ACS Education ServicePoor Customer Service/support

D

My husband & I submitted a IBR (Income-based repayment) application to ACS on July 20, 2009. ACS received the paperwork on 7/27/09. The ACS website states to "allow thrity (30) for processing of the application. It has now been two months (9/21/2009)and the application "is still being processed". I have sent emails to them regarding the issue for the last month. The webiste requests 48-72 hours to respond to emails. The have responded to two of my four emails but they were not within the time period. It took them 7-10 days to respond to the emails they chose to respond to. We have called and talked to a representative only to get the run around. I am not impressed with this company at all! How does a company with such poor customer service grow to be a Fortune 500 company? Ridiculous!

fireworks_0808 Oct 02, 2009

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. ACS will then be far more responsive, and the complaint will be on record for anyone researching the organization to see.

Lisa Featherston Apr 04, 2010

I received an email today from ACS that wanted me to confirm my email address. To do so, I would have to give out my social security number on a site that is unsecure. In fact, in order to even get the phone numbers to reach them, you have to put in your social security number. This wreaks of scam to me. Why would any financial institution ask for your SS number on an unsecured web site and not offer you a phone number to verify with them that it's even legit?

I have never even heard of ACS and how the heck did they get a hold of my loan???? But of course I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place unless I am willing to chance it and give out my very personal social security number. Well NO WAY! They can call me if they want anything from me. That is the tackiest company procedures I have ever encountered.

• Ac
    ACS_H8R Apr 08, 2010

ACS is a scam syndicate and a disorganized institution of harassers. I'm a victim of IDENTITY THEFT that actually took place through a different bank via the internet four years ago. ACS bought that loan from the bank a year and a half ago, and have been sending me bills every since. As of today, I've had to request my THIRD fraudulent loan affidavit form to prove I do NOT owe them any money, and ACS claims the first form I filled out never made it back to them. The second form I requested (after finding out MONTHS after sending the first affidavit back to them) was never sent it to me! It's like they don't want to admit they bought a loan from a bank that was stupid enough to give away money to any 'ol crook with a stolen SSN and the dexterity in their hands to click on an "I agree that I am who I claim to be" e-signiture button on their online master promissory note web page. So I get the feeling I'll never see this third affidavit form I requested because ACS doesn't want to deal with it, and this identity theft will NEVER be solved. Hell, the original culprit will probably get away with the whole thing even if I do prove my case. Meanwhile, these ACS loan sharks will continue to harass me for the money that I don't owe, all because they're is too ###ed or purposefully trying to lose paperwork... especially their affidavit forms that could make them forfeit their precious interest! I'm refuse to pay for a loan I never took out. But at the same time, I'm tired of this run-around.

fireworks_0808 Apr 09, 2010

Lisa, that sounds like a phising scam. Go to ACS's website - type in ACS Education and you'll get the URL. It's a bit difficult to find but you should be able to find it without providing any personal information.

NEVER provide your SSN when prompted by an e-mail - it's always a scam.

fireworks_0808 Apr 09, 2010

My reply to ACS_H8tr didn't go through, so I'll re-post:

I agree that ACS is disorganized and inefficient, so contact the Better Business Bureau so they can take charge and compell ACS to respond to your issue. ACS really helped me out with my complaint with ACS that they failed to properly process my loan payments. BBB even forced ACS to provide me a copy of my payment history, and correct the method they processed my payments in my online profile - two things ACS told me they could not do. I think most of the Call Center operators are poorly trained and unable to correctly handle any complaints.

To anyone whose laon was bought by ACS - call your loan provider ASAP and ask them to sell your loan to another provider. You have every right to do this. Let's help put these guys out of business by taking ours elsewhere.

• Kg
    kgchan Sep 10, 2010

The only way to get your loan sold on YOUR terms is to consolidate.

sal depot Nov 02, 2010

I have a problem with an x employe. They lied some 20 odd years ago to get a job with the borad of education. She claimed she had a high school education. this was a lie. This women has retired since and moved to palm Beach.
    I find it wrong when others who did the right thing and worked for the legal reasons instead of scaming on the system for there own gain. She uses the system even today withe her for her medical. I am not saying she did not pay into the system. she did. but lied to get her job. There are so many people with out. she lied to the borad of ed to get what she should never have been allow to get in the first place. Union or not there are rule.
    She is taking a pension and is using her medical benfits for all they are woth. I find this lie very wrong. woundering if there was a way of bringing justice to this sitiuation.
    thankyou for you time .

• Br
    bridge68 Nov 13, 2010

To those interested in filing a Class Action Lawsuit against ACS - Affiliated Computer Services, a student loan servicing company,

I've formed a Complaints Board Group to inform and coordinate people who believe they are victims of ACS's deceptive and fraudulent practices.

Have you noticed that your principle doesn't decrease as it should? That every year you pay more interest than that appropriate for your interest rate? That ACS has misapplied your payments? Have you received phone calls and letters that your payment wasn't received only to look at your bank statement that ACS cashed the check? Do you have to supply proof for months only for ACS to deny having received the proof? Have you noticed that ACS holds your payment checks and deposits them on the date that most benefits ACSI? Did you know that for some people, if their check is not received and cashed on the EXACT date that the payment is due, the vast majority, if not all of the payment will go towards interest and therefore never be applied to pay down your principle?

I'm currently in touch with lawyer who successfully argued and opened the door for a Class Action Lawsuit against ACS.

See the lawsuit here:

And a summary of it here:

Please join and help to document this company's practices. This is going to take a group effort.

The group is titled ACS - Class Action Lawsuit for fraudulent and deceptive practices.

Best,
    Bridgette

• Ti
    TiffanyD Dec 17, 2010

They sent someone to my house on Monday. I was on a conference call for work but my dad spoke with the man. He drove up in a Lincoln, plain clothed and as dad put it, "ready to intimidate" handed my dad two unmarked envelopes with my name on it and asked that he give them to me. I was coming down the stairs as my dad was walking back into the house and the strange visitor had stepped off my front porch and was taking photos of my house on his cell phone. After reading the contents of the unmarked envelopes, which only contained forebearence applications, I looked out the side window to see if the man was still in my driveway and he was. He was writing down my license plate information.

What is going on???????? Is ACS allowed to send people to my house to take photo's and drop off unmarked envelopes???????? Very scarey! I called the police and filed a report.

lmsmith55 Mar 14, 2012

I recently became aware that ACS has taken over the handling of Direct Student Loan Repayments, something I thought was administered by the Federal Government. As of this past fall, the Direct Loan Servicing website was changed and all organization and proper processing of student loans seemed to fall by the wayside. I have been in repayment for 3 years and never had a problem until now. Their customer service staff is uninformed and instead of helping borrowers is actually forcing them into temporary forbearance because of misinformation and very slow processing times. I have been trying to get things straightened out for a month now and finally decided to write to my representatives and the Department of Education in Washington. These are government loans and should not be handled the same way private loans are. This is not helping anyone and may force many unsuspecting people into defaulting on their loans.

Lisa Featherston Mar 15, 2012

Oh man... can you tell me where or how you came by finding out that ACS is handling (all I assume by your posted statement) the Direct Student Loans? The Department of Education's website states, "The Four federal loan servicers - FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA), Great Lakes Educational Loan Services, Inc., Nelnet, and Sallie Mae. And according to what they are telling me, Nelnet is the go to guy before all others. If ACS is calling the shots, I definitely need to know that.
    Thankfully I am eligible for the Special Loan Consolidation Program and based on the criteria, my student loan(s) from ACS will be taken out of their hands and consolidated with the others. It would be my luck that once the consolidation is complete, the Government (who will then be the guarantor) will have put ACS in charge of their repayments. I actually would much rather it be Nelnet quite frankly.
    But if ACS is really "the one"... please let me know how to verify that information for my own preparations. Thanks for the heads up.

lmsmith55 Mar 15, 2012

If you go to www.myedaccount.com to manage your loan repayment and place that link in your favorites list, it will be listed as Acs - Manage My Account - Login. After having done a little research on the web, I found information to confirm this. This is the official Direct Loan Repayment account site and it is being managed by Acs. Once you are done with school and have consolidated your loans and are in repayment after the 6 month grace period, this is who you will be dealing with. Something needs to be done; these people are incompetent.

Lisa Featherston Mar 15, 2012

Okay... I finally worked all of this out because I was getting confused. I just hung up with ACS who currently serices an FFEL low of mine. Before I called them, I attempted to register at myedaccount.com as you've mentioned and it continually gave me the error message claiming my date of birth does not match my ssn and I recall running into this confusion before. Certainly ACS has never had a problem finding me in association with my FFEL loan when I call and yet when I try to log into any ACS site other than acs-education.com I get this date of birth/social security conflict and I wanted to resolve this once and for all.

It was explained to me that logging into myedaccount.com will be rejected if you do not have a Direct Loan with ACS and if you do, it will recognize you based on your DOB and SSN. This is why mine was rejected. My loan that's serviced by ACS is a FFEL.

She explained to me that nothing has change in regards to the entities that currently service student loans. She said this could be Sallie Mae, ACS, Great Lakes or Fedloan and that if any student's loans are being serviced by these servicers, those particular servicers may not have multiple websites for each kind of loan whereas they do.

The four servicers mentioned above were supplied by the DoE and ACS is not one of the four. According to ACS (that I spoke with), they do service Stafford Loans (which are Federal loans) but that the original lender of my/your Stafford Loan(s) chose ACS to service those loans rather than these other entities. She then told me that if I wasn't sure who services each of my loans (Direct, FFEL, Consolidated, PLUS, etc...) I should log into the Student National Data System (which I was already aware of) at https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/ One this sight, click on the number beside the loan you want to know about and it will inform you of who is the servicer of that loan.

I did this process weeks ago in preparation for the Special Consolidation and it took forever but I couldn't avoid doing it. I had to know who was servicing the loan, what the original loan amount was, how much interest had accrued, what the interest percentage is, and what the current payoff amount is. This site supplies all of this information which is great because it means at any given time, I can find out what today's bottom line balance is.

So in an effort to help make sure we're all on the right track in keeping up with our accounts... ACS (FFEL) states only those students who have loans other than FFEL will be able to register on that site; otherwise the student's attempts will be rejected with an error message during registration. They also verified for me that they are currently servicing only one of my student loans when I actually have five loans total. Others are servicing the four remaining loans. Since I told her I was so confused and needed to confirm whether or not ACS is "The" servicer for all Direct Loans and she clearly stated that (with the slightest hint of frustration by my continued confusion) what we're being told is absolutely not true and that the student's loan servicing entity depends solely on that student's lender. She also made it very clear to me that to avoid confusion and any potential late payments or fear of default, I must obtain my loan information, which includes the loan servicer's name(s) and contact information from the student loan data system.

According to the DoE, whom I also called, if you contact them in regards to your student loans, they will direct you to your servicer's and/or where to get the information.
    Dealing with financial responsibilities makes me very nervous. Because I have so many loans with so many different entities, I don't know from one minute to the next if I'm coming or going. Finally being introduced to the Student Loan Data System, the confusion is FINALLY resolve and I can breathe. Plus this Special Consolidate will eliminate all worry because rather than having to write 5 checks each month, I will only have to write one... Thank God!

Imsmith55 - it might be worthwhile to check out that data system to ensure ACS is the only one servicing your loan(s). Do you have more than one lender? The ridiculous number of lenders I have really irritates me because lender choices are basically out of the student's hands. At any given time, the school could (and often do) choose to do their student aid business with a different lender, thereby automatically turning your single lender into two lenders without any vote from you. It's happened to me multiple times and for this reason, it's no wonder students who borrow Stafford loans remain in a constant state of confusion. Some schools don't do that but most do and it needs to stop. THAT'S my complaint for complaintboard.com today. : ) Let me know if you find conflicting information on the data system about your loans. I'm curious because none of us can always believe what we see and here and I've got to be on top of my responsibilities in this area. Good luck.

• We
    Wendycat May 04, 2012

ACS is full of, at best of a bunch of incompetent ###s, and at worst a bunch of crooks. I have been dealing with them since NOVEMBER (it is now MAY) to get them to re-approve my income sensitive repayment loan. They either lose paperwork, or it takes weeks to process. Eventually I started incurring late fees due their ineptitude. I asked to be put in a forebearance while they fixed their f***-ups, but even that took almost a MONTH to get through. The most recent "supervisor" I spoke to (I was forced to speak to a different nitwit every time I called) gave me her extension and phone number AFTER i [censor]ed her out about having to re-explain my saga every time I called. I was forced to call again today, and the numbers she gave me were BOGUS. Apparently the loan has finally been fixed (this year, check back next November), but I still have the late fee (which I dont think I should have to pay) and I am irked at the fact the last supervisor OUTRIGHT LIED TO ME. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO????

lmsmith55 May 04, 2012

It looks like the DOE is finally trying to address these problems. Here is some info I came across today:

lmsmith55 May 05, 2012

This link has a form for resolving student loan issues. After two months of calls and emails, as well as letters to my representatives in Congress, my loan repayment plan is finally in order. But this will happen every year apparently as they currently are not required to remind borrowers when their annual request for documentation is coming up. It is recommended that borrowers be proactive and send their forms and income documentation in BEFORE the annual due date!

• St
    student loan5 Sep 06, 2012

What I do in these situations is record every single phone call I make. All you have to do is notify the rep that the call is being recorded (you dont need their permission and you call tell them in whatever way you want ---- "hey, this call is being recorded but i am sure you knew that") They record all their phone calls but good luck getting a hold of that recording. You local spy shop (i am not kidding) should sell cheap phone recorders that would do the trick. I record everything so i always have documention just in case i get into a "he said - she said" situation. It works great on traffic tickets too.

• Mo
    mommabeans Nov 12, 2012

ACS denied my IBR application because they said my loan was in default. However, the two reps I spoke to today in regards to their denial said, a total of 7 times between them(one said it six times) that my loan was NOT in default. I received their denial letter dated 11/5/12. On the same day I received a letter from NYS HESC dated 11/6/12 stating that ACS had requested they purchase my loan and to prevent my loan from going into default, I should contact ACS about the IBR plan! Seriously? Plus, it is clear what they did here! They got my application, and when they got the financial information and saw that my IBR payment would be $0, that's when they decided to request HESC to purchase my loan! That has GOT to be illegal!! On top of that, I have no more forbearances to take because I took as much as I could because ACS told me I had used up all my Economic Hardship Deferments, so my only other choice was forbearance. This chick tells me today, I still have 24 months left for Hardship Deferment, but I can't take it because my loan was not current and I had no more forbearance to take! And she tells me that the reason my IBR was denied is because my loan has to be in forbearance to be eligible, but I've used all my forbearances! I used all my forbearances because they said I had no more Hardship deferments, of which the truth is I have 24 months left! Because of their fraudulence and trickery, now my wages are going to be garnished and my tax returns seized, and that is going to leave my family homeless and hungry and that is not an exaggeration. I'm lucky if I have 20 dollars to buy groceries for my 4 kids after I pay my rent and due bills out of every paycheck! This cannot be FAIR! Is this Fair?? Someone please help me!

lmsmith55 Nov 12, 2012

Contact the Office of the Ombudsman: http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/disputes/prepare
    I was with ACS and had many problems dealing with them myself and finally got it all resolved. Today I was sent an email that my loans have been moved to a new servicer, perhaps because ACS is so bad! Hope this helps!