Debt Settlement USA Complaints & Reviews

Debt Settlement USAFraud

I also regrettably got sucked into their debt settlement program in 2006 . I paid over $14, 000.00 in upfront fees. I settled 3 accounts on my own. They settled four. I am still fighting to get a refund of my money. Thus far, I have been trying to get the Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox to help me, but it doesn't seem like he has done much - simply sends my letters on to DSUSA and then sends me their replies.

I only had one negotiator (Carla Cannon) who seemed to try to actually settle accounts. I can't remember how many different negotiators they would give me. Always someone new who did not know anything about my situation. Very, very frustrating and what a painful experience this has been.

I also filed a complaint with the BBB. I guest I need to go back on their website to see if they have done anything. I know that there are tons of complaints filed with them against Debt Settlement USA.

I am so glad I discovered this website while searching for information to send to they Michigan Attorney General. Thanks.

• Have you been ripped off by a Debt Settlement USA?

It's never too late to demand your money back from a debt settlement company. DebtSettlementRefund.com aggressively works with Consumers in all 50 states to help recover the exorbitant fees typically charged by debt settlement companies. Call us today [protected]

Why is debt settlement a scam?

Debt settlement is usually a scam because the fees (typically 15%-20% of the total debt) are paid out as front-loaded commissions. Think about it. If all of your money is going to pay commissions, there is very little money accumulating to negotiate with. A recent FTC study showed that more than 80% of the people who enrolled in debt settlement programs never negotiated even 1 debt.

Comments

Debt Settlement USAScam

I was recently on a consultation with a consumer and she asked me to review a contract that she received from debt settlement usa. She had enrolled into their program a few months ago and now she was starting to get the feeling that they were much more interested in collecting their fees from her than they were in helping her settle her debts. After 5 months in their program she had given them around $4500 in fees and as a consequence didn’t have much money at all to even settle her smallest debt.
    I told her that I had heard of debt settlement usa, but with over 2, 000 or so settlement companies out there, it is easy to get them confused. I informed her that this sounded like the typical high upfront fee shenanigans that most debt settlement companies hook consumers into. I didn’t have a copy of their contract on hand so she faxed it over, to get my opinion. When I received the contract, unfortunately my hunch was confirmed.

Here are the facts in the contract
    1. They charge 14% of a clients total debt as a fee
    2. They charge their entire fee over the first 11 months in their program
    3. Their fee is not contingent on any sort of results
    4. If you stop making payments, they can still keep their fees, even if they haven’t settled any debt
    Here are just a few of the things I found on the web
    1. They have 158 consumer complaints against them at the bbb
    2. They are currently under investigation by the new york state attorney general
    3. They paid a fine and refunded all clients in vermont for violating the “vermont consumer fraud act”
    4. There were numerous consumer complaints found during a few google searches
    Here are my thoughts
    The first thing that leaped off of the contract at me was their fees. Debt settlement usa charges 14% of a clients total debt as a fee plus a 29 dollar administrative fee. Now, most debt settlement companies charge 15% of a clients total debt, so one might conclude that debt settlement usa must be better. Well I guess everything is relative, I personally think both of them are way too high.
    However, even if a consumer decided that 14% of their total debt was a fair fee, here is the kick in the gut. They are going to collect that entire fee over the first 11 months into the program. Let me say it a different way. They will collect most or likely all of their fee before they even settle the first debt.
    Another thing that I saw, or rather didn’t see, was a clear explanation of the fees. Sure they told her that her fees were going to be about 500 dollars a month for 11 months but I sure didn’t see that fee totaled anywhere. I guess if someone saw the number $5, 500 in fees upfront, they might just think twice about this program.
    After crunching their numbers and double checking their fuzzy math, I actually got pissed. Ya I was literally pissed off about the lengths that these programs will go to to trick consumers into signing up. Let me show you what I mean. This client had about $40, 000 worth of debt. Debt settlement usa wanted to put her on their plan where she would pay about $600 a month. About $500 of that would go straight to them for the first 11 months. So after 11 months, the client would have paid $6, 600 yet, only have $1, 100 that she might be able to use to settle her debts. How much of that $40, 000 is she going to be able to settle for $1, 100? Now you can start to see why I was getting angry when I was reading this.
    To add insult to injury, they are misleading her and then covering their butts in the fine print. When I use a real calculator and check their fuzzy math, the only way for this client to finish up the program in the amount of time that they estimate and still cover their fees, would be if they settle all of this client’s debt for about 34 cents on the dollar. Hmm, according to the president of debt settlement usa in response to a complaint against them, he claimed that their settlements average about 43 cents on the dollar. That means, the program is probably going to last longer and definitely cost more than their rosy scenario that they are giving the client.
    In fact, lets look at the fine print. In the fine print the consumer will learn that the quoted numbers are certainly not a guarantee. (see fuzzy math problem above). We also learn that their fees are not contingent upon any specific result. They consider the fees earned when they receive them and my favorite, if you stop making payments for any reason, debt settlement usa is entitled to keep everything you have given them up to that point.
    I think I am starting to understand why they have been subpoenaed and are under investigation by the attorney general in new york. I also recently read that they had to give full refunds to all of their clients in vermont because they failed to offer a 3 day right of rescission and violated the “vermont consumer fraud act.”
    They have 158 complaints with the bbb and some quick google searches for “debt settlement usa” scam and “debt settlement usa” rip off, revealed quite a bit of unhappy clients.
    I don’t know the principle officers of this company or anything more about this company than what I read in their contract and I found on the web. However, from what I do know about them, I would certainly not recommend them to any consumer. Even if you discount the attorney general investigation and all of the consumer complaints, I personally don’t feel that charging a financially struggling consumer 14% of their debt (all upfront) is at all beneficial to them.
    Debt settlement usa makes all of their money upfront. Their fee is not based on their performance. If their client has a financial mishap and can’t afford to complete the settlement program, they can keep their fees. Clients are not likely to settle any of their debts with creditors for over a year. If debt settlement usa goes out of business or is shut down by regulators, clients will not likely get their money back. Debt settlement usa has no financial incentive to provide a client with support after they have paid all of their fees.
    When I take all of these things into account, I see an unconscionable contract. I see every benefit is provided to debt settlement usa and I do not see any consumer benefits. Now, I am human, and I could be missing something, so if someone can explain to me how charging a consumer 14% of their debt, upfront, pushing out settlements for over a year and providing no guarantees, is in the best interests of the consumer, I would appreciate it if you would set me straight. Until then, I must recommend that a consumer not enroll into the program currently offered by debt settlement usa.

• Based on your post, I thought you may be interested in this company. I used thir services last week and recovered $7200 in fee's that were stolen from me by my debt settlement company.

DebtSettlementRefund.com is a Pro-Consumer business, established to assist Consumers in recovering the exorbitant fees typically charged by debt settlement companies.

It's never too late to demand your money back from a debt settlement company. DebtSettlementRefund.com aggressively works with Consumers in all 50 states to recover 100% of your money.

Debt Settlement USAUnauthorized charges

I joined Debt Settlement USA in November, 2008. Since that time, I've been scammed out of at least $1200, and absolutely no services have been provided. My credit score is down, and I continue to receive harassing calls from creditors, who threaten legal action. My credit accounts continue to accumulate late fees, as well as other charges. I have just sent a notarized letter, revoking my POA, and went through the inconvenience of having all my bank account numbers changed, in order to prevent DSUSA from accessing any of my funds. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau - since November, this company has gone from a C - rating, to no rating at all. The BBB is investigating all the complaints received about this company. I check once every week or two since January, and they are still investigating.

My attorney has been notified, and I have every intention of contacting the Attorneys General of both Arizona and California, where I live. Is anyone interested in a possible class action lawsuit? I haven't looked into it yet, but it would help to know how many people might be interested in joining.

For those of you who are readers, the March, 2009 issue of Consumer Reports has a thorough report of current economic-based scams (pages 22-25). There is a section called 'High fee debt settlement', and Debt Settlement USA is the only company mentioned in this 1+ page section. I would suggest you read it, if possible.

• Ka
          kathy l shoemake Apr 01, 2013

went threw this program then a year later i fond out the last bill that was suposed to be sellted was not and was taken for 6.730.00 dollars and then they went bankruptys need help this was in 2008 to 2009 have prove and dont no how to get this fixed now i think its going to mess me up with my taxes .

• Er
          Erin moseley Feb 26, 2013

I am interested in a class action lawsuit. I can be reached at [protected]

• Ka
          kathryn2021 Oct 19, 2011

Im shocked to see this!!! it just seems so odd... I joined this as well back in 2007, thinking it was normal paying them the fees but it seemed higher than it hsould had been. Once we paid the feees, they started to help me, got all creditors except one paid off so this is kinda of hard to believe but the fees, I have troubles understanding the high fees for what...and I had no idea this company is giving everyone big problem. I kept the whole information whatever I got from them and creditors... I know I bugged them lots over years since I joined. Let me know if this goes to court, I would help out wahtever is needed, I agree with you guys about the fees, we werent able to pay creditors at first becuase of the fees the first 11 months we had to pay to them seemed odd.. wasnt it supposed to be free or less?? 12% fee they asked from us. there were times i had suspected of them not doing the job for awhile where I had waited and waited... for some negiotar who never informed me they were gone or anything, I was the one keeping calling and checking.. and else to keep in touch and checking on my status with them. this is just a shock for me...I just dont know the word to say about the whole experience of this we went through since 2007. that would totally suck to see you all suffering byt this company, just shock to hear that...im just lost...

• Li
          Libby26 Oct 05, 2010

same this has happened to my husband and i and I see no way out!!! who can help??

debt care scam Jun 17, 2010

I to have been scammed by debt care usa. They take all the money you pay in and wait for you to pull out and do nothing in any way of refund what so ever. They say its in the contract and they are lawyers and can do this because all other lawyers have you pay for services even if you don't get any service. I have found out however that they are not even lawyers. They compare themselves to lawyers but they are not lawyers at all. I would think twice about throwing money at this company you would be better off going to the credit card companies and settling your debt on your own.

• Fr
          fratboyee Jul 25, 2009

This company owned by Jack Craven scammed my father in law in the same manner. He made $800 monthly payments expecting his debt to be reduced and the company took his payments and did nothing to reduce his debt. His fees kept growing and growing. Now his credit is beyond repair. He's stopped paying and of course they just kept all $6000+ in "fees". When you search the internet on this company and the president Jack Craven, he has the gall to continue to speak out against fraudulent debt settlement companies and his company puts out many press releases claiming they have settled a record amount of debt each month. I hope they punish and shut down all these companies ripping off people who are most vulnerable.

Sacremento California

• Ar
          ARIZONAGIRL Jun 15, 2009

OMG! Sad to say me too! I did how ever settle one of the four accounts I did have. However I am still going to court with the one and only CITI BANK. It is so strange that we all have to pay to bail out this company but when I called them and told them that I had two major surgeries and was out of work for four months and my husband walked out on me not to mention I just had two more surgeries they would not help me at all. So instead of bankruptcy, I wanted to pay. My credit was perfect but I knew in my heart I couldn't pay these four accounts one of them medical the other three were credit cards. So I found debt settlement. They told me all I would have to pay would be $518.00 per month and in 36 months I would be debt free. What a joke!!! They are liars. They wanted me to settle with the accounts right after I entered the program. I had to change my telephone number because the phone calls were just plain rude. Those people will have hard times one day too and lord help them. Anyway good old citibank has turned my account over to an attorney. Blood suckers as I like to call them. I have tried everything to make a settlement with these people. They seem to forget that they were all over the news begging for help but we can't? They told me that I could pay $500.00 per month but they were going to still put a judgement against me. When I got the summons I faxed it over to dsusa and they tried to again settle with CITI BANK. I asked them what to do with the summons and they said we would just settle. They wanted me to give them $6, 000 to settle with this company. When I got into this mess I only owed $7, 500. Now it's over $11, 000 for just this one card. Today I called them to get all of the offers CITI Bank has turned down and they told me that they don't do that. They can give me dates but nothing in writing from dsusa. They don't return calls either. I called them when I was coming up on my dead line for the summons and they didn't even help me with that all they said was I never faxed them the information on the summons. I did and they were working on a settlement for it before it had to go to court. It should of been turned over to a different department. I have paid them over $3000 and they saved me $1500. Now my credit is trashed and I have a law suit against me. I would be very interested in a law suit for sure and I too will go to the BBB. I am also going to the County Attorney.
          Stacy

• Ca
          Camille9 Jun 05, 2009

I agree with all. This had to be the worse mistake of my life. If I hadn't have listen to Debt Settlement, I could have settled my debt with at least one of my debtors in 2007. While I haven't been taken to court as of today, I know that they will come after me at some point. Before joining with these people, my FICO was just over 750. I don't even want to talk about what it is right now.

• Le
          Leayn Eicher Apr 05, 2009

Me too... I'm being taken to court now for 1 credit card co. but instead I called the attorney that the credit card co hired for their case and agreed to make payments instead of going to court. I'm paying more then when I started with debt settlement they scamed me out of 2600 dollars.

• Ad
          Adnan Haider Mar 26, 2009

Same here... im being taken to court right now by 1 of my credit card companies.. which debt settlement usa promished to take care of. Ive been scammed out of $1800 and nothign has been done yet.. my credit score has DROPPED.

I called to stop and cancel everything.. Yet they still keep charing my account !!

Debt Settlement USATook my money, offered no service

I would strongly advise anyone who is considering looking at a debt settlement program to avoid Debt Settlement USA. I cannot give you a strong enough warning about this company as well as other companies who claim to settle your debts in a set amount of time.

This is a total scam that will result in collections lawsuits as well as pain & embarassment for you.

Debt Settlement USA represented themselves as having relationships with many of the well known creditors and that their program was in fact legitimate and accepted as an alternative to bankruptcy. This is NOT the case.

Debt Settlement USA sends power of attorney letters to your creditors and that is the extent of their involvement until enough funds are built up in your account to settle with a creditor. They also tell you not to make payments to your creditors during this time. This is absolutely the WORST thing you can do.

In fact, I was told by one of my creditors that they will often move directly to a lawsuit when a debt settlement service is involved.

To date, they have NEVER contacted ANY of my creditors...

Having chose to go this route and with Debt Settlement USA was probably the worst thing I could have ever done.

I have just "fired" Debt Settlement USA"and am now dealing with two, possibly three collections lawsuits against me. I also had a process server knock at my door.

I have requested a refund from these people but that may never happen and may consider recuiting other"victims"of Debt Settlement USA" for a class action lawsuit.

Best of luck!

angels7113* Apr 12, 2011

I totally agree, I used Debt Settlement USA and at first they are very friendly, helpful and call you back but after you are fully enrolled in their program they ignore your emails, calls, etc. Also they know fully that certain credit card companies will NOT work with them, (including big name credit card companies) so they are taking your money fully knowing these companies with not negotiate with DSUSA. Its a scam. I wasted over 2, 000 dollars giving them my hard-earned, and much needed money and they did not help at all. I luckily resolved all my debt on my own, with help from my family and a loan, and got 2 cards down to 50% off my balance. If I would of stayed with DSUSA it would of been a matter of time before i also had legal issues with the credit companies, luckily i read all these reviews on this site and got out of it in time before even more damage was done to my credit, and before i just handed them over even more money for doing absolutely nothing. On several occasions, after i was in the program for about 8 months, i tried to email and call them with questions, all were ignored, they never got back to me, even when i "fired" them and quit the program there were no calls/emails to see why i quit or try and make amends for any of it. They are just taking peoples money and pocketing it... I only wish i had read these complaints before i enrolled in the program.

• Pu
            pug mom Feb 07, 2011

I used Debt Settlement USA to settle a couple credit cards because with my husband laid off we just couldn't afford the monthly payments and I was getting behind in the payments. I was told by their counselor that they would send letters to each of the companies to stop the calls to me and it would direct the calls to them. It did not stop the calls. The credit card companies told me they don't deal with debt settlement companies. I finally couldn't stand the calls anymore and decided to take money out of my retirement fund to settle with these two companies. When I called the counselor at Debt Settlement USA and told her I wanted to settle one of the debts she then told me they couldn't call the credit card company to arrange a settlement and that I would have to do that but she would coach me on what to say. I didn't need her help in doing this. I paid them over $300 a month for a year that I definatley couldn't afford for nothing. I contacted the companies and settled the debts myself. And then they do not tell you that the money the credit card company writes off is considered income that you have to claim on your taxes when you file and pay tax on it. If anyone starts a class action suit please include me.

• Li
            Libby26 Oct 05, 2010

how can I get a debt settlement refund.. they have taken 2500$ roughly for there 'fees" and there is only just over 1000 $ in my act for pay outs.. they have settled nothing what so ever. Im out so much money, now my credit score which used to be 782 when I enrolled in december of 09..cant imagine what it is down to now is now, i dont even want to know. I feel like a fool because I was taken for such a ride!!! Im drowning and i have no life life line. What can I do? and suggestions

Comments

• Ed
            Ed B. Sep 01, 2010

STAY AWAY FROM UP-FRONT FEE SETTLEMENT COMPANIES: When searching a debt relief company to work with always look at their fee structure. If they charge anything up-front or charge monthly dues, it's better to stay away. Settlement companies should only charge a fee once a settlement has been finalized by the debt agency and the client's creditor. They should also charge minimal fees based on what they save their clients. www.personalcreditsolution.com operates with this fair fee structure and offers a full satisfaction guarantee to each of their clients. Remember, there are honest settlement companies out there...you just have to do your homework and see what you're really paying for their service. Contact Personal Credit Solution as they offer a free unbiased consultation to all their clients. They also inform clients of all the debt relief options out there, so that their clients are fully informed of their options. www.personalcreditsolution.com [protected]

Deborah McIntosh Jul 16, 2010

I do not live in GA, I live in TN. Debt Settlement isn't licensed in TN, however did business with me anyway. Is there a class action suit against them nationwide?

Deborah McIntosh Jul 16, 2010

I too am a victim of debt settlement usa. It wasn't until I was served a summons from one of my creditors to appear in court that I realized they did nothing for me. I also got a settlement offer from another creditor and asked if it was from DSUSA and they advised no, that they called and called and got no return phone call. I was promised my debt to go down more than half. They are not licensed in TN, however asked me to provide my mother's address in FL where they are licensed and "worked" with me regardless. All they did was take my money. They have destroyed my credit score and now I have summary judgements against me and am having to pay attorneys. I say STAY AWAY from any of these scam artists.

• Gl
            GLMAN Aug 21, 2009

you are lying. After a few month of paying in you would not of had the money to make a settlement with your largest creditor, and your negotiator would not have been working on that one.

demoneye1966 Aug 20, 2009

I would have to agree with the complaint against this company. I was with Debt Settlement USA for a a number of months and had paid in around $2000 before I stopped paying them. They promised me that they would work with my creditors to a settlement of around 40% of what was owed which never happened. The initial employee from this company told me that they had good working relationships with all of the creditors and that they would work on my smallest debt first and then work to the largest. My negotiator also told me the same thing and then after a few months she had told me that she had just finished filing bankruptcy on all of her credit cards. All I can say is that after a few months of paying to this company my negotiator called me and told me that they had worked out a final agreement with the largest dollar creditor for a 10% reduction which is nowhere near the 60% range they talk about. The final straw came when a creditor did call and told both my wife and I that they had not written documentation or phone calls telling them that I was in talks with Debt Settlement USA. Could the collection agency or Debt Settlement USA be lying to me was too much to handle at the time so I agreed to work with the collection agency towards a settlement and cancel working with Debt Settlement USA. Before canceling I had asked Debt Settlement USA documentation showing that they had talked to creditors and nothing happened.

• Ra
            Rachelle Jun 05, 2009

After 2 debts had been settled and my financial obligation to Debt Settlement USA had been paid I had 1 debt yet to be settled. The negotiator was rude and sarcastic and I told him I didn't appreciate his attitude. He became belligerant at that point and told me that once the debt had been turned over to collections there was no alternative but to make arrangements to pay the debt in full. At a relative's urging, I contacted the debt collection agency and was informed that the debt could be settled at 75%. Two days later I received an angry phone call from the negotiator spewing vile accusations and verbal abuse. He accused me of "going behind his back" in calling the collection agency and when I told him they had agreed to a lesser amount than what he had told me he flatly denied telling me the full amount of the debt would only be accepted at this point and "<my name> hears what <my name> wants to hear." and "Oh? Since when did you become a negotiator?" At that point I could no longer tolerate the verbal abuse and asked to be referred to a different negotiator and he told me he'd speak to his manager but that "I assure you the people around here don't take kindly when you ask for a different negotiator." I am still shocked at the unprofessional, intimidating behavior of this company that I paid to work on my behalf. Don't use this company people out there !!!

• Ge
            Georgia Attorney May 21, 2009

If you live in Georgia and have used Debt Settlement USA, you may be entitled to bring a claim against the company in the form of a class action to recover all fees you paid to the company. To speak with an attorney about this issue, call [protected]

• Sh
            Sheila Wilson Feb 26, 2009

I agree with you and wish to be involved in a class action lawsuit against Debt Settlement USA

Sheila from Bellingham, WA

Debt Settlement USAGreedy and dishonest company will take your money and do nothing for you. Beware!

In a time of dire financial crisis and coming to the point where my credit card bills were becoming very difficult to pay, I turned to Debt Settlement USA for help. I was told to stop paying my creditors and start paying the company $811 a month and deceived into believing that they would get my creditors to stop calling me and to enter into low, desirable settlements on my credit card balances. In the reality, they took my money, but never provided any services to me. The creditor calls were incessant, and anytime I had a question or concern it took multiple phone calls and messages left before I could get a response from my "negotiator." Several times, I resorted to calling the "customer service" department or the original person I had spoke with when signing up in order to get a response from anyone. I was never informed of what, if any, conversations or actions had taken place on my behalf, and have no reason to believe that any actually did.

One time a local legal firm who had acquired one of my accounts managed to get ahold of me (it was a local number so I assumed it was a client and answered the call). I was informed that they had never been contacted by Debt Settlement USA and that they were not surprised--they had had other cases where the defendant thought they were being "represented" by this company only to find out later that nothing was being done on their behalf. I dumped thousands of dollars into this company and now all I have to show for it is a ruined credit report, non-stop creditor calls, and pending lawsuits.

When I enrolled in the program, my representative (i.e. salesperson) informed me that if the program ever became more than we could afford to keep up with, we always had the option to get out of it and request our money back. He failed to mention that if I did that, all I would get is a rude, condescending answer that it was my fault the program failed (I stopped paying their fees after 7 months when nothing had happened for us in that time). He said they had done a large amount of work with my accounts and that I was not entitled to any refund--even though I never saw any decrease in creditor contact, never was offered or even asked if I could afford any settlements, and never received any contact from the company without fervent effort on my own part.

I'm now in the process of trying to save up for a bankruptcy lawer and get caught up on late mortgage payments so that I can file for bankruptcy and put a stop to the lawsuits that this company has brought up on me--something that would be easily paid for with a refund of the $5677.21 of fees that they are holding for all the "work" that they did not do on my behalf. In summary, stay FAR away from Debt Settlement USA. They run a greedy and deceitful operation and have no intention or desire to help you with your financial situation, and when they cause more problems than they solve, they are unwilling to work with you and make things right. I sincerely hope that this post helps someone else avoid the financial and emotional turmoil that working this company can create.

• If you are one of the millions of Americans struggling with credit card debt you're certainly not alone. CreditClock.com operates as a Pro-Consumer company, committed to the on-line delivery of do it yourself settlement software. We provide invaluable insider knowledge and a clear understanding of the steps you must take to negotiate your debts direclty. SAVE thousands of dollars from the comfort and security of your home computer!

"Do not fall victim to debt settlement companies that will drain your wallet and leave your more exposed to collection abuses. Aside from stealing your money, there is nothing these so called "debt experts" can do for you that you can not do for yourself!" - Eric Katz, American Consumer

Denise Anastos Sep 06, 2010

Macomb, Michigan
              Phone: [protected]

• Au
              Auriette Sep 03, 2010

This is the [censor] of the earth company. They took 6000.00 of my money in the most desperate lean time of my life, they did NOTHING for me and I settled my own accounts. I have a court date to settle yet another case where the lawyer put a lien on my house. STAY AWAY FROM DEBT SETTLEMENT USA!!! THEY WILL NEVER RETURN YOUR CALLS! They will talk BS to you as long as you are activly paying them, you will NEVER hear from them again once you pay in full. I think we should have a class action suit against them as well. This is the kind of people that would rob their own mother and father.

• Ds
              DSUSA IS A SCAM Aug 07, 2010

Debt Settlement USA is a scam plain and simple. They convinced my mother that they would settle her debt for pennies on the dollar and would give her a full refund if she was unhappy with their service.

After two years of inactivity on their part, we decided to get our money back. The woman on the phone claimed to be the lead negotiator of DSUSA and told me that we would never get our money back and she was 'doing us a favor' by even talking to us on the phone.

It is also interesting to note that in the last two years, everyone that my mother originally dealt with at DSUSA is gone; And it appears they now have two inept Black women that run the phones and stonewall the customers.

Needless to say, we have hired an attorney and will seek damages for fraud. They misrepresented themselves on a number of issues, in addition to using the BBB logo on their site when they weren't even members of the bureau.

It's class action lawsuit time my friends!!!

• Jr
              J. Russell Cunningham May 06, 2010

I am an attorney representing a bankruptcy trustee in a consumer protection lawsuit against Debt Settlement USA. We are interested in any information you might have that would be admissible at trial.

I may be contacted at:

1830 15th Street
              Sacramento, CA 95811

• Gi
              Gizmo912 Mar 11, 2010

its funny how people believe everything a debt collector tells them (u forget debt collection is a filthy business & debt collectors work on salary and commission and they are trained to say things like, that company never contact us ...or you'll go to jail if you do not pay ...or will take your cars and home away if you don't pay) ... ...that's where people make their first mistake...

their second mistake is moving to fast with a debt settlement company, people you got to slow down and research research research...look heavily into accreditation and ratings and try doing a search of the company with the world scam or rip off next to it etc... you'll be surprised what you might learn...that's all i got to say ... i don't work for debt settlement USA but i hated when a company as such gives good settlement company a bad name or even worse when a half ### none educated customer comes along and cry's foul for his own lack of understanding of how things work, like, being ignorant to all of the disclaimers and quickly nodding & brushing vital information aside without writing a single thing or looking into a single thing...

• Ds
              DSUSA Sucks Jul 03, 2009

Biggest mistake of my life was enrolling with this scam company. They are taking advantage of people in a desperate situation, telling them what they want to hear just to enroll them. The creditor calls do not stop. The "negotiating" they do is mainly with you to stop complaining about their inactivity. It would be more productive and cheaper to negotiate with your creditors directly. Most companies have collection guideline they follow based on aging, they don't do anything special when dealing this company. This company is simply playing the same waiting game you would have to in order to settle the debt. Between Debt Settlements fee and interest added and late fees based on the "advise" of Debt Settlement to stop paying on my bills, I ended up paying more to settle my debt.

• Vi
              vinman Mar 01, 2009

Folks--believe me--I negotiated my self out of nearly 1/2 a million dollars of unsecured debt--for less that 50-60% on the dollar--some tips--never give out your home phone number or work number to a creditor--never send settlement money to a creditor without a letter in writing stating that the credit line will show "paid as agreed' or similar wording.. Be prepared to spend many many hours on the phone and writing letters in defense of your cause, and never let them know where you truly stand financially. You will be victorious--I had a 750 credit score back within 2 years

• Jm
              jmckay Feb 11, 2009

I am in total agreement with everything I have read so far. I signed up with Debt Settlement USA in 2006, following a divorce and medical retirement from my profession. I would never have done anything like this unless I was in serious need of help. To cut to the chase, Debt Settlement USA collected their fee and then I had several different "negotiators" who seemed to be clueless most of the time, did not return phone calls and were not doing their job. Needless to say I called and asked for a refund, was told that was not a possibility. The one account that has been settled was by ME and it was for less than half of what was owed. There should be some type of class-action law suit that people such as ourselves can file against this lame outfit.

I can be reached at [email protected] for any one who may be interested in finding out what we can do to get our money back.

• Ti
              Tim Mathews Jan 05, 2009

I agree I work for a collections agency that collects on purchased accounts... I recently had a conversation with a rep there who instead of discussing the debt or a possible resolution, took the time to belittle me try to get me to break the law instead... he threatened me with an attorney general complaint. This company is bad news. Unfortunately, this company makes alot of money from people who are suckered into the scam. **** heres a tip from a collector that has been doing this for almost a decade, you can settle these accounts yourself, there are good collectors out there... but don't get me wrong there are alot of bad collectors out there. If you call a collections agency with money available instead of a what would be considered a stall, you WILL receive a better conversation with that collector. I wish everyone the best of luck with the accounts and hope they can negotiate calmly and respectfully. Thanks

• Fr
              Fred Hirsch Dec 19, 2008

My name is Fred Hirsch. I am a manager at a prelitigation agency. We have tried for months to try to negotiate in good faith with this company. They have NEVER resolved an account with our office.

Our clients see this fact. Debt buyers all share this information. They see that Debt Settlement USA does not handle any of the accounts with any serious intent. Instead, the creditors are forced to seek litigation. All Debt Settlement USA does is send a cease and desist letter so that you get no calls. Then they abuse collectors HOPING to get them to break the law.

Please, for your own good, do not use Debt Settlement USA. Either negotiate with your creditors or use a reputable agency.

Good luck

• Lb
              LB Nov 20, 2008

Ditto! I had same experience. That company is a joke. The creditors were relentless in calling me. I was getting served with papers (lawsuits) from my creditors. This company did absolutely NOTHING for me. After 4 months and over $2, 000, I pulled out of the program and contacted my creditors myself. One creditor said she contacted this company as directed and never received a call back. They never returned calls. Whenever I called my "negotiator" I was told she was out sick! This is a cheesy company with one universal phone number. The "legal department" phone number is the same as all the other "departments". They also refused to give me a refund. I could kick myself for giving them a cent! The good news is that I've managed to settle some of my accounts on my own-some have actually settled for half! This company is a rip-off, we can actually "negotiate" ourselves! I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Has anyone else?

• To
              Totally Fed Up Nov 18, 2008

Kate,

My story is exactly as yours with this company !

This was a total scam that has caused me a huge amount of pain.

I would encourage others who are reading this post NOT to do business with Debt Settlement USA or for that matter other debt settlement companies.

Best of luck, I am also trying to get a refund.