TaxmastersFraudulent Bunch of Crooks

TaxMasters Illegally withdrew $1, 500 “TWICE” from my account without my written authorization, and, , after I called them and cancelled their services within the Federal 3 day Right of rescission.

I DIDN'T SIGN MY NAME ON ANY DOCUMENTS FROM THEM. AND THEY DID NOT PROVIDE ANY SERVICES.

They even “Created” an official looking paper check, putting my name and info on it just like an bank check, filled in TaxMasters on the “Pay to the order of” Line, put a check number on each one of 8000 and 8010, and then in the signature space put in:

SIGNATURE NOT REQUIRED
Your depositor has authorized this payment to payee.
Payee to hold you harmless for payment of this document.
This document shall be deposited only to the credit of payee.

Have started a criminal complaint with Houston PD Financial Crimes Unit, another with the State of Texas Attorney General, the Houston Attorney General and am looking into federal charges because it crosses state lines. Will also making out a complaint with the BBB for what thats worth. TaxMasters already has a FFF Rating.

TaxMasters name should be changed to Rip-Off Masters, ForgeryMasters, CheckFraudMasters.

NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF CROOKS!!!
raginglou

• Ca
    Carolyn Dec 09, 2008

AVOID THIS COMPANY!! TaxMasters stole $7000 from my bank account. I signed a contract with this company in April of 2017. They screwed everything up right away. I had paid $1500 nothing had been done & no one had called as promised so I cancelled the service before money was deducted. They made more promises and sent me a "revised installment agreement". I told them that I wanted no deductions made, I would not sign the agreement until someone told me what my $1500 paid for and I wanted someone to explain exactly what I could expect...no one called and I didn't sign the agreement but they took the money out of my account anyway and told me that I would not be reimbursed because they had the "intention" of doing the work. They told me that they would use the original installment agreement (the one I cancelled) to verify they could take the payments. I wrote another cancellation and eventually had to freeze my bank account. They continued to try to make the deduction until I had to close my bank account to stop them from stealing my money.

The only person that contacted me, "my tax preparer", sent unprofessional e-mails with numerous errors and was almost argumentative when I tried to discuss my business deductions with her. I was not comfortable with an idiot handling my taxes and I was uncomfortable with the level of service I had received to that point. To date I have not even sent them the information that they would need to provide the service and they refuse to reimburse my money because of the "intention" they had to carry out the terms of the contract.

I am amazed. If I am unhappy with a service, I don't pay for it or I pay for what was done and that's it. Most service company's try to fix your problem to keep your business...TaxMasters simply keeps your money!

If there is anyone out there that has been able to accomplish anything with their situation, please let me know what you did. I contacted this company because I was finally getting into a decent financial situation and wanted to get rid of the tax situation. I am a single parent and $7000 is a lot of money to be out when you're just getting on your feet.

Thank you!

BenDonne Jan 14, 2009

I called Taxmasters to inquire about representation on my behalf to settle my taxes with the IRS. When I spoke to the rep. I told him that I just wanted to know what they can do for me and how much it will cost. All of the sudden another person gets on the phone and ask for my account information. Now I told the two reps that I didn't have money in my account and that I don't know when I will have it, they told me that they needed this infromation to get me started into their system and that they would not withdraw from my account until I signed with them. Wow! Four days later they withdrew $550.00 out of my account which gave me an overdraft, at this time I had no idea that they did this. So when I was writing checks for other things everything was causing overdraft and other bank fees. Once I found out I called Taxmasters and complained. Let's just say that I've been given the run around so much I feel like I'm the one looking for Bin Laden. Can some please let me know what I can do to join a class action lawsuit or how to attain an attorney in Illinois for this.

• Li
    linda hicks Jan 19, 2009

I CONTACTED THIS COMPANY FOR TAX INFORMATION AND THEY IMMEDIATELY "SIGNED ME UP". I WAS NEVER ADVISED OF A CONTRACT BEING ENROUTE AND ABOUT ONE WEEK LATER (12/22/08 I RECIEVED AN ACCEPTANCE LETTER INDICATING THAT THEY HAD ACCEPTED MY CASE. I DID NOT HEAR ANYTHING FURTHER SO I ASSUMED THAT THEY WERE WORKING ON MY CASE BECAUSE I HAD A JANUARY 15 DEADLINE. I BECAME CONCERNED AFTER NO FURTHER WORD FROM THEM SO I CALLED ON THE 2 JAN. 09 TO INQUIRE ABOUT THE DEADLINE FILING. I WAS ADVISED THAT THEY HAD SENT FOR THE IRS FILE AND REQUESTED AN EXTENSION IN ORDER TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE CASE. I STILL HAD NOT RECIEVED ANY FURTHER CORRESPONDENCE INCLUDING A CONTRACT~~ I TELEPHONED AGAIN BECAUSE I WAS BECOMING WORRDIED ABOUT THE DEADLINE AND WAS SUBSEQUENTLY ADVISED THAT THEY HAD NO CONTRACT WITH ME BECUAUSE I HAD NOT RETURNED THE SIGNED POWER OF ATTORNEY WHICH I NEVER RECIEVED. THEY SAID THEY WERE UNABLE TO BEGIN WORK BECAUSE OF THIS (ALTHOUGH THEY HAD CHARGED ME THE INITIAL 675 DOLLARS DOWN AND DEDUCTED ANOTHER 675 DOLLARS FOR THE MONTH OF JANUARY. THEY WERE UNABLE TO EMAIL THE DOCUMENTS THEY WANTED DUE TO A PROBLEM WITH THEIR EMAIL. MEANWHILE, THE IRS IS LEVYING MY SOCIAL SECURITY AND PENSION BECAUSE I DID NOT MEED THEIR DEADLINE. WHAT CAN I DO?

• Rw
    RWN Apr 20, 2009

TaxMasters electronically withdrew $2200 from my checking account with written authorization. I was initially going to move forward with them but after finding out that I would not be eligible for an "offer and compromise" because of assets I decided to move in a different directionl. I verbally told them that I was not moving forward and NEVER signed any contract.

I believe that my slumdog sales associate (Todd Wooten) totally mislead me. He explicitly said that the only assets that they will look at with regards to ability to pay is what is in your checking account. That is a all out blantant lie. They look at all liquid assets, stock, bonds, IRA etc.

After finding that out, I made the determination to not move forward and solicited anothe firm that told me the truth.

I suggest that we all band together and start a class action lawsuit against TaxMasters. I am sure that there are some Tort lawyers that would be salavating to take on our case.

Any takers?

BN

jan goebel Jun 24, 2009

Within 24 hours of negotiating with TAXMASTERS, we realized we would not be happy with their service. How did we come to this decision you ask? When they emailed us all the paperwork for a client in San Francisco. This paperwork included social security numbers and other pertinent confidential information. Big question was, "what are they going to do with ours or whose hands would it end up in?" I immediately went to my bank and filed a dispute for the $400 debit card transaction to get the ball rolling with them. I have to wait 10 business days to get it back (if that happens!) They had also emailed a contract with payment arrangements for us to sign and return. We never signed or returned the contract and voila! Friday they withdrew as an ACH from our checking account for $1300. My bank is going to get that back to us within 24 hours. But in the meantime, we are out of pocket and no direction to take to resolve the initial tax problem. My husband has been called Pat, Leo, Leon and in the two weeks today that we made the decision to contact them, we have had calls and emails from a total of 4 "reps", none of whom knows what is going on or will allow us to speak with a higher authority or at least someone who can make a decision. And then, when we respond to the most current email and "rep" we're put on the line with yet another person. Frustrated is putting it mildly. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE SCAM ARTISTS. Contact Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity on Fox News. They endorse these people. I think they might like to know what is going on. I'm going to. If enough of us bombard all entities involved, maybe we can get our money back and get them in jail where they belong

Denise177 Jul 01, 2009

I contacted Taxmasters for their IRS audit support services on June 18th 2017 via phone. They took down all of my information assuring me the audit would be handled as soon as we hung up the phone. They sent documents via email for me to review and a payment plan that I was to sign. I contacted them an hour after and told them that I wanted to wait on their services, they let me know that my card was already charged $1500.00. I became upset that they completed an unauthorized transaction without my consent I demanded a refund/stop to further services by taxmasters. They transferred me to a fraudulent phone line saying it was their billing department. I called back then they told me to send an email. I got no response. I called back and they gave me another fraudulent phone number to contact. I called back again to speak with the representative who handled my phone call. He told me to write another email. I finally get a hold of a lady from their billing department and she tells me that my letter of cancellation and request for refund has to be reviewed by her, then another person, then the head of the department, and then I would have to wait. I have called back various times and they transfer me around from personnel to personnel, never transferring me to the right person. When I finally get to speak with someone, they tell me to wait, I get no answers. I have yet to see a refund. Taxmasters did not provide me with any services at all, yet my card was charged on 6/22/09. I have complained everyday since sending emails, letters and voicemails- still no response. Taxmasters robbed me of $1500. They caused me severe debt. They did not contact the IRS at all. So now the IRS is collecting money I do not have, and Tax masters are still trying to get more money from my account. I am left with nothing. Everything I had is gone. I have contacted Texas board of accountancy, BBB, IRS, and Texas board of Treasury. I don't know what else to do.

• Ea
    EAL Jul 03, 2009

This is true about Taxmasters, they are crooks.
    I was about to enter into a written agreement with them, when they sent the agreement via email, they did not show that they were representing me with the state, so I asked them to make the correction...when they emailed it again, it only showed on the 2 page. I asked them to correct it and then one of the supervisors gets on the phone and tells me that they dont want to deal with problematic clients, at that point I told the person that was handling my information that I would think about it over night, but for them not to deduct any money from my financial institution, well, I immediately went on the computer for searching if there were any complaints and sure enough I found a bunch which made me change my mind. I figured that they would just take my money and not due anything with negotiating on my behalf. I immediately wrote my representative at Taxmasters asking him not to debit my account and to destroy my financial information as well as my personal.. A few days later they debited my account for $2200.00 - my understanding is that even if I had signed the agreement, I have three days to change my mind. These people did not have my power of attorney signed by me, they did not do any work for me and they refused to correct the writing on the agreement...they use a scare tactic and basically I want to pay what I need to pay uncle sam, but wanted some assistance as to the removal of the penalties, due a a compelling reason that I have for not filing on time.

I have called, written and even emailed copies of my emails and emailed Mr. Patric Cox directly and he has still the deduction of my bank and I have not received an email from anyone at the firm. Today 7/2/09, I filed a complaint report with the attorney general of my state. - Does anyone know if we can file a class action law suit for punitive damages, stress, this has added more stress to my already depressed life.

California resident very stressed by Taxmasters unethical business practice

• Fr
    FreedomFighter Jul 05, 2009

EAL...
    File, via telephone, an immediate dispute with your credit card (bank), or with the bank where your checking account is, if TaxMasters stole the money from your checking account. Dispute it as FRAUD. Write up a complete accounting of each discussion you have had with the crooks in a statement. Use the statement to dispute the charges through your bank, once they send you the forms you will need to fill out. I would cease verbal commuications with TaxMasters immediately, and send them a notice revoking power of attorney, and also informing them to cease any and all activity on your case. File a dispute with the BBB, to document yet another TaxMasters incident. File also with the Texas State Attorney General, the Harris County DA, and the US Department of Treasury.

Your bank has the right to reverse the charges, especially if you used a credit card. TaxBastards has agreed to the Merchant Bank Dispute process, which gives your bank the right to review and reverse the charges. My bank reviewed my complaint, and reversed the charges permanently within just a couple days of having the complaint in their hands. The whole thing took me two weeks of intensive effort to correct, but I did get it corrected. Me = 1; fat man = 0.

Good luck. Keep fighting. Don't let the fat man win!

• Mi
    Mike in NJ Jul 28, 2009

same here, my bank reversed my CC chagres that taxbastards illegal charged my card.

then, a 2nd time they illegally charged my card, and the 2nd time I had the charge removed. Then I took it one step further, I closed that CC acct. and opened up a new one...

Me=2 fatman=0

• Fr
    FreedomFighter Jul 31, 2009

Mike in NJ -
    Right on! I just love it when the fat man loses. The sonner people realize that the MERCHANT BANKS have the authority to correct the frauds, the better. Spread the word!

• Mr
    mrsing Aug 08, 2009

These guys are the biggest parasites on the planet! After paying them $5500, they completely failed to deliver on any of their promises. Every person you talk to tells a slightly different story and the bottom line is they are ripoff artists and bottom feeders of the highest order. You are better off dealing with the IRS yourself than with Taxmasters.
    I don't see how half the stuff in their service contract is even legal and why they haven't been shut down. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES - NO MATTER HOW DESPERATE YOU ARE SHOULD YOU GIVE THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY ANY OF YOUR MONEY!!!

• zoloftn151 Aug 08, 2009

Would be nice if you would elaborate on exactly what they did not accomplish for you.

• Go
    gotcha taxthief Aug 19, 2009

anyone having problems with taxmasters stealing from them get online to www.IC3.gov we can stop them if we join together but one at a time our complaints aren't enough for the F.B.I. but together they are. GET ONLINE NOW!

• Bi
    BillMSTI Oct 29, 2009

Needed help with my IRS issues and called them. Spoke to an Alex Rodriquez who was a very good salesman. He stated he could help and said he would send over contract paperwork and a payment plan that I would need to sign and fax back. He stated he would need a $550.00 payment up front in order to "start the ball rolling". I gace him my card# and the charge went on my card.

I then began to get a bad feeling upon reciept and perusal of the paperwork he sent over. I called him back and told him I wanted to cancel. After a brief chat, we hung up and I sent over a fax and e-mail to a Tiffany Campbell to forward to the QA dept who is supposed to review request for refunds. I stated clearly that I wished to cancel and would deal with the IRS on my own. Since it was only one day later and no work could possibly have been done, this seemed a realistic request.

I have received no followup or refund as yet. This after I cancelled the day after the initial contact and sent no paperwork or other authorizations back. I also cancelled the card I used.

I will continue to follw up and update this posting.

Ben Scammed Oct 29, 2009

The Bottom line... Taken from Tax Masters help wanted add.

Sales people search years to find an inside sales job as sweet as this. The leads come to you qualified and ready to bite. All you have to do is what you were born to do. Take the caller through a custom solution based on Tax Masters sound and proven service offerings and convert qualified prospects to closed deals.

Ben Scammed Oct 29, 2009

Tax Masters seems to be creating a lot of victims named Ben... Ben Donne, Ben Dover, etc.

-Ben Scammed

Ben Scammed Oct 29, 2009

There are other avenues of action as well, Contact me at ahyesiam (at) gmail (dot) com for more info.

- Ben Scammed

• Js
    jsue Dec 21, 2009

I called taxmasters to check on their claims of being able to help you with tax problems. They very quickly make sure they get a credit card from you and start charging fees on it. They then sent me some papers to sign and return by e-mail. I did not sign them and informed them I did not want their services. This was all on the same day. I have received a letter from them that I am still responsible for $4500.00 in fees. They did nothing for me. They operate one of the biggest scams in the country. I have filed a complaint with the
    Texas Attorney General. There needs to be a lawsuit filed against them. I am 67 years old and do not have money to throw away like this.

Jack Vines Jan 09, 2010

I am another victim of Taxmasters. I contracted with them to deal with the IRS on my back taxes. I paid over $5500.00 as a retainer. It has been 7 months now and they have done absolutely nothing to solve my problem. The only thing that did was send me an IRS form that is available on line and a request for all my personal information. I sent them all my finical information including three months bank statements. On two occasions when I called to follow up they indicated that they never received any information from me. I re sent both via fax and email and I have fax confirmation that the material was received. I finally got hold over the “negotiator “ Patrick Whaley and indicated that he had just received the files however the information was dated and I needed to now resubmit current information. I did that and now I can’t get in touch with anyone and I am out $5500 and still have a serious problem with the IRS. I mad as hell I want to do something about this fraud. It is time we as Americans stand against people like this. I can be reached at [email protected]

• Je
    JennieWardMoore Jan 20, 2010

Did you get your tax issues solved?

• Le
    Leslie Feb 17, 2010

I fell for their adds heard on O'Reilly's TV and radio shows. I had a few years of unfiled returns and learned an IRS Revenue Officer was trying to get in contact with me. Needless to say, I became quite fearful. So, what did I do-I contacted TaxMasters to help me.

When I called them on 10/26/09, I spoke with a tax consultant who advised me not to contact the IRS officer and told me he would email me their Engagement Agreement and power of attorney forms to sign and send back so that they could contact the IRS on my behalf. After signing and emailing the forms back, they immediately debited my bank account for $1, 920 as the down payment toward a total bill of $5, 750.00. This amount seemed quite high but I signed the agreement out of desperation-thinking they were going to help me.

A little over a week later I received a letter, along with some forms to fill out, from TM. The letter was dated 11/03/09. One of the enclosed form was a 433a packet with instructions to, "...[P]lease fill it out and return it to our offices on or after 1/22/2017. The other forms were for information for the unfiled tax return years, a supplemental agreement for two additional tax years and an invoice for another $400.00 to prepare the returns.

While in the process of filling out the forms, I received a letter dated 10/29/09 from the IRS on 11/10/09. The letter stated that unless I pay the amount owed, make alternative arrangements to pay, or provide additional information within 30 days from the date of the letter, further collection will be taken.

Upon receipt of the letter, I called the TM consultant, left a voice-mail message, and then emailed a copy of the letter to him. I presumed the letter was passed along to the right person and that my interests were protected. That was not the case because on 11/25/09 I learned that a commission check I was expecting, from the agency I work through, had been levyed bythe IRS. I immediately called TM and left several voice mail messages and got an email response on 11/30/09 indicating they would have someone from operations call me that day.

I finally spoke with one of their attorneys, Tyler Deck, on 12/02/09, who said unless I become compliant by filing all unfiled returns, he could not get the levy removed. I asked him if he had spoken with the revenue officer to which he replied he hadn't. I told him I had prepared all of the returns and would file them, which I did on 12/07/09 at the local IRS office. I dropped off copies of the filed returns to TM on 12/08/09.

I made numerous follow up phone calls to Mr. Deck only to leave unreturned voice mail messages. When I finally spoke with Mr. Deck, he said he would call the IRS to let them know I filed the returns. Then on 12/10/09 another commission check was levied. Again, I tried to contact Mr. Deck leaving numerous messages for him to call. Finally, I learned he was out of the office until after the holidays. I was able to contact another person in operations, on 12/28/09, who had me sign more power of attorney forms so he could talk to the IRS.

After signing and returning the forms, I did not hear from anyone at TM. So, on 01/06/10 I contacted the IRS revenue officer who told me the file had been transferred to the local office. He also told me the only contact he had with TM was a voice-mail message from Mr. Deck, whom he called back and left a message. The revenue officertold me the only reason the levy was filed was due to no response to his 10/29/09 letter. He suggested I go to the local IRS office to see if my case has been assigned. I did this on 01/14/10 and spoke with a revenue officer who was very helpful in assisting me with developing a plan of action to resolve my tax debt. Actually, I learned more in 20 minutes with the IRS than I did in 3 months with TM.

So, on 1/26/10 I delivered a termination letter to the TM office and spoke with a supervising consultant, Mr. McCallister (who by the way offered me a job as one of their consultants). I explained the issues I had and he intimated there have been similar problems with Mr. Deck. In my letter I cited the reason for terminating their services was for lack of performance and was also requesting reimbursement of the some $3, 100 ($1, 200 of which was for tax return preparation) I paid in fees. He said he would pass my letter along and I would be hearing from a Jeff Welch. When I did not hear from Mr. Welch, I called him several times, leaving voice mail messages that were never responded to. So, I paid another visit to TM on 2/01/10 and met with Dewayne Logan, their Quality Assurance Director. Hetold me they were investigating the matter and would let me know the outcome in the next several days.

After not hearing from anyone at TM after leaving messages for Logan and Welch, I again went to TM on 2/05/10. I met with Jeff Welch, a man very small in stature, who listened to my quick summary of my concerns and then proceeded to tell they will not be refunding any of the fees they collected from me and that I should leave. I pointed out the agreement I signed stipulates, "If Client has paid more than the minimum fee...a refund will be paid." I asked him what is the minimum then. He again stated he doesn't care what the agreement says, I was not getting any of my money back. I requested to speak to the office manager and was told that was not going to happen. I then calmly insisted I be allowed to speak with the manager. Mr. Welch got up and left the room, I thought to get the manager. (Here's where it gets really interesting) He returned in about five minutes with a policeman to have me escorted from the building.

So, it is quite apparent to me from everything I've read about TaxMasters and my personal experience, they are nothing more than a "mill" that preys upon those of us needing help with tax problems. I've been in their office which has an entire floor of the building filled with tax consultants, who are nothing more than trained salespeople. They take your money and essentially ignore you until you reach a point where you become so frustrated you either terminate the agreement and go to a legitimate tax professional or try to take care of the problem yourself. In my case, I had already prepared my returns, but was still charged a fee by TM to prepare the returns. I also learned that in most casesthe IRS is willing to work with a taxpayer to resolve any tax issues.

I will do whatever I can to see that this doesn't happen to others. I have started the process of filing complaints with every government agency that may have jurisdiction over TaxMasters unscrupulous practices.

johnnyBgoode Feb 26, 2010

I called taxmasters and talked to them. They pushed me to put a charge on my credit card, 24 hrs later i called to cancel the order and they are refusing to retun my credit card payment. I sent letters cancelling my services by email .phone and letter to their office. Now i`m stuck fighting with taxmasters and credit card company over charges for services that have not started or not recived and they have no information from me to carry out the services they are attempting to charge me for. I was stressed before today. This took it up 10 notches. Any company that refuses to return your payment within 24 hours of order is definatly NOT TRUSTWORTHY PEOPLE. Customer service people hanging up on me when i call and tell them i don`t want their services .

txbstrds Mar 15, 2010

Apparently there is a US Treasury investigation into TaxMasters.
    ---
    US Treasury Department
    Attention: Agent Farwell
    1919 Smith Street
    Suite 2270
    Houston, TX 77002

----

And a potential class-action suit:

Pam Mitchell
    [protected]

Additionally:

If you've been a victim of TaxMasters, below is a good starting list of everyone you should send a letter to, detailing your experience. Signed and mailed letters are often still taken more seriously than an emailed or faxed one. You should also include any/all supporting documentation/evidence.

This really is needed. The sooner these agencies receive more complaints about this company, the more they will investigate.

1. Your state's Attorney General
    2. All of your state's Senators and Representatives (Federal and State)
    3. All of the following:

Houston, TX 77251

Ben Scammed Mar 17, 2010

• Ld
    LD Chism Apr 20, 2010

After TaxMasters received all the documtents they reqeusted (which I had to FAX twice) I had to do all the follow up to TaxMasters as to the status on my account. I sent documents April 16, 2017 and again May 4, 2017. I heard nothing from TaxMasters until I contacted them Sept. 9, 2017 and 9 more times through Nov. 2017. The analyist assigned to my account was changed twice. When they were ready to submit an offer and compromise, the analyist asked me what I wanted to offer. I thought that was their job. I finally get a letter, Mar 12, 2017 from IRS that they will not accept my offer because I have assets enough to pay the tax liability. My complaint is "Why didn't TaxMasters review my documentation right away and advise me that IRS has these guidelines in place". I would have arranged payments with the IRS upon learning that information. They advertise to be experts in this field and their employees are prior IRS employees.

I paid $5500 in three instalments, waited over a year to find out my tax liability is not negotiable. I've contacted them for a refund, but they refused. Their contract (page4) states "Firm will analyze financial data submitted". "Firm will recommend to Client what Firm believes in its professional judment to be the best alternative for Client of the various IRS programs". On page 7, TaxMasters contract states "Firm may, at its sole disscretin, refnd the amount of the stated retainer".

• Ce
    CESJP Apr 21, 2010

TaxMasters (TM) is a total scam and needs to be held accountable. If we can get enough people to respond I believe we have a good class action case against them. Each one of these TM stories are very similar and I believe it is TM's sole practice to scam people and not to assist them with their tax issues. It is pretty evident with respect to all of these complaints.

Joe Mastriano CPA Apr 27, 2010

This industry is filled with too many complaints against representatives. For years I've been telling people to hire a professionally licensed CPA or law firm. Having over 25 years of experience in dealing with the IRS and solving people's tax problems, I'm saddened to see that there are so many people that are falling prey to the many scams and unethical practices going around in this business. The best advice I can give to anyone that is having tax problems is to do your research before taking action. First you need to understand your tax problem and what your options are, then, if you decide to hire a professional or a firm to solve your problem, you do some background checks on them before you hire them; regardless of who recommended them to you, or where you've heard from them, you should always check them out.

To anyone having tax problems, I recommend they visit www.TaxProblem.org and read up on all the advice available there, it will help you better understand the depth of the situation you are in, and point out what the available options are. You should also check out the section about selecting tax advisors/representatives/firms which details a couple of good things you should do before hiring someone in order to protect yourself from scams.

• Maxine Ferris May 03, 2010

I don't want to belabor the awful service I received from this company. All of these complaints listed here are REAL. I am a victim. Additionally, the collateral damage continues as I just received my final statement on back taxes we finally paid off. Because Tax Masters failed to do their job or even to give us good advice on how to negotiate, I paid an additional $3, 337 because the taxing authority, once they begin collections on you, charge you 20% in additional penalties on the unpaid balance. I thought I was finally going to just forget Tax Masters, but instead I am reminded of their negligence in regard to my account and now in addition to the $7, 000 I had to pay them up front, they are now costing me this additional penalty. In fact the total penalties and interest came to a whopping $6, 958. All I had to do was call the taxing authority and set up a payment plan and I would have avoided much of these penalties.

Please do not be misled by their advertisements. Check the BBB. They believe it or not, score an F. I have never seen that before in a publicly traded company. The regulatory agencies for tax relief companies must not be doing their job. I don't understand why they are still doing business. I don't stand to gain anything from this complaint. I only hope that you, my brothers and sisters, can be saved from the horrible experience I have endured. Please do your homework. Better yet... find a tax relief company that really has GREAT credentials. I believe there are some out there. Unfortunately, I only have Tax Masters experience.

• Co
    consumerattorney May 21, 2010

There is a law firm that focuses on issues with this specific company. More information can be found at www.taxmastersclassaction.com.

• Co
    consumerattorney May 21, 2010

There is a law firm focusing on the issues consumers have been having with this organization.

For more information visit: www.taxmastersclassaction.com.

txbstrds Jun 04, 2010

Well it finally happened -- government action against TaxMasters:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    May 13, 2017
    www.texasattorneygeneral.gov CONTACT
    Press Office at
    [protected]

Houston-based "Tax Resolution" Firm Charged With Unlawful Conduct, Misleading Customers

Texas Attorney General files enforcement action against TaxMasters, Inc.; cites nearly 1, 000 complaints about defendants’ conduct and business practices

HOUSTON – Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott today charged Houston-based TaxMasters, Inc., and its chief executive officer, Patrick Cox, with multiple violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act and Texas Debt Collection Act.

According to the state’s enforcement action, the defendants unlawfully misled customers about their service contract terms, failed to disclose its no-refunds policy, and falsely claimed that the firm’s employees would immediately begin work on a case – despite the fact that TaxMasters did not actually start to work on a case until its customers paid in full for services, even if that delayed response meant taxpayers missed significant IRS deadlines.

“In the midst of a national economic downturn, TaxMasters used a nationwide marketing campaign to offer services for distressed taxpayers who needed help dealing with the IRS, ” Attorney General Abbott said. “A state investigation and nearly 1, 000 customer complaints indicate that the defendants routinely misled customers about the nature of their tax resolution service agreements – and worse, attempted to enforce those improper agreements through unlawful debt collection tactics. The state’s enforcement action seeks to prohibit the defendants from continuing to violate the law and seeks restitution for the financially struggling taxpayers who were harmed by the defendants’ unlawful conduct.”

The defendants advertise a tax resolution service for federal taxpayers who have received notice from the IRS of an audit, garnishment, lien, levy or tax deficiency. Citing a self-styled “national advertising campaign” and high-profile “endorsements, ” TaxMasters purports to have “one of the most effective tax relief teams in the tax representation business.” However, a state investigation – and nearly 1, 000 complaints submitted to the Office of the Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau of Houston – indicate that the defendants have unlawfully misled their customers and failed to disclose material facts about their service agreements.

TaxMasters’ advertisements encourage taxpayers to call its toll-free number for a “free consultation” with a “tax consultant.” Court documents filed by the state indicate that callers are not connected to an employee qualified to give tax advice, but rather with a TaxMasters salesperson who recommends a “solution” for between $1, 500 and $9, 000 or more.

According to court documents, many callers were offered an installment plan so that they could pay the defendants’ fee over a specified period of time. However, callers who asked to see written terms and conditions prior to making a payment were informed that a credit card or bank account number is necessary to generate a written TaxMasters service contract. As a result, TaxMasters customers were unaware – and the defendants’ personnel did not have a practice of disclosing – multiple aspects of the TaxMasters service agreement that were harmful to taxpayers.

For example, the defendants did not disclose that all customer payments submitted to TaxMasters are non-refundable. Because customers were not provided written contracts and sales personnel did not reveal the no-refunds policy, customers did not know that they would not be able to recover any installment payments they submitted to TaxMasters – even if they ultimately decide to cancel before TaxMasters actually did any work on their tax case.

The state’s enforcement action also cites TaxMasters for failing to reveal that it would not begin work on a case until all installment payments had been remitted and the entire fee was paid. Multiple complaints indicate that customers entered into an installment agreement with the understanding that TaxMasters would immediately begin work on their case – only to discover later that no action was taken. Customers often learned that there was a problem when they received a notice from the IRS indicating that an important deadline had been missed or that additional fees and penalties had accrued.

Court documents filed by the state also indicate that the defendants failed to disclose TaxMasters’ requirement that customers pay the entire service fee – even if they opt to cancel their contract. Because customers are not provided a written contract, they were not properly informed that agreeing to make a single payment over the telephone obligated them to pay the entire fee quoted by sales personnel. Further, not only did TaxMasters attempt to obligate its customers to a fee in the absence of a signed contract, the defendants used unlawful debt collection tactics to enforce the unauthorized obligation.

According to the state’s enforcement action, the defendants not only failed to disclose material terms and conditions governing its services, but also failed to properly provide the “tax resolution” services that were advertised. Customer complaints obtained by the Attorney General’s Office cite TaxMasters for failing to contact and consult with the IRS on the client’s behalf; failing to appear on the client’s behalf at an IRS audit or hearing; failing to postpone or stop a wage or bank account garnishment; and failing to stop a levy or lien against a client’s property.

When customers who were unhappy with the defendants’ services sought refunds, TaxMasters refused to return the customers’ money. Court documents indicate TaxMasters not only refused to honor refund requests, it also pursued debt collection efforts against clients who cancelled their contracts. The state’s enforcement action charges TaxMasters with unlawfully threatening to pursue customers in Harris County courts, even if those customers did not reside in the county. Under Texas law, entities seeking to enforce a consumer contract can only do so in a county where the agreement was executed or where the consumer resides.

The state's enforcement action is seeking restitution for each TaxMasters customer who was financially harmed by the defendants’ unlawful conduct. In addition, the state is seeking civil penalties of up to $20, 000 for each violation of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

• Sd
    S Davidson Jul 06, 2010

Here is my letter of complaint to Tax Masters:

Dear Management,

We recently passed the one year mark since I first contacted your company and enlisted your services to help us complete some back years tax preparation.

On November 10, 2017 I emailed & sent a hard copy to TaxMasters of,
    1. A signed description of services agreement.
    2. A signed Installment Agreement.
    3. A signed IRS Form 8821 – Tax Information Authorization
    4. A signed IRS Form 2848 – Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative
    5. In addition, I made an initial $2, 000 electronic payment to retain your services.

This was followed by 3 payments of $1, 275 on 12/1/08, 1/1/09, and 2/2/09 and a final payment of $875 on 3/2/09 which made a total of $6, 700. The installment agreement you originally sent to me was to have a final payment of $1, 275 for a total of $7, 100, but when I sent the signed installment agreement I instructed you to make the final payment $400 less since I had found my 2017 return which was listed at a fee of $400.

Due to a job change and move I made late in 2017, it took me until late January to search my boxes and storage container to find all the back documents. On 1/23/09 I received a letter from Kim Parker telling me that you did not have some of the required forms to begin. On 1/30/09 I was able to reach Ms. Parker to tell her that I would be sending the tax related documents within the next couple of days, she told me that you also needed a new Form 8821 & Form 2848. Those were resigned, scanned and e-mailed on 1/30/09.

On 2/2/09 that I was able to finish scanning all of the pertinent documents related to my 2017, 2017 and 2017 Federal & State tax liability and e-mail them to you. I received an automatic e-mail verifying that your company had opened the e-mail with each year’s documents.

When I had not heard anything for a month, I began attempting to contact you by phone. I called 6 times over the course of the next 2 months. Each time, I was instructed to wait on hold by your automated answering system. Each time I waited for approximately 20 minutes only to have the automated system come back to tell me that the party I was trying to reach was not available and to call back. After this final instruction the call was automatically terminated. I am a school teacher with a very limited time (one 40 minute period) during the business day in which I am able to get free to call. This daily freedom is limited to about once a week. My teaching day runs from 6:00am-5:15pm Monday through Friday. During this same time I continued to e-mail my consultant with no response.

The next time I had any contact with TaxMasters was an unsigned letter dated June 6, 2017 stating that I owed the IRS $17, 365.47 for the year 2017, but that you were still working on [protected]. Obviously, no one paid any attention to my January 2017 note informing you that the 2017 was complete and that you had received a copy of the return. In addition to the letter, there was a Supplemental Agreement asking for $200 for preparing a Federal 2017 return and an additional $3, 000 for a Revenue Officer.

Since school had just ended for the year I persistently called until I finally got through to a live person (no easy task with TaxMasters). It progressively appeared to me that I might have been scammed by a fly-by-night television advertisement. I spoke with Ms. Parker and expressed my frustration with being able to reach TaxMasters by phone. She listened carefully to my frustrations. She then put me through to a supervisor, Toni Gillis. Ms. Gillis assured me that TaxMasters had been working hard to correct many aspects of your procedures.

I was told that one of the reasons nothing more had been done was my failure to pay the entire $7, 100 on the original installment agreement. Attached is a copy of the notes I made on the installment agreement I send in. Obviously, since the drafts were done per my instructions someone hard to of read it, BUT did nothing to note that when the $6, 700 in auto-drafts was completed that the account should be considered “PAID IN FULL”.

I received a call from another supervisor, apparently higher than Ms. Gillis, but for some reason I cannot find her name in my records. Both gave me their “direct” lines. I informed her that frustration had me ready to seek another source for helping me complete these tax issues. I was told to call back the next day to inform her if I wanted to request a form to request that the money I had paid to TaxMasters be returned. I thought about it over night and decided to seek a more accessible and responsive company. I was told what hours she would be available the next day and I called during those hours and “guess what?” Your right, I was met with the automated system.

During the summer, I secured an accounting firm who accomplished everything within 2 weeks.

They recommended that I write this explanatory letter requesting a refund of the money I paid to TaxMasters before considering any other means. So, it is my hope that this letter will be met with a prompt and reasonable response. Assuming that some work WAS done on the 2017 return, though not complete, it would seem reasonable to me that no more than $200 be deducted from the total amount of $6, 700 which was paid automatically and in a timely manner.

It is my sincerest of hopes that you will act on this request with the promptest of responses.

RESPONSE from E. Dewayne Logan, Quality Assurance Vice President

"After reviewing your file, it has been determined that you are NOT eligible for a refund. You engaged TaxMasters in a binding contract to perform services on your behalf with the IRS and Tax masters has also divulged proprietary information to you as a client in regards to how we plan to handle your specific situation.

TaxMasters stands ready and willing to complete the services you asked us to do. the Quality Assurance team would like you to reconsider and come back on board with us. We are dedicated to making sure you are treated fairly and provided with quality and consistent service. We will monitor your file to make sure that all serivces purchased are completed efficiently and in a timely manner.

Sincerely,
    E. Dewayne Logan"

OBVIOUSLY THIS IS A FORM LETTER THEY HAVE HAD TO SEND OUT REPEATEDLY. NONE OF MR. LOGANS REMARKS EVEN REMOTELY ADDRESSED MY SPECIFIC PROBLEMS.

txbstrds Jul 09, 2010

Two federal lawsuits have been filed against TaxMasters and Patrick Cox personally:

Wells et al v. TaxMasters, Inc et al, filed 7/2/2017 regarding Fair Labor Standards

Antkowiak v. Taxmasters et al, filed 7/7/2017 regarding Fair Debt Collection

• Gw
    G Weiss Aug 20, 2010

This compay is PURE FRAUDELENT!
    A very well-spoken salesman sold me their services for $5050. After revceiveing their money my case was assigned to an ill-spoken respresentative who did NOTHING for me. I was strung along and told items would arrive in both email and USPS, none of which ever came. I was told they would stop wage garnishments which never happened. When phoning both the state and the feds to do the work myself, I was informed that Taxmasters had never contacted them on my behalf as promised.
    Taxmasters won't return calls or emails.
    ****TAXMASTERS IS FRAUDULENT***
    Consumers Beware!!!
    See Texas State Attorney General's Response to this company at http://www.oag.state.tx.us/media/videos/play.php?image=051310taxnewers&id=390

• Mi
    Mike in NJ Oct 26, 2010

way to go !!

Lets put the Fatman in the can !!

txbstrds Oct 28, 2010

There are now 5 federal suits, for varying reasons. Most involve several parties.

Decker Dec 15, 2010

Entered into agreement with Taxmasters for described services based on representations given during initial contact. Payment for prescribed services submitted in full. Subsequent interactions with Taxmaster associates led to my exercising the termination clause as described in contract. Termination clause describes refund eligibility for those services not rendered, either partial or full. Numerous requests were made for complete and accurate invoice showing work performed by email, phone and certified mail. No response was received for any request sent to Taxmasters. Filed complaints with the Texas BBB and the Texas Board of Public Accountancy, specifically against Patrick Cox. Additionally, I am seeking to file Small Claims case in Harris County against Taxmasters for $4200.00.
    Taxmasters and key individuals responsible for complaint reconciliation have remained unwilling to engage in conflict resolution and continue to ignore client's rights clauses in the contract.

Decker Dec 15, 2010

Thanks for the link to the AG statement. There is hope those who have been taken for a ride by Taxmasters.

Decker Dec 15, 2010

I got the same letter! Logan and Cox are both criminals and I am pleased to see the AG of Texas has filed a lawsuit against the company.

txbstrds Mar 18, 2011

The PA class action suit has made it around the arbitration clause in the contract. TaxMasters filed a motion to compel arbitration, which was denied on 3/17/11.