15447 Warwick Boulevard, Newport News, VA, 23608, US
Fri:Closed
Sat:Closed

Reviews and Complaints

IHOPblack balling

I was relased from my job at IHOP on Warwick Blvd after being verbally harrased and disrespected by a co-worker, who speaks and handles all employess in the building the same way. The management PaulDale was on site and in the same room when the worker addressed me first and started to call me names and yell and curse at me in front of all of my co-workers including my manager Paul Dale who was the only manager on duty at the time and he completely ignored the matter. I went to my General Manager Robert Hopkins as well who told me to hush in front of another worker Max Phal when I repeated what was said to me.
My manager Robert Hopkins claim he spoke with the co-worker after the first situation happened in November. Under my employee handbook General Policies Section 2.13 Violence in the workplace and harrassment and threats are strickly prohibited. So after the first time this man was spoken to in November, for him to be allowed to call me "ghetto, dumb, and stupid" should have been acknowledged and corrected immediately.
That was not the case my manager ignored the entire situation even when I brought it to his attention as the co-worker was still yelling, fussing and cursing. After I realized the managers both shift and General Manager wouldn't take actions on the matter after I brought it repeatedly to their attention. I clocked out and went outside to smoke in the smoking area and waited to speak to the co-worker who also smokes in a private manner after things slowed down inside. There was only three employees outside at the time getting in their cars to leave because of shift change, none which was management and all three of them are a witness to the event. I spoke with the employee and asked him to please stop speaking to me in that manner and it wasn't necessary for him to treat me and my co-workers that way. He proceeded to tell me that there was nothing I could do about what came out of his mouth and nobody was going to do anything including management, bragging about how he had punched one of the managers(Paul Dale) in the face and still had his job so what did I think I could do. I saw that there would be nothing I could say to make things right and started to walk away as I did he yelled out and I quote "yea keep walking you F***ing B*****". After I just finished speaking to him about the names he was calling me in my job. Out of anger and frustration I did pick up a medium size ashtray and threw it his way but it didn't touch his person and I have notorized witness statments from the people that was outside with me stating exactly what happened.
I am not seeking for my job back, but I have been with IHOP since 2005, and have served as a manger, cook, and waitress. On 12/4/2013 I asked my manager Paul Dale the only manager on duty to write me a discharge paper stating the date and reason I was terminated and he refused saying he had nothing to do with the decision and he would get my manager Jimmy who wasnt even on the premises or shift to write my letter. Jimmy did write my letter and I recieved it on 12/5/2013 but the details of the letter are all false, and hear say that is not correct. He claim he have witnesses but nothing in writting as I do. This letter that was written is hindering and will further hinder me from seeking further employment with other companies and IHOP's because of the false information that is written making the incident look as if I attacked my co-worker and doesnt even go into any details about his verbal disrespect, this not being the first time we have had a problem, or my managers not handling this situation correctly.
I understand that by me throwing a object I did break the employee handbook as well, my complaint is if the manager on duty had of handled the situation when it started and I came to them instead of brushing it under the carpet as they always do, I would have never had to seek for my own self-respect. As a employee if I cannot rely on my managers to have my back when I am being wrongly mistreated, then at some point as humans we all get tired of being stepped on and walked over.
As a woman in the workplace it is already hard to maintain a business relationship with the men at my establishment without having to deal with the sexual, and derogatory comments that are made to not only me but me and my co-workers.
I only won't justice and the truth to be written. I never hid the fact that yes I did clock out and wait to speak in private outdoors with a co-worker about a problem we was having, and yes I did throw a object, but as management these issues should have been resloved long before I had to take matters into my own hand.

• Up
      upset customer's Jan 19, 2014

Not understanding why employees are being punished because customers are not doing surveys. Its hard enough these days to make a penny. Severs already do not make enough and now the added worry of hours being cut. Really how unfair is this?

IHOPmanagement

Im am an employee at ihop on warwick blvd, and really love the job but we have very bad management the employees dont really have a voice in the store .The general manager has the part owner which is a cook and his wife which is a host running our store because hes scared of them.Every time an employee has a problem they fill like theres no one to go to!!!The part owner is disrepectful and down talks everyone so its no point of even talking to him his wife is rude and barks orders all day and had the employees moods messed up all day, when we all try to be happy at work. Its seems like they are on a power trip and want eveything there way our GM evan says this. The part owner which is a cook and his wife which is a host fuss in front of everyone.All the employees start wispering when they see the part owner come because they know hes going to be walking arround with a nasty negative attitude.When he is on the line in the back everyone prints there checks to one side cause they know hes just going to talk junk about any mistakes evan if its his fault!!! Its really sad when the employees go to the GM he acts like his hand are tied.His wife is once again a host and never is in uniform and eats what ever she want in the dinning room smiling. And they made a women that almost there age cry at work by telling her she was dirty, an I think she had a clean apperance, shes a grown women it hurts my fillings hearing this.The host christine comes in any kind of way she wants.The partowner is very very unsanitary and eats over the grill and never washes his hands!!! Someone needs to do something.I fill bad for the Gm he barely has controll the tell him what to do and I have worked at plenty of restaurants and never seen this before very unprofesional by me doing this is to help everyone cause people are scared to speak up to them!!!

• Carlton G. Long Aug 07, 2015

It probably wouldn't hurt you to stay away from IHOP for a while anyway, "Sarah P.G." Maybe then your husband wouldn't stray, and you could get stares from successful white men instead of hood rats for a change. Hope this helps.

• Sh
        shanenkrissy Aug 06, 2015

This is true, I have also seen a few things, but figured it was none of my business

• Th
        The Truth You Must Know Aug 05, 2015

"IF they are breaking a law, it is your duty to report it and if you don't you are as guilty as they are."

This is not true.

• Do
        donnaw1982 Aug 04, 2015

I have witnessed much of the same things mentioned in this complaint

• Th
        The Truth You Must Know Aug 04, 2015

"I have photo's and video of workers standing behind the little shed out back smoking marijuana"

Better call 9-1-1

Sarah P. G Aug 04, 2015

I have been a regular customer of this particular establishment for years, and for the most part the service and food is good. But as a business owner I must say that the way the manager speaks to her employees is despicable. Furthermore on or around 7/27/15 I witnessed a female employee named Kristina standing over by a neighboring business smoking out of a glass tube pipe. I have photo's and video of workers standing behind the little shed out back smoking marijuana, you can also smell it really strongly as you are going into the restaurant. I have witnessed this also while the male evening manager was standing outside with them. I have heard some of the waitresses make comments about the cooks getting drunk on the line. The name mentioned was Seven and I believe Brian. And the manager is supposedly aware and does nothing about it.

• Kc
        KCSimon Apr 12, 2013

First of all let me explain that IHOP has nothing to do with the staff and can't tell the owner what to do or how to manage his or their employees. Second and last, if the employees are being treated unfairly and you have proof and documentation and you may be able to to file a complaint with the labor board or even file a law suite. There is always a third choice, quit and more on to another job. There are plenty of jobs out for those who are willing to work hard.