USA Locksmith Complaints & Reviews

USA LocksmithCOMPLETE RIP OFF, OVERPRICED, SHODDY LOCKS

3 locks changed, 2 deadbolts, one knob type lock, all keyed the same. $300. later, only one of the locks seems to work properly although all three are in constant need of having screws tightened just to keep the lock in the door.
I located this so-called locksmith from a local yellow pages, the address listed is on a street less than 5 minutes from my home. I was in a hurry, so this appealed to me. After at least a 2 hour wait, the "locksmith" showed up and informed me that he was out of North Houston. I am no where near North Houston, I am south of the city and not even close to South Houston!
One of the deadbolts is completely useless as it is in a french door with glass and locked, OR unlocked the key has to remain in the door because it will not come out! This is useless, any intruder could easily break the glass in the door and unlock it.
The knob lock has NEVER worked properly, it has to be messed with to simply turn to lock or unlock from inside. Normally, when the little gadget is facing upwards, your door is locked, not so with this lock, sometimes it is the sideways angle. These people are crooks and I so wish I had began my complaint campaign the day I realized how badly they had ripped me off.

USA LocksmithDidn't fix anything

Horrible people and very unprofessional showed up 4 hours later assured that he was gonna fix my transponder key for my vechile he was sitting for two hours and couldn't even make the key, he actually got it stuck in the ignition, he told me the whole car shut down and got stuck he didn't even know how to boost the car let alone make a key. He got so nervus he thought he shut down my security system that runs the car he ran and pulled off asking for money. I responded for what you messed up my car. Then I called the company they lied and said they didn't send anyone to my home I was heated then I responded I have your messages on my phone saying I'm doing another job will be there in 30 mins so for the wait, and also wrote down your lisence plate because the man seemed weird to me any way and I also mentioned I will take you to court if I have to he changed his tune real fast and he was like I'm sorry will have our manger call you I'm the morning to settle this. I had my friend boost my car and the key came out. They were so dumb they couldn't even do that and they wanted me to pay 400 for that? I just didn't want to deal with those crooks anymore I was happy he didn't mess up my security system so I had to call the local locksmith to fix his mess and the man told me thier a bunch of scam artists and it happened to 3 people he knew they come by in an unmarked vechile that should of Bren the first sign that USA locksmith Is not legit company, the man who had to fix my key had the name all over the van and they are reputable. He mad my key in 15 mins my car started right up. Good thing USA didn't ruin my car but I learned my lesson.

USA LocksmithFraudulent business practices

Over the phone they told us it would be $55 plus hourly to let us into our apartment. We locked ourselves out. We waited over an hour for them to show up and really needed to get into our apartment at that point. This is part of how they get you. They then charged us $350 dollars for 10 minutes of work to let us back into our apartment.

They know if they tell you the real price you will not use them. They also know that after you have waited you will be desperate to get into your home/car/business and will not have a choice but to pay their outrageous fees. USA Locksmith s is a "referral service" but they processed the payment. The local name was Ridgewood Locksmith (NY, not NJ). Once we told him that we were going to pay with credit and not cash he charged us $50 more.

USA LocksmithPrice Skam

I searched for a locksmith on google after locking my keys in my Jeep last week. I called usa locksmith because they said they were servicing the bellaire, galleria area. I called and recieved the quote of $39.50 to come out and $25 for labor. I was told the locksmith would call me and he did with in about 20 minutes. The locksmith was here fast. He used an air pump that resembled a blood pressure cuff, he put in two spots on my passenger door to get it slightly ajar. Then he used a small claw to pull up my lock. It took less than a minute before he had my door open. I was impressed until he charged me $125. I told him that's not what I was quoted so he gave me a number to customer service. I called them that night and was told I would have to call during business hours. I have not been able to get a hold of them since. Complete rip off!

USA LocksmithScammed

This company scammed us into paying 593.85 for drilling out locks that they said were broken (and were not), and installing new locks (which were the most expensive they had). After I told them that I would not have chosen the most expensive locks if given the choice, the customer svc. rep. told me that he would refund me 60.00 (and my bank said he never did). We called them and asked them to remove the locks and refund us our money at least just for the locks, and that we would cut our losses with the 230.00 charge for drilling out the locks, and they refused to give us our money back, saying that their 90 days work guarantee was whatever they interpreted it to be.

• Ca
    Carrie May 21, 2008

We accidentally locked ourselves out of our apartment by manually locking the doorknob. When a locksmith came out to this company to respond to our "locked out" call, he removed the key that was stuck in the top lock, and then said right away that the top lock was busted without even trying to open it (pick it). He said both locks were broken and he would have to drill them out. I asked him how much that would cost, figuring we did not have a choice if we wanted to get into the apartment, and he said that the costs start at 75.00. I asked him to tell me what it would be total, and he said he would not know until he figured out exactly what needed to be done. I left the room for a few minutes and came back and the whole job was finished, and he wrote me out a bill for 593.85. He explained that he had had to hurry, because there was a woman with a baby locked in the car (which I discovered one of their service people had told somebody else who complained in this site!). I paid it, thinking that this must be the exorbitant but standard cost for this sort of service. Later, I researched the cost of locks, realized that the 127.00 and 143.00 that was charged for the top and bottom locks (respectively) was exorbitant, and after talking to a customer service rep. at the company, was told that those were on the high end and that the locksmiths are supposed to give you a range of options. After I explained that we would not have chosen the most expensive locks given the choice, the customer service rep. took 60.00 off the cost of the locks. After speaking to my bank, I later found out that they never even took off this fee, as they promised they would.

At this point, we thought that the locksmith was being truthful and that the locks were broken, and were planning to ask our landlord to pay for the cost, considering that we were not able to open the top lock of the apartment on the very first day we were moving in. The following day, we spoke to the landlord, who informed us that he had just replaced both locks and checked them three times before we moved in.

We called USA Locksmith & explained what our landlord had told us and that we believed we may not have even needed to have new locks installed. We asked that they come and take off the locks they installed and told them that we would like our money back for those locks, citing the 90-day guarantee on the bill. We said that we would cut our losses and just wanted them to remove the locks and refund us for that portion of the bill, and we would not contest the 55.00 service call and the 230.00 emergency lock out fee.

The customer service representative, Richard Lawson, told us that he would not have anybody come out and would not refund us any portion of the cost, and that he decided what the "All work is guaranteed for 90 days" and to him it just meant that if the locks didn't function, they would repair them. He said he could interpret the guarantee however he wanted because it was his guarantee. He refused to take off the locks and refund us any of our money. Next, we looked online and realized there are many entries with similar stories to ours. Please save yourself the headache and money and don't use this company. It is clear that they have scammed people in similar ways in many different situations.

• St
    Steve May 21, 2008

Please join a civil class action against this company. They have scammed many people out of money, they say that they are installing top quality locks without giving you the choice for cheaper locks and end up giving you extremely cheap locks (Guard Security). Multiple attorney generals in various states have sued them, they are being investigated by the Better Business Bureau, and the Locksmith Association has tried, to no avail, to get phone companies to stop giving out their information when people call 411. To have your name added to the civil suit as a victim, call Allied Locksmiths of Maryland at 410.556.6250. The owner is organizing the suit.

• Dm
    Dman Jul 28, 2008

These guys (USA Locksmiths) are the biggest rip-offs around. They charged us $149.50 to cut a $26 lock off a scooter which took 3mins to cut. They charged $39.50 just to come out and my scooter was located 1.5 miles from their supposed location of 2 Watertown Rd, in Watertown Ma. I drove out to the location, to find a pizza place at that address. The additional $110.00 was the charge for cutting the lock off. COMPLETELY REDICULOUS! I was actually out of town when the service was being carried out. My girlfriend didn’t realize how much at all something like this would be and paid the guy because she felt unsafe standing alone with him at the location. He didn’t tell her beforehand that it would be that much yet when I called the company he works for they say that all their locksmiths are to let the customers know how much it will be before performing the service. This was not the case here! I have since called the locksmith directly and he’s hung up on my twice! Just from me asking, “how do you justify charging $149 to cut a $26 dollar lock that took you 3mins to do?” I could have bought a lock cutter at Home Depot for $40 and cut it myself if I knew it would have cost me over three times the amount to have them do it. So, I called the company he works for at the (617) 477-0294 (USA Locksmiths) which is actually listed as “24 Hour A Locksmith.” Such a dishonest operations! They have just been giving me the run around for days now. Every other locksmith I’ve called since quoted me a price of $40 to have the same thing done. Do yourself a favor and DON’T DO BUSNESS with these people. They all are thieves and liers!!! I've talked to a Lisa and a Brian in costumer service. Brian is apparently a supervisor who has directly lied to me on several occations. They don't want to do the right thing as a company, they want to hire Shady people to do Shoty work for outragous prices. They aren't even a local place, they just seem to buy up local number all over the US and port them back to their main number I think is located in NJ at 1-800-721-5131. Richard Lawson who apparently is the manager is supposed to be calling me back for 5 days now. I'm sure I'll never receive that call just like I've never received any of the others. I just want to tell my story and let people know that these guys are bad news and something needs to happen with shutting them down.

• Un
    Unlock-ey Aug 01, 2008

These people ripped me off too..$592.78 for getting locked out.

• De
    deb Sep 24, 2008

NEVER EVER EVER USE a locksmith company that answers USA Locksmith. We were locked out of our car. They couldn't even give an estimate as to how much it would cost to get in (this was a '95 - easy to open) - only that there was a service call fee of $39.95 + labor. The labor (for a 5 MINUTE JOB) was $160... Because it was my young son with no credit cards or checks, he had to call me to pay and we were stuck paying... ridiculous. google search for locksmith locally listed 8 - at least 7 of those were USA Locksmith... WHAT A TOTAL SCAM!

• Us
    USALocksmiths.com Scam Nov 24, 2008

These people charged $200 after quoting $55, and then used threatening behavior against my wife to make her pay cash and sign a waiver saying she had no complaints. USALocksmiths.com is a total scam using thieves who take advantage of women on their own. They are complete fraudsters and should be shut down.

• Al
    alleysha Nov 30, 2008

got locked out accidentall manually turned the knob and forgot to put my house key in my pocket, it was sunday: paid 55 just for them to come and 197.00 for him just to drill a hole in the knob it is winter. s247 for what 15 minutes yes i know it was a sunday at 9:00 am and off hours etc. God is not sleeping he was not asleep when all those banks go broke can u imagine the millions they rob from ppl, they had no reason to loose right they went to school for this big wigs with big degrees. Dont worry usa locksmith you wil get yours next.

• De
    DebRey Mar 17, 2009

I was on my way to a training class and clients of mine were locked out of their new house because the agent came and got the combo lockbox before my client could get there. We felt that we should pay for a locksmith so I looked one up on my web browser on my phone and thought I was calling a local company. I was told it would be $39.00 for the service call and $45.00 for each lock that needed changing. I asked about having them rekeyed. I explained that my client could not get in the house and she had painters there waiting to get in to paint. I gave them my credit card based on these figures and thought at the most I would be out around $150.00.

I was in my class and I get a call from someone named Brian who tells me the bill will be over $500.00, I was floored and I was helpless. My employee talked to the technician at the site and told him to take his locks and leave - he said he couldn't take them off because then they would be used merchandise. My client asked the guy to stop the work and leave and he would not. I told Brian I objected with the charge, but he said he would be charging it anyway and he had my cedit card number. I told him that is not what I agreed to and I would be taking it up with American Express. Well I took it up with American Express and they came down on his side - I was so mad! I feel totally taken advantage of and ripped off - These people are crooks! DON"T USE THEM! If I can help fight them I will.

• Ke
    keyman424 Dec 31, 2009

You need to file a complaint with your attorney general. That is what these types of companys do. Take your money. Many of their employees are here from the middle east just to hit and run and rip off a consumer. These are what the industry calls phony locksmiths. they advertise under so many names and phony addresses it is almost impossible to find a real local locksmith.

File a complaint with your AG office

USA LocksmithHorrible Service

USA Locksmith is horrible! I called and they took my request, sent my phone a text with information in it (which I get texts but what if my phone couldn't and I got charged for them) at no time did they ask if they could. Then I tell them on the phone please have the guy call me before he comes out. (I was shopping prices) Well the guy shows up from USA Locksmith and he hands me a pad and I was like well I wanted prices before you came out. He then proceeds to tell me that it's going to be $150.00 I told him no, Pop a Lock does it for $48, that's why I told the company to call first. He said he doesn't drive for free. Well I didn't ask your company for pricing before you drove for no reason! Then he proceeds to yell at me and then says he will do it for $80, which I then was mad and upset so said go ahead...

He tries for 17 min and can't get it open... He says for $15 more dollars I will try this special tool and it will get it... I say ok. He gets in his truck and drives off, leaving me completly stranded in downtown Houston!!!

So thankfully Pop a Lock showed up and opened it up in less than 3 minutes!!! $48.00 OMG They are the best! Pop A Lock saved me and did it cheap and quick. USA LOCKSMITH IS HORRIBLE SERVICE!!!

Alicia Wilson ~ Stranded in
Houston, Texas

USA LocksmithRIPPED OFF BY USA LOCKSMITH

I was in my class and I get a call from someone named Brian who tells me the bill will be over $500.00, I was floored I was helpless. My employee talked to the technician at the site and told him to take his locks and leave - he said he couldn't take them off because then they would be used merchandise. My client asked the guy to stop the work and leave and he would not. I told Brian I objected with the charge, but he said he would be charging it anyway and he had my cedit card number. I told him that is not what I agreed to and I would be taking it up with American Express. Well I took it up with American Express and they came down on his side - I was so mad! I feel totally taken advantage of and ripped off - These people are crooks! DON"T USE THEM! If I can help fight them I will.

• Rd
    rdetaranto Dec 08, 2009

This company is all over the country, and they sub-contract locksmiths to do their work. Be careful when calling those full page yellows page ads.

• Br
    Bronxie Feb 16, 2010

CALL YOUR LOCAL ATTORNEY GENERAL!

USA Locksmith — outrageous price & sloppy workmanship

Do NOT use this company for lockout services! I locked myself out of my home and a friend contacted USA...

USA LocksmithRip Off

We were moving from Germantown, MD to Plano, IL when I got locked out of our new house. I grabbed the rental car key and not all of my keys to move my car into the garage. As my husband was not flying in until the next day, I needed a locksmith to get into the new house. Since I was desparate and did not know the area, I had sprint mobile pick the first locksmith they could find which was usalocksmiths. What a mistake that was. First, their dispatch could not find our house and was asking for roads around it of which I had no clue since we were just moving to a new state. Second, they stated that they assigned me a technician which would be there in about 45minutes which was about 45 minutes after I had first called. When that 45 minutes was up, they called stated that the technician claimed to not have received the job order and they were sending out a technician that was much closer but the lockout fee was $255.00 when they originally quoted that it was going to be $55 plus labor. Soon after getting off the phone with them that time, that technician called stating that he was at least 60 minutes away and had no clue where the house was as they just stated a route number the house was off of rather than a street address. I agreed to the later time since I really had no choice. When the locksmith showed up, he looked at the lock and stated that it was a high security lock and therefore he had to drill the lock out. This was a lock leading from the garage to the house and doubted it was a high security lock. However being female, alone and in a strange town, I agreed. After he drilled out the lock, he told me just drilling out the lock was $255 so that was the only thing he was planning on doing in any case. He installed a new door lock which cost $189.00. He rekeyed the lock so it matched the front door. All in all, it cost over $600 dollars to get back in the house which is exorbiant. I am originally from the DC area so I know when I am getting screwed. Unfortunately, USA Locksmith does not realize that I have worked in law for the past 10 years and will vigorously pursue this. I have already launched my first tirade at sprint for having the listing in their service for such fraudulent services. I urge you never to use their services.

LELAND IMM Aug 05, 2008

HOW TO TAKE ACTION AGAINST "PHONY LOCKSMITHS"
    Below are links to various news outlets, consumer protection agencies and state Attorney General offices addressing the issue of "phony locksmiths". The story is familiar in many states: an out-of-state company hires a number of unscrupulous individuals in the area to sub-contract its work using assumed business names, fake addresses and phone numbers. Many times consumers have been over-sold, under serviced, or just plain lied to!

The Illinois Attorney General filed criminal charges against a New York locksmith operation for setting up phony storefronts with unlicensed individuals practicing locksmithing that lead consumers to believe they were dealing with local companies. The action was successful, and the company was ordered to pay thousands in restitution, to cease operations and to no longer do business in the state under a new name or any of the 25 different names the company had been using in local telephone directories!

ALOA encourages locksmiths who are facing this same situation to go to their state's Attorney General who can take the appropriate legal action against these fraudulent companies. ALOA recently sent a letter to all Attorneys General urging them to pursue this matter in their state. For a copy of that letter, Click Here . To contact your state's Attorney General, go to Click Here .

ALOA is also empowering you to take immediate action when these fraudulent operations show up in your city. Click Here for a Press Release that you may send to your local print and broadcast news media outlets. Make sure you put in the date and the name of your city in the highlighted areas.

For further assistance, contact ALOA Legislative Manager, Tim McMullen at 214-819-9733 x300 or [email protected]

Click here to view the Phony Locksmith Press Room with various reports of Phony Locksmiths

LELAND IMM Aug 05, 2008

Search Contact Us Find a BBB Site Map Text Size HomeFor Consumers

For Businesses

For Charities and Donors

About Us

News Center

Better Business BureauStart With TrustI want to...Read recent newsAccess the news archiveFind press contactsLearn about the BBB Find information you’re looking for. News CenterPress Releases

News Archive

Media Contacts

Tips Sponsored by Clearpoint Financial Solutions

Presidents' Blog

Home News Center BBB Warns Consumers of Nationwide Locksmith Swindle :You may have been a victim and not even know it
    7/10/2007

Arlington, VA – July 10, 2007 –Better Business Bureau (BBB) today is warning consumers to beware of untrustworthy locksmith companies that are ripping off consumers across the country.

Victim complaints to BBB reveal that several locksmith companies, all using similar methods, are significantly overcharging consumers, charging consumers for unnecessary services, using intimidation tactics, and failing to give refunds or respond to consumer complaints.

“Ironically, these companies operate under names like ‘Dependable Locksmith’ but in reality they exploit the vulnerable situation of consumers who are locked out of their house or car, ” said Steve Cox BBB spokesperson. “We’ve found that some locksmiths have made taking advantage of consumers’ misfortune part of their business model.”

Consumers are quoted a reasonable price over the phone but when the locksmith arrives – typically in an unmarked vehicle – he demands significantly more money than originally quoted, often only accepting cash.

A complaint from Cleveland, OH, where Dependable Locksmith was operating under the name “Superb Solutions, ” alleges the company quoted fees of $39 and $84 for separate jobs, but the bill ended up at $471, which included add-on fees such as a $65 breaking in fee and a $58 fee to uninstall old locks.

Another locksmith contractor fleecing consumers is Liberty Locksmith. Similar to Dependable Locksmith, it poses as a local locksmith and runs full-page yellow pages ads with multiple phone and address listings. The phone numbers appear to be local, but connect to a national call center in New York, while the addresses end up belonging to other established businesses in the local area, or are simply non-existent.

Liberty Locksmith had been a BBB member in Tulsa, OK, but during normal BBB member validation processes, it was discovered that the addresses provided by the company were false. In June 2007, BBB terminated the membership of Liberty Locksmith for providing false information in its membership application and providing misleading advertisements to the public.

Like Dependable, Liberty Locksmith uses common cons such as quoting one price over the phone, but then charging significantly more on site.

“These companies are very good at posing as trustworthy locksmiths, ” said Mr. Cox. “Before you find yourself in the unfortunate position of being locked out of your car or house, do your research and find a truly dependable locksmith in your area. Ask around and always check with your BBB first to find reputable businesses.”

Consumers who feel that they’ve been taken advantage of by Dependable Locksmith, Liberty Locksmith or others, can go to www.bbb.org to file a complaint with their local BBB.

Reporters and journalists may contact Alison Preszler, CBBB’s Media Relations Specialist or call 703-247-9376 to request an interview or additional information.

About BBB
    BBB is an unbiased non-profit organization that sets and upholds high standards for fair and honest business behavior. Businesses that earn BBB accreditation contractually agree and adhere to the organization’s high standards of ethical business behavior. BBB provides objective advice, free business BBB Reliability ReportsTM and charity BBB Wise Giving ReportsTM, and educational information on topics affecting marketplace trust. To further promote trust, BBB also offers complaint and dispute resolution support for consumers and businesses when there is difference in viewpoints. The first BBB was founded in 1912. Today, 126 BBBs serve communities across the U.S. and Canada, evaluating and monitoring nearly 4 million local and national businesses and charities. Please visit www.bbb.org for more information about BBB.

Presidents' Blog

Insuring your remodel

Sponsored by

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseTrademarks © 2008 Council of Better Business Bureaus

USA LocksmithPrice Scam

I went to yahoo local to find a local locksmith to just cut the lock off my mailbox. It rusted and the key broke inside. Most phone numbers of locksmiths listed in yahoo local were transferred to USA Locksmith and not the company that was listed. I called twice and was told BOTH time that it was $39.50 for the service call and another 30 something for a lock. But I didn't want a lock, only for it to be cut off. The guy they sent out was fine, working out of his mini van, but wrote me a bill for $80. I wrote on the bill that I was quoted $39.50 to cover myself and that I didn't agree to the payment. I called the company and was hung up on. I called the next day and the "manager" Richard basically said too bad. I told him I was putting in dispute with the credit card company and he told me "go ahead, they work for us too." NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!!!

LELAND IMM Jul 31, 2008

HOW TO TAKE ACTION AGAINST "PHONY LOCKSMITHS"

LELAND IMM Jul 31, 2008

USA Locksmith USA Locksmith ripped me off four times the price they gave on the phone... Horrible customer service... Liars Atlanta, Other Cities Georgia, other states
    USA Locksmith
    Submitted: 6/18/2008 5:21:29 PM
    Modified: 6/18/2008 5:22:00 PM
    Jasminev
    Atlanta, Georgia
    USA Locksmiths fooled me and never told me that they will charge me four times the price they gave me on the phone. $207 is not the amount you pay for a simple locksmith to unlock your car. It was a complete ripoff at the time I desperately needed someone to fairly help me not add to my problems. I wish they go to hell for ripping off a student like that who lives on every single penny.
    They also have a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE customer service. Incredibly rude people.
    After a thousand calls and wasting thousands of minutes waiting for ANYONE to speak to me(they passed the calls to each other all the time), they agreed(with maximum rudeness) to give only $40 sent back to my account.
    and guess what?? THEY NEVER DID !!
    LIARS LIARS!
    It is so unfair to rip off someone in desperate need like that.
    I hope you will never experience 'business' with them because you will terribly regret it.
    Jasminev
    Atlanta, Georgia
    U.S.A.

• Ro
    Robert Aug 16, 2008

This type of locksmith fraud has hit Phoenix big time. And I, a legitimate locksmith company, have been working to educate consumers. You can see the information I've gathered at http://www.acmelocksinc.com/phoenix-locksmith-fraud.html .

• Ta
    Taharee Jackson Aug 25, 2008

DO NOT CALL USA LOCKSMITH! THEY HAVE HELD MY DEBIT CARD HOSTAGE AND CHARGED ME NEARLY $600!!!

On Saturday, August 16, 2008, I called USA Locksmith to help me with re-entry to my apartment. I had been participating in a service project in Africa for 2 weeks, and on the return flight the airline lost my luggage, which contained my house and car keys. I was quoted $55 for the fee to let me in by both RICHARD LAWSON and the technician named ABRUM.

When the phony technician arrived in an unmarked blue van, he told me that my simple, low-security locks could not be picked. He then DESTROYED both locks on my door and quoted me the already outrageous price of $150 to replace both locks. I was therefore expected to pay $210 for the total job, and the the TECHNICIAN HELD MY CREDIT CARD HOSTAGE AND CHARGED ME $577.80!!! I NEVER authorized the charge, never signed a written bill or receipt, and to this day don't have any documentation! To top that, I wasn't even given keys to one of the locks on my door!

I experienced the same evasive, blatant hang-up, horrendous customer service from RICHARD LAWSON during my many attempts to contact the company. I have had to call the police, the Better Business Bureau, Bank of America, the Governor's Office for Consumer Affairs, and every news station in Atlanta.

DO NOT CALL USA LOCKSMITH, and please share this with EVERYONE you know. No one deserves to fall victim to this scam, or to suffer any inconvenience as a result.

LELAND IMM Oct 19, 2008

BBB Warns Consumers of Nationwide Locksmith Swindle You may have been a victim and not even know it. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) today is warning consumers to beware of untrustworthy locksmith companies that are ripping off consumers across the country. Victim complaints to the BBB reveal that several locksmith companies, all using similar methods, are significantly overcharging consumers, charging consumers for unnecessary services, using intimidation tactics, and failing to give refunds or respond to consumer complaints. “Ironically, these companies operate under names like ‘Dependable Locksmith’ but in reality they exploit the vulnerable situation of consumers who are locked out of their house or car, ” said Edward Johnson, President of the BBB. “We’ve found that some locksmiths have made taking advantage of consumers’ misfortune part of their business model.” Complaints about locksmith services to the 114 BBBs serving the U.S. increased almost 75 percent from 2005 to 2006, and have continued to come in steadily during the first half of this year. The BBB has identified Dependable Locksmith – which operates under more than a dozen different names – as a particularly disreputable locksmith. This company poses as a local locksmith in cities across the country and advertises in the yellow pages using local phone numbers and fake local addresses. A consumer might think they’re dealing with a local locksmith but their phone call is actually connected to a call center located in the Bronx borough of New York City. Consumers in the mid­Atlantic region are quoted a reasonable price over the phone but when the locksmith arrives – typically in an unmarked vehicle – he demands significantly more money than originally quoted, often only accepting cash. A complaint where Dependable Locksmith was operating under the name “Superb Solutions, ” alleges the company quoted fees of $39 and $84 for separate jobs, but the bill ended up at $471, which included add­on fees such as a $65 breaking in fee and a $58 fee to uninstall old locks. Another complainant reported that the locksmith sent to let her into her car demanded she pay twice the price quoted over the phone. The locksmith offered to drive her to an ATM to get cash – feeling unsafe the victim refused. The victim was ultimately forced to write a check made out personally to the locksmith as he would not let her into her car until she did so. She cancelled payment on the check the next morning, but eventually filed a police report after the locksmith harassed her with continuous phone calls about payment. The BBB has also heard many complaints from victims who say they were charged for unnecessary services. For example, complainants suspect locksmiths sent over by Dependable Locksmiths of pretending they couldn’t simply pick the lock so that they could charge more and install all new locks in homes.
    Some of Dependable Locksmith’s aliases include, Superb Solutions, Locksmith 24 Hour, Inc., USA Total Security, Priceline Locksmith, and S.O.S. Locksmith. Two other locksmith contractors fleecing consumers are Basad, Inc. – which operates under more than 50 names nationwide, such as A­1 Locksmith Service, A­1 24 Hour Locksmith, A­1 Lock & Key Locksmith, and AAA Locksmith 24 Hour – and Liberty Locksmith. Similar to Dependable Locksmith, they pose as local locksmiths and run full­page yellow pages ads with multiple phone and address listings. The phone numbers appear to be local, but connect to national call centers such as Liberty’s in New York City, while the addresses end up belonging to other established businesses in the local area, or are simply non­existent. “These companies are very good at posing as trustworthy locksmiths, ” said Mr. Johnson. “Before you find yourself in the unfortunate position of being locked out of your car or house, do your research and find a truly dependable locksmith in your area. Ask around and always check with the BBB first to find reputable businesses.” If you feel you’ve been taken advantage of by Dependable Locksmith, Liberty Locksmith, Basad. Inc., or others, please contact the BBB to file a complaint, or do so online at www.mybbb.org. # # #

• Johanna Taylor Oct 22, 2010

I am sure that you people have had a real bad experience but just to share my experience as it was really good to hire services of Run Local Locksmiths technicians.
    I went off locking the door inside out by mistake as the new technology door of high security, I called one of the local artisans and they said we can not give this services as this technology is not with us .
    I placed two guards on the door that night and tried another artisans they replied in the same manner. I called Run Local Locksmith as they operate 24hours*7nights and even on holidays. I called them at night around 12am and the technicians was available at my place in 15mins he checked the door and replaced the lock in 25mins with the high proficiency and effectiveness.
    I was so happy and delighted with the services that the charge of $450 seemed too reasonable to me. I believe when it comes to services no one can be as good as them . The company and the technicians are wonderful at there work.

USA LocksmithLock replacement

Contacted USA LOCKSMITH to change the locks on my property. Service tech spoke fine English until he came to the property and it was convenient for him to not understand English and my requests regarding rekeying the property rather than changing out the locks. He certainly used the language barrier to his advantage and the fact that I was female. He did not clearly tell me what my charges would be. And they were no where near what I was quoted over the phone by the office staff. My hands were tied once he had the existing locks removed. The tech just kept insisting the he "give me goooood price!" What a joke. He so far overcharged me it is disgusting. I paid nearly $1500 for 4 knob and deadbolt combinations and one knob lock. I was TRIPLE CHARGED!!! I paid him with a check and after he left decided I got burned so I put a stop payment on the check and called the company. ( I even had my rental agent and a class A contractor speak to him before he left regarding the over charges. He responded with offering a business card. ) Eventually a manager called back and we renegotiated for a "discounted rate" of $900. After our discussion it was agreed that I would send a check to P.O. Box 1140 Hackensack, NJ 07602. Don't you know they sent the tech back to the property. I would not have answered the door if I knew it was him. He was very insistent that I write him a new check then and there. Foolishly, I rewrote a check and paid him. Of course he tried to tell me a different amount and tried to add additional tax. I refused. He became confrontational and threatening. As a woman alone in the property, decided it was best to pay him and get him out for my own safety. Knowing I was still over paying I was on limited time so got him out. A COMPLETE RIP OFF. He installed knock off locks made in China. All were keyed the same ( I saved the boxes the prove this) yet he charged a fee for keying alike. Charged $125 for a lock out fee that most locksmiths charge about $15-35. I have made multiple attempts to find a corporate office to file a complaint. To no avail. I do not think one exists, yet there are numerous locksmiths that operate under this "mother" company all over the nation, yet use different business names. SCREAMS SCAM ALL OVER IT!!! You have been warned. Sure wish I was, but circumstances required me to move forward. DO NOT USE USA LOCKSMITH or any affiliate whose phone line dumps into USA LOCKSMITH!!!

LELAND IMM Oct 19, 2008

USA LocksmithRip off, potential for car damage

I was connected to this company when I used the Yell0w Pages on my Verizon cell phone to find a locksmith. I had locked myself out of my home and car. It appeared that I was calling a local locksmith, but the person that came out was not from the local area. The dispatcher told me that the cost was $55 plus a service fee. However, the service fee was $55, and the cost of unlocking my car was $189. I was told that that was because it was an emergency and because it was on a weekend. I paid $244 for a service that would not normally cost more than $75, even if it is an emergency, even if it is on a weekend. Gimme a break.

The whole thing was very shady and strange. The technician arrived in a private vehicle, not one bearing a business name. My keys were in my car, so instead of using a jimmy bar, he slid two little air bags between the door and the jamb and pumped them up so that he could pull the lock on the door. While he was doing that I asked him if there was a chance that that would damage the car and he just said, "Of course." So when he shut the door again, the door was clearly bent, which I pointed out. So he opened it and bent it back manually. It appeared to be normal, but I'm going to take it to the car wash and make sure it doesn't leak.

My suggestion: DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. I was stuck without any other choice, but if you have a choice avoid them. Take down a few numbers of local locksmiths and keep them handy in case you lock yourself out.

USA LocksmithScam and cheating

When you call the 800# they tell you that the service call is $39.50, then when you ask about the service cost they tell you that you have to work that out with the technician that comes... He came and looked at the lock. When he handed me the claim receipt, all it had was the $39.50 charge listed... he opened the door, took the receipt book then went back to his truck and came back with the lock out fee of $179.99!!! Then asked if I was using my credit card, I said yes... when back to his truck again and came back with another charge of $15 for tax... advised him that Maryland doesn't tax on labor... he said they did... I was at a disadvantage... it was late and I was locked out with three young children on my front porch... the technician obviously saw this... a reputable company would have a set amount and should be able to give you a cost range, at the very least.

LELAND IMM Jul 04, 2008

Family says they were overcharged for lock

11:33 PM PDT on Thursday, July 3, 2008

By JESSE JONES / KING 5 News

Video: Family says they were overcharged for lock
    Larger screen E-mail this clip

EVERETT, Wash. - Martha Smith thought she was getting was a top-of-the-line lock, but experts say she got overcharged for a product that broke down very quickly.

Martha was in a jam. She was about to go on a European vacation when her son gave her some bad news.

"He told us that his keys were stolen and his house key was on it and it was missing, " she recalled.

Seh got online and found USAlocksmith.com.

"I looked at the site, it looked reputable, " she said.

They sent a locksmith who charged $60 for the service call and installation, plus $150 for a lock.

Find a good locksmith
    Northwest Locksmith Association

Associated Locksmiths of America
    A little over two months later, the key "justed turned, there was no clicking, the door wouldn't open at all."

The new lock was broken, so she called information from her cell phone.

"I just called the 555-1212 and asked for a locksmith, " she said. "Could they connect me with a locksmith? They did and it happened to be USA Locksmith."

The locksmith arrived and asked Martha if she had the original lock. Because her son's keys had meanwhile been found, she gave the old lock to the locksmith who installed the same old lock he took out a few months earlier - at a cost of $200.

"I'm very frustrated, " she said.

Martha wanted her money back, and after getting nowhere with the company she called Jesse.

We took that $150 lock to Jesse Black, vice president of the Northwest Locksmith Association and asked if this lock looked like a $150 lock.

"This looks like a $25 or $30 lock you can buy at Home Depot, " Black said.

USA Locksmith is based in New Jersey and dispatches locksmiths based in the Seattle area.

Black says to be careful using out-of-state companies.

"They will sell grade one or grade two deadbolts that are not up to standard, " he said.

After speaking with USA Locksmith, they agreed to pay Martha $150 to replace her shoddy lock with a better product.

The best way to find a good locksmith is to look before you need one and not when the pressure is on. If you are locked out of your house or car, it's best to go online and check with the Northwest Locksmith Association or the Associated Locksmiths of America.

It's your best bet to find a local and competent locksmith.

If you have a consumer concern, give Jesse a call toll-free at 877-51-JESSE or send an e-mail to [email protected] Print this story Add RSS Feeds Email this story Advertisement
    More Consumer News
    Family says they were overcharged for lock

• Fr
    fred Mar 05, 2009

These are nationwide scammers they use phony addresses, bait and switch tactics. The are Israelis. In all fairness to decent israelis, I think these are Israelis from Nigeria :)
    I would suggest filimg a complaint with attorney general in your state

USA Locksmith — Poor service!

I scheduled a change to a few locks on a property that I own. I inquired as to their rates for locks etc...

USA Locksmith — Price scam and unprofessional services

This company charged me $180.00 to unlock the front door of my third floor condo. After I reluctantly paid I...