Access Americathe claim declined

M

I had purchased Travel insurance from Access America prior to the trip to Czech Republic for myself and my husband, tha package included: baggage coverage, missed connection coverage, emergency medical transportation and emergency medical benefit, trip CANCELLATION protection, TRIP INTERRUPTION protection abd etc. ( we have old parents: my mom was 81 yo and my father in law is 81 yo).
I left USA on April 5, 08 and my husband was supposed to join me one week later. While I was away my mom was admitted to the Hospital and passed away, as soon as I recieved the phone call from my family, i exchanged the air ticket ( paid extra fee, Penalty for exchange the ticket) and returned back home .
Of note: MY HUSBAND NEVER MADE THE TRIP
One week later, following burial, funeral, mourning I called the insurance to find out how to process the claim, few weeks later I collected all requested forms, death certificate, copies of the tickets, letter from my travel agent and etc and mailed to the company.
Since then, I had numerious e-mails and phone conversation with different agents and every time they were giving me hard time, requesting something else such as: natural causes of death is not enough ( please specify the cause of death) or they requested addition letters from her private phisicians, or they sent me to the hospital to get medical chart from the medical records, or to make corrections in the death certificate.
FINALLY!! 4 month later I had nice conversation with one of the supervisors and she said that insurance DECLINED THE CLAIM, because of my mom's pre-existing conditions.
Meanwhile we recieved the partial payment from Delta airline and Hotel in Czech Rep for my husband, who never made the trip, and none of them asked :WHAT IS CAUSE OF THE DEATH, submit additional letters
DEATH CERTIFICATE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH, IS NOT?
Please advise, what should be done in such a case. How can we get the payment from the company

• Ji
    Jim Dec 08, 2008

I purchased Access America ticket insurance via CheapTickets (which is itself a brand name for Orbitz). My flight was from California to Europe, and I was stopping in North Carolina to visit my mother on the way home.

While I was in Europe, my 91 year old mother was hospitalized for an obstructed bowel. I discovered her hospitalization two days before my scheduled departure for North Carolina, while I was in a remote part of Wales. I rescheduled my trip for the next day.

Access America first told me they would not help with rescheduling the trip. Cheap Tickets told me it was impossible to reschedule the trip. When I was back in the US, Access America did not accept my mother's subsequent death as an indication that perhaps my rescheduling of my trip was legitimate. After I got them a letter from her personal physician, they conceded that there was no preexisting condition.

Their personnel were unbelievable obnoxious. Cheap Tickets was actually worse than Access America, with their supervisor lying to me about updates they'd made to my Delta records. The Delta agents, who were sympathetic and superb throughout the ordeal, actually laughed when I repeated what the Cheap Tickets supervisor claimed to have done.

• 99
    99362 Jul 18, 2009

Approved Access America claim. They allegedly issued me two checks in April. It is now July, and I still haven't received either of them.

Access America approved my airplane ticket refund claim after weeks of letters and jumping through hoops including, but not limited to, being put on hold for 45 minutes while they looped one solid minute of “the Cannon in D” over and over and over again (I kid you not).

I’m pretty scarred from the whole ordeal and quite possible won’t go to another wedding ever again for fear of having flashbacks of that painful 45 minutes. I mean come on, if that doesn’t say “we’re a bunch of crooks who just want you to go away, ” I don’t know what does.

I booked my ticket through Orbitz which gave me the option to pay $25 bucks or so for "insurance." I figured Orbitz is a respectable company, they wouldn't advise their consumers to purchase something that's a total scam. Wrong.

Access America supposedly issued me two separate checks for the two tickets I booked (even though my claim was only for one of those tickets). Their website claims the checks were sent on April 27th.

It is now late July and I still haven't received either check, which most definitely means they never existed. I give up!

• MondialAssistanceUSA Jul 20, 2009

Hi,

I couldn't find an email address for you on your blog, so I just posted a comment there, which I hope you'll see.

I'm very sorry for your inconvenience and let me know if I can help.

Best,

Daniel Durazo
    Mondial Assistance USA

• 99
    99362 Jul 29, 2009

After writing this complaint, Daniel Durazo from Mondial Assistance contacted me, and shortly thereafter, took care of the problem and overnighted me the checks.

I'm very grateful to him for doing that. However, even with his help, the whole process and ordeal up until that point was such a pain I still wouldn't recommend getting Access America insurance or really any airline insurance policy. If nothing else, even if you do qualify for the refund like I did, it’s not worth the trouble.

No offense to Daniel Durazo, who does his job very well. If you ever have a problem with Access America like I did, contact him. He’s great!

• Br
    BrunO99 Sep 29, 2009

Prior to our Baltic cruise, our AAA agent offered an insurance alternative (Access America underwritten by BCS Insurance Company). This trip insurance -- according to the agent -- offered better coverage and higher limits, so we opted for the Access America coverage.

During the cruise our biggest piece of luggage (never used before this trip) was damaged. A wheel was shattered which prevented the case from rolling.

This could have happened at any of 3 or 4 different places, but was first noticed when we picked up the bag at the Copenhagen airport on the last day of our trip.

Upon arriving home, we filed a claim with Access America, but it was rejected because we had not reported the damage to the airline or cruiseline within 24 hours of the occurrence.

Even though we explained that we had no way of knowing when the damage might have occurred over a 10 day period, the Access America computer said "No tickee, no money". To back up their rejection a crass rejection letter from Access America, stated that we did not exercise Due Diligence.

So, if you purchase trip insurance from this company, you should be prepared to check each piece of luggage at each stop and be willing to spend the extra time finding the baggage office in a foreign airport or cruise terminal.

Because in the end, if you have a claim, you will have to satisfy the Access America computer to receive anything. Don't expect any "real world" understanding by this outfit.

• Gl
    GleK87 Nov 04, 2009

Delta sells travel insurance for which they receive an affiliate profit sharing percentage on their website when you buy an airline ticket.

The travel insurance is provided for by Access America and is intentionally designed to lead the consumer to believe if anything goes wrong due to flight interruptions and/or medical emergency that you are fully covered.

Not so! When a medical emergency occurred on our plane from Rome to JFK (New York City) on October 23rd, 2017 our plane was rerouted to Newfoundland, Canada for four hours. Upon finally arriving four hours late in JFK, I missed my connection to Orlando, Florida.

I remained hopeful considering I bought the $25 travel insurance through Delta and Access America.

I incurred $225 in hotel and travel expenses as a result of having to spend the night in New York and getting a rental car in Orlando, Florida (because my wife was to pick me up on Friday October 23rd and had plans on October 24th).

I therefore had to get a rental car and paid for a hotel and takeout food in New York... all amounting to $225.

Access America however only gave me $150 ...far less than a hotel in New York City (where Delta is based and headquartered) costs per night.

Travel Insurance through Delta and Access America is deceptive and a scam if they have no intentions of fully reimbursing, they should not portray and purport such when selling you their travel insurance product.

Consumers be forwarned the travel insurance at $25 is not worth it considering it doesn't even cover you for a hotel in New York or major cities across the world, where hotels cost $200 a night and more.

I've already complained to:

1. Attorney General Office in Virginia because the company is based in Richmond.

3. The Better Business Bureau

There is only one way to deal with these companies -- which is to take action. I cannot tolerate companies that take advantage of people in tragic times. Please take action as well. Maybe collective we can stop this from happening again.

julie.kang1 Feb 05, 2010

I had a similar problem - according to access america's claims adjuster, a letter from the oncologist on official hospital letterhead stating the date of the diagnosis as well as a statement that reads verbatim "this is not a pre-existing condition" is not sufficient evidence to prove that it was not a pre-existing condition.

• Up
    UperD Oct 18, 2010

I am a travel agent and have been selling this insurance for many years. They offer a policy which is supposed to be a "perk" for agents that covers all travel for a year. I purchased this in May 2017. I never thought more about it and went ahead and planned a trip for us for October. I got very sick 2 weeks before and only then did they advise me that the policy I purchased does not cover trip cancellation. It begs the questions: HOW IS THIS POLICY A PERK! AND WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY SUCH A POLICY since cancellation is precisely what you are trying to cover???? They are completely denying the claim and I am out $5000. Their own information says cancellation is covered but now that I look at it, the policy does not. What a fraud this is and I would feel responsible if they had done this to any of my clients. Please file this so others do not fall into this trap..

• MondialAssistanceUSA Oct 18, 2010

Thanks for your comment. The product you're referring to is a Professional Travel Product which is not offered to the general public. It is designed for travel professionals who are traveling on agency business and do not require trip cancellation benefits. Many travel agents like this product because it provides "post-departure" benefits for one year at a very low cost. Trip interruption, travel delay, medical and evacuation coverage as well as 24/7/365 travel assistance make it a great product for travel professionals who are traveling on agency business. For personal travel, I can suggest a number of great products that offer trip cancellation for covered reasons such as illness and injury.

Best Wishes,

Daniel Durazo
    Access America

• Jy
    jyoans Dec 01, 2010

I am truly sorry it has come to this, however, I think it is very important you know the contractual breach with Access America and myself. On September 8, 2017, I purchased a travel protection policy from Access America for travel on October 29-31, 2017. I later changed the dates with American Airlines and paid a penalty to change the dates to November 12, 2017. I reviewed the Access America policy number AMR00001801066 which was issued on September 8, 2017 to figure out if I had to contact Access America to change the original dates. There was no reference in the contract to contact Access America to change dates. On November 10, 2017, I contacted American Airlines and Access America to cancel my revised travel date of November 12, 2017 because of a seriously ill family member who later passed away on November 12, 2017. I started a claim with Access America on November 10 and retained a physician certification form from my family member's doctor who clearly stated: "He <my family member> will need his family support at this time." After contacting Access America, they said my claim will be denied because I changed the travel dates from my original travel dates in October, 2017. I challenged their decision becasue there is no reference in the contract stating I am required to contact Access America to notify them of the change. They still denied the claim although there is not a written clause stating the insured is required to contact Access America in the event travel dates change. Obviously, this is emotionally challenging because I had purchased an insurance policy for protection and when needed, the insurance carrier is not honoring the claim. I think it is only fair for Access America to honor the trip cancellation protection of $391.40 for which it was issued.

AAHelpTeam Dec 02, 2010

Hello,
    I’m Bree with Access America’s Help Team. We’re sorry your claim was not for a covered reason. Like any other type of insurance, there are terms, conditions and exclusions that affect coverage. In the event travel dates change, your previous policy cannot be transferred.
    Trip cancellation coverage refunds prepaid, nonrefundable payments if you have to cancel your trip for one of the reasons covered by your policy.
    You can see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about exclusions and other limitations here: http://bit.ly/azRs8b. Again, we’re sorry we weren’t able to cover your situation. If we can further explain the result of your claim, please contact us at help.[protected]@accessamerica.com.

• Jy
    jyoans Dec 02, 2010

Please SHOW ME IN THE POLICY WHERE THIS IS LISTED - it's not.

Youralwayswrong Dec 12, 2010

Why blame the company? they send them through the mail. and we know the U.S. mail isnt the best. I would have called them up when they didnt get there in two weeks. Have the checks voided and re issued.

Youralwayswrong Dec 12, 2010

I can do that! its right here!
    Page 15 on that booky thingy
    You aren’t eligible for reimbursement under any coverage if:
    •your common carrier tickets don’t show departure and return dates
    •the departure and return dates on your enrollment or other form don’t represent when you
    actually intended to travel

you didn’t change the policy. So when u filed the claim it showed the original dates. Not the real dates you went. So of course they didn’t cover you.

Youralwayswrong Dec 12, 2010

So you got $125 back? Minus what you paid? Sounds better than nothing. Why didn’t you read the policy? IF you had you would know.

Youralwayswrong Dec 12, 2010

I mean read your policy. It says right there to file a claim with them first. Plus I would always check it anyway! I would want to know who messed it up! I would blame them instead of a company that just insures.

• Im
    Imencio Mar 22, 2012

Based on a recommendation on Delta Airlines' website I purchased travel insurance from Access America. Subsequent to purchasing the ticket my wife received a diagnosis of cancer from the findings of a routine medical examination. We had no reason to expect this diagnosis, otherwise I would not have spent $461.80 for the ticket and $26.55 for the travel insurance. Today I received a denial of claim for refund of the ticket purchase from Access America, citing my wife's cancer as a preexisting condition. As far as I'm concerned, Access America is a bunch of crooks and Delta Airlines is nothing more than a shill for their con.

AAHelpTeam Mar 22, 2012

Hello –
    Thank you for voicing your concerns, we are very sorry to hear of your wife’s illness and we wish you both the best. I don’t know the exact details of your case, but I’d like to point out that travel insurance is like any other type of insurance in that there are terms, conditions and exclusions that affect coverage. As you may know, the product you purchased did not include coverage for existing medical conditions. Our claims department reviews the physician statement form submitted by your doctor, and bases their determination on the information we receive from your doctor. I’m very sorry that we could not cover you this circumstance.
    If you have further questions on the outcome of your claim, please feel free to email us at Help.[protected]@allianzassistance.com.

Regards,
    Jackie, Help Team

AAHelpTeam Mar 29, 2012

Hello –

We are very sorry to hear of your wife’s illness, and we sympathize with you both. We wanted to ensure that you saw the response we posted to your comment yesterday. Travel insurance is like any other type of insurance in that there are terms, conditions and exclusions that affect coverage. As you may know, the product you purchased did not include coverage for existing medical conditions. Our claims department reviews the physician statement form submitted by your doctor, and bases their determination on the information we receive from your doctor. Once again, we are very sorry that we could not cover you and your family this circumstance.

Regards,