Smart Savings Center.comCharged my account w/o authorization

C

Company charged my visa account w/o authorization. Unknown company to me, I don't know who they are.

• Ko
    kokokoko Feb 14, 2012

It happend to me!!! I just called them that i wanna my 19.95 back and asked when the money will be back on my credit card. he said in 2 days. his name was migel . so i will see in 2 days! or i will call back. he was saying how sorry he was and blablabla, i cannot stand people like this!! well now i go find out where i can report these thiefs!!!

• Om
    OmegaSnake88 Jul 21, 2010

UPDATE!!! I have had the same experience after buying some books on hotbooksale.com. After finding out about this scam I checked my email to find I (instead of super savings center) been made a member of bestbrandvalues.com. I then went to their site and used the password they gave me to cancel mt membership. It may be different scammers, but I think they may be changing their tactics.

• St
    Stupicme May 17, 2010

I am a victim too.

On April 27th, 2010, I purchased a book on Hotbooksale.com. 10 days later I found out that my credit card was charged three times. Besides the cost of the book, I was also charged $1.00 and $19.95.

I called the company immediately. A representative told me that $1 was the fee of 7-day trial, and $19.95 was the monthly fee applied since I didn’t cancel the membership within 7 days. She said that by pressing submit/purchasing from this site I automatically get a 7-day $1 trial membership to BestBrandValues, and after the trial they will start charging $19.95/month. She cancelled my membership as requested but refused to refund the membership fees.

However, during this entire purchasing process, not a single word or any texts displayed on their web pages mentioned about or referred to “Membership and Related Fees”.

I feel that I was misled and tricked into a membership. This is one of the most blatant examples of a website taking advantage of a customer.

• Tr
    tremendo85 Jan 27, 2010

Its funny that you guys take out the time to write all this, but don't find the time to read the terms of offer. Tsk tsk smh.

• Ru
    RUN!! Dec 13, 2009

I found a wonderful price on books at discountbookstore.com. The books that I wanted (5 of them) were marked at 5.91 after I added the first book to my cart the price on the rest jumped up to 10.91. At this point I began researching trying to find a way to email them to inquire about this. (My husband is on the phone or I would have called). During my research I found all of your feedback! Thank you so much for posting this, You have saved me from becoming their next victim!

• Co
    colorado ripped off Nov 09, 2009

I am a very savvy internet purchaser and am always checking to make sure I am not signing up for anything that I do not want. These guys are slick, and slipped this one past me. I got hit with the 19.95. There is no way that I agreed to a membership but I did get the dvd at the agreed price. Now it just cost me 25.95 instead of 6.95.
    They also told me that I got 3 emails from them. I read all my emails and didn't get anything from them. I even read my spam box. these guys are bad, I really hope the Attorney General in Florida takes them down.

• Sm
    SMART SAVING SUCKS Sep 29, 2009

DO NOT ORDER FROM HOT BOOKS AND DO NOT AGREE FOR AGREE FOR ANY FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIPS. SMART SAVING CENTER IS A FRAUD AND A SCAM. I WAS CHARGED MONTHLY 6 - $12.00 FEES ($72) WITH OUT MY CONSENT. I CALLED TO BE REIMBURSED ALL BUT THEY ONLY DID 3 OF THE 6. I AM WRITING A LETTER TO THE DISPUTE DEPT. IF I DO NOT HEAR FROM THEM WITH IN A WEEK AND IF I DON'T GET REIMBURSED ALL OF MY $72, I WILL ESCALATE TO FLORIDA'S DISTRICT ATTOURNEYS.

• Sm
    SmartSavingsCenter.com Sep 01, 2009

I am a victim, too I ordered Hotbooks. com and they continues to charge membership fee of $19.95 without my knowledge. I am pissed off and I would like to know how they pop up on overstock. com. I still have my order form from them. Alda Ashford

MADMEL00 Jul 22, 2009

BEWARE of ******HotMovieSale.com****. I Pre-ordered Twilight to insure I would get it. First off when the movie came out I receive a e-mail stating it was back ordered. Why would they pre-sale something to customers they didn't have. After 2 months I asked to cancel my order and to not be charged. I got a response of "no problem" You're account hasn't been charged and wouldn't have until the movie was sent. Okay fast ward 4 months later I notice a recurring charge for $12.oo. SO on top of not getting the movie they charged my credit card $48.00 for NOTHING. Case in point people, just go buy your movies/books/CD's from a actual store it will save you the aggravation.

• Ru
    russ200 Jul 13, 2009

I just called smartsavingscenter.com again after calling to cancel subscription that was signed up for us by hotmoviesales.com. Last month. After having called them last month (at the smartsavingscenter #) to cancel it we were billed again this month. The rep. Marco said we only canceled the hotmoviesales membership when I last called and refused to do anything about the billing for this month but he would cancel the smartsavingscenter billing for the future. I told him that was not acceptable and he must refund the money they stole from us this month. He refused saying there was nothing he could do. I asked him at least 5 times and he refused. But as soon as I told him I was recording the call he immediately told me to hold and he would see what he could do. He came back and said the money would be refunded to our acct. in 2 to 3 business days. Well see if it is. But he wasn't going to do anything until I told him the call was being recorded. I still think a lawsuit should be filed against this company. They are deliberately misleading people by acting as they are two different companies. So If you call to cancel memberships make sure you cancel both!!!

• Ro
    Robin Jun 06, 2009

I did receive the book but haven't had my money refunded as of yet. If I knew it would had cost me so much I would have ordered full price from a known site. These people have to be stopped!

JANE Jun 05, 2009

I am currently a victim of smartsavings.com, filed a claim with my bank and weeks later, the funds that were refunded were reversed! the bank emailed me the "proof" provided by smartsavings.com, and finally found out that the charges originated from hotbooksale.com. I dont ever recall accepting a membership. They also stated that they shipped the order, which they did not! (I even have an email stating that the order was cancelled). This company pisses me off. Has anyone even received an order fromt this site? For those who received a 100% refund, how did you do it?! I've been charged over $100, i didnt receive a complete refund.

IF YOU BOUGHT SOMETHING FROM THESE COMPANIES I SUGGEST YOU CHANGE YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER!

• Pu
    purpleperson Jun 01, 2009

I too was ripped off by this company. BEWARE !!!

• Pu
    purpleperson Jun 01, 2009

I too was ripped off by this company. I ordered a book cheap on Hotbooks.com and was being billed monthly from this unknown company. When I found out it was too late and they wouldn't refund my money. I never signed up for this!

• Da
    Dan May 12, 2009

Hello my name is Dan and I was wronged by Smart Savings Center, LLC. I am a Forensic Accountant by trade with years of big 4 audit experience. My (secondary personal) e-mail address is [email protected], please feel free to contact me with your information. I will be preparing information to further our cause (not collecting your Personally Identifiable Information).
    Below is critical information, supporting links, and suggested action steps.

Company:
    Smart Savings Center, Limited Liability Company.
    Website:
    www.smartsavingscenter.com
    Company’s Physical Address:
    999W.Yamato Road
    Suite 100
    Boca Raton, FL 33431
    (Source, Articles of Organization, 2006)
    Owner:
    Kenneth J Schwartz (Source, Articles of Organization, 2006 and 2009 LLC Annual Report, 2009)

Mr. Schwartz is a Lawyer who was disciplined by The Florida Bar in 1998 (Source, The Florida Bar vs. Kenneth Jeffrey Schwartz, 1999). The actual reason was not disclosed but he was required to attend ethics school and pay a fine of $750. Report requested from The Florida Bar.
    Business Purpose:
    “ANY AND ALL LAWFUL BUSNESS.”
    (Source, Articles of Organization, 2006)

See below for sites to file complaints or e mail me for assistance. I have additional (public) information to provide at your request.

References

Articles of Organization (Smart Savings Center, LLC), (July 11, 2006). Florida Department of State Division of Corporations. Link http://www.sunbiz.org/COR/2006/0712/10313581.tif.

2009 LLC Annual Report (Smart Savings Center, LLC), (April 4, 2009). Florida Department of State Division of Corporations. Link http://www.sunbiz.org/pdf/53755095.pdf

The Florida Bar vs. Kenneth Jeffrey Schwartz, (June, 7, 1999). Florida Supreme Court. Case Docket Search. Case Number: SC60-93721. Link http://jweb.flcourts.org/pls/docket/ds_docket?p_caseyear=1960&p_casenumber=93721&psCourt=FSC&psSearchType=.

To File Complaints

Southeast Florida Better Business Bureau
    Need to type Smart Savings Center, LLC (no spaces).
    They already have a rating of ‘F’!

Boca Raton Sheriff’s Office
    [protected]
    You need to talk to the Head Sheriff who is working and file a complaint. The company does have a history of complaints. They are difficult to talk to.

Registered Agent/Attorney
    Walter H. Messick, P.A.
    1900 Corporate Blvd.
    Suite 200 East
    Boca Raton, FL 33431

The Florida Bar
    Both Messick and Schwartz are certified in Florida.
    Staff members whose extensions range from
    5601 through 5859 may be dialed directly -- 850/561 + extension.
    ALL extensions may be reached through the automated switchboard --
    850/561-5600 + 1 + extension followed by the # sign.
    Disciplinary Matters: 5839
    Case Files Donna McMahon [email protected] 5639
    Complaints - In Person Richard Orr [email protected] 5639
    Complaints - Phone Attorney Consumer Assistance Program [email protected] 5673
    Disciplinary Opinions, Copies of Donna McMahon [email protected] 5847

McAfee Site Advisor
    Notify them that the site is not safe for use.

Internet Crime Complaint Center

Janet May 04, 2009

Add me to the list of angry people who have been robbed by this lousy outfit! I have NO IDEA what or when I ordered, to get these charges started, but today I got my credit card bill with charges of $1.00, $29.95, and a late fee of $15.00!

I immediately called Chase to dispute the charges, they said if you order ANYTHING online, to be sure you don't check the "I agree" boxes unless you read every word! Seems companies like Amazon, HalfOff.com, etc., are in "partnership" with outfits like this SmartSavings.com, and my question is WHY? Why would they want their reputations ruined, their customers ripped off and angry? What's in it for them?

Anyway, after speaking to four people at Chase, I am getting that card canceled, the current charges off, and they will issue me a new card with a new number. I guess the two months of charges they previously stole are just lost. I am not a happy camper!

Chuck May 03, 2009

The contact information:

Main Office
    SmartSavingsCenter, LLC
    DBA DiscountBookSale
    PO Box 810365
    Boca Raton, FL [protected]

Phone [protected]

CALL THIS NUMBER TO CANCELL ! ! ! ! !

Mary B Apr 28, 2009

Smartsavingscenter.com is horrible and unprofessional in their deceitful practices. I bought some books on Amazon for 30 bucks and paid an additional 19.95 for a membership I never asked for and an additonal 1.oo for a service fee - beware - seaching on Amazon!

Mary Apr 26, 2009

I ordered a book in December 2008. In January when our VISA bill came, there was the $5.87 for the book, plus $29.95 plus $1.00, all from Smartsavingscenter.com. The only charge I had authorized was the book purchase for $5.87 from HotBookSale.com, but had never heard of Smartsavingscenter. The number I called was very static-ey & sounded very far away----an automated voice with a heavy accent plus all the static due to a bad connection made it impossible to understand a single word. So I pressed ZERO, as that often will summon a human to the line, but no luck. Called that number repeatedly from several different phones with the same garbled result every time. So I immediately wrote a letter of dispute to my credit card company. Smartsavingscenter has charged $29.95 per month plus $1.00 per month on my card every month since December. My credit card company has issued a conditional credit to me while they investigate. I just discovered the NUMEROUS websites filled w/complaints about this company & plan to give that info to my credit card company so they will understand that this is a pervasive scam. We are both college educated adults who have never fallen prey to any kind of scam, and I am 100% convinced that there was nothing on our computer screen that mentioned anything about a club or a recurring charge. We make a habit of never joining any kind of club or membership that costs money, & there is no way we would have agreed to this. Although it sounds like their call center is located overseas, the SmartSavingsCenter.com has a business address in Florida. There is currently an investigation open in the FL Attorney General's office, & the more people they hear from, the better. So please, EVERYONE affected by this scam, please take a few minutes to write to: Attorney General Bill McColum, The Capitol PL-01, Tallahassee, FL [protected] or fax to Attorney General Bill McCollum at [protected]. We all have to speak out to get this scam stopped!

• Ho
    Howard Miller Apr 15, 2009

I ordered a DVD for a friend back in November at what I thought was a good price. The DVD arrived, it was paid for and everything was OK. Then, charges started appearing on my Discover card for membership fees and shipping. I called Smart Savings' 800 number and every time got sent to a phone center in India and was told they'd get back to me. Needless to say, they never did. So I called Discover and disputed the charges. Discover removed the charges, but now have restored some of them, saying Smart Savings claims I never canceled the membership I didn't want in the first place. Of course, I did cancel and have an E-mail dated Feb. 13 to prove it, but now Discover tells me they can't give me back money from before I canceled. Looks like I'm going to be out about $30 unless I can get Smart Savings to refund my money (fat chance!) Surely Discover and all the other credit card companies have seen this website and know what Smart Savings is up to. The fact that they still allow this scam does not reflect well on these companies.

Howard Miller

• Go
    GotScammed Apr 08, 2009

I ordered a book from the site on the 9th of Dec 2008 and notice that they had charged me membership fee a few days later. I called and cancelled right of away, even got a confirmation email for the confirmation. But that didn't stop them from continue charging you a $1 every 2 weeks. I got sick of this and went and cancel the credit card account that I used to pay for my book.

These people are crook. They don't charge you an annual fee of 29.95. They charge you $1 so you really notice it on your statement.

• Co
    coffeehousemt Apr 04, 2009

I saw the scam when I made my purchase and immediately called to cancel. Got the confirmation number. Got the e-mail from supersavingscenter confirming the cancellation. Four months later, I got two $1 charges. Like many, I called and told that there was two memberships, and I had only canceled one. The puzzling part was that I told I had canceled the discountbook membership but not supersaving. When I explained that I had gotten an e-mail saying that the supersavings one was canceled and that it was wrong and immoral for her to say that I still had a membership, her quick and scripted rebuttal was about how the heading had not been changed at that time . . . I canceled everything. I got a dig in at the end for the girl on the phone about how she could work at a company like that and feel good about herself at the end of the day. Probably not necessary since life sucks pretty badly if that's her only option. Stripping seems like more honest work though. I feel lucky that I only got scammed out of $2.

• La
    laura hughes Apr 04, 2009

Before I realized it, I had given 90 dollars to this company ( 3 monthly payement)s before I was able to cancel the so called membership that they claimed I had signed up for. Recently, I realized that the sum of one dollars was debited frequently and randomly from my account from Smart Saving Center ! incredible! keep looking at your statement people. They might come back and take money even after you cancel your account.
    I have insisted that they would reumburse me for the randoms dolars they take but I don't have that much hope.
    What makes me very angry is that I found this company through Amazon . I feel that Amazon should look more carefully at the seller they allow on their site . When I call Amazon to let them know they were very unsympathetic. Now I feel that unless you pay with paypal it is definitely unsafe to buy online.

• Ra
    Rachel Apr 02, 2009

I purchased a book online for $2.20, which seemed like a great deal at the time. The next time I looked at my credit card statement, I had one charge for the book, and three unexplained charges for $1.00, $29.95 and $1.00 respectively. I called the toll free number on my statement and was told that the $1.00 charges were processing fees and that the $29.95 charge was for a membership I signed up for when I purchased the book. I explained that I never knowingly signed up for any membership and asked to be refunded for the membership fee and associated processing fee, which I was.

A little over three weeks later, I was reviewing my credit card statement and noticed that two additional $1.00 charges had been made. I called again, explained that I had cancelled my membership and had already been issued a refund. I was told by the customer service rep that my first cancellation was only a partial cancellation and that I still had an open membership with one of their web shops. Again, I asked that any and all memberships and accounts be closed and that my money be refunded. I was told that only one of the two charges could, and will be, refunded. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told that the supervisor was busy and would be unable to help me anyway. I am currently disputing the second charge with my credit card company and will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau for whatever it's worth.

• Gr
    green2009 Mar 31, 2009

I bought a paperback book from Amazon, I thought and got hooked up with this crooked company. I have been charged $29.95 Jan, Feb and March, plus $1.00 per month. Shame on me for not catching it sooner but I have changed my credit card number and am disputing the charges. I sure wish there was more I could do to stop this company. What the heck are the BBB doing down there to stop them? [email protected]

• Bo
    BobW Mar 28, 2009

I have had a dollar taken out of my bank account for the last three months. I have filled a complaint with the BBB in Florida. I hope to hear something this week at least I hope so.

• Te
    Ted Sweeny Mar 25, 2009

This firm automatically signs you up to a "savings club" that you do not wish to join. These folks are crooks! Beware!

• Ji
    Jim Mar 23, 2009

Go to ripoff.com to see how I was ripped off by these monsters, who laughted at me when I tried to get my fraudlent charges refunded !

After making a purchase, these crooks debited my account at will until I stopped it ...

Please contact me about filing a class action lawsuit: [email protected]

• Fe
    FedUp! Mar 21, 2009

BE VERY CAREFUL ORDERING BOOKS ONLINE!
    We ordered from discountbooks.com through AMAZON - and were not given anything of a notice for this awful site.

We even canceled our account in feb. 09 and they still continued to take money out of our account the following month and told us only one thing was canceled - when we canceled everything.
    This site is a huge scam.

Even when you "Cancel" make sure you cancel EVERYTHING or they will keep taking money out, and WILL NOT GIVE IT BACK!
    Wretched people!

sandman Mar 18, 2009

Add me to the list! Does anybody know if you can get one's money back paid for the "membership fees"? This outfit needs to be shut down.

• Da
    danyele14 Mar 17, 2009

Bad bad company!!! Here is a corporate number [protected] ask to be transferred to the Compliance Department. Good Luck!!!

We need to take a stand!!!

• Cl
    Clayton Mar 13, 2009

I agree 100%. These people are rip off artist.I thought I was ordering a DVD from these people and later on was told that DVd was out of stock.Then i started seeing money taken from account from people I di not know.I called and was told i had joined their membership DVD club.I told them i did not and wanted my money back.They promised it would be returned .It was but they had already charged again for the next month.I called again after calling my bank and told them the bank would be contacting them if my money was not put back.It was but now they are still taking a dollar each month which they say are handling fees.What handling did they do nothing but cheat me out of my money.These people need to be shut down.

• Wi
    William Miller Mar 10, 2009

I was totally unaware that I "apparently" agreed to Smart Savings Center's terms.

My first bill was for $1.00, the secord $29.95 and $1.00. I called my credit card company. Because I used American Express, I feel confident they will get to the bottom of this. In the mean time I am not paying these charges.

After reading so many complaints about this SCAM, I wonder why someone has not taken action to shut them down. Perhaps my impression is correct. . .they are not based in the United States.

• Ny
    NYC Steve Mar 08, 2009

The phone number Charliefoxtrot listed for Xacti group is incorrect the area code (516) is for Long Island New York. The correct area code for Boca Raton Fl is (561).

I have cancelled the "membership' and the "maintenance charges ' their phone number to do this is [protected]

• On
    oncebittentwiceshy Mar 07, 2009

My wife ordered a book from HotBooks and right after the order was placed was when we discovered the membership scam. She called the next day and cancelled the membership, or so we thought. 4 days later a $1 transaction was on our bank statement. Then 2 weeks later, another $1. I called and it appears when you make a purchase, you sign up for 2 memberships not just one. The first membership is with the specific website (HotBooks in our case), which apparently is the one we cancelled, and the other is with Smart Savings Center itself, which we weren't aware of and didn't cancel. We cancelled that one today, so hopefully we are only out $2... Beware of the secret, hidden SECOND membership.

• Bl
    BlueChameleon Mar 06, 2009

I'm a student, therefore there isn't much in my bank account. I ordered a book from them in January. I read the agreement and knew I would be charged if I didn't cancel with-in the time frame. They charged my account on the 6th day rather then the 7th, threw my account into overdraft, it spiraled out of control eventually accumulating over $800 in fee's! I called them, it took 4 people and over an hour but they finally agreed to refund my money (in 10 days) while I got charged $50 then $75 a day in overdraft fee's. My bank is pretty amazing and immediately refunded my money after I was refunded by them.
    Something else really interesting was that for those 6 days my order said "in progress", I cancelled and it "shipped" 4 hours later. I say "shipped" because I never received it. I just looked at my bank statement and I'm STILL being charged monthly from them.

• Ci
    Cindy Mar 04, 2009

I bought a book through Amazon .com My bill was paid imediately. Today I found the exact charges on my bank statement for membership to Smart savings. I even went back to the site and looked for the link or Smart Savings logo and there was no "membership details on the page to be found. I was able to call and speak to someone on these charges and was given an Email confirming my cancelation. I was taken for $61.90. I was told I would recieve my refund within 10 business days. Lets see if that happens.

charliefoxtrot Mar 03, 2009

I also fell victim to them... but after complaining enough and sending letters to the Florida Attorney General, I did receive a refund from them totaling $59.90. If you your self would like to raise a little cane (I highly suggest it) you can call THEIR OFFICE DIRECTLY not the one in a 3rd world country. All of their information I will list below. Good luck and tell them I said hi ;-)

Skip Middleton is the Executive Vice President at Xacti Group which is their parent company. Xacti can be contacted at:

[protected]
    999 W. Yamato Rd
    Suite 100
    Boca Raton, FL 33481

When I called the 1st time I spoke with Lesley at extension 435, then with someone names Auntrey, and finally with Andrew.

I hope this helps!!!

• Me
    Melissa Feb 28, 2009

I ordered a book off Hotbooks.com and I remember saying I did not want to sign up for there "club" they charged 29.95 to my account and then I didnt have enough money to cover that so my bank charge a 30.00 over draft fee.I went into the bank and had the teller call the smartsavingscenter and she was furious at their way of handling the call the woman said someone would get back to her in 48 hours.I called when I got home to Cancel and they returned my 29.95 the bank gave the 30.00 overdraft fee back and I closed my account, just yesterday I got an email from smartsavingscenter saying they have tried to charge my account and my subscription will be cancelled if I dont contact them within 28 days!!! SO BEWARE I suggest closing your account as I did so they cannot charge you anymore, just because they tell you its cancelled does not mean a thing!!! Hope this helps :(

• Ca
    Carl Feb 28, 2009

Charged my visa card 5 times before I got them stoped. Had to change card numbers. Ther has to be a law against this. If there is why dodesn't some one fix it.