Angels of Siberiasiberian kitten

K Sep 18, 2019 Review updated:

I adopted a kitten from this breeder. The kitten was everything we could have dreamed of for the first few months. When he was six months old, he got sick really fast. He was diagnosed with FIP. The vet said that although you can't officially diagnose the disease without an autopsy, she was 1000% sure that he had FIP. This disease is a mutation, but can be avoided using simple precautions. This cattery was most likely over crowded, resulting in the disease becoming present in the litter boxes. Our kitten passed away less than a week later. In those last few days, he could no longer eat or walk. He ended up passing away earlier than expected, which meant that he died a few hours before his appointment to be put down. I hate leaving a bad review, but I don't want anyone to go through the pain that we experienced.

RESOLVED

• Angels Of Siberia's response · Sep 20, 2019

I am the breeder. FIP is not contagious and happens to 5 % of all cats in the world. FIP is as devastating to the breeder as it is to the buyer.
    As a breeder, I do all the precautions to minimize any illnesses in the cattery. Each mamma cat is sharing the litter box only with her kittens. I asked the owner to provide proof that the cat got sick and if the owner decided to put the cat to sleep, I need some kind of proof from the licensed veterinarian. I was told that the vet did not prescribe any treatment I was told that the cat died and the owner decided to not do the autopsy to confirm the diagnosis. Per my contract I will address the issue if i get a vet report from the licensed veterinarian. I cannot accept responsibility for the death of the cat without proof of death from the vet. I am really sorry for what happened to the cat and respect the decision of not doing autopsy, but with proof/microchip number/any information, I am sorry, but I cannot address it.

• Di
    DivinityBleu Mar 10, 2021

FIP is ABSOLUTELY contagious. In fact, the acronym stands for Feline INFECTIOUS Peritonitis. It is true that whilst 20 cats (for argument's sake) can be exposed to the coronavirus that causes FIP (which IS avoidable when animals are properly cared for) there may only be say 5 or 6 that will progress onto full blown, end stage FIP which is always fatal. There are many factors that go into what makes certain animals more susceptible than others, genetics can play a role, even sex can play a role as apparently males tend to be a little more vulnerable to it than females, but they both can get it. Most catteries that bring in outside animals run a VERY HIGH risk of contracting diseases and parasites. You really have to spend considerable time getting to know and investigating a cattery if you are going to fork over big money for a pure breed. You're paying for an exceptional pet, you deserve to bring home nothing less. The breeder is doing you NO favors.