Menu
Home Media & Publishing Westinghouse Electric Product quality
Author of the complaint
11:41 am EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I bought a 19" Westinghouse LCD TV late last summer. It worked fine until one day a month ago. It was only 14 months old. All of sudden it stopped working. A call to Westinghouse's customer service department resulted in a quick diagnosis: a back light problem. Westinghouse would offer no help in solving the problem as the TV was beyond its one year warranty. Westinghouse used to have a very good name attached to very good electrical products, from appliance to large commercial electrical equipment. My brother worked for the "old" Westinghouse Company for 25 yrs. Unfortunately, Westinghouse is no longer the same company today and obviously the "old" name doesn't mean the same as the current name. I will not buy another Westinghouse product in the foreseable future. I have 3 other TV's in the house. All of them are 8+ years old and all work fine. None of them are Westinghouse brand. They are all Japanese brands. When I was a child, "Made in Japan" meant cheap. Over time the Japanese companies learned how making quality products could mean more profits. Now, "Made in Japan" means quality, better quality than products of even US companies. Apparently the US companies have turned to China to make cheap electronic components for them. "Made in the US" is becoming to mean "cheap". The US companies had best learn quickly the meaning and importance of quality. I will be sticking with "Made in Japan" because today it means "QUALITY". And it doesn't make sense to pay an additional 25% for repair insurance. Just to get a product repaired under that insurance is a hassel.

More Westinghouse Electric complaints & reviews

Westinghouse Electric - tv quit working, 6 months after warranty period.
Westinghouse Electric - Customer support repair
Westinghouse Electric - Terrible customer service
Westinghouse Electric - Red on the right side of tv
109 comments
M
Jan 20, 2012 9:09 pm EST

Similar issue. Bought mine 5 months ago. Reported it to Westinghouse and it is going on 3 weeks now and no tech has come to fix it yet. They still keep giving me same old run around that they are waiting on parts. I say BS! No way parts take that long to arrive. I will never buy another Westinghouse appliance of any kind. I'm done with them.

F
Nov 27, 2011 3:27 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I purchased the SK-26H520S less than 18 months ago. Blue light comes on and no sound or picture. Have flat screens all over the house and the only (and last) Westinghouse brand. Used probably less than 40 hours since new. Junk... same as anyone says. Worst ever.

Aug 30, 2011 8:22 pm EDT

Just happened to us last night. Used the tv around five times in the two years we have had it. UGH!

my westinghouse tv ran great for almost 3 years but one day it just shut off the blue light wont even come on. I've tried everything they said and nothing, the best part is that was my only tv.

Jan 04, 2011 1:40 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

If you can't find those capacitors at RS try a local TV repair shop. They'll mark them up but it's still a bargain.

M
Jan 03, 2011 10:47 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am maintenance director for a nursing home in Minnesota. We remodeled a wing of our nursing home and we bought 19 of these televisions for resident rooms. At 13 months they started going bad. I complained and complained at the time, and finally got someone in distribution to send me 2 replacements (refurbished) for free. At the time I had 5 tv's that had gone bad in 15 months. I got the 2 free televisions, but they didn't last very long at all. It's now been almost 3 years and I only have 5 of the 19 that are still working. I've been replacing them at my own cost. Most of the time the sets go to the blue screen, then they won't turn on at all. I've done some research and found that it's most likely bad capacitors. Here is the site I've been looking at: http://www.fixya.com/support/p509141-westinghouse_sk_19h210s_television Radio Shack might be able to get the capacitors. At least I'm going to check it out, as I have more than 5 I would like to fix yet. My recommendation is never to buy a Westinghouse TV!

Dec 13, 2010 9:16 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

DITTO HEAD bought a Westinghouse sk-26h730s at Best buy, I also bought the warranty THANK GAWD. First time fix no power, Secondtime No volume, and extreme squeal, third time I can't go to HD mode. brought it back hoping I would get store credit, but after BB had it 4 weeks it came back no issue? I plugged it in, used the remote to change ratio, but I still can't go full screen (I have bars above and below..

Nov 28, 2010 10:00 pm EST

Same problem here. TV is used by my daughter at college. It sits in the box 3 months a year. TV will not power on at all and is less than years old. Same model SK-19h210S as all the others with similar problems. We will never buy another Westinghouse product. Class action suit count us in. Kelly from NJ

Nov 22, 2010 12:05 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

My 19" Westinghouse SK-19H210S has recently been having the same issue as everyone else. It usually comes on eventually (after 20+ minutes) but the picture is blurry/has lines in it. Hitting the PC button on the remote and leaving it in PC mode for a minute or two then switching it back to TV mode sometimes clears it up. I seem to have had mine working ok for a little longer than most (bought in late May 2008) so 2 years, 5 months). I was looking into getting it repaired but after reading all the complaints I'm thinking I'd be better off just investing in a new tv from a more reliable brand. Count me in if a class action is filed.

Nov 14, 2010 11:00 pm EST

Same issue - little used and suddenly done! Seems like repairs are running around $100 - better to just by a new TV from a quality maker...I'm in if a suit goes foward.

W
Nov 01, 2010 5:06 am EDT

Same problem withmySK-26H570D. Approximately 1 year the screen just went black very slowly. Blue light will go off and on, but that is it. I`am for class action suit.

2010-10-31 Frank in Denver, Co

d

D
Sep 11, 2010 9:48 am EDT

Same problem. I bought this for my 88 year old mother 2 years ago, She NEVER watches TV but family members occasionally turn it on when visiting. I tried to turn it on the other day and NOTHING!

Sep 08, 2010 7:40 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Same model, same problem. Mine also powered on by itself after a power outage when power was restored. This happend even when T.V. was not on when power went out. Junk.

R
Sep 08, 2010 12:24 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I used the tv for almost two years. Had it unplugged for a few months. Went to use tonight and dang thing would not start. Sounds like the same issue. Tried different power cords and outlets. Nothing works. I want a class action lawsuit. If this does occur please e-mail [email protected] or call [protected]. This is ridiculour. Bought mine at Sam's Club!

Aug 14, 2010 1:49 pm EDT

I won't rant about it because I got it for free, but mine also died about a month after the warranty ran out. No lights turn on at all, and there is a faint ticking when it's plugged in nomatter what the outlet. I'm 14 so I can't take part in a law suit, but I would if I could.

Jul 27, 2010 1:20 pm EDT

Here's a slightly different twist to the exact same issue. I also have the SK-19H210S that was used about 20 times. First...the HDMI quit working which I see has happened to others...then my TV stopped working and wouldn't turn on. I tried the same thing others tried...different outlets...different power cord...nothing worked. I left it plugged in and a couple days later noticed the blue light was on. The TV was actually working. I turned it off to make sure it was working OK...and of course it wouldn't come back on. Last night I thought I would give it another try...didn't work. This morning...blue light on and working. Shut if off...and now nothing.

I have another Westinghouse TV (36") that so far has been working OK (2+ years). I have a TV in the garage that I purchased in 1984 that still works just fine...other than it's analog and it's time for me to let go. Like others...I'll never buy Westinghouse again.

Jul 13, 2010 5:37 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I ended up repairing my neighbor's SK-19H210S for the second time, the first repair lasted 9 months. At least this time it blew two capacitors. The neighbors were so disgusted with it (it failed after about 14 months too) that they told me to just keep it.

I wish the shipping wasn't so high, if it's the usual blown capacitor problem it's not all that hard to fix. The local shops have in their favor, by the time you ship a TV back and forth it's at least $40 to start with.

K
Jul 12, 2010 11:33 pm EDT

Our TV crapped out after 14 motnhs of use. The screen stopped workinjg for more than 1/2 an hour at a time because it overheats. Now the TV is pretty much unusable. Called, and they told me no warranty, and that it was a programming problem that would cost more than the price of the TV to fix.

May 14, 2010 1:49 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

SK-19H210S died on me, after about the same time frame as all the previous posts. I'm all for a class action suit. This was in a spare bedroom and has probably not been on for 50 hours. JUNK WESTINGHOUSE products.

C
May 09, 2010 11:01 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

SK-19H210S just died on me, after about the same time frame as all the previous posts. I'm all for a class action suit.

May 05, 2010 6:08 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I had my local shop look at it and they said it would be about $80 - 85.00 to fix it.
TV's fixed but, , , , , , for $130.00 when all was said and done. I live in New York so, a good bit was taxes.

May 04, 2010 5:56 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

hi everyone, if you live in connecticut i'll come take your old tv off your hand for Free.
drop me an e-mail at [email protected] i have little to do now that i have retired from the Coast Guard. Thanks Guys

V
May 03, 2010 4:31 pm EDT

My 32 inch Westinghouse LCD tv just stopped working yesterday and it's only a year and six months old! I've been reviewing and have found out that it would probably be worth it to buy a better brand tv because it's going to cost about as much to fix the tv as I paid for it! The picture goes out after being on for only 10 seconds or so. I am DISGUSTED by the bad reviews that I'm seeing about this tv and would LOVE it if someone could also let me in on a class action suit against the company. I will never buy another Westinghouse product and I am so disappointed in the companies who sell their tv's. [email protected]

Apr 22, 2010 11:22 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Well, you'll never guess what happened to my TV, , yup, you guessed it, , , no power. 16 months of little use in a spare room.

Class action would be wonderful, , count me in.

D
Apr 21, 2010 12:24 am EDT

I HATE Westinghouse products! I had problems in the past where the display would get green lines and fuzzy and completely lose picture. To solve this I would turn the tv on and off or wait till it corrected itself. Sometimes tapping out would correct this problem. Now the screen is completely black with no sound or picture after turning the tv off and trying to turn it on again. The power LED light indicates the power is on, but the tv screen display is completely black. I’m interested in a class action lawsuit as well if anyone does start one. If Toyota has to settle lawsuits and get fined for their problems with theircar products the same should happen to westinghouse . At least toyota is trying to fix the problem and owned up to it but westinghouse hasn't done anything. Never again will I buy a westinghouse ever.

Apr 17, 2010 12:19 pm EDT

My Westinghouse SK-19H210S unit just gave out also... I bought mine from Best Buy and am more than willing to join a class action suit against Westinghouse & Best Buy. What a piece of garbage, only 18 months old...
[email protected]

C
Apr 09, 2010 12:47 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have the same issue. Just went out the other day. This is ridiculous! Are any of you lawyers and is there a class action lawsuit in place?
Thnx,
Chad

Apr 05, 2010 5:42 pm EDT

westinghouse will never enter my house again!

Apr 05, 2010 5:41 pm EDT

We should file a class action lawsuit against westinghouse

Mar 23, 2010 2:46 pm EDT

There is definitely a manufacturing problem with this TV. Same story as all of you. I have the SK-19H210S mounted in a rec room. It had the habit of turning on by itself. It finally died. We rarely used the TV. I, like all of you, have TVs that have been heavily used for a much longer time than the Westinghouse. To the folks at Westinghouse, your competitors TVs last much, much longer than 15 months. I have never seen so many negative responses to a product before...not that I look. The fundamental mistake I made with this purchase, one that I have never made before, was to not research the product before I bought it. For some reason I listened to the advice of the person at Best Buy. The good news is that customers "vote" with their money. Westinghouse is going to or should be seeing a significant reduction in the number of customers buying their stuff. We are getting smarter as buyers by researching products online...others will read this content and hopefully steer clear of Westinghouse TVs. A company interested in keeping or growing the customer base would, I think, step up to an obvious problem that is negatively impacting what is left of their brand image. My assumption is they are not paying attention. I do believe that all of us will be "voting" with our dollars for their competition that produces far superior and durable products. Goodbye Westinghouse. We can put your brand name right next to the Yugo.

H
Mar 19, 2010 12:45 pm EDT

I had the same problem with my sk-19h210s. It was about 15 months after purchase in July of 2007 and it worked great for those 15 months, I loved it. It was portable and had respectable specs, but cmon... the hdmi input failed to work after only 3 months, and then a degenerative meltdown of the unit's functions only 15 months after purchase. We consumers need representation here. I am in full support of a class action lawsuit.

[email protected]

Mar 11, 2010 7:02 pm EST

the HDMI dosnt even work wat a peice of JUNK!

K
Mar 09, 2010 4:55 pm EST

Ditto to everything being said. So dissapointed. Please someone file a class action - I am totally in... [email protected]

W
Mar 06, 2010 1:00 pm EST

same problem here 14 months into with light use this tv crapped out.. a piece of garbage..
what now? fix it at probably 1/2 the original cost where the quality reflects something else will break in the near future.. or just open up the garbage can?.. lovely.. welcome to America where the quick buck rules..

A
Feb 28, 2010 1:56 pm EST

I also have a 19H210S which was manufactured August 12, 2007 but the first letter is wrong, It wasn't manufactured in Japan, It was manufactured in Taiwan. The source of the manufacture or country it is assembled in really isn't the issue here. The integrity of the company, WESTINGHOUSE that puts it's name on the product is the real issue.
US companies have led this country down the road of total destruction, STEEL, RCA PICTURE TUBES, TELEVISIONS, CB RADIOS, ENTERTAINMENT RADIO SYSTEMS, AUTOMOBILE MANUFACTURES, CELL PHONES, REFRIGERATORS, MONITORS and just about every product you can think of. When are we going to wise up and quit supporting AMERICAN COMPANYS that pay out lavish bonuses for EXECTIVE NON-PERFORMANCE! The RICH get RICHER and the MIDDLE CLASS gets POORER while the MIDDLE CLASS pays for the current POOR CLASS!
We need a TEA PARTY or a class action suit to get there attention because nothing else has worked. I can't even get an answer on where to take this piece of junk to get it fixed and what it will cost. I sent comments to Westinghouse and I received a phone call that they are now having trouble with there system and lost all the notes I typed but they didn't lose my phone number. You have to remember that the NAME on the product is responsible for the DESIGN, MANUFACTURING, LIFE EXPECTANCY, PERFORMANCE, QUALITY and the WARRANTY of the product and no one else. Westinghouse is the name we should avoid and I'm looking at another brand with a three year warranty to replace this one which I'm going to invite a TV crew to film me using it for target practice with a 12 gauge. The old saying use to be, "YOU CAN BE SURE IF IT'S WESTINGHOUSE" really meant something to me about the company but now be "YOU CAN BE SURE IF ITS WESTINGHOUSE, ITS OVER PRICED JUNK"!

F
Feb 21, 2010 9:16 pm EST

Westinghouse Model # SK19H210S-- Same problem here. Turned off one day after watching. The next day we walked in to see a white screen. Remote would not shut it off so we unplugged it. When we tried to restart the set. NOTHING. A few hours later, after being plugged in, it came on with a white screen only, no sound. Lots of talk here about class action. Anyone acted? I am in also.

N
Feb 15, 2010 12:03 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Westinghouse should not be allowed to just get away with selling inferior products. I helped a senior citizen friend buy this TV just 2 years ago. She turned it off one night in December 2009 before it was 2 years old and has never been able to turn it back on.

Feb 11, 2010 1:18 am EST

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AFTER HAVING IT FOR 13 MONTHS IT WANT TURN ON, DO ANYONE KNOW IF THIS TV IS ON THE RECALL LIST IT'S A SAME TO MANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS MODEL.

Feb 03, 2010 7:24 am EST

Same experience as every other poster (at least on the first page)... I'd rather take a trip to Westinghouse Corporate than participate in a class action. If anyone's interested in that, let me know when [email protected] com

L
Feb 02, 2010 5:07 pm EST

I hooked my Westinghouse tv/monitor to a new computer and I am now watching a black screen blinking on and off between a few words of typing.
This was repaired (Best Buy store) a few months ago and is now out of warranty. What a piece of crap!
I think we need to engage a lawyer for the class action route. lyle

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

64 complaints