TruTech TVDoes not work!

B

I was so glad (& disappointed) to see all of the complaints on this web site. I thought I was the only one who purchased this "new" product from Target. I was glad that I wasn't but I was very disappointed that sooo many folks have had problems and there is nothing we can do except NOT purchase another one. I was simply looking for help on a universal remote, for a replacement and anything associated with Trutech. I ran into all of these complaints.

I made the mistake twice. I purchased a 27" Trutech TV with a DVD player and the first DVD player went out in a week. I returned it and thinking I had originally purchased a defective Trutech product, exchanged it for another one. I did have the receipt and was able to do the exchange within 7 days. The second DVD went out as well and the remote went out as well. This time, we couldn't find the receipt within the 90 days and are stuck.

Looking for a new universal remote has proven fruitless. I even asked Target to give me one from another TV and let them order one for the TV in the store. Of course, they said they couldn't do that. Call this number. This "800" number was converted to an International call that would cost 4.99 for the first minute. I didn't make the call.

I turned to the internet for help and information and I found you folks. I wish I had the time and energy to do more than write this complaint. I just hope someone who reads it decides on a different TV. I (like several folks) wish I had read these comments before purchasing a Trutech product.

I hope Target realizes these complaints exist and changes their way of dealing with cheap products. If anyone knows how to get these complaints to someone at Target, I'm sure something will happen. If someone knows how to get these to a reporter, I'm sure something will happen. In the meantime, good luck to all.

• Ph
    phillied Jul 07, 2014

Purchased 2 Trutech TVs both within a month of each other about 3 years ago. The first one lasted about a year and a half and the second just stopped working recently. Pieces of crap! Target should be ashamed.

• Mi
    Midwest Dude Mar 15, 2011

You people buy a no-name, made in China cheap TV then complain when it quits! And you really immature ones blame Target for your stupidity! You buy no-name junk, you get burned. If you can't afford to buy new name brand such as Sony or Samsung, then maybe you should buy used or do without. Sorry, I have no compassion for people who buy on price only.

• Kc
    KC from KC Mar 08, 2011

3/2011 Wow I wish that I could have read these issues before I bought a Trutech TV from Target. My TV is a 19" LCD HDTV and I bought it in 7/2009 and so far it work great until this weekend. The picture just went out, like a light bulb, but I still have sound but what fun is that. I've contacted the tech center, Proview, by phone and only got a recorded message saying to contact them by email. So I email and now I'm awating a reply. My TV is out of warranty, it had a one year, so lets see what happens. I will get back with the results and maybe I can provide some info. that may help out others, wish me luck.

lashleroux Mar 03, 2011

Bought a Trujunk a year ago at target. No more picture, just sound. DO NOT EVER PURCHASE one of these televisions

• Dr
    DRS14 Jul 17, 2010

Wish I would have taken the time to read these about a year ago when I purchased the 10" undercounter. Been having issues for the past 6 months and now the screen went totally blank. What a piece of s**t. Electronics are just not made the way they used to be.

• Ga
    GAB3ISME Feb 23, 2010

Purchased the TV in 2007. The DVD worked for a short period of time. Now when I turn the volume down on the tv the input changes to DVD which doesn't even work. I purchased the target extended service which is a joke. You can't take the TV back to target you have to call a number and request them to ship you a box so you can ship the TV out for repair. It took me almost a month to get the box. The piece of junk is now in service and we'll see what happens. Do yourself a favor and don't buy a TV from target. Their service plan is cheap for a reason, IT SUCKS. Spend a few more bucks and go to best buy.

• Pu
    purpledinosaurs Aug 10, 2009

my remote went out last night, and my dvd stopped working a long time ago! and, my tv changer on the tv only goes threw channels two threw 36.

• Ti
    Ticked off Jun 06, 2009

the TV/DVD combo works great, the remote sucks. I practically have to break my fingers trying to just change the channels. after reading all these reviews which weren't there when I purchased this thing over 1 year ago I realized I got screwed.

So my son basically uses it for his game systems as that's all it's good for. I can't afford anything else, but I'm going to try to pawn it off on someone else at my garage sale soon

• Ev
    Evon Mar 10, 2009

I ALSO PURCHASED A TRUTECH 19INCH LCD. WE RARELY USED IT. IT WAS IN OUR EXERCISE ROOM. THE PICTURE WAS FUZZY AND DARK. IF WE HAD 25-30 HOURS OF USAGE THAT WAS A LOT. IT''S UNFORTUNATE BECAUSE WE PURCHASED TWO TRUTECH 19 INCH DVD/COMBO UNITS BEFORE THIS ONE FAILED!

anne Nov 24, 2008

I bought the trutech tv/dvd combo and within a year the dvd stopped working too.. What is up with that? What they sell a tv that might work for a preriod of 6 months to a year. This is in deed an awful product.

Chris Nov 21, 2008

I recieved a Truetech as a Christmas gift for my bedroom. At first you could only change the channel with the remote, then channel up & down went and you had to press the numbers, then the 1 stopped working now the remote is completely dead. I have purchased several brands of universal remotes, non of them work. The tv is crap.

• Je
    Jesse Oct 25, 2008

Well, it's good to know i'm not the only one with the same problem. I bought 2 of these crapp tv's not even a yr. ago. One started buzzing then shut off, and the other DVD player won't read DVDS. On a rare occasion it will read one, but just goes back to the load menu in the middle of a brand spanking new DVD. Grant it that these tvs are sold at a cheap price, and you get what ya pay for. I just don;t believe people are getting money worth on this brand. They should come with a life expectancy printed on the tagg, see how many of us buy it then.

• Ro
    Ron Ritch Oct 25, 2008

Does anyone here live near Raleigh NC?

The US HQ of the company that imports these Chinese TVs is in Raleigh. They are:

Alco Electronics
    8392 Six Forks Rd.
    Raleigh NC 27615
    [email protected]
    [protected]

You might drop by their office or call them and vent a bit of your anger on being cheated.

Also issue a complaint on [redacted].COM and let the BBB in St Paul MN know about your problem. Target's HQ is in Minneapolis.

http:www.bbb.org

P.O. Box 9350
    Minneapolis MN 55440

• Ro
    Ron Ritch Oct 25, 2008

i was also a part of Target's scam and have decided to fight back as much as possible.

We are stronger if we decide to stick together and work for a solution. A starting point is communicating here and elsewhere. I've just filed a complaint with /link removed/ and with one of my local TV stations. File yours there too - it will help!

I'm also opening a Yahoo group where we can talk among ourselves. I may also open a new website.

The group is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TruTechTV

You can join the group by sending an email to [email protected]

Let's share our information.

• Ri
    Richard Kelly Oct 01, 2008

I purchased a TruTech TV, Model No. PVS 2119, 19" LCD TV + DVD, S/N R0060FD020957, from Target. I have lost the remote and have'nt been able to program other remotes. Can I get a remote for this TV.

lauren31885 Sep 28, 2008

I have a trutech TV. After 8 months my TV remote just randomly stopped working. I called a place called Ventuer [protected]) in Buffalo NY. I sent them a check because they didn't take visa or master card online or on the phone, which was strange. They cashed my check exactly one moth ago and I still have not received a new remote. Has Nayone else had this problem?

• Ru
    Rusty Sep 16, 2008

I just bought the Trutech 19" from Target two days ago. I wish I would have found this site prior to the purchase. I only came upon this because I was searching for a "code" I need to program my satellite to the TV, and the satellite co did not have one for Trutech. I am boxing it back up tonight and returning it. I don't want any of the headaches I have read about on here. Thanks for the warnings!

• Xt
    xtandt Sep 04, 2008

This is piece of junk... and craps place carry junk stuffs.

Jonathan Deming Aug 28, 2008

I bought the 19" combo tv/dvd last Christmas and everyone looks like a ghost with a long shadow on the "picture".
    I am disgusted and I don't know where to turn.
    Please help if anyone knows what the warranty is on these lemons.
    Include me when you contact Target about their sub/par product.
    They need to exchange these tv's, they are too new for this poor performance.
    JD

• Rh
    Rhonda Aug 26, 2008

I bought this piece of junk plus got the extended warrenty, unfortunely the warrenty will not correct whatever is wrong with this piece of junk tv. I have had it only 1 year. I bought it black friday 07

• Me
    Melinda Davis Jul 30, 2008

We purchased the 19" flat screen. One day it works and then stops showing the picture. I can get sound, but with no picture it's no good!!! That was a big investment for the average person and you would expect it to last more than a year. It was made in 2006 and from the complaints, it sounds like we have grounds for a recall. What can we do??????

lashel Barrett Jul 22, 2008

I want to put this in writing because my sisiter is not going to believe me on this one I have been staying with my sisters since feb2008her boyfrien bought her

her this trutech tv for christmas. of 2008. and first the remote stopped working now Icannot change te channel manualy it is stuck on one station and I cannot change it so I said let m check out and see has his appened to
    anyone before I am afraid to tell he because she will swear.that
    at I did it on purpose. What is a woman to do!!!

• Li
    Linda Lewin Jul 10, 2008

I'm so glad I looked at the Tru-Tech website before purchasing a TV of this brand. I was just about to go down to Target and get one since it seemed so cheap! But reading these comments warned me NOT to do this!

Thank you, thank you for posting these.

• Re
    rebecca Jul 07, 2008

My tru tech tv broke yesterday. The cable insurt on back of the tv snapped right off. I was in shock, got the tv 6 months ago. Nothing like this has ever happened with any of my other tv's.

• Bi
    BILL Jul 01, 2008

©copyright 2007. ALCO Electronics, Inc. All Rights Reserved. TRUTECH is a trademark of Target Brands, Inc. DURABRAND is a trademark of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. All rights reserved. ILO is a trademark of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Privacy Policy.

tru tech and alco are trademarks of target I have called them all tons of times to hear call this one call that one I am looking into this week starting a class action law suit to pay 700 dollars for a televison that I purchased 6 months ago is outrageous.anyone intrested in joining I will get the information very soon on how you can register for this class action law suit..

Chad Lyman Jun 17, 2008

I agree, i got the 32in for Christmas 2007. THE DAY AFTER my warranty the tv just Zoomed in. and started doing the white screen constantly when i went to change a channel, some channels DONT EVEN WORK FOR ME, so i thought it was comcast, i got the tech guy to my house. he told me "Its not your Box, it's your piece of **** tv"

and ive read some comments and everything they are saying is true. it happened to me, i Blame Target.

Sincerly, Chad Lyman

• Co
    Colleen P Kronman Jun 11, 2008

I bought a Trutech TV last November(06) to replace an old fashioned magnavox. Needless to say the remote started giving us problems and then the TV broke, no picture, just sound. My husband is ill and housebound, watches a lot of tv, I couldn't get a hold of customer service at all and all the repair shops around here do not fix this brand. Best Buy was wonderful! I bought a new LCD Magnavox with a 4year repair/replace plan and the young woman who helped said it would probably cost more to have the Trutech fixed than to buy a new name brand. Target is good for sanitary stuff, shampoo etc, but do not purchase any Trutech merchandise.

• Ta
    Tammy DuVall Jun 09, 2008

I Agree this tv is trash . I found out that the DVD went out after the 90 days and now we are stuck with it. DVD keeps saying wrong disk.

• Cy
    Cyndi Crownover May 17, 2008

I was foolish enough to buy this piece of junk! We bought the 32" LCD Flat screen for $800 and it didn't last over a year! I have Tvs that I bought 6 years ago that were way cheaper and are still running great.
    First it would go off for no reason then it got to the point where the power light would come on but we couldn't get the screen to come on GRRRR then when I took it back to Target they would not do anything to make it right! I will never ever shop at Target again and will make sure that everyone else I know will also stay away. This infuriates me more than anything! Trutech is junk and Target should do something about it.

• Ke
    Kerry May 14, 2008

Trutech is junk. We bought the flat panel 19"LCD for our kitchen. We have to plug and unplug to make it work. This trick finally stopped working. I am disgusted!

• Da
    DANIEL May 10, 2008

TRUTECH IS HORRIBLE BOUGHT THE 19" DVD COMBO BACK IN NOV AND TV IS ALREADY ACTING UP. TURN THE TV ON AND IT SHUTS OFF WITH IN 1MIN. TOTALLY DISGUSTED.

Marty Verhaeghe Apr 04, 2008

I also bought a TruTech TV last August, and no matter how we try to adjust it, the picture is so washed out, it is almost unwatchable. I contacted Target regarding this, and they are still carrying TruTech items in their inventory the electronics desk told me today. First there was the problem with sound (only half the channels had sound) and the picture was and is no good. I''m going to have to give it away, and buy another brand since it is too late to return this piece of junk.
    There should be a regulation against selling the public such defective products.

• Le
    leigh Mar 30, 2008

I also bought a TV/DVD combo at Target about 5 months ago--the DVD player has already stopped working! The DVD player does not rotate at all anymore. Very discouraging!

Charesea Mar 27, 2008

My son was given the 20" TV/DVD combo for Christmas 2007 and as of today the tv does not work properly. I'm scared to let him play his dvd movies for fear they will get messed up. It's makes a very loud weird noise when you try to play a movie. The tv works when it wants to, most of the time it has a black screen. Every once in a while the picture will come in. This is a very poorly manufactured television. I will never buy this brand ever in life.

• To
    Tom Hollowell Mar 25, 2008

Same problem, bought a 15" Trutech from Target and it quite after 6 months. With so many complaints Target should take some responsibility.

• Tr
    Travis Peterson Mar 23, 2008

Bought the 19"... its garbage!!! First the DVD player stoped working, and now my screen is black but the sound works. TruTech sucks.

• Li
    Lisa Mar 14, 2008

We bought the TV/DVD combo. The first one stopped working within 90 days, so we returned to Target and got another one. The DVD player on this one worked without problem for about 6 months, but has steadily gone downhill. Now we cannot get it to work at all. We have owned the TV less than one year.

I agree and support all the complaints. It is obviously a defective product line. Target should respond to this issue.

• In
    Informer Mar 03, 2008

Heads up, TruTech TVs are very similar (and probably made by) Westinghouse products. Westinghouse remote codes for similar TVs will almost always work on a TruTech TV.

• Ed
    Ed Baez Feb 23, 2008

Thank you for the heads up. I was about to purchase a hdtv/dvd/pc monitor with this name brand. After reading all these negative comments there is no way I could possibly throw away my hard earned money.

• Me
    Melissa Feb 19, 2008

I bought a 32 inch Trutech. Well, no tv shop can work on them and you have to buy a $75.00 box to return it to them and then maybe they can fix it. You have to have kept the book on the tv to even call them because they do not exist other wise. I think Target should stand by what they sell, We all came down on Walmart for having things from Chine, this is not different, people work hard for their money and a store should not supply to the public subpar items. I will not shop at target any longer for the fact that Trutech is their brand only available at Target. They should be held accountable. If any one knows of the proper procedure to file a better business bureau or complaint against Target or Trutech, please advise.

Melissa