Roni Lynn Deutchscam - fradulent practices

S Review updated:

I hired Roni Deutch's office in November of 2008 as I owed back taxes. My business was failing and I had zero income for over 6 months and was starting to live off credit cards. I was quickly told by Roni’s sales person I qualified for a "currently not collectible status". I explained I had already contacted the IRS myself (a few months back) and they were pretty reasonable with a $200 payment arrangement, however, after no income for 6 months, I wasn't able to even pay that amount. The "sales girl" quickly said DO NOT CONTACT THE IRS ANY MORE! Let us do it and we can even reduce the outstanding amount you owe. I said I wasn't looking for that, just to halt payments until I started making money again. Fast forward to today 5/29/09 - they still have done nothing for me and I have filled out all their paperwork in a timely manner. They keep telling me there is just one more thing to fill out because too much time has gone by. Yeah, too much time because they haven't done a darn thing! They are just a call center (I live in the Sacramento Area where they are located). I have never spoken with a real attorney in the 6 months I have been a "client". I just made my final payment to them a few weeks back - and oh by the way, the IRS has since seized my bank account for lack of communication with them. Please let me know if there will be a class action law suit because I am in!!! My situation with the IRS is WORSE now since I have hired them because they have done nothing and have told me (in writing) not communicate with the IRS at ALL! They would handle it but they can't promise when because they don't have control of their attorney's calendar. In 6 Months this is the same response I continuously get!

• Cr
    CrazyMomD Aug 12, 2009

I' sorry to hear of your trouble, but thank you for posting the story. I was just considering calling them to help with my tax situation. Have you filed a complaint with the BBB? There are 215 complaints against this company. I'm not sure how much help the BBB will be in settling everyone's complaints, but it doesn't hurt to report it. Then there is always the news channel route, i.e. Call Kurtis in Sacramento. It's always worth a shot - the more negative press this firm gets, the more good your unfortunate circumstance will do for others.

• Va
    va girl59 Aug 17, 2009

My husband and I hired Ronnie Lynn Deutch Tax company to handle our problem with the IRS. We got the same song and dance . The IRS taxed us on my husbands workers compensation payments. We were told that we owed 11, 000.00 . RLD representative told us that we would be put on a non collectable status. My husband and I sent to RLD all the documents that they requested. RLD has had our case for 11 months. The last week in July 2009 we received a letter from the IRS stating that since our attorney was no longer representing us, the power of attorney was void. I called RLD asked the person that always took our calls ( not an attorney) about the letter, and he stated that yes our attorney was no longer with RLD. Of course I asked him why were not notified of this and he stated that there were 5 other attorneys on the power of attorney and named the attorney that was
    taking over our case. Well on friday August 14, I was checking my bank account and low and behold the IRS had taken 16000.oo out of my savings account. I called RLD and the same person that always took my call was surprised that this had happened. He told me that we had 21 days before the money was actually taken out of the account and he would get the new attorney to call the IRS and see why this happened and he would call me with an update. Today monday August 17, 2009, my husband called the bank and spoke with
    the Vice President, he asked if there was a 21 day wait before the IRS could get the money.
    There wasnt any 21 day wait the IRS had already taken the money on
    August 11. I am so disgusted that the federal government let this type of scam go on. I cannot believe that the ABA lets this woman scam people claiming she is a tax attorney and can help people when she is actually scamming people. That money was in my husbands and my retirement money. We are both disabled and on a limited income. That might not seem like large amount of money, but to us it was. Now my husband and I dont have that money anymore, that crook does plus the fee we paid. I spoke to head of the financial department and was told I had to write or fax a letter to explain why I needed a refund, and no guarantee that I would get it. Somebody has to do something befpre she scams anymore people like me and my husband.

• Fo
    foamy Oct 07, 2009

Same thing happened to me. Paid these people 2500.00 to put me in non-collectable status, after continuoiusly filling out and sending them paperwork for a year, one day I got a notice from the IRS that I was no longer represented by the "law firm". My question is- where the heck did my money go? Did it pay for the paper, postage and envelopes that went back and forth between me and them for a year? Roni Deutch is the biggest sca artist out there!

• El
    elizzy Oct 08, 2009

Hired them 6 months ago for an installment agreement for the $22, 000 I owe them. Was assured by RLD that all collection efforts would halt by the IRS if I retained them. All I had to do was plunk down the $500 retainer! I wish I never did that...6 months later and $1875.00 short, I just get a letter of Wage Garnishment from the IRS. They are taking everything from check except for $365 biweekly. Been trying to get RLD offices for the last 10 days to do something and all the snotty little operators tell me is that my attorney hasn't had a chance to call the IRS!???? Just made a final payment to them and I got a bad feeling that this nightmare is only going to get worse.
    I've called them every day for 10 days literally begging for help...Anyone gets a class action against them I'm in!

• El
    elizzy Oct 08, 2009

UPDATE:
    To date since I've completed my payments and numerous phone calls, there's been no word from them. I'm not surprised. Today I called the IRS myself and within 20 minutes my garnishment was lifted and an acceptable payment plan was established. They were horrified with my story and all they could say is "Always call us directly if you need help" This was the nicest person I talked to and now I'm going to make it my mission in life to bring down this Crook who's preyed on us!!

jazz Nov 09, 2009

I also had issues with them... very similar to your stories above. Let's seek an attorney and sue the pants off. This should be against the law. I am looking for an attorney as we speak. Anyone interested, please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com. They need a Class Action whacked upside their heads.

• Sb
    sbhardy Jan 27, 2010

I don't know why people think that because a business is bbb certified that automatically means that they can't or won't scam you. Most businesses have paid bbb to be listed as a certified business. So the bbb is scamming too - the Trusting Public!

• Kr
    kram smada Jan 28, 2010

she scammed me out of 15, 000 still have major irs problems

• Li
    Lilii Jan 28, 2010

That's funny how they scam everyone and they are still on TV they should be locked up,
    everyone should get togather and sue this liers

• Be
    bebegee Feb 08, 2010

I urge you to contact the state bar association of California and your own state and file a FORMAL complaint against this lawyer!!

• Ca
    caks Mar 21, 2010

We had the same experience with her "law firm." We were totally scammed out of over $4, 000 in fees to them and still had over $10, o00 due in back taxes. She should not be in business anymore!

Cheeto123 Apr 03, 2010

Ok folks, I’m going to give you some advice. I work in the Collections Dept with the IRS. Don’t waste your money with these companies. What these companies charge you to do; you can do for yourself for free. If you’re scared to talk to the IRS, we are not bad people. We do want to help. It does not cost you anything to setup a CNC with the IRS. If you want an idea of what may be asked, go to IRS.GOV, go to the search block and type in Form 433F. CNC is for people who are in temporary serious economic hardship. Not everyone can qualify for it, though these companies would like you to believe so. What these companies may not tell you: interest and penalties will continue to be added to your balance while on CNC status and a lien will be issued if the balance is $5000 or over. If you received notice to contact the IRS, do not ignore it. If your "representative" does not call within the timeframe the IRS set, the IRS will come after you, not your 'representative". This is why you wake up in the morning with your bank accounts or wages levied, when you thought your "representative" is handling it. If this happens, call the IRS right away to try to make some arrangements. If nothing can be setup at that time, you may be able to get a temporary partial levy release due to hardship situation. When your “representative” does call the IRS, they are warned of further collection actions if they don’t respond within the timeframe that is agreed upon. If they don’t call, the IRS comes after you. Don’t hire these people thinking there they have the secret to get rid of the balance you honestly owe. You can apply for an Offer in Compromise. More information on this can be found at IRS.GOV keyword OIC. Payment arrangements can be made with your balances. You don’t have to pay the balance all upfront. But if you put off paying your balance for a few years, your $400 balance may now become $1500 due to the interest and penalties after several years and the payments will also be higher. Before setting up a payment arrangement, make sure you have all your required years have been filed and make sure you have copies of them. I’ve noticed a few people who thought their "representatives" had already filed those years ago, then it turns out they never mailed it off. I keep copies of my last 10 years of tax returns. There is more I can say, but don’t have the space. If you need help, call the IRS. If you call us and don’t like the answer, don’t hire these “representatives” thinking the IRS will change their answer. The only thing that changes is your bank account from paying the company fees that could have been used to pay down your balance. Don’t believe the promises these companies may give to you.

Joe Mastriano CPA Apr 27, 2010

Just because someone shows you a BBB badge doesn't mean they will provide a quality service. Do your homework on who you are hiring before you hire them. Research the Internet and find out how many complaints they have and what those complaints are. And, as a rule, you will always get better attention and dedication from small firms with a small number of highly experienced professionals than from large firms who employ many so called experts and wave the "cumulated experience" flag before your eyes. Would you like your IRS problems to be "thrown together" with hundreds of other clients within the commercial machine of a large firm, have your files misplaced, your case mishandled? Or would you rather have a real professional with a lifetime of experience, get directly involved in your case and save you from the IRS.

Do not believe the hype, hire a true professional that will manage your case with the attention it deserves. Having problems with the IRS is not something to be taken lightly. If you want to know more on how you can represent yourself before the IRS, learn more about your problem and the options available to you, or if you need to hire a highly experienced tax professional with over 25 years of hands-on experience in dealing with tax problems and the IRS, visit my website at: www.TaxProblem.org

• Sd
    SDJ2K12 Apr 28, 2010

DO NOT USE RLD services they make a ### load of promises and don't follow thru with any of them. I thought maybe I didn't follow thru on something but this service is a complete ripoff. Your better off calling the IRS yourself and make arrangements. The three reps I've spoke to so far have been very professional and understanding and have done everything they can within there power to help me. Only thing RD is good for is clogging up your mailbox with useless mail!!! AGAIN DO NOT USE RLD SERVICES!!!

• Te
    Terry1984 May 01, 2010

the law firm is a piece of garbage but the tax centers; at least the ones that did my taxes they are very helpful and know what they are doing. tax centers are privately owened, they are franchises. a tax center in florida did my taxes and they were very helpful

• Bi
    Billv2 Jun 13, 2010

I made the mistake of sending them the $500.00 that I'll probably never see again just to be told that I still need the same amount that I owed on back taxes along with interest! They supposedly "aggresively negotiated" a monthly payment for five years with IRS. I could have done this myself again as I had already done in 2008 through the IRS's Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). I Seriously hope and pray that Ronnie Douch bag will be taken out of business and forced to pay all the victims back.

• Be
    Beeman Sawmill Jun 19, 2010

I had the same problems. At least I was only out 1300.00 before I figured out how worthless these people are. I talked to the IRS against there wishes after several months of notices and they said they still had not heard from any attorney on my part. I settled very reasonably with the IRS and chalked Roni Deutch up to a bad experiment. I will never be late on my taxes again!

• Di
    dissappointed in georgia Jul 08, 2010

I agree we too were also victims of this so called law firm, they run it like an assembly line, never can you get a real attorney and exactly all they do is send paperwork, the same, over and over again. What a racket this place is we had alreaddy paid $1, 300 and we found they had not done a dam thing with the IRS, her license should be taken and this firm shut down permanently.

• Ju
    Justice777 Jul 12, 2010

I was scammed for $1, 600 by their slick salesman, who assured me that they could put me in a "non-collectible" mode due to the fact that I was unemployed, and needed some time to get back on my feet and resume IRS payments. Their "free consultation" serves one purpose, to determined if you can pay their fee. They didn't seem to have any problem with my using up my 401(k) to do so. They strong arm you to pay upfront, (i.e.: "We need your fee within 24 hours.") and then do nothing to help you. They stall you by insisting that you complete massive amounts of paperwork, reiterating information that you've already given to them over the phone. Then, they keep sending you various parts of the same paperwork to complete, over and over again, claiming that they did not receive this or that item. Red flag number one. Finally I get over that hurdle, and 60 days go by without any word. I had to call them to learn the status of my case. Once I got through, and after speaking with multiple customer service clerks, (they won't let you talk to any lawyers), I was informed that I did not in fact qualify for a non-collectible status, even though NOTHING changed in my finances since the intial consultation. The time to figure that out was prior to taking a fee from me. Their initial assurance was the reason I contracted with them. The phrase "bait and switch" comes to mind. I demanded to speak to Roni Deutch but was told by an officious clerk that "Roni doesn't speak with clients" That was the lightbulb moment when I admitted to myself that I had been scammed by this legal grindhouse.

They prey on people who are already in trouble, down to their last dollars. They don't care. Once they get that fee, they won't do anything for you unless you scream bloody murder. They caused me to be alienated from the IRS and I ended up owing additional interest and fees, not to mention being $1, 600 poorer, money that should have gone directly to the IRS.

BBB, you need to re-evalute this firms rating. Also, they really need a dose of class action.

• Yd
    ydecelis18 Aug 22, 2010

Oh i got ROYALLY screw over by this so called "professional tax center" and am still working with them to at least TRY to get the money owed to me by them and by the IRS. Don't EVER EVER EVER hire these people. It's a complete waste of money - they screwed us so badly that the IRS thinks we owe them money for 2008 even though they owe us.

• Yd
    ydecelis18 Aug 22, 2010

If anyone wants to set up a law suit against these guys please let me know. They need to be sued and put out of business.

Angel in San Diego Aug 23, 2010

THANK YOU to everyone who posted here! I actually called the 800# advertised on the tv TODAY. I became skeptical when the person said I had to give them my contact information BEFOFE putting me through to a tax professional. I told her I needed to check out this person before giving my personal info. I am glad I did and hopefully I can help some of you who want to sue. A complaint has been filed and as of today you can find out more here:

Here’s a copy of the actual complaint:

Ant Mary Aug 27, 2010

Why is Roni Deutch still on TV? I just saw her advertisement and was really surprised since she is being investigated for numerous complaints of fraud, etc.

• Ed
    edmonbase Sep 01, 2010

I too contacted Ronni Dueth to assist with my tax issues. I was informed by the IRS that I owed back taxes totalling approxiamtely $10, 000 dollars. So I contacted the law firm for assistance. I was instructed to send in $500.00. Received a letter that I should check with the IRS to see if they received all my tax returns; to amendany tax returns not on file with the IRS to see if I could resolve my issues. I did not have a tax lien at the time, but a tax lien warning. I did all the work, contacted the IRS, filed my amended returns, go the amount I owed reduced, and solve my problems on my own. I immediately contact Ronni Duech's law firm and told then to cancel their representation, that I had solve my issues with the IRS. The billing department harassed and threatened me, said you know Ronni Deutch is an attorney and that I didn't want to get on her bad side. They at first informed me they would send me my $500.00 dollars back. Then the billing department would call harassing me to pay more. I never got my $500.00 back because the billing department said they had to charge me for solving my tax issues. I mentioned to him that I was the one that didall the work, I never signed the legal document for Ronni Deutch's services so I shouldn't have been charged. Needless to say, I received a bill statinng they deducted the entire $500.00 and that I had no refund due. I though Ms. Deutch was a professional an honest person, but they were worst than my bill collectors, more harassing than the IRS. I fel I was robbed, my money stolen, and that my life would have been ruined if I made further complaints. They resolved nothing, I resolved my issues. I feel used, and abused by this firm.

• Pi
    pissed off at u Jan 14, 2011

I had tax problems, , i hired the Deutch team, , they truly are scammers!! the attorney i was dealing with at the time sounded like he was jacked up on xanax or volume at all times! i sent them a deposit check and i did receive a binder of such that i was to fill out, , , after a day or so i then received a letter from the Deutch office
    that said after reviewing your case, , we find it fit for you to pay back the irs in full, , well i never did send them back the filled out information, so how could they tell me after reviewing my case? i yelled at the same attorney that was assigned my case and i got my deposit money back.. that company is absolute trendy bull [censor].

• Di
    Disabled Father Jan 19, 2011

I feel for everyone here cause I was in the same situation with RLD. I read all of these complaints and was worried I was scammed. But after a few phone calls They told me it would take 30 days for a Refund and they were correct.

• Ca
    CaliBLUES Mar 17, 2011

I have to say this DONT MAKE NO SINCE!!! All of us have been taken by RLD I know that Jerry Brown now the Govenor of Cali has filled suit against RLD! Im trying to find out how to get involed NOW!!! Its REALLY SAD that people do this when others are in distress about IRS!!! Well people if we stand togahter the HARDER RLD will FALL...!!! CaliBLUES

• Ju
    just wondering????? Apr 21, 2011

Does anyone know who or where to make contact to get in on this lawsuit against RLD to possibly get a refund for money taken by this joke of a tax firm? Back in 2008 when they said that they were no longer representing me due to the fact i couldnt fill out their forms they wanted for my buisness profits and loss, clearly because i did not own or operate a buisness. For almost 7 months this went back and forth with them, tried writing and calling and they kept sending the wrong forms to me and said it needed to be filled out. Then one day got the notice that they had stopped their representation of me. Finally hired a private accountant and he got my taxes straightened out, and he couldnt believe the money i paid to RLD and what they were trying to get me to do made no sense to him for my tax situation. I had talked to a friends lawyer about the misrepresentation of this firm and if there was anything i could do to get my $2000 back, but he had told me i would be spending just as much, if not more to hire a lawyer to sue to get the money back, which i could also sue for his fees, but it wouldnt be a garauntee to win going against a big firm like RLD. If anyone can offer advice, it would be much ablidged.

madsister Jun 09, 2011

My sister hired Roni Deutch and paid a large amount of money to her and the IRS denied the paperwork the RD sent in. She would like to know if there is a class action lawsuit against Roni Deutch if so we would like some information on it so we can join. Any information will be appreciated [protected]@yahoo.com

Join Me Aug 24, 2016

August 2010, my husband and I were facing a tax levy that we knew we could not afford. I told him to look into tax attorneys and he decided to retain the Roni Deutch firm. Not only did they advertise falsely but they continue to lie to us on a daily basis. They told my husband that they would stop wage garnishments while we went through the process of working with the IRS. They never contacted the IRS or either of our employers payroll depts. On 09/24/10 about 75% of my bi-weekly paycheck was garnished by the IRS. He immediately called the Deutch office and was told, oh give us the payroll dept. info (which they had because they had 3 of my pay stubs) and we will contact them right away to stop further garnishments. My payroll dept was never contacted. They also told my husband that he did not have to worry about the IRS garnishing his pay because they only take from 1 spouse per month and it is the spouse with the lesser pay. Well, low and behold, 6 days later the IRS garnished over half of my husband'spaycheck . He only gets paid once per month so the remaing amount was only enough to pay our rent for the month of October. He contacted Deutch's office again and was told oh well, there are no guarantees, just make sure you pay your $279 payment by 10/08/10. Not only did they not contact the IRS or ourpayroll depts but the information they were going to present to the IRS was incorrect. They showed us having a large positive cash flow, had our income too high and left out several of our monthly payments. They said no this is correct so why don't you give us a verbal authorization to make a monthly payment arrangement with the IRS. It should be $100 or less per month. They then told my husband if we didn't have the $279 payment, we need to pay them at least $200 by 10/08/10.

The IRS was not contacted until 10/01/10 after my husband complained to Deutch's office again about their failure to follow through with our contract with them.

I have filed with the BBB and the California Attorney General's Office. Deutch will not get one more penny from us!!

Maryanne Lemon Bancroft Apr 16, 2019

My husband and I were getting threatening letters from the IRS. We had been making them monthly payments for 3 years and then they froze our bank account. We had 3 small children all under the age of 7 with no cash on hand and our bank account frozen! Can't buy groceries, gas, anything with a frozen account! After attempting to work with the IRS, which didn't work, we saw Roni Lynn Deutch's commercial. We called and they ASSURED us that they could help us. After collecting somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500, and months and mounds of paperwork later, the IRS told us that we still owed them the same amount as before plus more penalties and interest. Roni's firm then "resigned" as our legal assistants and told us that they couldn't help us anymore. Of course Roni's firm had no problem collecting her money. The last letter we received from her office was so threatening. Wish I could get my $3500 back plus penalties and interest!!