Menu
Car Toys
reviews & complaints

Car Toys
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

44 complaints
14 resolved 30 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Car Toys. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
2:23 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We have bought a Groupon for my Wife’s Car Detailing. We dropped the car at your Store located at 12636 Totem Lake Blvd., Kirkland, WA 98034 around 10:00 am on Sunday. We were told it will be done by 5:00 pm. We never had a call from your store at 5:00 pm. When we called at 5:00 pm, we were told the car was not ready yet. We received a call at 7:55 pm...

T
11:26 am EST

Car Toys - car detailing

We bought a groupon deal for $90 that car toys stated was normally $180 value. When we arrived at the Park Meadows location they said it was $45 extra per row to shampoo or steam clean seats. Seriously? Total scam and joke. Oh, and we paid to have the front seats clean. They look terrible! Thanks Car Toys for evening out the dirt rather than removing it. I paid $150 for a vacuum and wipe down! Consumer beware! It's unfortunate that Car Toys doesn't do respectful business. Maybe the CEO should do some inspections to salvage company dignity. I can't imagine that this would be acceptable to anyone's standards. The store associate said to us that they couldn't remove the dirt and the total is $135. Wow! Charging for a service that you can't perform. You lost my trust carToys! I will gladly spread the word to consumers about your lack of respect for hard working people. Provide good service for people. They deserve it. Don't advertise and charge for something you can't follow through on. I have now made it my duty to inform people about this disservice. I learned the hard way and hope that no one else has to experience this.

R
4:22 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

In latter September, I purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe intended to accommodate various HAM radio support functions I’m involved in. I installed a second battery along with the wires needed to mount a HAM radio under the back seat, but was leery about running the wires myself, as I’ve not had sufficient experience in doing such work. At this point I need to...

H
1:27 pm EDT

Car Toys - poor service

My awesome husband surprised me while I was out of town with a new GPS/Navigation system and backup camera for my car. It is a Pioneer with all the bells and whistles and I would highly recommend it. A friend picked up the car for us but was not given a receipt. My husband financed on a Car Toys account since the order was called in by phone and per Car Toys policy they did not accept debit cards by phone. I was so excited when I saw my new GPS and immediately started learning the system; thanking my technical school Communications instructor for forcing me to learn how to take apart motherboards. There were no instructions included with this system. I could not get the camera working. I confidently strode into Car Toys to take care of it. My initial contact included much laughter by the technicians at the fact that I could not get a camera working since one was never installed. Nothing like being the lone female amid a couple of male car mechanics laughing at the little woman. I know I made their day since much hilarity ensued on their part when I further asked for a receipt to see if we were charged for it. Before installation my husband spoke with Manager Rob, admittedly with much frustration but my loving spouse is a patient man…more so than his wife, but I digress, when he made initial contact to provide this much anticipated surprise for my birthday. I thought I was in good hands, but there was more excitement and chaos to come! After the receipt was produced (check your installation charges my friends) there was indeed no camera installed and a helpful shrug in answer to my question why we were not initially given a receipt. You cannot imagine my joy when the manager, a multi-tasking person who had the ability to help another customer while yelling across the store at me that my husband agreed to any and all charges on a Car Toys account and that putting the charges on a debit card were never discussed due to a previous account we held with Car Toys. His memory is precise and word perfect for he recalled a specific conversation from days ago with a stranger in Mississippi who did not, I repeat did not want a backup camera. Perhaps this was my husband? To my abject humility I was then subjected to a back and forth between the manager and the technician with the manager finally getting in the last word. I thoroughly enjoyed the great communication skills displayed by the staff at Car Toys. It was like being at Billy Bob Joe’s Alligator Retreat; an experience from the distant era of the 1970s but one I will never forget though I have considered having the memory erased like in Total Recall. I was at the point where I wanted to yell “Take the last word, we don’t want it but please give us a camera.” I left with a receipt in hand, no instructions, no camera, but was shown several high end ones I could buy. They happily added the camera on and gave me an appointment date. Good merchandise, great fireworks among the staff, and a front row seat to the worse customer service treatment in Colorado Springs. I sat for five whole minutes stunned in my car in front of Car Toys before I realized that as a USAF retired veteran with 25 years, a history professor, and mother of four there was something more I could do. I faced down enraged commanders, condescending second readers on my publications, stubborn students and children who did not understand the concept of throwing dump trucks off the second floor onto the head of their mother. I had to take my courage in both hands, but yes I did it. I called back and cancelled my appointment for my camera. I was too scared to go back inside.

1:23 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We purchased two Samsung 4 cell phones from Cartoys on 12/23/2013 and they each had a $50. rebate. After sending in the required paper work we still have not seen either rebate. We bought these phones from Bianca Harris, Assistant Store Manager and customer service expert...and we have been back several times asking about these rebates to be told they...

D
9:14 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had bought a used Honda, 2 dr coupe about a month ago. Rear speakers had previously been replaced and advised Car Toys of this. They checked this while I was there and agreed. I told them we wanted to replace our stock speakers with upgraded speakers in the doors. The passenger sid worked but the drivers side didn't. I had previously tested the driver...

J
1:49 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My rebate, according to stuartleerebates.com was received on 11/05/2010 and issued on 01/20/2011? I'm sorry, but it should not take this long to receive. The response I get from the company is that I need to wait 60 days after it's been issued to contact them if it's not been received. 60 days? I've already waited 3 months from the time I sent it in until...

D
11:17 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

So they advertise that they'll match any price on their website (albeit with the usual small print). I found an online retailer that was selling a Pioneer 10 inch low profile subwoofer far below the Cartoys online price. It met all the criteria...authorized dealer, blah blah. So I completed the online form and sent it off. No reply. I repeat the procedure...

A
2:00 am EST

Car Toys - deceptive pricing

I bought a car alarm from Car Toys during their "no sales tax" sale. First of all the alarm I purchased was listed in the store as $449.99 installed. Wrong! I was charged $469.85. Apparently they tack on an additional $22.38 and call it a parts charge. I had a standard installation and had no extras added to the alarm. I was told this is to cover zip ties, connections, and tape. You can buy a lifetime supply of these for 22.38 and if this is a standard install why don't they advertise the alarm at $469.85 installed! Here's the kicker...I was also charged $44.64 in sales tax! I have had 2 employees at Car Toys explain this to me andtell me this is correct and I still have no idea what they are talking about. They are trying to tell me that there is tax on the installation not the alarm?! So I guess I paid 19% tax on installation? On the receipt they list the alarm at $223.73 and Miscellaneous at 223.74...what the? Bottom line...a car alarm advertised at $449.99 installed with no sales tax cost $514.49? Go ahead and shop here if you want to look like a complete idiot...I'm done!

V
5:38 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We had Car Toys of Federal Way WA. install a car alarm when the car was about 3 years old and in pristine condition. We purchased the car new. We noticed the alarm system did not work properly and in addition the installers scratched the underneath of the dash board and it came apart. The knobs that control the fan positions were damaged as well and have...

1:20 pm EDT

Car Toys - installation incompetence

I work for a company who recently had a rear-view camera installed in a company vehicle for the purpose of using a monitor to see any objects that are behind you while backing out. They used a Car Toys location in Hurst, Texas near North East Mall. The monitor they had mounted to the dashboard had holes for screws in the base to insure that it is secured to said dashboard. Instead of installing it properly, they used a double-sided adhesive foam strip, which was weak at best. Due to the heat from the sun, many employees had issues with the monitor remaining secure to the dashboard, because the adhesive strip had melted. Because of their incompetence, the monitor had slipped between the dash and the driver side door, and was crushed as I had entered the vehicle and closed it in the door. My employer had taken it back to the location, spoke with the manager, and was told that the best they could do was a lousy 10% discount. I'm stuck paying my employer for the rest of the cost for a new unit. It seems to me that a discount offered of any kind is an admittance of guilt on their part for the installation. Do not make the same mistake we made.

J
12:56 pm EDT

Car Toys - lies, hides and takes advangate

Car Toys salesmen are nothing but "Used Car Salesman" in training. They lie, they hide and they take advantage of their customers.

I purchased a $700+ stereo system from them. They had me "make an appointment" to have it installed the next day, only when I showed (on time) for my appointment, their bays were full! I was told it would be 2-3 hours to do a simple install. I saw right away they were putting me off to finish the cars they took in as walk ins! I expressed my anger and told them I would be back in 2 hrs and this better be done. And it was.

Fast forward 1.5 mos and the unit is now malfunctioning. I returned yesterday and they told me to make another appointment so they can "diagnose" the problem and possibly fix it. If they can't fix it they will request a replacement from Pioneer. I'm sorry, why is this my problem? Why should I wait for a replacement? Why can't they take one out of THEIR STOCK and wait for their replacement! They, after all, sell and represent this product, they should not inconvenience the customer for the fault of the product! So I again expressed my anger & frustration but they were insistent this was their protocol; to fix or wait for a replacement. (and how am I going to know I'm getting a "new" replacement and not a "refurbished" replacement?

Just another company that insists on immediate payment but drags *** to fix a product they sell AND REPRESENT!

11:18 am EST

Car Toys - flim flam

We bought a stereo system from Cartoys in 2007 for around 2500.00, at the time they offered an interest free deal ...we took it. CARTOYS set up the account. We even had them add 50.00 a month to the monthly due payment to ensure the expiration date would be met far ahead of time, we even had it automactically with drawn from our bank account NEVER missed a payment. In January we owed 487.oo, we paid 125.00. In Feb. we owed 362.00 we paid 125.00. Suddenly in March we owe 890.00 because we missed the expiration date? We have spent 2 hours of our time trying to talkk to someone at G.E. Bank we are lied to, talked down to and even hung up on! Does anyone know a good attorney?

G
9:58 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

i purchased a remote start and was told that the install was included. i made an appointment for 9 am and was told that it would take 2-3 hours. i left for 2 hours and returned and was told that it would be about 1 more hour so i waited. after an hour was told that it would be a little longer and that they would need to charge me for an additional relays. i...

T
7:05 am EST

Car Toys - damaged car

Car Toys is a dishonest, unprofessional, and sloppy operation. I brought in my BMW to have an iPod connection installed and they assured me they had the right tools to do the job. When I got my car back there were 2 large chips in my wood veneer console, where the installer had simply pried off the piece with a screwdriver. To make it worse, they denied they did it, falsified the paperwork I had completed when I dropped the car off, and tried to make it look like the damage was there before I brought in the car. Avoid this company at all costs, because it will cost you in more ways than one. I've never seen a company with worse overall customer service. They should be ashamed.

1:46 pm EDT

Car Toys - bad, slow,

dont get the insurance...thats all i got to say..i would even stay away from cartoys..theyre not looking out for their customer theyre just trying to make a sale..insurance for cell phone took me a month to get replacement..had to send mine in first..they sent me a faulty battery in the new phone and didnt send out a replacement..i bought a new battery myself and luckly the phone didnt ruin the new 80 dollar battery..now im waiting for a call back because i now have a water damaged phone to return and my info in the computer is messed up so im waiting ..i give them a 1 out of 5 rating..a 1 star for replacing my tilt with a fuze that had a faulty battery..

4:36 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Car Toys Totem Lake Kirkland Washington is horrible! We've had nothing but problems with cell phone contracts and phones. DON'T EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!! My husband purchased a T-Mobile G-1 for me as a Christmas present and also purchased the additional 2 year replacement warranty for $199.99- my husband was told that if anything happens to the phone...

11:20 pm EDT

Car Toys - cell phone

I read the complaints about Car Toys but didn't believe them. I had purchased a car stereo system with no problem. Not so with cell phones. I spent 3 1/2 hours in the store getting my account established, etc. I was courteous and let the salesman move to other customers without complaint. Purchased 3 cell phones with new AT&T account. I tried to convince my wife to purchase the same phone I had. She insisted on a different one. We were assured that we could change it to the same as mine within 30 days ... no problem. Until we tried it. At first they were going to give us no credit for her phone and charge new price for the update. When I complained they then said we were too late to change anyway because they have a 14 day return policy. I showed them the 30 day policy I had in writing, but was told they did not honor that. All this with another store employee telling the Manager I was correct in what I was telling him. Don't go to Car Toys in Fort Worth, Texas. You are sure to be burned.

3 comments
W
May 11, 2012 4:15 pm EDT

Bought the 199.00 insurance and was told i would get a brand new phone anytime i messed mine up up to 4 times in 22 months. Went in for first time and they said i had to call a number. Then the people on the phone charged me 69 dollars and said they were shipping a refurbished phone to me not a new one. Then they called and said they were out of stock and that car toys would send me a phone and charged me 569.00 until i returned my phone to them. Opened mail today and i got a new phone literally just the phone no battery, no battery cover just the phone itself. I would suggest just paying the normal insurance through your provider. Atleast they would swap your phone out that day and not make you mail it in.

N
Jul 03, 2009 4:29 pm EDT

There are three or four Car Toy stores in Fort Worth. The one I went to evidently did not have all the information from the manufacturer to perform a complete install (and did not know that at the time of install), and because the blackberry no-hands feature to my car audio system has had a run of complaints, they are installing a separate blackberry interface at no charge to compensate. The Car Toy store I have been to, although has been slow, is trying their best to correct a bad situation that the manufacturer has put them into.

May 11, 2009 4:28 pm EDT

My husband purchased a T-Mobile G-1 for me as a Christmas present and also purchased the additional 2 year replacement warranty for $199.99- my husband was told that if anything happens to the phone I could just bring it in and it would be replaced. My phone just died for no reason. I took it in and they could not find any damage and their comment was "I guess you're lucky that way..." The phone is less than 5 months old. The assistant manager JT said I will need to send in my phone to the manufacturer. I showed him our paperwork that showed the proof of additional insurance (which by the way is exorbinant) and he said their insurance doesn't cover the phone so I need to send it in to the manufacturer. I am in sales and rely on my phone for business and cannot do business without the phone. I need a replacement phone and right now I am losing business and they will not replace the phone. We will never do business with them again and I am getting the word out. Their promises and their business is a total SCAM!

2:50 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased a Blackberry Curve in August of 08 at that time I also paid $200 for the extended warranty through Car Toys. I went into the store when my phone no longer worked and was handed a phone # to call for "customer service". I called the # and was told I needed to pay them an additional $55 for non refundable replacement costs and would have to give...

A
7:31 pm EST

Car Toys - blackberry cell phone warranty

What a ridiculous nightmare! I got suckered into purchasing a $200 extended warranty for a new Blackberry Pearl in January 2008 (I know-very stupid). 11 months later the phone simply wouldn't take a charge. I called the warranty phone number for the CarToys warranty who told me to go into the retail CarToys store and see if it was the battery or charger. I knew it wasn't either, but went anyways. The clerk informed me that she saw bent pins in the charger port. Bent pins? What are you talking about? I have no idea why the pins are bent, but I have a deluxe extended bumper to bumper warranty that I was told covers everything, even putting it through the washing machine. I've never touched the phone in any abusive or negligent way. I'm not some kid who just wants another new phone for no reason. At that point the clerk gets on the phone with the warranty company, supposedly a secondary vendor. All of a sudden the "deluxe" bumper to bumper warranty was denied because "I had obviously tampered with the pins." I again explained that the charger wasn't taking a charge and that nothing had been tampered with. They sent me home with my old phone saying they would find another way of covering it for me and let me know by that afternoon. Needless to say, I didn't hear from anyone and called the following morning. Now I speak to the manager and he says he'll get back to me in just a bit. He calls back in an hour and tells me that he has to jump through corporate hoops but that he thinks he can replace the phone but the warranty is now void. I tell him that he'll have to do better than that as I foolishly paid $200 for a warranty that was completely bogus and invalid. I still haven't heard from him. This afternoon I called Verizon who told me they would send out a new phone immediately and that it was still considered covered under the manufacturers warranty within 12 months, no questions asked. Now I want my $200 back from CarToys. What a ripoff company. Slimeballs!

Car Toys contacts