24PetWatch

Beware

4.65
24PetWatch
24petwatch.com
Purchased this policy to avoid costly bills since I have another dog with health issues. I have submitted a couple of claims to 24PetWatch and they find every loop hole in the system in order to avoid paying your claims. They are a "scam" company. I have reported them to the BBB (which didn't help us), consumer affairs and now I will be contacted this Attorney General. They need to be shut down!

Beware... DO NOT BUY INTO THIS POLICY
Complaint comments Comments (14) Complaint country United States Complaint category Pets & Animals

Comments

A  21st of Feb, 2010 by    +3 Votes
I purchased three policies for foster dogs, since I already have four of my own and cannot afford additional unexpected vet bills. One month later I'm still awaiting reimbursement (supposedly an 8-10 day turnaround) and JUST NOW got my policy coverage for the Optimum QuickCare plan. Which the lying sales rep insisted covered spay and neuter and was effective from the date they sucked the funds from my bank account.
HOWEVER...now that I have the policies in hand I discover the coverage doesn't actually begin for 30 days AND the spay and neuter coverage doesn't take effect for SIX MONTHS. I'd already called to complain twice that I was billed not just the $26 monthly rate I was quoted for coverage per animal but an addition $19 PER ANIMAL just to start coverage! That I'm not even seeing the benefit of and have no proof of coverage or policy numbers! Once again I was told "they are covered" and when I noted the spay appointments were just weeks (not months, mind you) away I was told the policy packet would arrive in "3-4 weeks" and they cannot send this information via email, "but coverage information is available online". Yes, it is, in a very generic form, and nowhere does it state the 30 day waiting period OR six month waiting period before coverage of spay/neuter. Not much help when the dog you specified many times very clearly was to be spayed within weeks before agreeing to purchase, agreeing solely because I was told it WOULD be covered. When I complained I was charged more than quoted I was told they'd send out policy forms by mail "in a few days" to "speed things up" but once again no mention of the extended time frames before coverage I was very specific about what I wanted and why would apply. I was also told I could cancel as late as March 1 to avoid additional charges. Except the fine print says they require 15 days written notice and charge full months, no prorating.

WHAT A RIPOFF. Instead of saving me money and helping keep animals safe and healthy, it's actually cost me MORE and now I'm wondering how I'll be able to afford the medical fees after wasting so much money on these fraud policies. Lying Canadians. Keep your hard-earned dollars at home and just pay your vet direct. Don't trust any product offered by this company.
A  8th of Jun, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I agree. This is a scam compony. They did the same with me. They use bogus excuses to avoid paying claims. They would not even reimburse the measly $500 it cost to euthanize my dog. They need to be shut down and forced to refund all premiums.
A  6th of Nov, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Please go here and file a valid complaint. Enough consumers getting ripped off, the feds will step in, investigate all complaints, and possibly file a suit to shut them down or make good on their policies/contracts.

N  20th of Jan, 2011 by    +2 Votes
This is my first time trying to use the "services" of 24PetWatch. On the initial paper work (of which I have a copy) clearly shows 3 different numbers, my home, my cell, and my husbands cell. They are trying to tell me I listed all three numbers the same (only my home phone). After trying to explain in the most simple way possible I asked for a supervisor, of course I was sent directly to voice mail. I've been waiting for some 3 hours for the return call.
What they want me to do is pay an additional $14.99 to add mine and my husband's cell number. Add something they already have! Really? The original person I spoke with seemed to care less if my dog got lost. At one point in the conversation I relented and said I'd pay and her ugly attitude change immediately. Then, again, I changed my mind refusing to pay and her attitude once again changed. If there is another "dog watch" company out there, you can be sure I will change companys. I know no one loves an animal as much as it's owners, . but I would at least like to work with a company that shows some compassion in the animals that are "supposting" to help and protect.
N  11th of Jul, 2011 by    +2 Votes
I can say this company is a crock of bull... I bought my policy and paid a years worth of coverage to only find out six months later that they wouldn't cover my cat's diabetes. My cat showed symptoms of something was wrong on two days prior to the policy affective date which was noted on the vets paperwork. So since I was being a good pet parent and telling my vet the truth to ensure that my pet got the best care I got denied coverage. My mind you my cat never showed any signs of diabetes before me taking him to the vet on that day nor was he ever diagnose with it before. So I guess I am suppose to be some kinda Vet and know automatically that my cat has diabetes. GREAT JOB 24 PetWatch you just condemned my cat to a slow painful death! I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone...
A  15th of Feb, 2014 by    +3 Votes
I was going to sign up for their coverage, but now that I read these comments, I think I'll look elsewhere! I'm so sorry that happened to you & I appreciate you posting your experiences! =/
A  18th of Feb, 2014 by    +3 Votes
This company needs to be shut down, it's a fancy way to package organized crime. I too am a victim of believing that an insurance policy on a pet would cover accidents and sicknesses but found out otherwise. I notified the shelter who promotes this company and was told they are given money by 24PetWatch, which is desperately needed, so they give people the 'free' insurance which leads many to enroll in a policy, hence, making it a lucrative venture for this scam machine. I'm sure the shelter worker would not want the ugly truth to be brought to light in fear of losing the monies given to them by 24PetWatch but morally it's wrong. Oh, just to let you know this company 's HQ is in Ontario, Canada. Their under writer is based in New York City and they have a post office box in Buffalo, NY which gives them a base to do business in the U.S. Please consider all the reviews before making the decision to buy a policy with this company. Notice how many 'good' reviews there aren't too.
A  5th of Mar, 2014 by    +2 Votes
I adopted my dog, Buddy, from New Beginnings Shih tzu Rescue on October 13, 2013. I took out a 24PetWatch insurance policy on October 15, 2013, per phone call to the company. I gave them my credit card # for the first premium on that day, as required. Several days later (October 17, 2013), I took Buddy to the vet for a new dog check up and mentioned that Buddy seemed to be drinking a lot of water. There was no record of any medical diagnosis that came with Buddy on adoption. In fact, he had been at Rock County Humane Society for over 2 months before New Beginnings took him. He was in a foster home for almost 4 weeks with New Beginnings before I adopted him. The vet ran a urinalysis, found a small amount of blood in his urine, and treated him with antibiotics for a Urinary Tract Infection, which may have caused excess thirst and water intake. Unfortunately, for Buddy and I, we were back to the vet on November 15, 2013 for the excessive water drinking and then began the journey of blood work, urine testing, medical appointments, trial meds, and on, and on. Late December, the verdict was in. Buddy"s diagnosis was Diabetes Insipidus - a life-long condition!!! I submitted all the claims on December 30th, as once I received the actual written policy more than a month later (or should I say, an abbreviated policy with many references made to a web-site, on-line policy), I became aware of many inclusions in the policy that I was not aware of. For instance, 24PetWatch reserved the right to cancel the policy for any reason within the first 60 days. Imagine that!! Well, here we are-March 5, 2014. They have not yet sent me an Explanation of Benefits for even 1 of the 6 claims I submitted. I have received no money. When I call, I am on hold no less than 45 minutes each time. They used every excuse possible to delay and avoid giving me an answer on the outcome. They lied about when they received the claims, giving a date in mid-February, and then saying they were still being processed. When I called back last week and pressed for answers, they finally admitted that they had determined all of the claims for Buddy were due to a pre-existing condition, and therefore, not covered on his policy. I now have approximately $1500.00 of vet bills to pay, while they were drawing out premiums for bogus insurance for 5 months. They still have not put anything in writing! I imagine they are careful to avoid being sued. My credit card company is going to stop paying the premiums, while I cancel the insurance tomorrow. WHO IS MONITORING THESE UNSCRUPULOUS COMPANIES? HELP!!!
A  9th of Jun, 2016 by    0 Votes
Horrible customer service. Now you have to provide a fax number from your vet and then the customer service tells you no record of claims then I did the computer chat and the operator found it right away. Told me I was missing info had vet email everything back and now they tell me I need the email address of the person who sent it and from there it will take 10 days to upload to my acct. I have 4 dogs and pay these people about $200 a month have been waiting a week for a call back from someone in charge because you cant be transferred to claim adjusters or a supervisor.
Been waiting 4 months regarding a claim that they disagree with the diagnosis and try to say it was pre existing - its an injury from an accident how is this preexisting.
N  12th of Sep, 2016 by    0 Votes
This company is ripping off innocent people who have tried to do something good by rescuing animals When I adopted my cat in 2008, the place where I adopted her from had the form and "free" insurance in the adoption packet. I had never had pet insurance but thought it would be a good thing to have. My cat has been healthy the 8 years I have had the insurance. I have paid my annual 24PetWatch bill faithfully. She had a checkup in June 2015 before we moved from Texas to Arizona. The vet gave me a copy of her medical history to give to the new vet. Everything was fine. Her vaccinations were current, and she was healthy. When it was close to a year and time for her annual checkup, I made an appointment with a new vet. 2 days before the appointment, she started vomiting (not hairballs) and was acting weird. Since I had the appointment, I figured I would find out what was wrong, if anything. It turned out she had renal failure which would be helped by medicine and renal food. I turned in my first claim!! Heard nothing. I turned in my second claim. Heard nothing. I then got e-mails that this was missing or that was missing. I sent every thing they asked for. Friday they called and told me husband they sent me an email with the explanations why they aren't paying. I still haven't received the email. If I had put that money in a savings account, I would have had plenty saved to pay for her treatment. 8 years...healthy cat... when she does get sick first time, no coverage. Now they want me to renew. You have got to be kidding. The cat is too old to take out another pet insurance. I will start that savings account and hope for the best. She is doing well on the medicine and medicated food thankfully.
N  19th of Sep, 2016 by    0 Votes
They make you have a deductible per claim not just a yearly deductible. They didn't cover any of the dental bills and they didn't cover my dog's heart medicine of which she was diagnosed with a stage 2 heart murmur after I got the insurance. They did cover the reimbursement of euthanasia/cremation of my dog.
N  15th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
Just go to carecredit i have so-so credit and they gave me a 2300 dollar limit. They were a lifesaver to us. It is a credit card and you have to pay it back but monthly payments are lots better than wasting time and money on these policy's that aren't going to be there when you need them.
A  15th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
First off, if you want to read the entire review, please do.

However, if you want the short version then I will start by saying:
1) ALL the negative comments about this company are actually true, as unbelievable as that may sound (unfortunately for me, I read the reviews after opening a policy with them).
2) I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone, for any reason.
Long story short, my dog got injured. An injury that was new (not pre existing) and my pet's policy stated, this type of injury would be covered once all supporting documentation was submitted and reviewed.
I submitted all the vet's examination information for the diagnosis of this new injury - but 24PetWatch kept asking for more information that was not part of any DVM routine consult or examination. 24PetWatch asks for these random documents knowing you wont be able to provide the document (as I mentioned its not a process the DVM follow) and then 24PetWatch will use that as lack of providing a particular document as non-compliance to their request, and deny your claim.
Fortunately, as ridiculous as 24PetWatch was being, my vet was on my side and did everything possible to get me any and every document that was requested, regardless of how ludicrous the request from 24PetWatch was. I was able to get my vet to provide some supporting documentation that satisfied the claim for the diagnosis costs for the injury.
Knowing the diagnosis was leading in the direction of surgery to fix the injury, I called 24PetWatch before going ahead with the treatment, and consulted an agent about the injury and the only treatment available. The agent said that in the diagnosis fees were approved, then the treatment would be as well. I'm not a fool, so I wasn't expecting everything to go smoothly when submitting a claim for surgery. I booked the surgery, because my dog would not get any better without it, so the surgery had to be done asap.
I decided to be proactive, and submit a pre-approval request for the surgery. Once again, 24PetWatch started with requests for unrelated information. 24PetWatch read in my vet's notes that I had said I talked to "a friend" about the injury at the time it occurred. 24PetWatch demanded the license number of my friend or they wouldn't honor my claim. My friend isnt a DVM (I never said they were) I just mentioned to my vet that I spoke to that friend when I initially took my dog in for the exam related to the injury, and my vet wrote it in her notes. There is no vet license number for my friend that I can provide to 24PetWatch and furthermore it was a casual conversation on the phone about my dog's injury, It was not an official consult with a DVM. 24PetWatch insisted that I provide them with this persons contact information and their veterinary training qualifications (which dont exist, as the friend is not a vet), and if i did not provide the information, they wouldn't pay.

I went ahead witht eh surgery, as I stated that was the only option to treat my dog's injury. When I submitted the claim for the treatment of the injury (surgery), 24PetWatch decided that they were changing the name/type of the injury, from "rupture" (as stated by my vet & the surgeon) to "disease" (as the word disease favored a clause in 24PetWatch policy and was a loophole for them to get out of reimbursing me). My vet and surgeon refuted this and said it was not a degenerative disease, as my dog is too young to suffer from that type of degenerative disease. 24PetWatch did not care what the vet & surgeon said. 24PetWatch said my surgeon's diagnosis was wrong, and my dog has a degenerative disease (even though there is no scientific data to support 24PetWatch). 24PetWatch changed the diagnosis/terminology of the injury in order to allow 24PetWatch to reference a clause in their policy, which absolves 24PetWatch from paying for a "disease" even though my surgeon clearly documented it was a "rupture" due to rough activity and not due to disease.

I understand that no insurance company would freely pay out large claims without requesting documentation as proof (which I very promptly provided), but when they start using disingenuous methods and lying to avoid helping a client in need of the service that you are already paying for - that is a very good indication that this is not a company you want to have any association with.
24PetWatch uses typical underhanded method used by an insurance company, and a clear indication of what kind or mentality and culture this company has adopted.
You will be doing yourself and your pet a favor by NOT opening a policy with this company.
N  18th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
Mixed review.. I have 24Pet Watch on both of my cats. Oliver eloped for two months and when we finally found him, he was in terrible condition and required extensive vet care including hospitalization. High bill. 24 Pet Watch reimbursed at a reasonable rate less 20% deductible...Annie had bladder issues and required surgery. Reimbursement less deductible was fair. Four years later and she is in good health...What I am upset about is the termination of the original insurance and the offering of new policy at a substantial increase in premium. After having insurance for 8 years plus on my cats, this seems very unfair...From reading the above comments, it would seem that I am one of the few policy holders who has had a relatively positive experience with 24 Pet Watch. They were reasonable in regard to my claims and I don't feel that they are "scam artists."

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree