Penguin Windows Complaints & Reviews

Penguin Windows — Changing Their Name AGAIN ... UGH

Penguin Windows changes their name AGAIN!!! How many times do they have to change it??? There...

Penguin Windowswhat a bunch of liars

Ok well I am writing this because I was one of the people who worked for penguin in Danvers and I wanted to let everyone know how well they treated there employees we are and was only expendable employees at there service all the time running leeds they drummed up by hoodwinking people at the stores shopping to get us in the door and yes they are good windows but I know there are comparable windows outthere at much lower price we had to bust our ### everyday to go and sell these windows sometimes driving over 1200 miles weekly and Saturdays was mandatory and you had to do that stupiid calls from in the house just so we could fake a discount we know fully before giving the price how low we can go before we even call .So what do you get for trying your best and doing the right thing ..Not even the courtsey of a phone call to explain what was happening with the company that just three weeks ago kicked off the year of the penguin and built all of our hopes up that we was going someplace .Well we was going someplace alright we was heading right to the unemployment line ...Thank you Penguin windows

Penguin Windowsrude saleswoman

the saleswoman that came to my house to give a free window estimate was extremely rude and unprofessional. She told me my husband had to be home in order for her to give me a presentation. I told her that I was the homeowner and that I was not legally married and that I was the one that made decisions regarding my home. She then asked me how long I had been together with my partner and some other personal questions regarding my relationship ( how unprofessional). She then tried to make me feel bad/stupid when she called her supervisor and said she would need to reschedule for another time when my boyfriend that I called husband would be home ( I call my partner my "husband" as we have been together for 28 years and I consider him to be my husband although we have not gone to a church to exchange vows to become socially accepted as husband and wife). The saleswoman's whole attitude was negative towards me. After she told me that she would not do the presentation unless he was home, she insisted and started to show me "just one quick sample" at which time I refused to listen to and asked her to leave. Being the pushy broad that she was, she asked if we could reschedule and I told her I could not do such a thing without asking my husband first. I believe her name was Rosemary and she had another woman with her (who was actually very polite). This occured in Plymouth MA on Aug. 7th. My phone number is [protected] if you have any questions. I had originally been approached at B.J.s Wholesale Store where they had offered me and pressured me to have a simple estimate given for new windows and then I would receive a $25.00 gift card to B.J.s. Since I have been in the need for new windows and I am not currently working I thought it would be no harm to get the estimate and then I could use the gift card to buy some food during this difficult financial time for my family. I thought wrong. I will be contacting B.J. s as well to tell them my feelings regarding Penguin Windows. Dawn Immar

• Gr
        GRRRRR! Aug 19, 2010

It's getting harder and harder to get anything free nowadays, eh? Maybe you'll have to actually rely on yourself to feed your family.

Penguin Windows — Buyer Beware!!! Do not even think about doing buisness with this company!

My wife and myself are expecting our first child and decided to replace the contractor grade windows in our...

Penguin WindowsDisregard

We had recieved an almost full set of windows which at the time was called Statewide. One of the sashes were broken within a week, We called and someone came out to look. We were then told that someone will be out to replace it soon, this never happened. Then we found out that they switched their name to Pengiun Windows. Their so-called lead Sales guy stated that it was due to an overwhelming amount of businesses called Statewide. Later just found out it was due to way too many law suits again them under the other name. Hmmm. So, then, my Husband accidentally busted out slider glass door, and the only was I was able to get these guys out here to look at it was to say I needed another slider door. This being true, I allowed the sales guy to come out. He stated that since we were repeat customers, they send out the sales managers. I really doubt this. Well, he took rough measurements, gave us a quote that was outrageous. He then called me the next day stating he needed my husbands financial info for our financing and would call me the next day. No call of course. No replies to my e-mails. One guy came out to measure, I was irrate, he said he would look into the issue and again, no phone calls. Then, finally we got a call for the service of the past issues and I laid into the gal on what had been happening. Poor gal, I felt bad but told her point blank that I do plan on getting the new slider door but never from their company. Someone is suppose to come out next Saturday to replace the broken slider doos and sash, we'll see. Never ever in my life will I pay for another window from these guys nor will I ever ever refer them.

• Pe
          PenguinWindowsCustomerService Jun 30, 2010

Dear LadyLawe,

I’m sorry to hear of the problem with your slider window. Everyone here at Penguin Windows wants to make sure our customers are extremely satisfied with their purchase.

It seems like it may be too late to win back your business on the slider, but I would greatly appreciate it if you would please call or email me so that we can learn from your experience? I would like to ensure no one else has to go through what you experienced.

Vaughn McCort
          Director of Operations
          Penguin Windows
          [protected]
          [email protected]

Penguin WindowsNon-performance

This company provides what appears to be a thorough and complete demonstration of a window, with claims that it will save you up to 40% on your heating and cooling bills. The guarantee that they use has a tiny disclaimer that they will reimburse you up to $ 500.00 if these windows do not perform as specified. I have had these windows installed for the last 2 or 3 years and saw NO CHANGE in my heating and cooling consumptions as a result of the installation.

These are very expensive windows and DO NOT PERFORM as you will be told.

DO NOT PURCHASE PENGUIN WINDOWS!! THEY DON'T WORK!!

• Ol
            Older Home Owner Mar 12, 2011

The only way that we avoided the previous complaints was that we had our own energy audit ( independent of then STATEWIDE ) and our original windows were so low quality that we had no where to go but UP. Will seriously be looking at our original contracts to see what the mark up was on our second set of OVERMEASURED windows . Aside from the exterior weather worn chip in one frame - they have performed as expected and that was our hope for an older New England home. A shame our first experience was not the "norm" thereafter.

Penguin WindowsSatisfactory Solution

Regarding my "Misrepresentation" complaint posted March 27, 2010. Penguin Windows met with us yesterday and within one hour we came to a satisfactory conclusion to all. There had been miscommunication as to what the substitute windows would be like versus those originally ordered due to Airport Zone soundproofing requirements in our area. Quality and appearance of the windows is very satisfactory, the wrong direction opening sliding door will be replaced, and the price has been satisfactorily renegotiateed.

It has been suggested to them that they put a disclaimer in their ads advising customers in some locales may not be able to get the original triple pane windows due to building codes in so9me cities.

We are now satisfied with what is to be completed, and the overall workmanship and withdraw our complaint.

Penguin WindowsMISREPRESENTATION

We contracted with Penguin Windows last August to have our existing triple pane aluminum framed windows replaced with Penguin's product. Though the price seemed high ($26, 000) the financing and monthly price arranged was acceptable and we were convinced by their demonstration and claims.
            On September 7th 2009 they arrived and began installation, They
            were 2/3 done on September 9th and we were generally satisfied with the product except for 2 narrow side windows on a bay window. For these they were installing just the glass panels held in place by wood frames, saying that the windows were too narrow to be made in their vinyl frames. (12-13" Wide) We advised that this was unsightly and unacceptable. While attempting to nail the framing in place they hit a knot or former nail and the new nails cracked the glass panels.
            Approximately 15-30 minutes after this a City of Des Moines building inspector drove by and observing them at work stopped to check the work and finding that they did not have a building permit, placed a "Stop Work" order on the job. (They had started work on a Tuesday and planned to be done by the end of the Thursday 3 days later, and didn't even consider that our city required a building permit.) After much negotiation by them (Penguin) it was also found that Penguin's product does not meet the City of Des Moines and Sea Tac Airport's soundproofing codes. Over the next 7 months, Penguin was forced by the city to negotiate with local window makers to come up with a product to meet the local codes. We were finally advised in December that they had agreed with a local manufacturer (Milgard) for replacements. A representative from Penguin then met with us and an agreement was signed that they would replace the windows that they had installed to date, (as soon as they were built) and if acceptable, would complete the job at the agreed terms. If we were not satisfied it was agreed that we would not be charged for the replacements. At that time, the critical factor was that the Milgard
            window frames would not have the same finish (Oak grain on inside of house) as the original ordered windows. They called us back approximately 2-3 weeks later to advise that the manufacturer would be able to use Penguin's framing materials after all so the windows would
            appear as we originally intended.
            On March 25 they arrived and began installation. They did have a building permit and posted it on the side of the house. The city of Des Moines inspector was scheduled to inspect the work and an open frame the following day to assure that the job was being done to their standards. However, shortly before the inspector arrived, I realized that the
            windows being installed were only double pane. I asked the building inspector about this and was told that the building code required that only double pane glass be used with a ½" space between, and that the insides filled with ARGON instead of the KRYPTON gas advertised by Penguin.
            Until this point, at no time were we ever advised that the windows would only be Double pane and filled with a different gas.
            A few hours later they began installing the final glass, a sliding door. The original door was 2 section with (looking out from the family room) the sliding portion to the right. The Drape opens from the right to the left. At the left side of the door is approximately 9" of wall then a 16" deep by 29" high dining counter. With the drape opened the gathered drapery extends about 7" beyond the edge of the glass. As they began installing the
            actual glass door panels I noted that they were installing the Fixed panel to the right and brought it to their intention. The installers double checked with their office and were advised that that was the way the door had been ordered and manufactured. This is entirely unsatisfactory as
            follows: 1. The gathered drapery thus obstructs almost half of the open doorway, This will result in undue wear and/or damage to the drape. 2. The useable unobstructed doorway is reduced to 13". 3. With chairs or stools at this counter the door pathway would be further obstructed. 4.
            The door opening from this side will result in cold air passing over the backs of anyone seated at the counter, and other air or wind passing across the counter and kitchen cooking surface. Even if the drapery rod could be reversed it would not resolve issues 2-4. Reviewing the original
            drawing that Penguin submitted to Des Moines, which did not come available to our attention until March 26, shows that the representative from Penguin had perpetuated this error. The door will have to be replaced with one opening the correct direction.
            We have refused to sign off on the final work until the sliding door is replaced and the final price renegotiated as we are not getting what was originally agreed to. The product and workmanship looks good but what was originally contracted at a particular price versus what we finally received was not what we expected nor was is ever properly explained as to what we could expect.
            I have just today reviewed their website and they continue to claim a 40% + savings in heating. (It appears to be in violation of the March Consent decree. In addition, nowhere in their advertising is any type of disclaimer that product as advertised may not be acceptable in some areas, such as the City of Des Moines.

• La
                LadyLawe Jun 12, 2010

I can't stand these guys! Penguin Windows personnell is so unprofessional. All except the one gal I spoke with over the phone the other day, she was very kind and understanding of my irritation.

Penguin WindowsHarrasment

Penguin Windows comes by my house monthly and wants me to buy their windows. I have a no soliciting sign clearly place by my front door. I have seen their employees messing with our mailboxes, I have asked them to stay away from my house. I have called their Vice President and requested them to stay away. This does not seem to matter. At this point, I have slammed the door in their employees faces and under no circumstances would I ever buy any of their products. They have harassed me for long enough. I would tell all prospective buyers to buy else where. This company needs to be put out of business since they obviously do not get it.

• Th
                  The couv Mar 17, 2011

They are totally bothersome.. I also have a no soliciting sign in my window (clearly visable) which they choose to ignore. If this is how they get people to buy they are seriously messed up. I would consider it more like harrasement, I would also have boards on my windows before using this company.

• Th
                  The Couv, WA Jan 29, 2010

I totally agree! I live in Vancouver, WA and just experienced the oblivious to my polite decline, press the hard sales pitch, attempt to insult my intelligence approach, and a turn around and walk away without so much as a thank you for my time or even a good-bye approach! Does this approach EVER work? I didn't know much about Penguin windows before this and now I don't ever care to! Horrible approach and attempt!

Penguin WindowsProfessionalism

No professionalism, no regard for applicants.
                Rude and ignoring me as applicant.
                Left after waiting 35 minutes for my scheduled appointment, with no recognition!!

• Mc
                    McMillan at statewide Jan 22, 2010

Total ripoff cancel your appt right now n call champion or a local general for a real bid!

There is no way to profit on any home improvement.
                    Houses in Tacoma are selling at 30% less than before
                    And the gullable design consultant in a cheap suit is telling me in a 4 hour presentation I will profit up to 120% on 35, 000 in windows?

How? A typical 10, 000 job with argon properly installed double is 25k less, ok is a buyer of my house really going to pay 25k plus 5k profit for the seller?

Hell no, notice no guarentee on any of these lies

ok still want to get ripped off?
                    Typical installation is 100-200 per opening, if the product is so much better why do they subsitute thier own double windows for triple windows on large sizes? Because there is no difference in the heat loss !

It's fraud any way you break down the lies

The 10% commission the cheap suit kid is closing you on is only paid if he sells you at 80 or 90% of contract price, that covers the overmeasure and the district managers commission is also available as the cheapsuit at the office at 11pm is giving another 10% away

So now we are at 70% of contract price right?

35, 0000 minus 11, 000 is 24, 000 so if I simply agreed at the beginning I would be overpaying 30%!

But actually this is still more than double the fair cost of similisr efficientcy

The real scam here is thermal inspection of current windows there is no training certificate from the salespitch of assumptions, ok 250 inspection without a infared reading, the hot button as he called it he is closing me on is safety last but not least,

this terribly educated poor soul and the terribly trained managers ate trying to lie to me that all windows with exterior glazing strips can simply be removed and be in my house in 60/90 seconds, that's simply a lie, hello glass can only be removed from the inside, n why the he'll wouldn't they just kick in the door,

well if u fall for this scam at least get 35-45 off the contract price if you are this gullible, and after they do critical measurement ask for the difference back at $20 ui and they will accept a minimum deposit of $200, so you can verify the overage they are sure to rip u off,

statewide penguin windows is poor in quality, sales, training, Service, reputation, timely delivery, cheap plastic interior linings, do yourself a favor and only pay 6-15k for your whole house n give a donation to someone who really needs help, nit a pathetic cheapsuit operation like this

if they are so great why don't the salespeople have these windows?

Overmeasuring the windows by 2 inches vertically n horizontically is pure fraud

Penguin Windows — Horrible company

I was almost one of their victims and have just heard of 3 more people with the same story! It's time to...

Penguin Windows — FRAUD---CHEET---WASTE OF MONEY---LIE---LIE---LIE.

Buyer Beware….yes the lies are flying out of the Penguin Windows sales reps mouth but what most people...