Sanford Meisner Centercrazy/not fit to teach

L

I went for an interview, after seeing a few other Meisner acting classes. this guy was abusive and crazy in the class I audited. He said he is the only one authorized to teach Meisner but after doing some research I found this is not to be true. Another teacher lying about their credentials. Plus he's never acted. Went to class then stayed in the class. I checked him out at the Neighborhood Playhouse. Run and run fast. So many better teachers. He doesn't even have any noted graduates.

• Ru
    RunfromRanjiv Perera Apr 13, 2015

I had not realized this was here, but please be so kind as to add Ranjiv Perera’s name to this list because he was taught/trained by Marty. His entire goal is to make you cry like others have suggested and he gets an extreme kick out of torturing his students. Someone out there is looking out for me because finding this complaint board made me realize how grateful I should be for not being accepted into the school. Ranjiv is a sri lanka psychopath. He told another friend of mine, who was accepted that he would not like him during the teachings when he enrolled, which only equates to (I will make your life a living H e l l).

From some of the posters descriptions Ranjiv sounds just like Martin Barter. I mean seriously? Another similar brother, but from a
    different mother. Ranjiv even told us during orientation that if we talked to any of The Meisner Center’s student, it would seem like a cult and many have already stated that. So thank you all for confirming what I already have figured out.

I am extremely different from most of Ranjiv’s students. I am not weak and would have called him out on his b.s. He wears his Sandy/Marty stamp of approval on his chest like he is god or something. Belittling students and treating them like crap is no way to produce positive learning experiences or anything akin to learning. I was in the service and during Basic Training that was the system they used before they decided it wasn’t working.

Alex Taylor, another teacher who is one of three, along with Ranjiv in that group of teachers, who was specifically taught to teach Meisner, has backing by The Meisner Estate. He left The Meisner Center due to a conflict and it makes me wonder if it wasn’t due to
    wacko Ranjiv. Everyone is keeping quiet as to why he left, but who’s to say really?

It totally seems like I need to avoid anything and anyone associated with Martin Barter.

• 13
    1310Dude20xx Feb 07, 2014

I'll post here too, as I don't want anyone else to get sucked in and have their time and money wasted. Don't believe the BS about this place and its so-called teacher Martin Barter. Run away and go find another acting school that actually has a credible reputation. Listen to me right now: Nothing about being "emotionally torn down and rebuilt" has anything to do with learning how to act. If that's what you want, then join the military and be torn down and rebuilt into a soldier. People who are going to be actors are usually already comfortable with expressing emotion in front of strangers, anyway. This fool constantly told me that I was a liar, because I didn't buy into his crap and held up class to have me pantomime killing my "liar self." That's when I was 100% sure he was full of garbage. I'll give you a moment to finish laughing. Look, just buy "Sanford Meisner on Acting" and read that book thoroughly before you buy into Martin Barter's alleged Meisner teachings. I doubt that anything is different now, as people with enormous egos rarely admit any wrong doing and just continue on living in their fantasy world. It takes a genuinely strong person to admit when they're wrong, but I doubt if Martin Barter will ever do that. I would be wary of anyone claiming they're the only one who's qualified to teach a certain thing, anyway. LOL, he had me pantomime killing myself...I'm so glad it's not 2009 anymore.

• Dp
    DPact Aug 25, 2011

I agree 100% with C.D. Martin Barter is amazing and pushes you to the limit. Martin Barter truly cares about his students' growth, and he's not afraid to tell the truth (good or bad). Some people can't handle criticism, and that's okay, but I've seen Martin turned even the most "talentless" actors into extremely moving, truthful actors on stage. Amazing.

C.D May 07, 2010

If you'd like to know who has been working they're going to be putting headshots on the walls of the Meisner Center of working graduates in coming weeks.

lovetoact Jan 20, 2010

Would love to know who the working actors are that have come out of there.

lovetoact Jan 20, 2010

Didn't take Jimmy awhile to catch on. From what I understand Martin changed, Martin's teaching changed thus Jimmy closed the Meisner/Carville School. One's work (teaching) is based on what they are doing now. Not on what they did in the past.

C.D Dec 25, 2009

Oh and I've also never heard Martin say that other teachers are jealous. Not once.

C.D Dec 25, 2009

He doesn't push you to do emotions over the top. That wouldn't be living truthfully. But most people don't know how to really acess their true emotional reactions in acting. Its hard to really go to a place as emotional as preparing a final meal for a dying loved one. To truly be in that place emotionally can be very difficult. Thats what he pushes you to do, not to be "over the top." And Martin does say to take it down "to film level" if thats what you're working on. But it doesn't mean be less emotionally full, but to take volume down, be mindful of staging, movement etc. like you would on any film set. Likewise, if you were doing stage work volume would go up and staging would be different respectably.

The school was founded as a theatre company/school where current students could mix with graduates.

I don't know everything but this is what I do know:

-The Meisner Center does put out working actors. I know them personally.

-Many people do truly belive that Martin Barter is a wonderful teacher, I and my classmates included.

-Martin Barter knew Sanford Meisner a long time, a time span far exceeding being a mere student. He has pictures from his life with Sanford Meisner spannning decades as proof, including having a relationship close enough for Sandy for him to be Martins best man.

-Sanford Meisner trusted Martin Barter to teach the technique otherwise who would not have been chosen to teach at the center.

And I know that I have grown greatly as an actor. The feedback I get at auditions as a result of my training the center has been nothing but positive.

But thats not to say my experiences are the same as everyones...obviously.

But I truly believe to call studying at the Meisner Center a "waste of time" is being incredibely un-generous and extremely hostile.

lovetoact Dec 19, 2009

Not everyone has glowing comments about the center and hardly anyone who goes there works as an actor. In fact Martin Barter's teaching damages you for work in tv and film because he insists on emotion being pushed and over the top. I know of only one actor in my ten years of graduates who works consistently. Agents and casting directors do not like his teaching. Whoever is posting these praises have bought into the hype and guru posturing of Barter.

Other facts: The Meisner Center was not founded as a school. It was a theatre company started by graduates of Sanford Meisner. The only school that was founded by Sanford Meisner is the Meisner/Carville School of Acting which Jimmy Carville, Meisner's life partner closed due to Barter's not teaching the technique authentically. Almost ANY other Meisner school has more working graduates than Martin Barters. Don't believe me? Ask other Meisner teachers. It's funny how Barter lies that all the other teachers are jealous about his relationship with Sanford Meisner. Barter worked for Meisner for 3 years. [protected]. That's it. He's a liar who teaches "living truthfully." Don't waste your time or money studying with this megalomaniac.

C.D Dec 17, 2009

I definitely feel the need to defend the Meisner Center and Martin.

Martin never says he is the only one certified to teach the technique. He used to say that the Meisner Center was the only place certified to use Sandys name which up until recently was true.

He also says he is one of only a few remaining teachers approved by Sandy himself to teach the technique. He's not the only one, just one of the few left.

As for peopleworth noting, in the past people such as Jeff Bridges have come in and spoken to classes at the Meisner center. In any case there are alot of working actors coming out of the center. I know them personally. Alot of them are my friends.

Martin Barter is definitely the real deal.

-He worked at the Neighborhood Playhouse for years.

-Sandy was even his best man at his wedding.

-He was personally trained and approved to teach the Meisner technique by Sandy.

-The school was opened under Sandys name with his approval for Martin Barter to teach the technique/direct.

I have been training intensively at the meisner center for months. I hang out with all the current students and even several former students. Everyone has glowing comments about the center. Everyone who studies and dedicates their time at the center grows tremendously as an actor and as a person. The Meisner Center puts out working actors.

Marty can be tough on you. He will bruise your ego, I know firsthand. His class is not for everybody. But he does everything with the sole intention of bringing the full potential out of all of his students. He truly is a caring person.

I have trained at many places and none are as transformative as this. A+ to the Meisner center

Again, the Meisner center is not for everybody.In fact the Meisner technique may not even be right foryou. I suggest going out, auditing classes, and finding a place you can call home. Thats what I did and I definitely call the Meisner center home.

• Ac
    acting Aug 08, 2009

A horrible, awful teacher. Hateful, bitter, and bizzare.