Astar TravelUnauthorized billing!

Late Oct.2007 received a phone call;caller was happy to announce me that I won a free of charge journey to the USA, etc, etc. Had to give my personal data to prepare the paperwork and also my creditcard, without this would not be enabled to make the journey. No problem to give it since they did not ask my secret code. One hour later, I felt unhappy regarding the credit card and phoned BBC to stop the card on the phone with them, I asked them to check if inappropriate uses of the card had taken place lately: their answer was negative.

Now, receiving my monthly invoice, there was onlu one payment listed: US Dollar 998 for Astar Travel! I have contacted my bankers at once and asked for refund. I never signed any paper allowing this payment!

JoIsaia Jul 20, 2010

19Jul10, What can I say, found a charge on my credit card for $998 from the US by a company named Astar Travel is one clever scam company, tried calling the company and no one answers! Sent an email to [email protected] but no reposnse yet. Honestly i just disputed with my Visa card holder bank and further investigation is be proceded with the scam company!
    Really upset that I don't know how they got a hold of my credit card number and able to charge my visa card. I googled this company and got and address 4104 W. Linebaugh Ave. Tampa, FL 33624 USA or Toll Free [protected] International [protected].
    Really disappointed with this company and hope in the next couple of weeks to get my refund back from the bank.

none06252010 Jun 25, 2010

Anyone interesting in proceeding legal Advice against this company contact me I am in USA Tampa Fl.Send me your contact # to talk about it.
    Good luck

• Co
    cond Jan 13, 2010

OMG...I can't believe this. Astar done the same to me 2 days ago. Rang me at 7.30am and told me I had WON a holiday. Same deal as everyone else, wanted to verify my credit card details that they already had. The holiday really sounded good and you can be very sucked in by their call. Luckly we checked this site and realized it was a scam but unfortunatley they have my credit card details and now my bank tells me there is nothing I can do about them till they try to take out $998. Now I have to check my bank details everyday because of the access they have. How these people can sleep at night I don't know. Ripping off hard working people and the comment from the Astar worker is full of ### cause they do mention the word WON. That person is as bad as the rest of the Astar company. HANG UP ON THE ### IF THEY CALL. THEIR EVIL PEOPLE.

• Km
    kmoncur Sep 13, 2009

Well, all i can say is they ( AStar) are a bunch of ###s. DONT DO IT PEOPLE! You will not get your money back. The customer service lacks because there isnt any!! Dont bother asking for your money back as i did. Because they will say theyve already sent the package. And also they are a bunch of thieving liars. I wish i read all this before i got sucked in. Somebody in a good position needs to take these guys off the market.

Paul EC Aug 12, 2009

I would love an email address . they aren't answering their phones

Paul EC Aug 12, 2009

if you work for astar your a deadbeat not worthy of being a human. wheres the package wheres my refund where are you. rip off ###

• Gr
    grillus May 14, 2009

Does anyone know the email address of Astar. If so, please let us know. Thanks
    Grillus

• Jb
    J BLAKE May 11, 2009

Astar just tried the same scam with me. They promised me a holiday of a lifetime for 998us dollars but i wouldnt give them my credit card number. They stayed on the phone for half an hour trying to persuade me but i didnt give it so the just hung up, I checked them out after the call and was very relieved to find this site. I didnt lose a holiday i saved 998 dollars

Anil Feb 05, 2009

Wow!!

We just got the call at 23:00 at night here in South Africa. He spoke to my wife and seemed smooth and convincing. I was skeptical and bothered, and spoke to the guys. Tried the same trick of $998.00. I said we needed time to mull the decision over. He insisted and was keen to bill $498 now and balance before we leave on this amazing trip. He was insistent that it was only for today/ close of business. He said he would call back in 30 minutes to grant us time discuss.

I am literally read this between the space of that time. Yes, I have won! Thanks to your complaints I have just avoided being scammed!

Trust your intuition... if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

• Ha
    Harry Errington Feb 04, 2009

I paid almost £1000 for vacation including upgrade to bungalow because of my handicapped son. E-mailed ASTAR several times to ask for confirmation of dates and to ask where we were to be staying. Received no response as they now have my money. It seems they are going to claim I did not arrive for my vacation but how am I supposed to do this when I have no information other than vacation is in Orlando & Fort Lauderdale?
    Tried calling twice by telphone from U/K only to have ASTAR rep put phone down when I was connected.

John mc mullen Feb 02, 2009

Am in the same situation, asked for my credit card to check my security and worthyness, then hit right away with payment being taken from my account. Phoned Barclay to stop the transfer, told that the payment was pending and that if it went through there was nothing I could do except phone the vendor. Did this and was told to put the package on E-Bay and sell it on.
    I did not sign up for TIME SHARES and this is all the promotion was about. Still trying to get back monies. Even offered to pay for monies already spent on phone call and literature as NO B OOKINGS have been made, so that as far as I can see they have not lost out in monies.

Jon Sep 05, 2008

I am Jon from the tiny Island Malta in the middle of the meditteranean.I went through the same experience with these cons, but fortunately I use a debit card VISA so that I cannot make any payments unless I have funds available.What amazes me is the fact how they can take money without having the last three digits available and since they have been doing this for some time how come the U.S.law protect them as they seem to be in operation still as a travel agent.Oh by the way BOB see you in Tampa, SOON!!!

Anonymous Aug 30, 2008

Yes, this is a scam. Here is one one of the tricks these cons use. In some of the smaller countries, Denmark, Belgium, The Netherland, etc., most Visa cards numbers in that country will all start with the same 4 numbers! So, when the Closer gets on the phone with you, he will say that he has Visa on the line standing, he needs you to verify you Visa card number, and that Visa is telling him that your card starts with 4569, or whetever those first 4 numbers are for your country. He will ask, look at your card, how could I know the first 4 numbers of your card if this wasn't real?
    Thats just one of many tricks these scammers use.

• Bo
    Bob Aug 15, 2008

Hi. I work for ASTAR. Let me first start by saying all of you filled out an entry form online for a DISCOUNTED FLORIDA BAHAMAS VACATION AND CRUISE, thats why you were called in the first place, you asked for it. Secondly...in the script the words FREE, WON, LOTTERY, DRAWING, are never used. If u listened it is repeated several times. It is a very good deal and not a scam. Why u give your credit card number out and not listen to the terms and conditions of what you're buying is your own stupidity. Just because you were careless and now you are upset at your decision is not a very good reason to bash a company.

• Do
    Doris Aug 08, 2008

Does the trip ever happen?
    I've given them my card #
    And they have taken out the
    funds.So all i'm suppose to do
    is pay my plane fare, which
    they said that i can get a better
    price with them. so should i go
    ahead with them or get my own
    far?

Andrina Jul 15, 2008

These people are scams. they have been calling my phone for a few days now telling me that i have won a prize to the bahamas and Florida and making it soooo attractive. I told them to email the info but they refused. however the gentleman by the name Chris ask me for my credit card # which i refuse to give. then i check the net and found out these people are money hijackers. They needed me to pay 998 US in order to get the package within 10 days. Chris and his gang should be hanged by federal agencies.
    Complaining from St. Lucia

• Cl
    click Jul 14, 2008

And yes, they are still on the scam - I just fell for it, however calling my bank seems to have blocked them from actually transferring any assets - card blocked, remaining cash transferred to another account just to make sure.

This company utilizes a fact that cards issued by VISA contains a preset 4*** code - this happened to me, and as I was talking to this 'manager' he and two minutes later - lo and behold, money on transit.
    However, due to the time it takes for the transition to properly go through (takes a clearing bankday or two), contacting the card-issuer and VISA directly for blocking this transfer seems to have resolved it. ASTAR is a scam-company, and you WILL need to get hold of VISA or your card-issuer to get this resolved.

These persons should be stringed up and hung for scamming people like this.

palmi Jul 12, 2008

hi im from iceland so sorry fore my englis but i whas whatsing the news and someone from iceland got allmost robbed this astar ringed him and they say. you have wonn a ticket in lottery to florida and to disney world and somewere and they asked him to tell his creditcard number to be sure that they had the right nuber that whas blufff they didint have it but he didint say it lucy but my message to you is dont trust this astar ;)

• Mr
    Mr.X Jul 10, 2008

U silly silly people... How stupid can u be ?

• Ki
    Kirsi Jun 17, 2008

Same happened today to my boyfriend in the Netherlands. First, a woman from Astar Travel called and told the whole you-have-won story. When he asked where she got his number (and address) from, she told him he had filled them in on a pop-up; he had no recollection of doing that. (By the way, for EU citizens, holding this information in their data base without the explicit consent of the person concerned is against European data protection laws, as is passing on these data to countries outside of the European Union without such prior consent. If you do agree with having your data added in such a data base, you must be given access to your data upon request and you can ask for changes/deletion. You must also be informed of the purpose for which your personal data is collected. Since nobody here seems to have asked where exactly they got your contact details from, it would be interesting to find the source.)
    Then she put a sales man on who told my boyfriend that he would receive the tickets via courrier. He also tried to get the credit card details. Luckily, my boyfriend did not give them away and eventually, after a phone call of about 20 minutes, he gave up. Lesson: Do not ever give your credit card details to anyone over the phone that you do not know, do not sign anything without reading it carefully and basically, you can assume that when something sounds just too good to be true, it probably is.

• Du
    Dudley Jun 10, 2008

I agree! These guys are in the game of hard sell and no taking no for an answer. The con is that you can win some money in a lottery game and then you are drawn into a holiday arrangement. Erase the bloody thing and also take the address and put it onto Beebo and block the email from them!

Chig May 15, 2008

I had the very same call this afternoon in the UK. I didn't give them my details and as soon as it became clear they weren't going to con me, they hung up the phone. Very pushy sales person, deal that was waaaaaay too good to be true. I was transferred to the 'manager' who tried his best to get my credit card details so that he could charge £409GBP (approx $800) and so that I could register for the 'offer'.

They are very sneaky in the way they word things - trying to convince you that you have won a competition that you NEVER EVEN ENTERED! One salesman asked if I remembered entering - I said 'yes' and listened to what he had to say. Then the manager asked me to confirm this and I backtracked, saying I had no memory of registering with them.

They will scam you, regarless of where in the world you live. One line the 'manager' used was "If I was going to scam someone, I would scam someone local. It doesn't make sense doing this halfway across the world." Truth is, they ARE scamming locals, as well as people from Belgium to The Netherlands, to Australia and New Zealand.

They have your email address and your telephone number - in my case a UK mobile - and it makes you wonder whether you actually DID register with them or enter their imaginary competition. Trust your instinct and stick to you guns. And for goodness sake, DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS!!! Email addresses, phone numbers and postal addresses are bought and sold with little regulation. Credit card numbers cannot be obtained legally. Unless people volunteer them - exactly what they try to get you to do during the call.

Unfortunately if you are reading this the chances are you have fallen victim to these fraudsters. Follow the advice at the link below and hope for the best. Good luck!

• De
    Deb May 09, 2008

Hello to all people in the same boat (or not in the boat as promised!!)

So, I had THE phone call this morning! It was as above all the promises and the con job. Even had me thinking I had made contact with them at another time and given my details because as was said they had my visa number! And so, STUPIDLY, I gave them my last 3 digits on my card!!! I then asked him if
    he was going to access my account then as if he wanted the $1240 it would not be in there as I have a very low limit on my account. He then told me that that was fine as my tickets and so on would be held until I rang and confirmed I wanted them.
    Anyway to cut a long story short, I googled the company as soon as I was off the phone and hey presto I found this site!!! Oh be still my beating heart! I rang my credit card company 10 mins after the phone call and checking the site and asked if it could be stopped or that the company could be stopped from accessing my account to which I was told they had already done so for 3 seperate amonunts at 10 second intervals! The lady at the visa company said it was the most aggresive push for cash she had seen since working for the company and that had been 3 years!
    Luckily for me I didn't have any money in my account for them to access so I was spared the agony of losing funds! BUT please be warned this is a huge con and they need to be stopped! NOT one of the amounts was for the amount I had been quoted! They started out with $1300, then $936 and finally $640!!! How is that for proving it is a con to just get your money! They were prepared to settle for anything. I love the fact that I don't live off a credit card! Good Luck to others. But my lesson has been learned! Thankfully not the hard way!!!

• Ky
    kyle Apr 12, 2008

Hello all,
    I have fallen for all this too but with the difference that I paid with my consent with the intention to take the holiday this coming Summer. Now I am reading all this and don't know what to do. But is this all a fraud? PLEASE HELP.

• Ms
    M.Smith Apr 08, 2008

They're still at it, I got a phone call this morning about a trip I'd won to Orlando, all sounded to good to be true especially when told me it was only going to cost me $1100.00 US to fly from New Zealand. Think guy I spoke to must have been new because so far no-one has commented on being charged for flights unless this is a new tactic of theres to avoid prosecution maybe?? Laughed at guy on phone as I do not believe in credit cards but wanted to see how far he was willing to go to get it, was amazed that Iwent from winning a trip to Orlando only to them throwing in a 7 day Bahama cruise all expenses paid, Orlando trip with site seeing and of course Disney land and that I could take 3 people with for free on the condition that I go to a 90minute seminar on time shares, when I told him I had 5 children all of a sudden they were going to pay for them too all I had to do was give " my credit card details lol", he was that desperate for a number he was even willing to give a free rental car for 3 weeks oh please like they say if it sounds to good to be true it is.

• Ba
    barbara Apr 01, 2008

The same thing happend to me I am South African and received this phone call in October telling me of this holidy prize that I had won. It was valued at $3000.00 to go to Florida Disney world Fort Lauderdale, Bahamas.

They had our personel details form where we do not know. They told us that we needed to give a credit card number to receive the free holiday. our free holiday details would be delivered by courier within the next 3 weeks. I am still waiting and phone them at least 2 times a month asking them about this. Every time I phone I ask to speak to the person I spoke to before the answer is they have left the company, quite convenient dont you think, The last time I phoned they were going to email me the details what a laugh. The payment for $998 was taken of our credit card and we cannot get a refund. they are ripping the people off and I do not know how they are still in business it is a disgrace that they are frauding people out of the money and we are getting nothing in return so beware of ASTAR Travel.

• Sh
    Shelly Gregory Mar 16, 2008

I got the same call today. Did not give the cardnumber because you do not do this unless you know the company really does exist . I spoke with Roseann Breck 37870 Agent telling me of thi s" magical orlando trip" then she passed me over to some guy who spoke about being guyanese and into sales bla bla bla the guys literally started hitting on me after a while I realized he was trying to get our ages,names,email accounts as well as the credit card number in a very sly way,and then after my husband did not give him the credit card number the guy told him he was a jerk and hung up on him.
    It was pretty funny but everyone knows in warnings they should never give out their credit card numbers
    DUH!
    Be careful out there

From Trinidad& Tobago W.I

• Ce
    Celia Mar 12, 2008

I am a South African and was conned in exactly the same way! An unsolicited phonecall about a holiday prize that I had "won". It was valued at $3000 and I would "only" pay $998. They had certain personal details. I do not know how or where they came by this. It was the same holiday promised to others: Orlando, Daytona Beach, cruise to Nassau, Bahamas. The $998 was debited to my credit card account as a "purchase". BEWARE of ASTAR Travel. They are professional CONMEN.

• Ki
    kira gustafsson Feb 21, 2008

I got the same call today. Did not give the cardnumber because my boyfriend did not approve this... its his card but I "wan" the trip. Talked with Kenneth something over 30 minutes and after me not giveing the creditcardnumber he hang up on me. And called again just to check if Im really sure to skip this wonderful trip! Still, I said no. That they will not get this number..

Im so happy that I did not give any number from the card. How can Astartravel still exist. So much bad about them on the net.
    Be careful everyone!

• Ro
    Robert Crawford Dec 30, 2007

I agree, I have a similar story of deceit and fraud and lies and mal proctice. I cannot beleieve that this company is still allowed to con people out of their money from all over the world . I was conned to come from Australia and not only did I not get my money back but I didn't get the "free" holidays either. I have heard of numerous people who have been cheated in the same way. I wrote to and actually spoke to the Customer service manager A Mr Alan Morgan who made all sorts of promises including a refund but it never eventuated. This company is rotten from the top down and I caution anyone who is contacted to steer well clear of Astar travel/vactions, if you don't want to be conned. They are experts at that.!!!!!!

SANDRINE JOSSO Dec 07, 2007

You should fill up a form on the federal trade commission (ftc) if they didn't give you the money back. They did the same to me and this will help the fct to stop that kind of fraud.

SANDRINE JOSSO Dec 04, 2007

I completly agree with you they did exactly the same to me, so I wrote a mail to the police department at tampa, also to disney land because ASTAR told me I won a 4 days trip to disnaly florida. Did you feld up a form on www.florida-living.us ? For myslef it is after feld up a form on that web site that ASTAR contact me.