Cambridge Who's WhoScam

C

I was conned into a supposed free listing in their directory which I called back immediately after finding out they are not a legitimate who's who organization to cancel this transaction but am still waiting on a decision from my American Express investigation of their charges. I have not accepted any services or bogus plane tickets they offer from these crooks and do not feel I should pay for services they have falsely represented. They could not provide any names of organizations or people who supposedly nominated or referred me for this listing or qualifications of their staff who supposedly approved my listing and created my biography for this service. They have over 150 complaints filed against them including my own to the better business bureau of NY. I feel because I called back within an hour after realizing I was scammed and nonrefundable was never mentioned at any time during the phone conversation I had with them until I questioned their credentials did I receive this via email.

• Mr
    mrchris Sep 14, 2012

guess what?
    Ray Garcia is BACK on the scam again.
    hos new details:

Fax: [protected]
    International No: +[protected]

• Us
    usavacantland Jun 01, 2012

This is definitely a scam all the way!!! I received the same sales pitch as everyone else about the Gold & Platinum deals and then as a last resort was offered the $99.00 deal. I thank God that I did not fall for this scam and turned down all the offers. The sales lady was very pushy and did not want to let me think about the offers, and said I needed to make my decision right away. Once I told her that I was financially uncapable of buying a membership she gave up on me and hung up the phone. However, I must have been on the phone for at least two hours with her where she was getting information to write my biography! A word to the wise if something sounds to good to be true it's not. Again I thank God that I followed my original gut feeling and knew this was a scam to take your money!!!

• Lm
    Lmmorton Dec 20, 2011

I contacted them based on an add claiming something for free registry for female business owners.. They called and after giving them all kinds of personal info, including my credit card number. Then they listed all the 'benefits' I would receive. then they quote a number of member ship options, non free, but rather in the hundreds of dollars. I am just a small business owner, just starting out and little capital. I told them I can't affordd it. so they said they would not charge any thing but I would receive a membership bundle, and membership would be complimentary for one year. I received a postcard, with a website, for which most links did not work. A couple of days ago, a Heather called from there. Told me I was a VIP and they would write up an article about me. Not sure why, any way. She asked me if I was interested, well yes, of course, then she quoted over $600 for this privilege. Do they not remember I cannot afford it. ? She hung up before I could say no. So I wrote them back and said I cannot affordd it, please cancel. then they sent me a form to 'sign' to get a small sum back. I checked my bank, they took over 700, I did not authorize it. There is no purchase order, no invoice. I did not agree to this. That is indeed a scam.

• Ms
    msajfar Oct 11, 2011

I was actually looking for a women's professional network and thought this might be legitimate. They called me and went through the "qualification" process. In that process they send you immediately your information via email: This starts the clock ticking on your 3 day right of rescission (depending on what state you live in). However, they do not actually provide you the log in credentials. You go to this beautiful page that looks quite professional. The mistake they made was giving me this link with the confirmation. While I couldn't log in, I do know how to find cached pages. Their website was horrible! It look like every social networking site had a party and threw up on a screen...their screen. This is when I learned that CWW was a scam. I called in to cancel and received one of the biggest run arounds of my life. I simple said, I do not like your services and want a full refund. I had the verbatim sales script repeated to me more than 5 times by the first person to which I said "if you say Donald Trump Jr one more time, I am going to flip out. I am not and never will be impressed with the Trumps and I don't care about the Trumps...don't say that again!!!", I was transferred to a supervisor. I said the same thing, I looked at their site, wasn't impressed and want a full refund. Sales script twice more to which I said "I didn't call you to sell me something, I called you for a refund" She said "you haven't given me a valid reason for a refund" To which I said, "I do not have to have a reason. I'm within my legal rescission period. If I want to cancel because I'm in a bad mood today, I can. You will process my refund immediately and we aren't going to discuss it any further. She immediately sent me the cancel agreement, which I e-signed and has my funds 15 days later. Since this time through research, I have learned; if you will pay, you will be accepted. They don't care who you are, your title, experience or qualifications. It's simple a pay to play website with no validity what-so-ever.

• Gg
    gg313 Aug 31, 2011

I agree. I did not realize this was a scam. Well, it is not seen as a scam in the usual way. True they do make you feel great with all the praise, but the pressure to pay is there. And I did give my AMEX card number. Then after further research I found out the problems with this company that I called back and asked for the charge to be on hold. Too late. They charged within minutes after speaking with me. Then I called AMEX. They were great. They offered to step in and dispute on my behalf. I had all the contacts for them and they would make sure the charges were reversed and dispute with Cambridge directly as they did not want to put a hold on the charge. In fact, I told Cambridge, while I do further research on this please do not charge. I was told this is a scam. They became defensive. Then gave a list of all the who's who. I told them that's great and those are big names. I'm not a big name and can't afford that kind of expense unless I am sure. The wanted another card number then. Why would you refuse to reverse or hold the charge if you had have nothing to hide. Then the rep became very rude. I'm glad I got AMEX involved and the charge will be reversed.

• El
    Ellen777 Aug 23, 2011

I am so glad that these postings show that this is a scam. If it had not been for a co-worker that overheard me talking to them I would have lost almost 800 dollars. I was questioning the money as I was not expecting this. I thought that this was for free and I belive that it was presented in an advertisment that it was free. I was feeling pretty special that I was going to be reconized for all my hard work and this is really a let down. I also like they way that they drop Donald Trump Jr.'s name when talking to you. I wonder if he knows that it is being used by a scam organization? I did ask them if I had to make a decision right away. I would have liked to have some time to think it over. I was told that I had to make it right away. It was getting suspicious when they kept lowering the price. In the end, I declined and you could tell the lady was not happy. All I can say, is that I am happy I still have my 789 dollars. Shame on these people and something should be done about them!

Mareck Aug 17, 2011

I was conned by Cambridge Who's Who this week. I am college educated and I have a wonderful job. Unfortunately, I fell victim to their BS. I went online and Googled CWW and found link after link about how they scam people out of money. I also know someone who fell victim to them about a year ago. I reported them to the NY BBB and I am now going to report them to the Attorney General's office. I intend to get back every dollar I shelved out for this fraudulent organization.

• Ju
    jubilee314159 Jun 28, 2011

Avoid Cambridge Who's Who like the plague. I unfortunately did not research before talking to someone from there and it has ended up costing me quite a bit. The first part of the whole plan I can deal with it was the second call that angered me. I told the person up front it was not a good time for me to talk and she kept rambling on. I should have just hung up, which I unfortunately would recommend to anyone that talks to them on the phone, because I was not able to give my full attention to what she was saying. I also repeatedly tried to interrupt her to tell her I could not talk and she would not let me get more than the word "I" in. It ended up costing me a lot more than I would have ever been willing to spend on anything like this. Save yourself, save your money...AVOID this business if you can call it that. DO NOT JOIN CAMBRIDGE WHO's WHO. PLEASE AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Pi
    pillows talk May 13, 2011

pillows talk, SC

I received a phone call from CWW Monday morning and I admit I have never heard of them before but filled out a contact information 3 days earlier. In their contact info they said they would take 6-8 Weeks to call back, oh, it took them only 2 days, Saturday and Sunday. Anyways, I did sign up and was charged 208.95 USD (189 membership + mail delivery costs). I am a single mother, I have just recently obtained permanent residence status in the US and I started my own business, so I got talked into "business networking" and "personal branding". Ok, long story short, 3 business days later, as of today, I went straight to my bank and I had my account manager call them in NY. Apparently, I did not get a payment confirmation or a confirmation for memebrship or anything at all, nor any other services, the lady on the phone said only "the welcome kit will take 10-15 days in the mail" and so on, so it dawned on me that really, anybody could have charged my debit card. So, here's the answer to Tracey's question: don't call them by yourself, go straight to the bank, report fraud with their fraud department and call from the bank and ask for the refund. Of course, they don't refund. It was a hiddeous 1 hour phone call with the lady in NY on how I could benefit from this network, oh, and they published already my profile and so on. Tell me-if that is the case, well then why don't I have access and proof-read my profile and why do I have to wait for the mail package? my "profile" on CWW's could have content that I would consider not advantageous for my business and even ruin my reputation before I even started. So, whatever you want to call it, fraud, unprofessional business practice, bad business ethic- I have the legal right for a refund and they unlawfully refuse to give the money back to a single mother and a start-up business. Yet claiming to be a "business network". This is a business ethic I do not even want to be associated with or linked with-from a straight forward business perspective. They are pulling of the name Trump badly, and in this context, Jr. isn't smart by wanting to be associated with them. like it or not, your reputation matters-even for a Trump or Sultan of Brunai. Bank of America did immediately put the money for the purchase back into the account and clearly, I would guess in most cases, they didn't go over their refund policy with you, so they have absolutely no right to hold on to any payment a customer has made. Also, the lady pulled the recorded tape out and I made her play it because she insisted that I was told "all sales are final and I denied. So she ran the tape for quality purposes (which isn't allowed to be used for legal actions so they have no proof) and all it said at some point in the conversation was "all memberships are final". Final what-horses? I remember that the sales person said it in the context of a lifetime membership and not in regard of a return policy. So, uplift described a scam with these words: a scam is a manipulative ploy that indirectly prompts an individual to make a payment for a dubious situation if so perceived. The banker asked me several times what exactly did I purchase? and you know what? I had no answer. Honestly, I didn't even know what I did pay for. a membership? a buy one get one free airticket that never expires? a business network? I don't know, all I know is that I was sold a product I don't know, I haven't seen or experienced and then 3 days later, I have changed my mind about the purchase and made a business decision to cancel. I was told from CWW that I bought a customized product. So, if they don't even know exactly what they are selling then how do I know what I bought and why can't I cancel the purchase in legally due time? NY state law allows 3 days to cancel and get a refund. Just don't give up on it although it's a tough fight-simply because they refuse to give you as a customer your legal rights.

• Co
    Coachbuz May 05, 2011

I fell for Cambridge Who's Who's flattery for several reasons. How they learned of most of the accomplishments I have experienced, I'll never know. I have allowed them to charge too much to my credit card and am chalking it up to my gullibility. I do know that they are in cahoots with: Ashford Publishing Company, Premier Who's Who and American Registry. They all are involved in fraudulent activities as well as scamming folks. I have two names so far and they are CWW's Jackie Tufano, on the Uniondale, NY office and Tommy Duff who is with Premier Who's Who.
    Donald Trump, Jr is overwhelmingly involved with Cambridge Who's Who! You need only to go to their website to see him. My Discover credit card service is attempting seriously, to regain all my monies. The NY office of BBB is overwhelmed with complaints re: CWW!

• Tr
    TraceyinAustin Apr 26, 2011

I have disputed the charges with my credit card company and filed a BBB complaint. Anything else I can do to get my money back. I sent them back everything they sent me in the Welcome Kit (Delivery Confirmation), did not sign in to their website or benefited from them and they continue to refuse to refund my money. Any suggestions?

• Ha
    Had as well Apr 22, 2011

I was had too. They are good at separating people from their cash. I don't know how they sleep at night but it's their karma I guess!

• Ca
    Catalina L Mar 23, 2011

My husband received a telephone call this morning saying that he would be listed in a Who's Who directory and that it would cost $189 plus 2 airline tickets to any place in the world. He asked me about it and he said that they would network his business. I looked at him and said that I have never heard of Who's who being networked in our area. We own a small landscaping company and of course we would like to market our business. I told him why not do it the old fashioned way, local newspaper, local area advertising, church bulletin. If you have the gut feeling that something is bogus, go with your gut feeling. At least we were not duped into paying $189. Now I have to call my husband and tell him that he almost got suckered into this money eating scam. We work too hard to just give away our money to worthless individuals that prey on the desperate and weak. We all have our moments of weakness. Sometimes quick and easy sounds great, but a little hard work and determination never hurt. In fact it makes everything worthwhile and satisfying.

• To
    Too smart to be scammed Mar 21, 2011

I found this site while on the phone with 'Deborah' from Cambridge. Just in time, but I NEVER give into high pressured sales and NEVER give money to an unknown company over the phone and NEVER give money to people who are not upfront about fees from the beginning. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET A GOLF MEMBERSHIP!!! There isn't a single online listing that is worth that kind of money. Any TRUELY elite company does not have to perform high pressured sales. Please be intelligent. Credible companies are quite clear that they do not solicit money over the phone or email.

JacksonB Mar 20, 2011

Scam or no Scam they certainly are guilty of Spam and more Spam. I have un-subscribed from their email list several times, called them and asked to be remove and yet the spam continues. The fact that these people will not take you off their email list and continue spamming is a really good indication that this is not a company to do business with...

• Co
    Complaint from Las Vegas Mar 17, 2011

I didn't realize it was going to cost anything when I submitted myself for the inclusion in the report. However, then it came to the end of the interview where the bomb was dropped that it was going to cost money. It started at $800 for life. I kept declining and the price went down. By the time we were done with the phone call, it was a complimentary mention in a report. I'd rather spend the money on a Linked In upgrade than this. The network is much, much larger.

MarketingChic Feb 02, 2011

It's not necessarily a "scam". They do offer listing and networking opportunities. More like a sorority of business owners. Unfortunately for them, there are not really enough relevant eyeballs to make it worthwhile for any business owner. Their sales people are very talented, and I will say that I spent twenty minutes on the phone with sales before they drop the membership fee. They bank on you getting excited about being accepted and the new prospect and then, BAM - give me 800 bucks! Unless you don't have your own web site (which everyone should at this point) it's not worth the investment.

• Cr
    crystalagoon Dec 15, 2010

Ok, I agree Cambridge Who's Who may be a legitimate business who provides up front info but the sales technique and overall goal of the company are selfish. Calling up a C-average college student who hasn't really achieved anything recently sounds, to me, like the company is just finding names to call.

Here are other things that I noticed:

The same person called me every time

I was offered a plaque to honer me for some reason

The plaque came with some special section in the book

If I couldn't afford the plaque then I was offered to be considered for being honored some other time.
    So in other words, I wouldn't be honored unless I paid for some plaque that would be useless to me. "oh yeah, I'm special. Cambridge thinks so, for some reason."

Also, is this company related, in any way, to the school? I don't think so. I'm almost convinced this "company" is owned by one person: the same woman who keeps calling me 8 am to try to pay for some honorary stuff I don't deserve. When she interviews you, she doesn't care. She just needs to put something on the site they have to make it legit enough so we can't shut her down.

I'm sorry poke and Jasin. I do recognize this company is technically legal, but I hate sales and business already so businesses that pray on egotistical and attention-starving people is still unethical to me. If a toddler finds a toy on the ground, would you take it away from her with the "technically legal" reasoning that the toy doesn't belong to her because it was found on the ground? Just grab it out of her hands, "it's mine now. Wasn't really yours to begin with." might as well stick your tongue out, too.

• Ql
    QLFANS Nov 07, 2010

Geez Ironrod22000 - quite being such a bigot. I'm a Christian also and I can tell you your attitude is distinctly UN Christian. We don't need this kind of attitude on the complaint board. If you have a justifiable compliant then put it within the context of the business and quit bashing others - you only lower yourself in doing so.

• Th
    theirmom Nov 05, 2010

Same thing just happened to me. If I am as talented and bright as they said... of course I would not give them $799 without any research. As soon as I indicated I would call back within 24 hours, as I wanted to see if the publication would benefit me, the price began dropping. At $ 189. plus a free airline ticket, I still felt the need to investigate. She thanked me wished me well and said I missed the chance... Funny any of us in sales or marketing certainly dont spend 30 min. have someone who is indeed interested and walk away...

Not Helen Oct 22, 2010

Well I ladies and gents... I used to work for CWW. When I first started working there I truly had binders on, really felt I was working for an esteemed company (Who doesn't remember who's who in high school?) and I enjoyed going to work. The day I found out what this company was all about was jarring. I had a customer on the phone, we spoke for 20 mins and he was ready to sign a gold membership and put me on hold. When he came back, his demeanor changed and quickly got declined, I asked him why and you can tell he was seething and he held in the fact that i almost scammed him out of 800 bucks. After I hung up, I went online an pretty much ruined my ability to do my job : I typed in CWW/scam. I will tell you this much is true, Donald Trump Jr. IS associated with the company . I met him twice, He has his own office there and he needs a haircut. If I was his dad I would be ashamed to have given him my name. Oh, and Helen totally works there ;)

• Ir
    ironrod22000 Oct 18, 2010

This is a jew organization so obviously it is a scam. I have talked to jews over there and they are the most Christ hating jews I have ever talked to. On top of that the attitude is basically to admit they are a scam and that they took your money and then laugh about it. These people are insane and it is no wonder they have roped losers like the Trumps and playboy models to do their bidding. This company is nothing but 360 degrees of garbage. Nick Frolos [email protected] [protected]

P.S. To UPLIFT, It is most certainly a scam. The very fact that they send letters to people out of the blue and deliberately make it seem like there will be no cost to get them to call them makes it the ultimate scam. And as for the "high profile" members anyone who thinks that anyone who is not in the less than 2% of people that have ever lived that are equal with Jesus is "high profile" deserve to be scammed. "O boy the lifetime loser Donald Trump Jr. is a member, where do I sign up!?" LOL!

• Pa
    Patricia Wilson-Dimitry Oct 06, 2010

I received a letter today and was pleasently surprised until I realized that while they sent it to my work, they got the name of the business incorrect and I decided to get nosy. I sent a copy of four of my friends, two which are in the same business I am, and two other friends that are in completely unrelated fields and all of them sent me copies of reports similar to this one. The letter is not puncuated correctly either. After reading these comments, I can now spot the people that work for this so called company and Thanks to all of you who commented. I am sending this letter to the round file

Once again, thank you to all and I feel for those of you who have been taken. PWilson

• Ql
    QLFANS Oct 02, 2010

Breaking down the Who’s Who Scam

Overview

Each of these Who’s Who organizations all have prestigious sounding names like Cambridge, Stanford, Madison, Biltmore, etc. the better to suck you in. While some of these organizations may provide limited value, the reality is their high pressure sales tactics are extremely unprofessional. If they are above board these tactics should be unnecessary. As a seasoned and very successful sales executive of 14 years I would NEVER attempt to sell a customer like this – it’s sleazy. I received a call from Cambridge yesterday and told them to take a flying leap after the high pressure sales tactics.

They all state the endorsement of specific well known business executives or celebrities who they also list on their websites. They also post on sites like LinkedIn. I’d encourage folks to write to these individuals and to LinkedIn and suggest they reconsider doing business with these “questionable” organizations.

All of the Who’s Who appear to be based out of the state of New York – more later on why this is important.
    They all start off with an ego building trip couched as an interview about your credentials and history. At no time this early in the call is it mentioned that this is a “for fee” network listing.

Once they are done stroking your ego by telling you how great and accomplished you are during the interview (even if you aren’t), they drop the bomb – a “huge” membership fee.

When you waffle on the $1, 999 membership fee they present the $999 fee, then the $799, then $199, and finally the $99 basic membership fee. They are really aiming for any membership fee under $500 that they can sign you up for and the reason is . .

If you opt for the service and agree to pay any fee over $500 they will then do everything they can to get you to “sign” an agreement. Now back to previous points - in the state of New York, any telephone based sale contract over $500 has to be in writing and signed by the customer or it is non enforceable. If you opted for a membership over $500 and didn’t sign anything – too bad they are screwed – they can’t legally enforce the contract or collect on it and trust me they know it!

Even if you call back 10 minutes later stating you have changed your mind they will give you all kinds of BS on why you cannot cancel. This is blatantly false – regardless of which membership level you accepted, you have received no service, goods, etc. at that point in time and are within your legal rights under New York state law to cancel. Make sure you send in your request to cancel via email and send it immediately copying yourself and your state attorney’s office.

Let’s take Cambridge Who’s Who as an example. On their website they state they have 400, 000 members yet their annual revenues as posted on Hoovers are only $25M. I’m pretty good at math so that means that those members are only paying $62.50 each – not the $999 for the platinum membership, etc., not even $99 for the basic membership. And let’s not forget part of the sales pitch is that they will give you the companion air ticket worth up to $400 for free, even on the $199 and $99 memberships. If this is the case then they would have paid out over $160M in tickets for a company with revenues of only $25M. Yeah right! This doesn’t make sense.

New York state law allows the cancellation of membership based fees when the buyer makes the decision to cancel within 3 business days and service and/or merchandise has not been received and consumed by the buyer. This is why they are in such a hurry to send out the printed materials. However, bear in mind these CAN be sent back and reused by the company despite what they state. Do not open the materials if sent to you as you will likely need to send them back intact to get a refund.

The only people who ever receive or read these directories are the people that paid to get listed – in other words – big freaking deal! The only thing the premium membership fees seem to offer beyond just listing in the directory is a press release that is searchable by Google and there are other ways to get published and show up on Google – without shelling out the $$$s these organizations are asking for.

ReCap

Don’t buy anything from anyone selling something over the phone who is based in the state of New York unless you have done your research and understand and have received a copy of the refund/return policy.

Don’t buy anything from someone who calls you to sell you something. You should have been the one to call them to make a purchase. If they called you – BIG RED FLAG- hang up.

If your credit card company gives you trouble about trying to get a refund from any of these companies, pull all of the [redacted] links citing these scams and send these in the dispute form you file for the charge. Make sure they know you will report them (the credit card company) to the BBB for supporting scammers and not protecting their card holders.

Document everything via emails or in written certified letters. Do not back off and do not give up. The squeeky wheel gets the refund.

• Sl
    SLB114 Sep 15, 2010

I would like to know a). how to get a refund, and b). how to get them to stop calling me offering me all these honors and then wanting all this money for them. I fell for their flattery thing and thought it might help my career but it's not done a single thing but left me minus some money that I'd like back if I could get a refund. Who do I call to get my money back? How hard do I have to push to get it? I'd like some advice from someone in the know about how to get them to refund my money. I filed a complaint with the New York State BBB, but I seriously doubt that they'll do anything to prosecute the matter and help me get my refund. They've probably just been overwhelmed by so many complaints about this company that they can't really address each and every one. Please help - I need my money back. The sooner, the better.

Anthony Clayton TNSIA Sep 03, 2010

Have any of you heard of or tried "www.linkedin.com" This is the exact same thing, its free, and a much better listing.

• Md
    mdv1011 Aug 31, 2010

My story is the same as most in terms of... the excitiment, the interview, the sales pictch, the disappointment. I simply told them I was not interested; no pressure from Cambrdige at all. They were nice, profressional, and politely ended the call. There is no way I would pay that much money to be recongized in this way. LinkedIn does the job nicely.

• Mo
    moti4 Aug 21, 2010

I don't know whether this is a spam or not as I have not used their services.

However, their sales techniques have left a lot to be desired. I thought I was asking for info about joining a successful women's network from the link on facebook. I got the phone call for the interview a few days later and similar to the above posts, was then told of the memberships and the fees. I was completely taken by surprise. I said I would need to research the company and what the membership was about before committing to anything but the pressure was put on that I had to accept right then and there or never get another chance. Donald Trump Jr.'s name was mentioned - he's listed as the Global Director of Branding and Networking. The price dropped to $189 which I ended up giving my credit card info for. The next day my heart dropped as I reviewed all the comments online. If Donald Trump Jr. is indeed involved with this company - then shame on him for putting his name to this kind of sales technique - he really should know better! I immediately called Cambridge Who's Who and was forwarded to a voicemessage system. I left a message saying I wanted to cancel and get a full refund. I also sent a message online on their website saying the same. No response. Day 2 after the telephone interview and again I called and was forwarded to a voicemessage system. I left another message and referenced my first message. A few hours later I received a call back. The rep asked why I wanted to cancel and I said that after reading the reviews online I didn't want to have membership in Cambridge Who's Who and wanted a full refund. The rep said she could bring the price down to $99 for a 1 year membership. I said no thank u, I don't want to be a member and want a full refund. Surprisingly, the rep didn't argue further. She was polite and said she would send me an email with a letter and I needed to esign it or fax it back to her. A few minutes later I received the letter in my email indicating I would get a full refund.

After reading others' experience I was surprised with the ease of my request for a full refund being honoured and by the politeness of the rep.

My two cents to Cambridge Who's Who - if you are serious about building a professional networking and branding company and want to attract serious members, leave out the high pressure sales technique. It's reminiscent of timeshare sales tactics and is avoided by most consumers. It also puts your company in a dubious light. Why would you not want people to have time to think about whether they want to join or not? What's the point of having so many disconcerted and unhappy members? All the negative comments that come out of that are only hurting your company. Be upfront about all levels of membership and fees and about what the members will receive in return - then give them the time to decide whether they want to join or not. This will go a long way towards improving your own image and branding and give you more legitimacy, and in time the negative comments may start changing into positive ones. You put yourself forward as a branding company - learn to brand yourself better first.

• Tr
    triahl Aug 03, 2010

I have no idea if they are scamming or not but i paid over $800 not even 8 months ago and now they want another $900 for the book and printed material. I think they should absolutely add more value. Getting a little certificate and press release for $800 is not worth its value. Now if they gave you the plaque and all the other things they try to sell you 8 months after you buy the 'prestigious' lifetime membership then perhaps you would feel as though it was worth it. My advice. Spend the $800 on your own press and find another organization that offers more value for the price. Best of luck!

• Me
    Meganr5 Jul 02, 2010

I filled out the online application and they have been calling ever since wanting to "Interview " me...most of the time they call and hang up...I never really looked into it much but the next time they call I am going to tell them to stop ripping people off and quit calling me! So sorry to those that can't get their money back but thank you for posting so others know not to give out financial info to them.

• Ou
    oudette Jun 10, 2010

I just a call today from Cambridge Who's Who and spoke to a person who asked me details about my business. I was ecstatic because I thought this will for sure help my business grow. Towards the end of the conversation that's when she told me all about Platinum membership and the fee. The person on the other line was pressuring me to provide her my credit card info at the moment. When I told her that I would have to think about it and get back to her she immediately offer me Gold membership that cost approx. $500 (from $800 for Platinum) then to $300 then finally to $99. The person on the other line kept of persuading me and pressuring me to give my cc info even after I said I don't have my info handy with me. I told her that I will call her back and give her the info and she finally agreed to let me off the phone. Now here I am putting my two cents in with my experience with the rest of you. Best of LUCK to everyone whatever you decide.

• In
    InTheKnow Jun 03, 2010

I received my “invitation” this week and was skeptical. Nothing in the letter says anything about a fee. It comes across that you should be honored to be receiving this invitation. Bottom line, this is just SPAM. I actively use LinkedIn and find it a great tool for networking and professional development. It allows you to collaborate with other professionals in your career field and industry at NO COST. They too have a premium membership level that might be useful for people actively looking for a job or to recruiters.

Linked In is the “facebook” for all your work related relationships. How are you supposed to effectively expand your network using a tool that charges a minimum of $99/yr?

I Googled myself and my page on LinkedIn comes up at the top of the search results!

Thanks for taking the time to post your complaints about Cambridge. Complaints Board.com is great by the way.

BTW – Poke Yoke, I’m glad that you found Cambridge useful but insulting people because that expressed dissatisfaction with a service company uses high-pressure sales techniques and has a questionable value at best makes me think that the job you landed is in telemarketing at Cambridge!

Anonymously Anonymous May 02, 2010

Vic: Maybe we should just take you at face value and assume you aren't getting reimbursed in any way by Cambridge Who's Who. Please return frequently to this list and let us all know what your quantifiable benefit was from dropping that kind of money for their marketing. Like I said before, where you can that and a whole bunch more for free elsewhere.

• Victor Jasin May 02, 2010

Let’s take them down fast and hard...lol. Do you guys/gals even realize how stupid your described self directed dilemma sounds? If they DON'T give you your money back and promised then without question I would pursue whatever recourse to get said funds returned. Try get your money back on pretty much any online service that is high volume and you will have a long time to wait REGARDLESS of who it is. If you are so pissed that you are seeking revenge and want justice for something that JUST ISN'T ILLEGAL, then your spouting all that in places like this are what's wrong with you naive innocents.

I'd say I sympathize if you didn't get what you hoped, but you had a choice of saying no BEFORE you paid, and by the time you paid everything you need to know was provided and nothing promised in their service is remiss. Reading through the list of complainants is like reading through the editorial section of the Inquirer. You dumb yourselves down folks by what your hot headed comments are suggesting. If you show me ONE court excerpt of successful judgment against Who's Who then maybe you have a legit and sane reason to display your naive self-directed error.

So far I haven't heard of anyone who had to go to small claims court to file suit before they got a refund of money. And then, some go through with all the info and details and authorize their publication/data and suddenly decide they are embarrassed because a few bozo’s like you guys here decide to whine about being stung in a scam. If you got what they said they'd do and their contractual obligation was met then I'm sorry you misguided innocents, you have no recourse. If before they do what they've said you change your mind, fine get your money back and if they said they would, fine push to get it which there is no evidence anywhere that supports that ultimately those asking for refunds DONT' get said moneys return.

• Victor Jasin May 02, 2010

And yet another grandiose victim who felt deserving of a listing for what? You and 149 others in N.Y complained? Well for your info there are around 400, 000 others who are happy users of the service. There is NOTHING in their procedures that makes you pay for a false/fraudulent statement or claim. It's naive self-aggrandized folks like you that appear as victims. What happened you went and bragged to everyone you were on a Who’s Who celebrity list and found out it’s the marketing hook/technique they use to get you to look at the service that is available for anyone who wants to pay the price?

I too thought I was being invited over some fortune I hadn't considered, then I realized there is nothing of such consequence and esteem that would qualify me to be listed as some outstanding personality or entrepreneur worldwide. I called and I was told "after" the interview that it would cost money. I wasn't happy that I wasn't told up front and chose not to respond right away.

Then after consideration that the marketing methods and the fact they PUBLISH your profile for review and display for others, I realize this was a UNIQUE opportunity with an appearance of esteem. I paid less than I would pay LinkedIn for the same features for the same length of time and had access to features not offered at the lower premium level of LinkedIn making Who's who a LEGITAMATELY advantageous listing for my marketing and business promotion purposes.

I paid for the service less than 3 weeks ago and as yet only received a package and have verified OTHERS who have listed and received additional exposure in the Google search engine, thus my motivation to call back and agree to pay a short 1 year term. So far what I have is all I need to justify my fee. LinkedIn like Who’s who DOES fall on search engines. You can’t find me YET because I haven’t completed submitting my info yet and haven’t updated all my info and authorized publication YET. I am not looking for a recruiter as I’m not seeking employment. I am a “pro bono” retired consultant that simply seeks to put my name in as many search engines and desent networking sites as possible. You’ll find me on LinkedIn and Plaxo and Who’s who after I complete my info and authorize it’s release. I don’t need a professional marketer, and for the less than $200 I paid it’s cheaper than LinkedIn alone for the same period of coverage.
    If your only motivation is accolades and public adulation then you DESERVE your so called victimization. Your lack of intelligence and good judgment on the issue puts you in good company with the other 149 NY complainants. They are NOT breaking laws, they are NOT fraudulently claiming ANYTHING that you seem to think. The fact that their approach gives that impression, is NOT a scam, it gets you in the door to hear the rest of a pitch you have a CHOICE of accepting or turning down. You find out all you need to know BEFORE you agree to pay. If you are STUPID enough to pay and not understand what you have just done, then you need a shrink not the BBB.

• El
    E. L. Collazo May 01, 2010

I too fell victim to Cambrdge Who's Who scam. They have been telling me for the past month that they would provide me with a full refund of the membership fees. Still waiting for my credit card agent to credit my account. I however, did not report them to the better business bureau, Instead I have reportedthem to both the Massachusett and New York Attornney Generals Office. They have the power to go after this organization and force them to provide refunds to those individuals they promised refunds to. Also, if they are breaking any laws, and they probably are, the AG's can drag them into court. I recommend that anyone who has been ripped off to not only report them to the BBB, but to also report them to your states Attorney General. They will take this type of complaint serious nad prosecute if necessary. Lets take them down fast and hard. ELC

• Up
    UPLIFT Apr 16, 2010

Mr. Jasin provides quite a pseudo-intellectual tactic to defend his payment for inclusion. There are not 400, 000 paying customers ~ that number provided by Cambridge Who's Who includes non-paying "honorees" as well. Incredibly, Jasin's name when put in Google does not provide his "press release" as Cambridge Who's Who would claim. In fact, my own research on Cambridge Who's Who found web pages, its own company website included, full of programming errors, which makes all of the web hoopla worthless. Search engines do not index poorly formed websites/pages. When a representative of Cambridge gave me a name to search for, the person’s press release only appeared after typing, "Cambridge Who's Who" after the name. For $800-$900 USD, there are personal branding professionals with much more web shrewdness and who will individualize and not template one's web presence or otherwise and programming also allows for direct linkage to social media as well. Cambridge does not provide a novel marketing approach ~ except, give credit where credit is due ~ it makes profits through the duping of others. If Mr. Jasin believes he made the best business decision, so be it. We shall laud his new found and novel identity for marketing himself. If you want to test the waters ~ just call a recruiter and throw Cambridge out as a credential. It is more than likely that the counsel provided will indicate to leave that out of your career management equation.

• Victor Jasin Apr 16, 2010

Not everyone is so gullible as to think that they are important and worthy of recognition when they are not. Some of us list with Cambridge Whos Who because it is a novel marketing approach and gets obvious attention. I knew of the "scam report" and I knew there were fees involved as did some 400, 000 or so others. Simply bottom lining this as a scam does a disservice to paying members who otherwise have tools and resources with that list that others like LinkedIn don't provide.

If you felt you are scammed and duped perhaps you deserve what your ignorance and overextended feelings of self-worth are naive enough to make you believe.

Amway, Herbalife, Shaklee and many other otherwise reputable companies have also fallen victim to "scam" rants. Buyer beware and if you are too stupid to do some checking and due diligence before you give someone your credit card info then you need your judgment and intelligence examined.

If you have any problems with the above statement I can be reached as per info below.

Vic Jasin
    1009-85 Fiddlers Green Road
    London, Ontario
    [protected]
    [email protected]

• Fr
    freeze hands up Apr 11, 2010

i was sent a letter inviting me to join whoswho and their sister company USA honor society.these scam artists maDE THE MISTAKE OF SOLICITING AN ASSISTANT USA ATTOURNEY GENERAL working in the fraud division.my plan is to personally handcuff ray garcia and hook him and book him.dont drop the soap ray

• Fr
    FromBoston Apr 02, 2010

Like you all, I was also contacted by a lady from the phone number [protected]. It was a high pressure selling. Nobody like to get honored by paying for it. If it is not a scam then it is a foolish idea to execute at the first place.