Brookstone / Digital Photo Keychainnot compatible with mac!

For my birthday my children bought me a "my life - digital photo keychain". Apparently it works only with Microsoft and not with Mac. I e-mailed the company and asked if they could send software compatible with my Mac. I have received no word. I cannot return it because the kids bought it themselves and didn't keep a receipt. The fact is that it seems like a great product and I would like to use it. Brookstone has only to send software or trade the product to keep me as a happy customer...but they don't care. I truly believe that if a business doesn't care to please one customer, they will choose themselves over every other customer. This is very disappointing.

• Ca
    Carl Aug 25, 2016

My wife bought me a Brookstone watch winder to augment the winding operation of my Breitling watch (I also have a Sieko self winding watch). for Christmas. It seemed to be a good idea ... insure a self winding automatic watch is always well wound. The device itself works, ie, revolves in a circular manner for one hour out of four. However, neither watch get wound one bit ... the second hand still does not move on either watch when left in the device overnight. I tried to return the device to a local Brookstone store who would not take it without the original packaging and would also not take it as a defective device, ie, does not do what it is advertised to do. I called their headquarters and was told the same thing. I believe I am being ripped off, as I believe many, many others are in this matter.

• I have purchased two different i pad cases at Brookstone 10 days ago. When I found out that the new I pad two was coming out tomorrow I called Apple and ask them if I am able to return my I pad for the new I pad II and they said yes and not only that but they were also going to take back my travel case for the old I pad even though I didn't have an original box for it. I was so happy that my money wasn't in waste so then I called Brookstone asking the same question for the bluetooth keyboard case that I had paid 100 dollars for and the silicon case and they said that they will not return it with out the original box. Who saves the box for everything when you actually like the product? I don't live in a mansion... I think in special circumstances like this Brookstone should have somekind of plan to protect their customers purchases. I mean who will go there and buy their product? I am not ever going to buy any accessory from there any more cuz they sure don't care about their customers as long as they are fine... Brookstone should realize that even though they are not losing money for this but in the future they are losing a customer who is able to purchase a lot more... Why waste your money... Go to apple store and buy your accessory from there cuz at least they care about their customer and are responsible for the products that they sell. I suggest Brookstone to do something about this kind of special circumstances... I wonder if the president of Brookstone has boxes for all his purchases at home...OH maybe he doesn't cuz he doesn't buy anything from Brookstone.

• St
    Staccie Allen Dec 20, 2015

I am having the same problem! Still need software compatible with iMac desktop! All links are not working. Would be so grateful if anyone has found a solution.

• Di
    disgruntaledgranni Jul 07, 2014

My daughter bought me a Brookstone my life digital photo keychain so I could put pictures of her son (my Only grandchild) in it as a neat bragging tool. I have windows 7 & when I inserted the disc nothing happened, it did not install the transfer software and I have been searching for a solution online but have not had any luck. Most of the software I'm finding you have to pay for and am really not sure which one to use. Why should I have to pay for the software after she already purchased the product? I was surprised to see so many more complaints about the same product. I am very disapointed as I thought this was the neatest gift and was very excited to use it only to find out that I can't.

• En
    EnriqueV Feb 27, 2012

Hi. I tried the link you name at the beginning of the blog, but it returns an error 404 HTTP not found. Do you have any other link to download the software?

• Wi
    Windmistress Nov 07, 2011

The files on the Brookstone site do NOT work on the latest version of Max OS X (v10.5+). So far, this device is a major failure. Strongly recommend NOT buying devices from companies who won't maintain working software/drivers *and* make them easy to find on their web site.

• De
    deelicios Oct 05, 2011

is there a link available to download the software for Windows 7?
    thanks

• Ni
    Nicon35mm Sep 21, 2011

PRO FOOT AND CALF MASSAGER / Item # 651455
    I ordered a foot massager via the internet and paid with PyaPal. They charged me two times ($654). After four emails and PayPal’s help, I received $327 back in my account. Three weeks later, I am asking when will the item be delivered. After five emails, the item has been canceled by Brookstone and I will have to order it again. BUT !!! I still do not have my $327 back from them and the foot massager has gone up $100
    All this time I thought I was talking to CUSTOMER SERVICE ! I was under the impression that customer service department was to help you and not fan the flames.
    Brookstone Customer Service employees are to simply push generic reply buttons and not even try to help with a problem. This is by far the most frustrating and worst online experience I have ever had.

• Ki
    Kiptap Sep 19, 2011

I had the same bad experience. The return policy is not acceptable. The pillows that they have in display at the store (floor samples) have been used so much that they don't represent the product you purchase in a box. The firmness is different. You expect more for an $80 pillow and at least an exchange or return policy to keep customers happy.

• Ci
    Ciaran1234 Jun 05, 2011

I bought a black Digital Photo Keychain. It says on the box No Software plug and play. It also says Mac Compatible. I can't make it work. Tried every idea on this thread that seems to he been going on for 4 years now and its still not fixed. Would love any further assistance Ciaran

• Ds
    D.S. Melton Mar 12, 2011

I have an issue that doesn't seem to be coming up on the board, but is very similar to all the other issues I am seeing. I also received my key chain as a gift (friend had no use for it so she gave it to me...re-gifting). So no receipt, no box - so no way to return it or get any help (I wouldn't even know how...I never go into Brookstone). Anyways - I connect the device to my computer. I go through the steps to connect it: powerbutton>USB Connect>yes and it connects. For 5 seconds. And it auto disconnects. I went through all the links posted on this page and tried to download all the various software with no avail. I can't get it to stay connected long enough to open the software. The software will not open unless the device is connected. I try doing the speed thing - connect the device, open the software and should I get that far - the software gives me an error message saying the device is not connecting properly (Shocker!) and immediately after that - the device disconnects and shuts down the software.

I would like to use the device for pictures - but I am about ready to throw it out the window and stomp on it. Anyone else have similar issues?

For what it is worth:
    Computer OS: Windows 7 (NOT a Mac)

• Po
    pobarjenkins Mar 10, 2011

They can't re-sell something without a box. And this circumstance isn't special, you were unprepared. You chose to get a new product. Why should they take the fall?

I save the boxes to expensive items or items that I may wish to return.

• Lo
    loubyloo Jan 11, 2011

After two days of trying to get this product to work, I am still no further ahead.
    The product # is 640185. The problem I am having is the software will not load. I have Windows Vista and Brookstone rep sent me to brookstone manuals and I have tried both of them but none of them will open. The keychain I have is black and she said that it is discontinued even though I only purchased it as a Christmas gift in November. They were most unhelpful and said without receipt that basically it is tough luck! I also tried the tao downloads software which just says that the keychain is not responding and to try different post. This does not work either.
    So basically it would appear I am stuck with a photo keychain that does not function and Brookstone don't appear to care less.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

• Jc
    jc1147 Jan 04, 2011

I received a key chain for christmas but cannot get it to work on my mac. I called Brookstone direct, but they did not have a tech person and the customer service department could not tell me what's wrong. I followed all the directions, but when I got to the part where I choose the iphoto application to load my pictures into the photo finder program, it "cannot process". I have tried everything so I have decided to just return item for a refund. Photo keychain is a great idea, but only if it works.

• Ne
    nel vic Apr 16, 2010

Well while on holiday recently in new york, bought a brookstone digital keychain only to discover when i returned home that there was no disk... so now I am searching for software...Australia to NY to far to return item...

• So
    Sofia Ortiz Baeza Apr 06, 2010

Yo compre el digital photo keychain ayer en el Mall Gateway de SAlt Lake City, vivo en Costa Rica y al llegar a casa, vi que habia venido sin el c.d. para poder bajar las fotos.
    Ahora no puedo usar lo que compre!! y no se de donde puedo bajar el sowfware para usarlo!!!

• To
    toastycoats Mar 01, 2010

This is in reply to several comments this post has gotten.

To Gregory John Allen:

You are a [censored]. Don't ever force anything into a CD drive. If it doesn't want to go, DON'T MAKE IT! Mac users need to just plug the USB cord (connected into the keychain on the other end) into their Mac and that will automatically install the software. Don't blame Brookstone for your [censored] mistake.

To Ed:

The back of your receipt clearly states Brookstone's return policy. Did you use cash and want cash back? The registers only hold $100 to begin with, and if they had several cash transactions needing change prior to you bringing your keychain back, then they wouldn't have had sufficient funds to give you a cash return. In that case they can send you a Mail Check. I'm sure you blatantly refused this offer, though, since you seem like an ignorant dude anyways. If you didnt' have your ID or you credit card you purchased your keychain with, then it would be impossible to put the refund back on your card, hence the store credit. What's the big problem?

• Li
    Liz Stout Dec 08, 2009

I bought 2 keychains to give as a gift to my children, but I can not get it to work, all it ever says its connecting, I'm running Vista. maybe I'm just to dumm to know how to do it.

• Bo
    borth Aug 03, 2009

JMC2... then what? Seems that website is just selling the keychains...

• Jc
    JCM2 Jul 19, 2009

fyi: the URL to download the software is now: http://taoelectronics.com/keychainmac.html

John Jun 14, 2009

As to the "Where do you find research on it?" um... Try google and everything is made in china! GET A Clue! I bet you still believe in Santa Claus! You people with your small claims court and Credit card disputes, Good Luck! If you signed that receipt it's yours. It Is Your Responsibility As A Consumer To Ask About The Return Policy. Keep Your Receipts and Ask Questions! If you were smart you would have just bought ear plugs.

• Je
    Jeffsters May 06, 2009

I will say that the company may want to rethink the need for the software to begin with. Why not just expose a read/write folder that is accessible as any USB drive (Mac will read the Win32 format for example) and allow people to just drag photo's over. Sure they should optimize and resize but I think in all honesty you're better off including a free PhotoEdit software and have mac users rely on iPhoto than this. I'd create a nice PDF "How To Prepare Your Photos" guide addressing each platform and be done with it!

BTW: Apple does tell you not to EVER insert a mini-cd, that said there should also be a BIG BIG warning on the disk itself.

• Ko
    komains Apr 06, 2009

My g/f bought this pillow for me because it looked interesting and i wondered how it would feel like to sleep on it. The store clerk even told her that if she purchased the warrantee, she would be able to return it no matter what. This is the ONLY reason why she went ahead and bought it for me. Because at the most, she would only be out the $10-20 for the warrantee. I'm never shopping Brookstone again. Also, honestly, aside from their tempurpedic stuff... alot of their products are low in quality.

• Da
    Dan Feb 19, 2009

Requested an RMA for the iConvert product after product failed within 1 week of receiving product. Was told an envolope would be sent out to place on box it has been over two weeks all I have is a defective product! Verry poor customer service and aparently poor merchandise as listed by the recnt coments on this particular product.

• La
    Lacey Feb 18, 2009

OK...eewwww! Earbuds not personal care items!!!??? Come on. You have to realize how ridiculous this sounds. Do you want to put something in your ear that a stranger has already put in theirs? Of course not! It is digusting! Think about a doctors office. You would be grossed out if they didn't use those protective papers over them!!

• Mi
    michael wray Nov 09, 2008

I had the same problem with this keychain viewer. I put it in a drawer and didn't even bother returning it.

This past weekend I found a COBY keychain viewer on clearance at Sears. I bought 3 of them. It came with a mini-cd that I couldn't use on my lap top. I found the software online and downloaded it for my Intel based MacBook Pro. It installed perfectly and worked great with the COBY keychain.

I though I would then try the software with the old Brookstone. IT WORKED PERFECTLY. So dig out those old Brookstone viewers and go to the COBY website and download their software.

• Br
    Brett Sep 13, 2008

You may download the Brookstone version of the software and drivers from the following URL.

• Jl
    JL Aug 05, 2008

We actually believed the ad and purchased the Sona pillow. My husband still snored and what's worse is that after only sleeping on it for 2 hours his neck was stiff and he had a terriable headache for the whole next day.

Where can I find research on it?

I doubt that Brookstone pays more than $5. for this product since it's made in China.

• Km
    KMP1124 Jul 30, 2008

I have been trying since January to get a refund for some merchandise bought for Christmas gifts. The first couple months they told me they were backlogged with returns. Then they started telling me they had my return but were still backlogged with processing. then finally was told my refund would be coming soon. and now suddenly they say they never got my return. Which is b*ll, they verified more than once they had it. if they had at least said no and sent it back i might have tried to sell it, the items were pricey (not that there was any reason for them to say no!). some of the representatives i spoke with were pleasant but some were among the rudest and least helpful i have ever encountered. I do not recommend anyone purchase from Brookstone.

• Br
    Brett Jul 01, 2008

Hi all, we're currently reworking MANY aspects of our site to allow for greater support and a direct download of the software from Brookstone.com. We haven't had a lot of experience with driver dependent products in the past, thank you for bearing with us. Currently our server and service provider can't support the traffic but hopefully everything will be on the right track in the next few months. I'm glad so many of you found the advice helpful and I'm sorry the issue wasn't resolved immediately by phone when you had called. Again, if you need support you can email me directly (using the link above) or contact [email protected] Don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for these changes - I think you'll all be in for a pleasant surprise.

• Ke
    Kevin Thompson May 07, 2008

I must say, I was glad to find this thread, though it's not readily available from the Brookstone site. Seems to me that most of the problems are due to the rather foolish inclusion of the mini disk for purposes of loading the necessary software. While I understand the cost/packaging considerations that likely went into this decision, with the preponderance of slot-loading CD/DVD drives out there in laptops and compact desktops, these are essentially useless.

A simple fix would be to:
    1. add the website URL for downloads (that the Brookstone guy finally provided early this thread) ON an insert in the package;
    2: on that same insert, provide a caution that the mini-disk is ONLY to be used in tray-loading drives, this would have helped the fellow who jammed his iMac;
    3: finally, add the URL on the website under the product listing for the viewer. This is where I figured it would be and where I initially looked. The fact that it's made by a third-party company and there's virtually NO mention of that company in the supplied material makes it very hard to track down where you might get the necessary help.

It's a simple fix that I would have expected a company like Brookstone to have thought of particularly AFTER having this original post made so long ago. Trust someone will take this into account.

• Va
    Vanessa Alves May 04, 2008

I NEED HELP TO MAKE THIS WORK!
    I lost the CD that comes with the keychain. I´ve downloaded from TAO and everytime i start the program i receive a message saying: THE KEYCHAIN IS NOT RESPONDING
    I´ve already unplugged and plugget it back in, but i still get the same msg!

PLEASE HEEEEEEEELP!

Cheryl Apr 07, 2008

I have a Windows Professional operating system. All updates have been installed yet I get the blue screen of death when I try to load the pics that I spent hours saving. So what is the point? The blue screen tells me to uninstall the driver and anything I recently loaded. I restarted my computer and every time I plug in the thing to try to load the pics, it starts the download and shuts down the whole system again! UGH!

• Tt
    t. thomas Mar 14, 2008

i agree with lorne cook do your homework people!!!!!

Christy Barnard Feb 26, 2008

I am a bartender and a regular customer of mine gave me one of these for christmas. Unfortunatley the installation disk wouldn't work in my laptop for some reason. I searched and searched the net. And finally came across this website through a search engine. I'm loading pics now! Thanks to everyone who had this problem and shared I'm glad I found this!

• Na
    Nathan Beraha Feb 11, 2008

I "borrowed" my mother's key chain to add photos from home. I thought the new Windows Vista system would be around long enough that developers would have developed special software for the key chain.

The original version of the software failed miserably. I stumbled on the Tao website, and tried to download the 1/22/08 version of the new software. Even though it was labelled version 4.9, the install shield called it version 4.8.

Installed, re-booted, and connected the key chain. However, any time I tried to read pictures from my computer, I received the following error "PhotoViewer MFC Application has stopped working.

No response as yet from my email to Tao, and the Brookstone rep on the phone was totally unhelpful.

• Am
    Amanda Jan 13, 2008

I have loaded the software from both the disc and website and when I go to look at the pictures from the photo viewer my vista program automatically shuts down showing there has been an error. Has anyone figured out how to fix this? HELP!!

• Ar
    Archook Jan 09, 2008

I tried to return a gift within 30 days of purchase with receipt, they refused to refund my money. Instead, they gave me a store gift card. I sent an email, plus a follow-up, to their customer services and never received a response.

I will stay away from these guys. They are expensive, deceptive and poor customer service.

• Da
    David B Jan 07, 2008

It's not compatible with Linux either. Why not just mount the thing as a normal USB drive? Then everyone could use it. Lame product, returning it now.

• Ki
    Kirk S. Jan 06, 2008

To the posters who can't get to the bottom of the window: Have you tried increasing your display resolution?
    I am in the other 2% of the market and was given this keychain for my birthday. When you MacUsers complain about support, it gives me a chuckle, for nowhere at their website (according to Google) does the word Linux appear.