24 Hour Fitness / an f for every reason! steer clear of these corporations!

I have been a member of 24hourfitness for several years. You may have noticed that they are the worst of a very bad lot. The old scam is to get you in and get as many up front fees from you as they can (their sales commission) and then hope you don't ever show up. They do many things to encourage this behavior. You will notice that they never encourage you to come, don't maintain the equipment very well, never seem to have the right type of equipment people want to use. I point out elliptical machines in particular. These cost more than many others. If everyone came to the gyms regularly and maintained their memberships these clubs would be overwhelmed with people. You wouldn't be able to move inside. It is indeed a sad but well known fact by these companies that most people do not attend more than the first few weeks if that. Few people have the self discipline to continue these programs without encouragement.

This is a really sad commentary on the industry, but also very true. I have observed it for years. That is why complaints are never responded to, and why the, "give a shxx", attitude is nearly always prevalent. My advice: Steer clear of these corporations. They are the rip off cousins to the weight loss people.

Ro

Comments

• Do
      21st of Aug, 2007

Exactly true. It's all about the money and then they prefer you just stay home. I even had the manager at 24 Hour Fitness Fort Worth complain to me today that I sometimes come in 3 -4 times per day. This is an exaggeration but I do sometimes do 2 a days and split up my weight lifting and cardio. He should be welcoming me for a being a regular instead of complaining. In two years of going 5 days a week this manager has yet to even smile at me let alone welcome me. I tried to contack corporate to complain and they told me to write a letter and wouldn't even give me a name to address the letter to. I have learned my lesson about corporate gyms.

• La
      14th of Sep, 2007

i love the 24 hour fitness i work out at. Ive never had a problem, the employees are not pushy, and the equipment is well maintained.

• Pa
      12th of Jan, 2008

I am a member of the Everett location. The shower head in the pool area has been pulled off the wall and has been that way since Monday, January 7th. This is posing a health hazzard; as most people do not want to walk all the way back to the dressing room to take a shower before entering the pool. This is a very serious problem. There are health concerns because of the people walking from the steam room, or sauna and getting directly into the spa or the pool. The should not continue.

• Ha
      25th of Jan, 2008

BINGO! This is precisely the formula employed by most "health clubs". They take your money and hope you never return, this leaving room for the next group of marks with money.

The trouble is, which gyms are in it for your health instead of only your money?

9th of Jun, 2008

I signed up with 24hr fitness about four months now. the first couple of weeks i trained at elk grove ca location. there was a incident, i saw a man rolled a short knife (5" blade) in a small towel in the locker room. i reported to my trainer the next day and I decided not to go back there. I have been working out at concord sun valley mall location after the incident. both of the stores are full most of the time. i hated that i had to wait for so long when needed the equipments or lose my spot when i went to get some water.

their sale people talks highly about the place and very pushy to get people in. once you sign up... they dont know you or dont care. i took my friend there the 2nd time. they tried to make her sign up. i told the lady that she is my guest and she raised her hand in front of my face (sheeeee). i told the manager (Carlos) but this customer service was a poor as the girl.

• Ir
      10th of Mar, 2009

You have hit it on the nose. If you truly want to support a fitness company try your local Recreation Center offered by your city. At least then your money is going towards your community not a horrible corporate business like 24 Hour Fitness. My complaint comes that after canceling our membership (due to the current economic downturn) they continued to charge my debit card for dues. When I contacted their outsourced "customer service" (if you can call it that) they offered no explanation and talked in circles. Now I am going to have to dispute the charges and most likely change my debit card to prevent future unauthorized charges, both a major pain in the butt. At least their treatment of me as prompted me to file a complaint with the BBB and visit web pages like this to spread the word.

• Sk
      5th of Nov, 2009

You're ridiculous. You blame them for your lack of discipline and commitment. They didn't see you motivation, they sold you an opportunity and the equipment needed to take care of yourself. You can't expect them to call you and remind you to come and use your gym membership.

The fact that they can count on selling memberships that will rarely get used is a sad commentary on our culture not on their business. The fact that you think they owe you more than good place to work out is just the same, as sad commentary of American culture that wants to be fit but expects to be able to buy their way to it.

• Re
      29th of Jan, 2010

Incredibly GREEDY! I have been a loyal customer for 5 years. Was out of the country for 3 months (they couldn't bill my credit card). Kept working out for 3 months after the return without ANY cancellation notice. After multiple calls and promises from Customer Care (I was willing to pay ALL of the past dues) they told me they had NO notes of my call on the account and ADVISED ME TO VISIT MY FRIENDLY LOCAL SALES REP for another pleasant sales session (everybody knows what those are like).

I WILL STAY AWAY FOR LIFE.

• Jd
      5th of Mar, 2010

I keep getting contacted on my cell phone by the credit dpt regarding some guy I don't know. I finally called 24 hour fitness to tell them to stop calling me...they promptly hung up on me. I could only imagine what it would be like to be an actual member of this shoddy establishment.

• Kh
      11th of Jun, 2010

I had an emergency and had to get to a restroom fast. I saw my old Gym at Market St in (San Francisco) so I decided to go in say hello and use the bathroom. They said no cause I cancelled membership I am no longer entitled to use the bathroom.

Given that it was an embarrassing emergency I went to use the bathroom anyhow. An employee was waiting for me outside the bathroom. He addressed me by my first name - cause he was affiliated with that Gym when I was a member. He told me I was trespassing. I asked to speak to the District manager about the bad PR they are engaging in. They got defensive and refused to give me his contact information. When I insisted they called the Police and asked that I be removed from the premise. I think they are in part motivated by racism and hate for their customers or potential customers. It would have been an opportunity to win me back as a customer but they prefer the sneaky tactics of getting people to pay and not use what they paid for than to establish a friendly welcoming relationship with people.

Do not sign up with 24hrs fitness they are all about separating you from your money. The human element is lacking from their conduct.

• Jw
      4th of Jul, 2010

Online I received a 7 day Pass which explicitly states, "Pass good at multiple locations". I specifically asked about this as I wanted to try different aerobic classes and have a limited schedule so multiple locations would allow me to match the classes I wanted to try with the days I had available. I took the pass to the "home" club I was required to select and they gave me another 2nd pass which they told could only be used at their gym unless I signed up immediately for a membership. Isn't that fraud to advertise something in writing and then not provide it?