The Work NumberInaccurate information and convoluted process to make any changes or fixes

S Jan 07, 2019

First off, avoid this "service" if you are able, either as an employee or as a verifier. The company I worked for demands that anyone needing employment verification must use The Work Number. I had a potential employer tell me that they could not verify employment for me due to the cost and error ridden process provided by The Work Number. I decided to create a login at www.theworknumber. com, and create a report of my own (that I am entitled to). After receiving the report I noticed numerous errors, including information that I worked for previous employers that I did not work for. It also shows that some company requested information, and received my employment data report without my knowledge. I find this appalling that this company can sell my information without my knowledge, or at least notifying me that my information was given out. The report also lists what employees can do to dispute the information which is erroneous. The report also mentions that you can request, in writing, that your information contained in the in your file not be provided to a third party for marketing purposes. This is amazing to me that you have to go through steps to protect your information like this. It also states that you have the right to place a security alert, or security freeze on the report. It mentions that you can either do this in writing, or by going to the work number website, or by calling a toll free number. I attempted to use the website to initiate the freeze, or just contact the company through the website. There is apparently no such way to do this from the website as the report mentions. There is nothing on the site that allows an employee to contact any representative of The Work Number directly (no chat or email contact). This is misleading in the report. So I called the toll free phone number, and after speaking to a representative, he told me that I needed to call a different department. This is the number specifically mentioned in the report to call though. The representative attempted to transfer me to the department, but I received a message that my call could not be completed as dialed. This is very shoddy and deceptive. I would advise anyone who works for a company who uses this "service" to avoid using it at all, even if they company requires it.