Charter Collegeharrasment, policies, racism and policies

I've been going to this school for 8months now i'm almost done i've never said anything to someone at that school because I thing going to someone above maybe is best?? Well even thouigh im almost finished.. I hate that I ever found this place called "succes" its the total opposite. They are only there to take your money, grades, money and dignity. Since i've been going to charter my whole way of thinking has changed.. I never thought a school can be so.. Controlling, so irrational, such liars!!! Greedy, racist!!! Harrasing crew of "empolyees"?? A few teacher has looked at me funny.. Said some things to other students that they talk to during break, caused arguments with me. Pinpointed the things I did, stalked my stay, screened and ignored my visit and phone call when I did call and say it was regarding staff.. He never got back to me but iu never made it an issue because I was almost done.. Anyways I want this school to close down or get a whole new set of smart, equal honest people who have a conciouness cause this school definetly doesnt

• Brandi A Apr 27, 2015

Hi 102712,
    We’re very happy to hear that you found a job in your field after graduation. However, we do find your comments very concerning and while we do not guarantee job placement after graduation all of our graduates should be provided with job placement assistance from our Career Services team. We encourage you to reach out to your campus directly so that we may further discuss your concerns and make any appropriate changes.
    - Brandi, Charter College

• 10
    102712 Apr 24, 2015

Charter college is a waste of money my fiancé and I attended charter college 2012-13. They promise to teach everything you will need to know in medical field (lies) and to provide jobs upon graduation(lies) yet many teacher councilers addmistrators do not care for students. And the teachers that do care they fired and treated poorly. While attending g the school we witnessed teachers giving grades to students who didn't desevre them and discrimination and a lot of times picking favorites. It felt like high school drama
    All the time and not learning place at all. Sad to say would never recommend this school to anyone. Many fellow students and my fiancé and self were not helped to find jobs and instead found our own jobs and once did school would harasse us into telling them ware we work so they can send students there and calling our jobs saying we referd the college to call our NEW job!! So unprofessional ... And graduation well it was horrible!!! Shut this school down its a joke not a college at all!!!

Brandi A. Feb 21, 2014

Hi NKBCSTV,

We’re sorry to hear that you have decided not to enroll at Charter College. However, I would like to assure you that Charter College is an accredited institution; you may learn more about our accreditation here: http://www.chartercollege.edu/about-charter/accreditation. While we wish you had taken the opportunity to meet with the Assistant Director at our Lancaster Campus, we do wish you the best of luck in your educational pursuits.

Brandi, Charter College

Brandi A. Jan 21, 2014

Hi NKBCSTV,
    Brandi, Charter College

• Nb
    NBKVSTV Jan 16, 2014

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am so happy that you all have posted these comments for all to read. I had an appointment with the Assistant Director at Charter College, Lancaster, CA, and I have cancelled that appointment after much research here on the internet. I appreciate people that take the time out to write their experiences so that other people can be made aware of companies that are out to swindle people. There are too many reputable companies out there for us to go to and obtain a real education that can be utilized. I had been told that this school was not accredited by a family member, but thought they may be wrong. Now, after reading these post I know that what she was trying to tell me was true. I think I will keep researching and will take my business elsewhere. Anyone else that reads these posted comments should also TAKE HEED!
    Sincerely,
    THE ONE WHO LISTENED AND ACTED ON WHAT SHE LEARNED...God bless to all those seeking to better themselves, Don't give up!

Brandi A. Mar 27, 2013

Hello mbooth,
    Although we have many happy graduates who are gainfully employed, we are concerned and disappointed to hear about your Charter College experience. We are dedicated to helping our students succeed and would like to hear more about the difficulties you have outlined. We encourage you to call either the Canyon Country Campus (661.252.1864) or the Lancaster Campus (661.341.3500). We do our best to implement change based on student and graduate feedback when possible.
    - Brandi, Charter College

• Mb
    mbooth Mar 27, 2013

i agree with all of you.charter college is an absolute waste of your time and money. i invested alot of my time and money in charter college lancaster campus and canyon coontry campus. i maintained a 4.0 GPA through out all of my schooling never missed a single day. the teachers and the rest of the staff members give 2 ### about there students and there well doing in there education. all they care abolut is the money. whenever i had a concern or issue and i called them i could never get ahold of them i would leave voicemails and everything, but sure enough when they wanted there money or if it was an issue that only pertained to them they have all the time in the world to make calls consistenly and harrass the students, but if it was an issue of ours they wont lift a damn finger. its really ashamed that people look foward to bettering themselves and for charter college to rip students off. i have to admit it was a nightmare long story short. as far as shutting it down they should. i have to say i now go to the university of antelope valley and couldnt be happier. the staff teachers, etc are really involved with helping there students have a fantastic outcome and are in it to see their students better themselves and reaching their goals. i have not met one person that went to charter college that are happy with their outcome. i just hope that something gets done

• De
    Desir Mar 15, 2013

You think they will let me .. If I ask to start a month after giving birth to re enter?

• De
    Desir Mar 15, 2013

You think if I ask them to hold off a month after giving birth to re enter?

anonymousjoe Jul 26, 2012

Christina no need to take it personally sweetheart : ) Please don't bother to comment by the way

anonymousjoe Jul 18, 2012

Anita so works for Charter ... lol...

• Ed
    Education_Man Jul 10, 2012

I agree with "Dude Somewhere Else." I have been told not to grade for grammar, spelling, punctuation, or APA format by the dean. I was told to basically pass the students at all costs. I'm sorry, but I can't do that; I will be handing Charter College my resignation at the end of the current mod. It's a shame what this school is doing to the students, and I want no part of it! Basically, they are receiving federal monies and not providing a quality product. I certainly hope people read these complaints before they waste their money.

I should have known something was wrong when at the quarterly meetings Michael Dawson (owner of Charter) kept saying to instructors that we have to raise our retention rates even higher. The retention rate has remained around 92%-98% since I've been working here. While an unusually high retention rate doesn't automatically warrant inquiry, it certainly raises an eye brow or two.

I would love to expose schools who practice grade inflation. Does anyone know if there are any accreditation agencies who need undercover teachers? Does such a position exist?

• Du
    Dude somewhere else Jun 14, 2012

I have to agree, I currently teach for Charter College, It has been difficult to say the least. I am NOT allowed to the treat the student as a student but rather as a customer. This is a conflict of interest as far as curriculum and grades are concerned. I can think of a number of areas of concern. One is the short length of the classes, 5 weeks is too short for Charter College's approach. or philosophy of education. Another is the grading, DON'T give F's unless it's just to obvious, if you do give an F you had better be able to back yourself up, explain why you were not available for the student, explain why the student did not answer your phone calls, emails, messages, explain why after contacting the students campus there was still no response from the student, I mean it goes on and on, so you can see why there are very few Fs' given to Charter students, guess what the average highest grade given at Charter? You guessed it an A. The administration has not enabled the teacher, they have enabled the student and the student uses this to their advantage, the adminstration puts too much responsibility on the teacher and little on the student. What do you expect from a College that does not require ACT or SAT scores? I have flunked students for missing almost every class and not turning in homework yet I will see these students in the next Modular, the last flunked class being the prerequisite for this course and the student performs in much the same way, flunks the course and yet the student graduates on time, hmmm. I literally had one graduate with a Bachelors in Business and concentration in accounting could not tell me what the accounting equation was, what side of a T account was the Debit and Credit, and could not tell me the difference between a general journal and general ledger. A BACHELORS IN ACCOUNTING!!! This is of serious concern, I have no problems with private colleges, but to just pass students, to scare the teachers in such a way that the only grade given is an A constitutes a serious concern. This is why Charter College is called a diploma mill. I had two students apply for entry level positions at my work, I was not involved with their applications process, but the two students had Bachelors in Accounting (Business with and Emphasis in Accounting) neither could pass the general accounting test, the test is on the first four chapters of the Accounting textbook these two students had been using for the last 2 and half years. These tests were basic, nothing irrelevant, straight to the point, simple math, match, and a few true and false, not only did they not pass but these two students bombed this test, it's embarrasing to say the least. I am embarrased to tell people I teach at Charter. If I dare tell anyone, they will assume I taught these students. It's common knowledge at my employment to NOT hire graduates from Charter, that is a reason for me to never admit I teach here.
    I could go on, ILA and grading rubric, DON'T you dare grade for grammar or APA format. I was actually admonished for giving a student an F for grammar, APA format, and outright plagiarism. I had to apologize to the student for not being sensitive enough, which I did because I am a professional and can eat crow with the best of them. So I had the student redo the paper, but was told by the Dean to not grade for grammar, punctuation, or APA format, the exact words were "after all, how much is that going to be used in business anyway?" This is someone with a Doctorate in Education, telling me this, she knows better, she just has to follow the same line that everyone else does, "Don't piss off the customer!"
    Thanks for the soapbox,

• Ed
    Education_Man Jun 08, 2012

I have worked for Charter College for quite sometime. During my time here, I continually "fight" with the administration by pointing out how ill-prepared some students are for college level courses. When I assign failing grades to those students, they (administration) look at me like I've done something wrong. I'm teaching from the curriculum they've developed and following the rules and guidelines they've put in place. How am I the bad guy here? I am seriously considering quitting this job because it is clear that they only want the students' money. I took this job to educate students, not just give them grades. If the accreditation folks ever decided to really investigate the grading practices at this school, they will probably shut them down. I also agree with the teacher above. The administration is very unprofessional and will totally "tick" you off on a continuous basis. I say if you are really interested in teaching students, Charter College is not the place to work. If you are comfortable with just giving grades and receiving a check, you'll love it. I know my time here is short. I will either quit or get fired. I hope this helps those of you considering Charter College as a place of employment, or as a student.

• Am
    amahan Mar 21, 2012

Hello,

My name is Angelique Mahan and I attended Charter College, Oxnard from Nov 1 2010 to February 2012.

I began in the MICB courses, which are for Medical Billing/Coding and Reimbursement. We were told that this would come with a certification by the state. Half the way through our program it was insisted that we change to the new HIT program for Hospital Information Technology. We were told that we would be given a test so that we may certify for this and maintain a job in this RHIT field. We were told this is the certification we need because it will hopen doors for employment in; hospitals, clinics, urgent care units and private practice. We were convinced by the powers that be, that this is the way of the medical future and this is where we should be.

However, graduation came and we found out that not only do we not receive the test for our certification, we found out we are NOT even ALLOWED to test in the field of RHIT without having work experience in that field.

We left Charter with nothing. I maintained a 3.77 GPA and won the college scholarship for academics and in the end the degree I received does not allow me to work in that field. The degree is useless.

I am furious that I am spending over 20k for an education for a field in which I cannot work in. I did not participate in graduation because I felt horrible about the degree I received. I have a degree in HIT however I am not allowed to work in this field without an accreditation and I cannot get an accredition by the state unless I have worked in this field for years.

I decided to go through AHIMA myself to get my RHIT but that is not allowed either.

I made many complaints to Charter with no avail. I was told that after we graduate the will give us a boot camp for MICB to test for our CMRS in billing. However, the boot camps are on weekends and I cannot go due to having my autistic child with me.

I asked the school to admit their mistake but they refuse. However, they are offering a boot camp at no charge on the weeknd and employing an instructor to teach it, yet they still claim no responsibilty to their students.

I am disgusted with their actions and plan on filing with the better business burearu as well. Please take heed of this call.

Charter should end the RHIT program! Students will pay over 20k to find out they CANNOT WORK IN THE FIELD WITHOUT PRIOR EXPERIENCE!

I am asking you to follow through with this complaint. I am consulting with an attorney in April regrading trying to get my financial aid back from a school that took it and lied about what our RHIT really means. It means nothing.

I tried to apply for a billing job and was told I needed CMRS and RHIT certification. None of which Charter offered to me.

Please check into this. It is disgusting what is going on there. I have literally been in classes when the instructor was 45 min late! I have seen an instructor roll out of bed and have the smell of alcohol on them during the morning class.

There are too many wrongs to list. I implore you to do the right thing and disband the RHIT program with a fine for milking students financial support.

Angelique Mahan

This is the exact compliant filed wtih ACIS their accredition committee..

• Ca
    careaboutyourfuture2011 Sep 16, 2011

I used to work at Charter College. I will tell you that everyone in a high position likes control and could care less about the students. I was asked by my boss to go on birth control for my cramps or I could be fired, and when they made her quit my new boss a ### of a guy, brought me into his office every day complaining about me and how I will never amount to anything and how I was at the bottom of the totem pole.. I would not recommend this college to any one, it has really gone downhill. Plus for your money you can go to a university and get a higher degree. I was supposed to get my free education after working there for a year and every time I put in the paper work they "lost it" ###! Anyway from a student and a employee I would invest your money somewhere else. I know a University takes longer, but for your money you will get better results as well as way better employment. Charter College guaranties you to get a job, THAT IS A CROCK! I have friends and relatives that have wasted about 70, 000.00 on this education and they have been looking for a job for almost three years and every time they contact Charter to get placed somewhere, NO ONE responds!!! EVER.. I have been waiting for my transcripts for 8 months now and I have not got them, I will be taking care of this you will bet your dollar... I am sorry if you are going to this school, but take it from someone who knows, you can get out and transfer your credits to a University, and well it depends on the University. If you are not happy there do not feel like you are stuck, Go to a University or another college and see what credits will transfer over. When you try to leave the college they will talk you into staying and will bring up your goals stand your ground, the people there who work there get yelled at every meeting for not keeping the students in school trust me I have saved that school thousands of dollars. They get fired if they don't keep you in because it is the only way for a Career College to make money, and that is all they care about MONEY!! They could care less about your goals, or dreams they care about money. This was proven to me when I was trying to take care of my students in one of our meetings I had a question that the students had been coming up to me asking, they ignored my question and so I brought it up to my boss, I was yelled at and sworn to (very unprofessional) and written up just because there was infidelity going on with someone higher up, YEAH RIGHT!! I will not be treated like that, I did not sign the written up form because it was inaccurate, they cannot make anyone sign anything, REMEMBER THAT, you are in control not the school, they make money off of you.. You are the customer don't let them scare you! OKAY? I just really care about people and I was so hurt by this place I just need to let everyone I can know that this school is not good... I was laid off with no reason just so you know.. I loved my job and I loved all my students and I wished I would have been able to say good bye to everyone, but I did not get the chance.. Please heed my words and consider leaving if you are going or going somewhere else if you are looking. I know you might want the fast track way, but sometimes waiting and going to a University is worth it. if you are worried about your kids and how you can do college and take care of your kids, ask the university or college that you want to go to, also look at the government resources you have in your state, there are always options sometimes you just need someone to show them to you.. God Bless and I pray you get the education to better your life and to bring you to the goals that you have set for yourself, remember "you can do anything!"

Joe Nobody Jul 26, 2011

Frauds!!! All they want is money and put poor, unknowing people in debt that they will probably be able to pay for. How do you sleep at night Doug? One can go to a community college or adult school and pay next to nothing and employees are not working on commission. They don't get paid bonus bucks for enrolling students. How can you allow people to pay $15, 000 for a certificate that they can turn around and MAYBE make $10 an hour with?!

• Th
    That__Guy Jan 21, 2011

"If you aren't here to be postive why say anything??"
    This is my favorite quote on the internet right now. Mostly because it's on a complaint board. Nobody's here to be "postive" you ignorant beast.
    This thread made my day a little brighter. Thanks everyone.

0224LYKS911 Jan 21, 2011

@ Anita okay??..so go to it!! If you aren't here to be postive why say anything?? hmm not only are you retired at a young age?? GO on VACATION WTF!! educated dummies!!! (smh)No need to feel sorry for me, i know Jesus!! thats all that matters in the end not this material STUFF nor MONEY:) Have a Great day!

0224LYKS911 Jan 21, 2011

?? whatever thats suppose to mean..wow! college education..don't mean ###...WHAT YOU GON DO WITH IT? Shouldn't you be studying instead of stalking complaint boards..like i said LOSER..JIMMY CRACK CORN!!! get on smarty pants!!!

0224LYKS911 Jan 21, 2011

Whamp whamp..(I bet yall like grown as hell) Lets not mention children, due to the fact that we have some unstable adults here as we speak! There are a lot of educated people that are stupid, socially retarted and can't conduct a business properly. It's funny how you say im the one worked up, and your hitting a raw nerve . Wherever thats suppose to be?? but i've gathered FOLLOWERS.. .sheesh! can we say overnight celebrity!??! Like Oh my God can i get my ### kissed and make mistakes now!?.. Anyways LOSERS!! Go finish being stalkers and continue to find other "complaints" to criticize. @Anita Jimmy Crack Corn!

Chanel77 Jan 21, 2011

You should get a lawyer and be refunded the entire amount of your tuition immediately! Judging from your post, you were undoubtedly robbed. One thing is for certain, you accomplished what you set out to do by posting this message here. You successfully demonstrated, in a remarkably clear fashion, the numerous failures of not only this school but your high school as well. Any parent with a college bound child who is even remotely in the vicinity of a Charter College should take this post very seriously. The fact that you were about to graduate speaks volumes about the quality of education offered by this institution. Parents: steer clear of Charter College unless you enjoy throwing your hard earned cash straight into the garbage can! Thanks for letting us know about the dangers of this college LYKS.

0224LYKS911 Jan 21, 2011

There is absolutely no reason for you to continue to reply ! With all the intelligence you have, I'm sure you have better things to do .
    Is my spelling correct? Smart Guy!

• Az
    AZshine Jan 20, 2011

By reading your complaint I agree. Shut it down immediately because they have obviously taught you nothing of grammar, spelling or simply you don't use all caps. Wow! Are you for real?

0224LYKS911 Jan 20, 2011

This school truly school I just finished mine schooling or should i say nightmare at the the one in lancaster, Ca.HORRIBLE!!! all they want is your money, the staff has NO COMMON SENSE OR KNOWLEDGE AT ALL THERE TEACHERS ARE CRIMINALS, EX CONS, PEDOPHILES AND RACIST..I REGRET going there DONT ATTEND NONE OF THEM!!! CHARTER COLLEGE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN