AAMCO Transmissionterrible experience

I went to Aamco figuring that of all the little shops I hadn't heard of, when it came to my car, I would go to a REPUTABLE place. I went to Aamco to have some coolant lines replaced. I had a temporary fitting of rubber hose fitted into a flared brass fitting when I went in. I needed it replaced w/ a new line OR to have some new lines bent into shape and installed. This is not at all difficult for a Professional Transmission shop to do.

They said that they could not order these lines anymore, but that they could be bent and installed from new lines. That was perfectly acceptable so I authorized the work, to the tune of $200.00. They kept my car for a couple days even, saying they had a lot of other vehicles to work on as well, and that of course it took time to fix my coolant lines properly. After about a week or so of having my car back, it leaked. I took it back.

This time I was told that because my car was older, and very dirty underneath, they were gonna do a thorough check to see if it was in fact THEIR work leaking. They got back to me w/ a veritable laundry list of leaks my car had developed, now to the tune of $1500.00, but their work HAD IN FACT BEEN LEAKING. So they said they would fix their work and that I should get the rest fixed as soon as possible.

My car kept leaking, but it wasn't all just oil as they had led on, it was Tranny Fluid. I could tell by the puddle that was still fresh daily under the spot where I park, in the same spot as before I went in the first time to have it fixed, under the coolant lines.

This is now a few months later. I had my dad check my car out, he was a Licensed Mechanic at one time, and I just don't have $1500 bucks lying around for me to throw at my car all the time. My dad jacked up the car and had me and my husband crawl under to see as well... There where it had been all the time was the same piece of rubber hose that Aamco had been paid to replace w/ new coolant line. He called Aamco and asked why they did it. The manager cussed him (my dad) out and said he should have just fixed the car for me himself!! I did end up getting my dad to fix the leak, it cost all of $10.00 and a couple hours labor.

Aamco's Consumer Relations #, an 800 #, said they'd get back to me, but have not done so. I called and asked for a refund from the shop I went to. The manager got VERY RUDE and said I had MISUNDERSTOOD what it meant to replace the coolant line. I said if I didn't get a refund my next call was to the Bureau of Automotive Repair and that I would tell EVERYONE what happened there, here I am telling you... Don't go to Aamco!!!

• Ri
    Richard West Mar 11, 2008

Car was brought to the shop because it made a loud bang around the transmission area then quit running. After waiting over a week and a bill of $2102.99 my 18 year old daughter still does not have a car to drive. She picked the car up drove a couple miles and the car did the exact same thing leaving her stranded in traffic. It did the same thing several more times as we tried to get it home. She will have to continue renting or borrowing a car until the real problem with her car can be determined and repaired. Obviously the mechanics at this shop did not check the cars operation very well.

I feel she was ripped off bad.

CherieO May 25, 2011

Called and was told that a repair of my transmission would be between [protected] which included the 900.00 diagnostics. The price depended on if we wanted a 12, 24 or 36 month warranty. Made appointment for 8am Saturday. Was told that the diagnostics and repair would take 3 days. Contacted them on Tuesday morning and was told that they just started working on it. Called them in the afternoon and was told that the repair would cost 2100.00 and that was only the 12 month warranty. They know that once you have to pay them 900.00 you won't take it somewhere else and have to pay an additional [protected] to do the repair. I feel this is a bait and switch deal. The only reason I went with them was because they are a nationwide company. You expect this type of shady deal from a back yard mechanic not a national company. I am just sick because the truck isn't worth 2100.00 and now I can't afford to take it somewhere else and I can't pay my mortgage because I have to pay them an additional 300.00 I had not budgeted for.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices