ADVERTISIMENT
Thu:9:30 am - 9:30 pm
Fri:9:30 am - 9:30 pm
Sat:9:30 am - 9:30 pm

Reviews and Complaints

T.J. MaxxDismal employee training, age discrimination

For decades I have shopped at TJMaxx. I am a 69 year old male whose life was devastated by Covid, Parkinson's Disease, and divorce. Along, homeless living with friends, and unemployed I struggled for a year to fine a job and a place to life. TJMaxx in Seekonk was hiring, I've always loved the jewelry and being from a jewelry manufacturing family I am very experienced at selling it so I applied and was hired. In a store with dozens of young females I am the only senior male, one of 4 men in total at the store.
My training on the register has be absolutely horrible. Nothing at all was organized or written down which make it impossible to study and review the dozens of complicated steps required to learn. I've had five different people training me with five different ways to do it. Everything is rushed, babbled through so quickly with convoluted explanations by people with no training ability who are totally insensitive to the progress of the trainee. They just want it to end, they're not paid for it.
I trusted TJMaxx to employ and train me for a job that I more that able to perform but because of inadequate procedure and sheer thoughtlessness I'm in this sink or swim situation with little to no help from my fellow employees. I'm abandoned.
I find the attitude at TJMaxx towards me to be intolerable. I took on that job with nothing but good intentions only to find out that I am a disposable old man, ostracized and ignored as I flounder through the worse, most incompetent, sporadic training situation I even had in my life. Anything spoken can be written down, isn't that true. Why isn't there a lesson plan for all the functions expected from your employees? Do you just get rid of the old men you hire and never train?
Your behavior is disgusting, TJMaxx. I'm a person, my life has value, it's time for TJMaxx to respect that. "Hopefully I'll get an answer soon" is that what you say? I expect an answer soon and won't stop till I get one.
Alan Sorrentino
[protected]

Comment Guidelines

1 Response
    • Li
      Linda Norris Oct 17, 2021

Sir: If you look in another way, TJ MAXX had their 2020 & 2021 SALES FIGURES devastated by COVID-19, as well. Referring to yourself in the manner that you did here, is pitiable. That being said, you have to understand that VERY FEW - USA based EMPLOYERS train, anyone these days. The world of work, is NOT how you remember it from your youth. Then, employees held some value, not much, but some. Now, most US employers expect their NEW employees, regardless of age to "HIT the floor, running!" They do not care that you were devastated by COvid-19, as you are not the only person, who was. While I agree with you and know first hand of the struggles of a new TJ MAXX employee, my relatives worked there (ages 17 - 58 yrs. old). All of them QUIT, in very short spans of time. The disrespect, the ultra low wages, the overall Managerial meanness, the long, long, long hours cleaning the stores. My 17 yr. old niece was told to clean the public toilets, and she quit that day! NOPE! she said, not hired to clean public toilets. Her Mother was asked to stay for store recovery, night after night until 1:00 a.m. She QUIT after (3) months. Until new employees speak up and tell the Store Managers what's what, in a nice way this horrible employee treatment will continue. Another relative was Fired for NOT raking enough new Credit Cards, that month. If you think a corporation as venal and grasping as TJ Maxx has become, then you have another thing coming. This is not the employer for you, Sir. Regardless of your age, your Covid 19 devastation, etc. Find something better than this snake pit. Retail Sales for almost any employer in the USA today, offers the very lowest wages, no benefits, super long hours and horrible, angry, unhappy Store Managers, who are honestly in the same boat as YOU!

ADVERTISIMENT