Balsam HillPOOR CUSTOMER SERVICE / DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS

This is the worst possible company you could ever consider doing business with regarding purchasing a Christmas tree. We are a very dissatisfied customer being added to the long list that seems to be growing with this company. There are numerous negative reviews, poor feedback and complaints about Balsam Hill<br />
After spending almost $2000 on a Christmas tree at the www.balsamhill.com web site, it was put up for Christmas of 2009, just after New Years Day a complete set of several hundred bulbs went out. We called their customer support department and they suggested checking the fuses. We did that and found they had blown. Immediately upon replacing them they blew again. A third attempt, they blew again. It was obvious now that there was some kind of electrical defect in the light string.<br />
We called Balsam Hill again and they said a member of customer services would call back. They never did. So we called them again and were then told they couldn’t do anything about it until February. We called again in February and were told somebody would call us back. They never did so we called our credit card company to file a chargeback. Balsam Hill responded to that by saying we should call them again. We did, only to be told that they may issue an RMA but it will take up to 3 weeks for somebody to get back to us to do that and only if they think it will be necessary.<br />
It has now been over 3 weeks and we have heard nothing at all from Balsam Hill. Having called them today, only to get the run-around yet again. This time told that there is nobody available in customer services to answer and somebody would call back. Sure, we have heard that one before! It’s not going to happen. I asked if the person had ever seen all the negative reviews on the internet about Balsam Hill and of course she said she has never looked and when questioned, why not? She said she was a temporary worker. This company seems to have an answer for everything.<br />
I would never recommend this company to anyone. They have zero customer service and just do not care. Their products and their company appear to be nothing other than a rip-off!

• Ba
    balsamhillsucks Dec 21, 2010

This is one of the worst e-commerce retailers out there. They just don't care about their products or their customers. I spent $2000 on a 12' tree from Balsam Hill. It arrived defective and has continuous lighting problems. This year more than 2000 out of the 4000 light bulbs do not work. Balsam Hill just says, oh well, you have to do maitenence now and again. The tree was bought at the end of 2009. Its in its second season this year. Balsam Hill is full of excuses and promises to call you back or send spare parts. Its all false promises. Once they have your money they just don't care. The Better Business Bureau shows dozens of complaints about Balsam Hill. Actually, all you have to do is Google the words "Balsam Hill Complaint" or "Balsam Hill Reviews" and you will find hundreds of unhappy customers. One customer has a dedicated web site called www.balsamhillsucks.com ! Please, do not but a Christmas tree from Balsam Hill. It will be the worst experience you have. Its a shame the recession didn't wipe-out this shady outfit!

• Mi
    Mike Bell Dec 14, 2012

Could not agree more, this is one poorly operated business with no structure and support. How can ELLEN and OPRAH photos be associated with this company???? These guys must be clueless or at least I hope so!!! This was actually a selling factor for me!!! The structure must be hidden! One cannot find a representative that can assist you without sending your requests to another department, all supervisors are always busy, ((( 30 phone call experience here ))), they can however take your credit card number and make false promises.
    First of all I ordered there best tree... an Estate Fir 12 ft tall with a 75 inch base. This is a $3000 dollar tree. Paid extra $300 plus on November 29 for second day Fedex and was told the tree would arrive on Saturday. If this could not happen, told the girl I did not want to order the tree. Was put on hold for few minutes, then assured this would happen. I finally received the tree on December 5th, we can all do the math. Then Immediately contacted the company every day to report the shipping delays, hence on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. On the 5th of December I called to say the boxes had been dropped off, no one signed and that 3 of the four boxes had been opened. The First section of the tree measured 60 inches, the Second section measured 68 inches. Woah, I stopped and called for the 7th time, inclusive of the order, to be told that I would have to wait 7-10 days for someone to get back to me to send me another tree. As one could imagine I did not take this and was livid! I needed the tree for Christmas not Easter. No problem, just have to return the tree, they sent me the RMA and address on the December 6th. *** ( Note this tells me someone can make a decision and respond ) *** WRONG!!! The NightMare continues!! Take the boxes back to my mail center to find out that the shipping will be around $1200 for a tree that I did not order due to the wrong dimensions, the second section was also damaged, and the other boxes 2 and 3 of four looked to have been repacked as well. Only one of the four boxes had never been opened. Basically I just got someone else's return problem. I call Balsam Hill from the shipping office to be informed about their shipping policy. This is the fine print, not the one that says 100% return satisfaction garuntee. WOAH!! I then called AMERICAN EXPRESS filed a complaint, then transferred over to customer service representative for further assistance. Am-Ex contacted Balsam with me on the line and listen to the complaint. Needless to say, after about 45 minutes we got the shipping down to $50 per box, $200 total. A few hours later Jody called me back and further reduced the cost to $50. GREAT this is finally coming to an end. WRONG AGAIN!!! I get a call today December 14th to find out if I received my email containing the labels. Of course there is NO such email. Had this address for 20 years, get 50 plus business emails per day from all the world and never a problem! The lady says she can give me the label numbers over the phone, thinking ok, lets try. I call Fedex and they try using the numbers which are not tied to any account, have no recipient or sender. Basically useless!! The lady tells me to call back if I have a problem. I do so and of course get someone different, she isn't available, and this lady is going to resend them right away and asks me to call back to confirm in the next 15 minutes. We'll she forgot to tell the next two people I talked to. Again, she is no longer available and the first guy is more useless, I have to hang up and just call right back. I get a lady who tells me its been sent back to another office and I should get a reply tomorrow, December 15th.
    I would strongly suggest NOT buying anything from this company. I agree with the others above, they need to be shut down. OPRAH and ELLEN should dedicate a program for this. Let them try to order under another name, see what they get and try to something about it. People should be careful about endorsing companies. I am from a family business of 47 years, others up to 25 years and have had very few complaints, but never left one unanswered and fairly resolved each and every one personally. My moto was the customer was always right! Hey, i just got a phone from the owner of a vineyard making sure my order was correct, thanking me, ect... YES THE OWNER! I as an owner of my business do EXACTLY the SAME THING!
    Balsam Hill in my opinion is NOT a trustworthy company, there product is NOT superior, in fact cheesy, there is absolutely no customer service or moral obligation felt needed by these people. STAY AWAY!!! Search for a Chicago based company 50-70 year old company, can't remember the name off hand, but bought 3 or 4 large trees from them over the last 30 years, they were just out of stock this time. Now, I know why...