MakeBelieve Ragdolls Complaints & Reviews

MakeBelieve RagdollsSick Kittens

A kitten I bought from Debbie Corrado last year died of FIP around December. She recently offered to give me a replacement kitten - I was tempted to decline because of her husbandry practices. But in the end, it's a free Ragdoll kitten and she would be taking a loss on it, so I decided it was worth the risk.
Though Debbie was very nice to me and seems to know what she's talking about in writing, in person it is an entirely different story. I feel I need to warn potential customers.
Debbie asked me to meet her in a parking lot. In emails she would ignore requests to see her home. Last Friday she opened the back of her Jeep and an overwhelming odor hit me like a wall. She took out the kitten and handed him to me - he was scruffy and tiny (I had known he was the runt, but he had a potbelly and seemed skinny). I instantly noticed fleas crawling around on his legs. My mother had come with me, and she held him too. Then, suddenly, he had diarrhea all over her. I was so horrified. My mom was a good sport about it (she was luckily wearing a shirt underneath) and waved it off, though we were both nervous. But we weren't about to let this woman take this poor baby back with her. As soon as Debbie drove away, we administered some Advantage and fed him a Capstar pill to kill the fleas (we'd come prepared, as my previous kitten from her had had some fleas too). The poor baby looked sad and miserable. By the time we got him home, most of the fleas seemed to be dead or dying.
The kitten had one more bout of very loose diarrhea as soon as we took him out of the carrier - we washed him off and put him down, and he crawled behind a chair and slept for the rest of the afternoon.
The next day, he went to the vet. They wormed him, and couldn't find anything obviously wrong with him. Thank goodness.

No mistake - this kitten was rescued.

He is slowly learning to use the litterbox. He seems to be a bit constipated so he's having trouble with going #2 in the box. We're being very patient with him, but we went through this with the last kitten too - what kind of breeder doesn't litter train her kittens? Judging by how he smelled last weekend, her whole house is the litter box.

This kitten is rebounding noticeably. At the vet's, he weighed just 1.7 lbs. In a week he's gained almost half a pound, and he no longer looks potbellied from worms. I believe that is down to proper care and nutrition. He's crated when we can't keep an eye on him, but has lots of time to exercise, and is very playful. We're optimistic about his future. But if I had paid money for this kitten, I would be livid. Please don't give Deb your business. I've learned my lesson.

A few last points:
--- Her breeding cats are old. When she has photos of her 'foundation stock' on her webpage from 2006, and still breeding these females in 2013 at age 8+, that's wrong.
--- She doesn't bring the kittens to the vet for vaccinations. She does it at home - how does she know if there's a problem with the kitten if they don't have a normal kitten check up?
--- She's been known to take deposits and cease communication.

Don't be fooled by the testimonials on her website. Debbie should not be breeding animals. Stay away.

bunnyhunny Mar 12, 2015

This person seems reasonable but doesn't at all reflect my experience with Deb! I have two of Debs kittens and they are just wonderful, happy, healthy kittens! Big gorgeous floppy dolls and so sweet, I could not be happier with my kittens! As far as staying in contact, we had a good deal of contact back and forth all along from deposit to delivery meeting and on that note, we even had a great talk during the meeting. She really went above and beyond with my kittens and I actually enjoyed my interactions with Deb. I'm very glad I went to Deb for my kittens, they adjusted right off and were box trained from the get go. It made us all laugh how the kittens just seemed to be getting a kick out of using the box, just adorable!

• Lu
    luv2korinna Mar 15, 2015

Health contracts from breeders covered congenital issues. FIP is caused by a virus. Health guarantees don't cover viruses. It is not a congenital problem. The breeder can't control what viruses your cat is exposed to once it leaves their home. Why would this be the breeders responsibility? The cat became ill after it left their home and while it was in your care.

MakeBelieve RagdollsDodgy breeder

I received a kitten from Deb Corrado, and though she is an absolute sweetheart, she did come to me with fleas and ear mites. This breeder releases kittens as young as 8 weeks (most good breeders don't let their kittens go before 12 weeks), and is inconsistent in the date my kitten was born on. She initially told me she was born on April 27, then on her shot record sheet her DOB is April 23, and on her TICA paperwork it's listed as April 21. So now I'm not certain which date is accurate.

Deb appears to have produced a lot of beautiful cats with good personalities. But she seems to have cut some corners in her kitten care.

Dodgy breeder

• Nz
    Nzingha Jun 26, 2013

I am currently filing her under the Better Business Bureau, she had me pay a deposit and around the time I was to receive the kitten she stopped all communication.

bunnyhunny Mar 12, 2015

This person seems reasonable but none of this jives at all with my experience with Deb or with her kittens. I've a number

of her cats and they came to me freshly washed, clean ears and certainly no fleas or lice at all. In fact, she talked to me

extensively at both our meetings and noted that not only does she wash her kittens with dawn but also pre-applies

advantage topical which is highly effective. As far as age of rehoming, the idea that 12 wks is somehow better than 8

wks is fallacy from the start; no health basis and no temperament basis. Fact is often kittens adjust best at 8-10 wks,

pups also, that is why that became the accepted standard across the country! Regardless I got one of my kittens at 9

wks and the other at 10 wks and there was never any pressure to meet earlier to rehome; she met when I could make the

trip and I appreciated that. On that note, she was pleasure to meet and greet, we had fun and I learned a bunch, she

definitely does know her stuff! Again, none of these complaints make any sense to me based on my experiences, except

the part about her breeding cattery having, 'produced a lot of beautiful cats with good personalities.' Mine are wonderful

and I'm glad went to Deb for my rags!

MakeBelieve RagdollsFIP

I truly cannot understand how this woman's cattery is still operating. I had gotten a kitten from her, and she was very nice through out the entire 8 weeks that I had waited for the kitten. Upon her getting the remaining balance of the kitten, she no longer bothered to keep in contact. Reaching her was impossible. I had to put my kitten to sleep at 4 months because of FIP. It is truly painful to have undergone such a massive stress, and I would hate to know that there are other kittens being brought into this world, only to die painfully after a few months. This is the wrong way to make money.

• Ap
    Applepretzel May 03, 2012

Yikes, I just put a deposit on a kitten. This is disheartening...

• Ad
    Addy Up Aug 18, 2012

I am sorry to hear that you lost your kitten. Coronavirus is a benign virus which causes colds in humans ( human specific) bovine, dogs the list goes on. Coronavirus itself is not deadly, BUT if a kitten has a compromised immune system it can turn to FIP, which can NOT be confirmed on a living animal. The only test to confirm a kitten has Coronavirus is a fecal or one derived directly from body cavity fluids confirmed via PCR DNA/RNA test, that test alone does NOT confirm FIP, simply that the cat has been in contact with the Coronavirus and is shedding it, please note the coronavirus is not one single virus it is several different strains of a cold: type of virus umbrellaed under the name Caronavirus, which is why any antigen or DNA/RNA test can not quantify a predisposition to FIP or confirm FIP, as only 1 strain can turn into FIP, unless the aforementioned mutate to FIP. It is estimated nearly half of all domestic felines will have some sort of positive result if tested for Corona Virus, with varying numbers greater than that in catteries or high number households and rescues. The FIP itself is not what kills a cat or kitten it is the kitten or cats bodies immune systems overreaction which causes death, which cannot be predicted.

While you should of received a healthy kitten from the start, it is more than probable that this kitten was positive for Coronavirus, and it mutated while in your care, and highly unlikely that it had mutated prior as it is not a spontaneous event. Unless you had your vet do a thorough exam and testing within the first few days in which you had the kitten for DNA/RNA status of Coronavirus. That previous sentence is not to insinuate that you are somehow at fault as the buyer, but a statement, that neither the breeder, you or the vet can control if the particular strain mutates.

Ideally one would hope that every precautionary test has been run on her cats, and her kittens, but because of the elusive and unpinpointed nature of the Coronavirus(s) there is little protocol besides hygiene that can eradicate it in the breeding environment. It is imperative of any kitten buyer to do their due diligence when they buy a kitten, both before and after acquiring their kitten, responsibility alone does not solely fall on the breeder as once the kitten leaves they cannot control a mutation or a particular strain of virus from changing, as they themselves are not god. In turn if they have had a kitten who had any form of URI prior to placement, I believe it should be disclosed to the buyer, so they may make an informed decision. It is also very important to make sure a cattery in which you buy a kitten or cat from comes from one in which has low numbers or cats.

just adorable!