’re departing, arriving or making a connection..."

So it does not matter that Air Canada couldn't fly between Victoria & Vancouver for 2 days or they couldn't get us replacement flights until 5 days later, as long as they could make one flight to Timbuktu, we aren't getting reimbursed.

InAccessible America, besides not having a collect number from Belize, have a claims appeal department that appears to be blocking my email and a claims inquiry department that manages to lose email attachments.

A  5th of Feb, 2010 by
I've already complained to:

1. Attorney General Office in Virginia because the company is based in Richmond.
2. The California Insurance Bureau (that's where I'm based).
3. The Better Business Bureau

There is only one way to deal with these companies -- which is to take action. I cannot tolerate companies that take advantage of people in tragic times. Please take action as well. Maybe collective we can stop this from happening again.

Access America Transport Inc. Logo Access America Transport Inc.
PO Box 182215