24 Hour FitnessDeceptive advertising and harassment!

J

I've been a 24 hour fitness (in Hillcrest, San Diego) member for almost 6 years now. When I rejoined the gym and prepaid for 3 years in Jan 2007 to receive 5 free training sessions as advertised, the trainers were not available during the day or early evenings because they got other paying clients. I did finally get an appointment with and trainer Dan, and was told he canceled the session when I showed up (without warning) because he needed time to train someone else. I was told 3 months later I no longer got the free training because it had passed the time frame to receive free training sessions. My second complaint is the Hillcrest gym fails to maintain their equipment. It takes more than a month to fix a broken cardio machine and their reason is always that they are waiting for parts. The gym is over crowded and the men's locker room is sometimes unsanitary. Recently, one trainer in particular, John Miller, has been verbally aggressive and made physically threatening gesture by yelling within couple inches to my face, because I protested that he occupies more than a workout machine for his client at the same time during the rush hour in an overcrowded gym. Exercising in the gym is supposed to be a relaxing time at the end of the day for me, but the experience in this 24 Hour fitness has been unpleasant despite my best effort. They make an effort to get as many people to join as possible but they do not maintain their gym with treat people with respect for paying members.

sanjose guy Jun 07, 2008

I think you got a sweet deal not getting involved in those 5 free sessions. I had the same promotion. Those sessions do NOT concentrate on what you need to accomplish. They are nothing more than sales seminars and frankly a waste of time. I mean you just paid the company 500-700 dallars for 3 years, and they are still herassing you to pay an outragious training session.

If you are interested in real personal training from qualified trainers- 24 hour fittness is the LAST place you want to go. Those trainers are far more motivated to sell appointments than to help you reach your goals. I would try a small private gym that has ONLY trainers and clients. There is one near me called power bodies. It costs about 1.5 times what 24 hr fittness does but your work outs are much more efficient, and I've found that the preparation and organization of your session is night and day better than 24 hr.

I lost 38 lbs, 4 inches off my waste, while my arms went from 15 inches to 19.5 in less than 8 months.

I still use 24 hr fittness, but I dont go at peak hours, and I work on my "homework from" my real trainer