Whirlpool Water Heaterwater heater heating element defective

R

I am a Brevard County Licensed Handyman since 2002; and in other county for over 25 years. I purchased a Whirlpool water heater from Lowe's on 8-24-11 for an income piece of property. I installed it on 8-29-11. Immediately after installation the reset button on the electric water heater component continually kept tripping itself off - after a short period of time. On 8-31-11 I contacted a electrician & plumber friends to examine the heater. It was determined by both of them that it was installed properly by myself from the beginning. The heater continued to trip the reset button after being on for short periods of time. I had the electrician communicate with the American Water Heater Co. Technical Assistance, Service or Warranty Department @ [protected]. After discussing the problem the tech said "that it must of been dry fired and thus, they would not warranty this heater." After trouble shooting the water heater several times it was determined that the head on the heating element was defective. Causing it to leak into the foaming insulation causing the heating element to burn out completely. I spent several hours of unnecessary time and money returning to examine the water heater to try to fix this problem. This loss of valuable time & money is due to Whirlpool NOT standing behind their product within 5 days of purchase. I intend to file a complaint with the BBB regarding their lack of cooperation with this matter. It is my professional opinion that no person should have to deal with this type of consumer fraud. Therefore, I am recommending that no one should purchase a product from Whirlpool because the manufacturer itself - will not stand behind their own warranty. I have lost several jobs, and valuable time/money due to this outrageous consumer manipulation - on the part of Whirlpool and American Water Heater Company warranty services. I have the burnt out element in my possession - as proof to this complaint. I don't have a camera at this time to take photos at this time. After reviewing the complaint postings on this page with RE: to Whirlpool products it appears that they have been defrauding consumers for many years. CONSUMERS BEWARE!

• Er
    Erma Hodge Mar 14, 2013

I BOUGHT WHIRLPOOL WATER HEATER 10/17/12 FROM LOWES, BECAUSE I WANTED AMERICAN MADE . IT WAS INSTALLED 10/29/12. i NOTICED AIR I LINE IMMEDIATELY, BUT THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD DISPENSE. IT GOT WORSE BY THE DAY AND I CONTACTED LOWES 2 WEEKS AGO AND PLUMBER CAME, LET WATER OUT OF TANK AT BOTTOM DID NOT HELP, HE SAID ANODE ROD WAS BAD. I CALLED LOWES AND THEY SAID WHIRLPOOL WANTED TO TALK TO US. TODAY, WHIRLPOOL SAYS NOT WARRANTED AS ANODE IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY, AS NORMALLY WEAR OUT OVER TIME. IT HAS ONLY BEEN 4 MONTHS, AND I SAY THE ROD HAD TO BE DEFECTIVE WHEN INSTALLED, THEREFORE I WANT NEW WATER HEATER OR ALL MONEY BACK INCLUDING INSTALLATION FEES.. THEY SAID THAT I COULD BUY A NEW ANODE ROD FOR $50 AND I COULD PAY A PLUMBER TO TAKE PIPES LOOSE AND TAKE OUT OLD ROD AND INSTALL NEW ONE. I REFUSED, TOLD THEM TO REPLACE WATER HEATER AT THEIR EXPENSE. I HAVE DISPUTED THE CREDIT CARD CHARGES AND PLAN TO FILE COMPLAINT WITH ATTORNEY GENERAL ABOUT FRAUD AND DECEIT.. THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR BRAND NEW HEATER!!!

• Ro
    Robert De Forge Oct 01, 2011

I received a phone call from Chris @ American Water Heater - Whrilpool. He listened to my complaint regard the water heater and said that he would look into the defect we found. I told him that the manager at Lowe's gave me a new element for free; so he immediately dismissed my complaint. He did say that if I had any further problems with the water heater to contact him personally. FYI: Note that I lost a lot of valuable time and money do to dealing with this problem and feel I should be compensated for my losses. If the company did not disregard my initial phone call I could have resolved this problem immediately. Thus not having significant losses in both time and money in my business.

• Wa
    Water heater helper Sep 26, 2011

Sorry to see you're having problems! Can you contact me directly so I can help?
    www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com/help