1-800-Bakery.com / unacceptable business

My boyfriend's grandfather passed away on Sunday and the funeral and Shiva was Tuesday. I live in Philadelphia and the funeral was in Massachusetts. Since it was such short notice I was not able to attend. I decided I needed to send something, so after some Internet searching I came across 1-800-bakery.com. It was a great concept, the page is filled with 100% customer satisfaction headlines and it guaranteed overnight delivery if I ordered by 2pm.

It was 11:00am on Monday and I placed an order for some baked goods and paid the $20 overnight shipping cost. I received a confirmation email with an order number and I was so happy that in some small way I could be there for my boyfriend and his family.

A little after noon on Tuesday I called the 1-800-bakery.com's customer service number and just asked if it had arrived since I never received a shipping number to track the order. I was put on hold and then told they would check on it and get back to me. 10min later I get a call from them and said it was an "oversight" on there part and thought the order was for Wednesday delivery. They offered to send it for Wednesday with no charge but I was so mad, I paid for overnight shipping, I don't understand how that could have gotten confused for anything but overnight. I was very very upset. Wednesday was unacceptable, the funeral was Tuesday and they would have never noticed the error if I never called. I called back and asked to speak to the manager, the customer service rep gave me the cell phone of the owner, Steve. I immediately called him and let him have it, saying this is unacceptable as a business, to guarantee something and then make no attempt following through with it. I would understand if it was the carriers fault if the order got out on time, but the order was simply never done. He said this "usually" doesn't happen. He was very apologetic and said if he was closer to the destination that he would drive the order there himself. I told him he has lost a good customer.

Te

Comments

• St
      15th of Jul, 2007

Hi, I do want to say I understand how upset this was. A mistake was made. I tried to help the only way I could. Like said, I would have drove the gift there myself if it was anywhere near us. We did set out the gift at no charge the next day for the family to enjoy at there house. I hope that helped in some small way.

• Sh
      21st of Dec, 2009

Seems like a one-off mistake if you ask me. Everyone that does business online knows to leave a little room for shipping errors.

• To
      9th of Feb, 2010

Sounds like the owner did everything possible to rectify the situation..Looks like he lost an aggravating customer rather than a good customer!

• Ba
      10th of Feb, 2010

I had the best experience with this company, found there customer service to be without peer!

• Am
      8th of Aug, 2010

how can that stupid woman say she was a good customer, it was her first time buying from them. Besides kinda stupid of Tess to order a Cake for her bf's grandfather's passing. Her way of being there. I'm sure no one wanted her there. There again it's another stupid person complaining because of simple mistakes, it's life, mistakes happen. Get over it. You don't send a cake to a memorial or funeral..Cakes are for happy times not for an event like this..
    I hope Tess's BF is smart enough to dump her

8th of Apr, 2011

1 800 bakery does suck! they sold me something that was discontinued off their website and failed to notify me of this and i had high hopes that my wife was going to get cake on her bday! i wish i had read your post before buying a cake from them. they offer me half off on the next cake.. WOW! to late now!! they can shove that half off crap up their A**