Universal Adcomcommunity guide magnets/relocation maps

In January 2010 I recieved a phone call from Universal AdCom. The rep that I was speaking to was wanting to verify our company information. I verified our company name, address and phone number. They then asked for my name and date of birth to verify they did speak with somone from our company about verifying our information. Then they began talking about a bill would be sent for $399.50. At that point I stopped the rep I was speaking with and explained that I only do secretarial work and would have to verify something like that with the owner first. The girl on the line said she would call back to see if our company owner wanted the ad space on the community guide magnets. No call. In March 2010 I recieved a call from a rep of Universal AdCom saying that the invoice for $399.50 was still unpaid. Confused I asked what she was talking about and she told me that I had authorized the order back in January for the community guide magnets. I told her that was wrong I never authorized the order and that someone was supposed to have called me back because I told them I had to ask the owner first. The woman told me that the magnets were already in prodution and she didnt think it could be canceled but she would check and call me back.

I then spoke with the owner and he told me that the company had called him the year before and billed him for relocation maps and community guide magnets that he did not order and he did not want to do any more business with them.

A few weeks later we recieved the 2010 community guides and invoice and I called the customer service line to complain. Here we were with another bill for $399.50 for a product we did NOT ask for. The CSR transfered me to a woman named Valarie Parker who said she was the head for the billing department. I explained to Valarie everything I have mentioned above. She then told me that I should not be giving my date of birth out because that was authorization to put us on the magnets and bill us. She also told me that I should have been adamatly calling the company back because their representatives are not allowed to make return calls to companies (which confused me since every one I had spoken to said they would call us back). Valarie then stayed on the phone with me for over 45 minutes arguing that I HAD authorized the order and we owed the money. I continued to try to explain that I told the first rep that called that I COULD NOT authorize the order without the owners permission and therefor I HAD NOT authorized the order. I began asking if the company recorded their calls, to which Valarie just kept telling me that "it might be on record". After I started to get a little pushy with her about it she then told me that the phone call was over 60 days old so it was not on record. She offered a one time reduced price payment to me of $249.50 or I could pay the entire amount in payments. I told her I would speak to the owner and call her back.

We the recieved a call from a lawer saying we were in collections for about $800 from Universal AdCom but he didnt know what for. I called and spoke with Valarie again. Turns out they had invoices for maps and magnets for us from the beginning of 2009 that we did not authorized. An invoice from June of 2009 for magnets we did not authorize, and then the most recent invoice from 2010 for magnets we did not authorize. A total of about $1600!!! Valarie began speaking with me about the invoices and I was still not making any progress with her. She kept saying that I told her I had authorized the most recent invoice! That was the whole reason I had called and spoken with her to begin with! I told her I was tired of going in circles with her when she wasnt listening to what I was saying and I wanted the number for the corporate office. She told me she was in the corporate office and thats why she was talking to me and kept on talking about these invoices... I asked again and again to speak to someone other than her because she was not helping me in any way. She kept on with the invoices. Finally I said I would just find the number myself somehow since she was REFUSING to answer me when I asked. She then said since I was only the secretary and not the owner, therefor I was not able to authorize orders, that she would write off the most recent invoice. THATS WHAT I HAD BEEN TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO HER THE ENTIRE TIME WHEN SHE KEPT ARGUING!!! Then she hung up on me.

At that time I got on the computer and started looking up complaints on this company and found more than I had thought I would! The BBB has rated them with an F and has over 90 complaints that are exactly like mine and about 200 other complaints on this company in the most recent reporting time cycle. What a ripoff of a company!