Afhcho Property Management/ Debt tec (collections co.afhco took my deposit and still charged me for repairs they cant produce an invoice for , unable to produce the invoice since 18 Jan 2013 to date.

N

Good day

I did a joint application with my partner and applied for a bachelor flat at afhco property management for R2050 per month however I stayed with my sister Lillian, the first two months were fine until we had no water supply and the lift stopped working that was around August 2012 then we called and office and advised them we wanted to move out as the service was so bad we spent close to a week without the lift and water, had to take the stairs all the way from 9th floor as the lift was not working almost every day, then we were told if we move out we would forfeit our deposit as we hadn’t served a year, and then for the sake of our deposit we stayed, then it started again around October and got even worse, we were always told about a pipe that burst as we didn’t have water and unable to use a rest room at home for more than a week.

The lift is also not working and we used the stairs for up to 9days, then we decided to move out and Tlokotsi Taule promised to pay us our deposit back since we moving out because of their terrible service, we then served a months’ notice and moved out on the 31 November 2012, Monica, the new building manager did an inspection of the flat and said the flat is still in a good condition as we only stayed for 6months and still wrote that the walls needed painting, as there was bubble gum stuck on the wall by the previous tenant, we told her that other than that bubble gum/chappie on the wall the flat didn’t need painting, she still went ahead and said the flat needed painting and said I should comment on that, which I did by saying other than the bubblegum stickers the flat didn’t need painting, but she was not there when we moved in because it was done by a different building manager Freddie who also resides in the same building we stayed at, however, the snag/inspection check list was sent to the office, Monica even confirmed that the previous tenant was charged for the bubble gum on the wall. Then manager at afhco Tlokotsi Taule confirmed by email that we would get our deposit (R2500) subject to the conditions of the flat, then he said we would get our deposit in 7-14 days in December, then December went by without a word from afhco.

When we followed up Tlokotsi towards the end of December 2012 he referred us to Lucy Mashinini who said they charged us by mistake for the painting of their card board divider walls (which costs R1200 per each side of the wall in the flat) and that they are waiting for Koos to come back from leave to reverse the charges and that he would be back from leave on the 3rd Jan 2013, we waited and on the day we were told to wait for another 5-7 days for the funds, then on the 18th Jan 2013 we got an email from Lucy Mashinini saying we owe then R2299.37, instead of them paying our deposit they were charging us R2299.37 for the paint costs as we owed them R3600 for 3sides of the wall and they which is R1200 per side. (will attach copy of email as proof)

Since Jan 2013 We have been waiting for the invoice that proves that it costs R4800 to paint a bachelor flat with hard board dividers rented for R2050. When I enquire with Lucy Mashinini she says she is still escating the matter, it has now been 7 months without the invoice. I told afhco that I will only pay the money once I have received the invoice.

Then early in June their collections dept, debt tec started sending sms’s saying the account has been handed to the attorneys and then I told them that I’m still waiting for the invoice and requested for the attorney names and contact details they said the attorneys are in house and will call me which they never did, on the 3 Jul 2013 the regional manager sent an email saying he has investigated the matter and will refund me R1975 meaning I don’t owe them anything, this email was sent as they still haven’t provided the invoice, then yesterday on the 16 Jul 2013 I discovered that they listed us on ITC while they didn’t inform us about the listing as the matter is still under escalation with afhco. So afhco charged us an amount of R3950 which they unable to provide proof of payment for, I have been contacting them for the past six months and the whole matter was being escalated and they then illegally handed the account to debt tec and listed us on ITC without our knowledge and sent an email promising to pay us on the 3rd July 2013 and we still haven’t received the refund, is that fair and legal?

I spoke to Rodney Mashinini who works for debt tec the collections company who advised the balance owing is now R3100, I forwarded him the email Koos (the regional manager) sent to show that we don’t owe then anything and that he will refund me part of my deposit, then Rodney then said he can’t closed the account based on that afhco still needs to send a mandate letter for them to close the account, but afhco refuses to send the mandate letter to the collections dept. debt tec, the collections company sent me an sms advising that the account has been handed to the attorneys and when I requested for the attorney names I was advised that they are in-house and that they will call me, which they never did. And then on Monday I applied for a home loan and discovered that debt tec listed me on ITC without my knowledge, and when I called they said they had to, even when ive forwarded the email from the afhco manager promising to refund me they said its not enough and they still need the mandate letter to close the account.
I will also forward you the communication which I have gathered since Jan 2013 to date, the break down statement from afhco and deb tec and also proof that we lived on water bottles as there was always no water supply.

I couldnt upload the pictures but if you can provide me with an email address I can forward you the picture and emails from november 2012 to date.

Regards.