Washington Gasawful customer service

Washington Gas should not be allowed to continue its monopoly of the business. Its customer service is simply appalling. I spoke with three reps today and none of them was a native speaker of English (does WG use a call center overseas?) and were poorly trained, and made claims that were clearly false. For instance, one named "Kevin" (which I am sure is not his real name) insisted that in order to set up an account, I would have to go to the WG office and present 2 IDs plus the deed for my house. I had never heard anything so ludicrous, but he insisted that it was required of all customers. I asked to speak to a supervisor but was told they were all busy. Basically, WG makes it impossible for anyone to even make a complaint. How can companies like this exist and stay in business? It is time to end the monopoly of utility companies such as WG.

• Mg
    Mgr123 Mar 22, 2011

Their customer service is awful and is done overseas - in India I believe. They do tell you different things and blatently lie to you and leave you on hold for long periods of time - I have waited 40+ min to talk to someone. If I could switch to another company I would in a heartbeat.

• Do
    Don Butler May 15, 2012

I agree. Since Washington Gas closed its office in Winchester, Va., we now have to deal with their call center. It is the call center from hell. It makes "Peggy" in the TV ads look fabulous. AS a real estate company dealing with many service providers, Washington Gas is by far where we waste the most time. The people in the call center speak very poor english, don't understand their own product. They seem only to read from a script and can not problem solve. I would change all of our accounts to electric in a heartbeat. The BOD of Washington Gas should be embarrassed, or maybe they just don't care. Don Butler, Winchester, Va.