Starlite RagsRagdoll cat with primary epilepsy

J Oct 21, 2020

Hi everyone, please think carefully before you adopt a lovely ragdoll from this cattery. She might have PRIMARY EPILEPSY!!! Me and my boyfriend adopted Misty, a lovely chocolate bicolor ragdoll girl, from Starliterags last November and everything was fine until Misty turned to 1 year old. On July 22, Misty had her first sudden seizure and it caused her to fell from the cat tree. We took her to the vet immediately and done full sets of blood tests, biochemical tests and MRI to check her brain. In the meantime, Misty had more seizures and the vet suggested her to be hospitalized. After reading the MRI results, the doctor suggests that Misty has a great possibility of Primary Epilepsy which is hereditary, and she has brain herniation caused by congenital skull hypoplasia. We feel so bad because we love Misty so much and this result means that Misty will be using drugs in her whole life to control the sudden seizures. Every time she had a sudden seizure will cause damage in her nervous system and her brain, even threaten her life. We also spend thousands of dollars on Misty's diagnosis, treatment and everything. When I ask the owner of the cattery about the reason and possibility of this disease, she don't think her cattery has anything to do with this hereditary disease and falling from the cat tree caused Misty's epilepsy. We could not accept this reply because we have all the MRI results shows there is no brain damage after falling. After some research on Primary Epilepsy, we know that this is a congenital disease and cats can have their first seizure from 1-year-old to 5-years-old. After the first seizure, the cats need to take medicine for the whole life to decrease the frequency of the seizure happens and need to maintain very low environment irritation. Since it's genetic disease, please DO NOT ADOPT cats from Starliterags!! Please think carefully and avoid any risk to adopt a cat with primary epilepsy!!

• Updated by Junyi Wang · Nov 05, 2020

Everyone who wants to adopt cat from this cattery please read this carefully and you can decide by yourself. The owner of this cattery has really bad attitude and never wants to solve problem. We tried to email her and she did not respond for several weeks until we wrote this complaint board. She even threatened us to delete this complaint.

• Ca
    CatnipSquirrel Nov 21, 2020

I am so sorry that you are going thru this with your beautiful cat. I appreciate you taking the time to share your story. I had hesitations about this breeder and your experiences helped confirm my hunches. I discovered before purchasing a kitten that she is extremely rude if you dare question her about anything. I wish the best for you and your Misty.

• Ju
    Junyi Wang Nov 22, 2020

@CatnipSquirrel Thank you so much. I'm so glad this could help you! Hope you can find your lovely kitten pretty soon~