Gardeners Choice Complaints & Reviews

Gardeners ChoiceScammers!!

Last year, I had ordered a blueberry bush from "Gardener's Choice". I received this order without problems. HOWEVER, almost a year after this order was made I started to receive the American National Parks Coins and bills collection, from the National Motor Museum Mint.
I did NOT make this order, and went ahead to stop payment with my credit card company.
After investigating further, I had found out that Gardener's Choice, was actually a subsidiary of the National Motor Museum Mint.
Gardener's Choice went ahead and gave the National Motor Museum Mint my credit card information, and took the liberty of making an order and billing me for these coins and bills.
I had called the National Motor Museum Mint, and was informed by the representative that they have a recording of me making the order for the coins... (I'd really like to know how I made this order on the date they gave me, as I was sick and in the hospital on the provided date..) I requested to listen to the recording, and see any other proof they had that I actually made the order. (There is none, so I'd like to see what they call proof) I was told the only way to release the proof was through legal action.
I intend to take this legal action, and encourage anyone else who has been scammed by these dishonest and unethical companies to do the same.
Dont let them continue to get away with credit card fraud.

Gardeners ChoiceGiant Tomato Tree

I have ordered the giant tomatoe tree twice...yes, twice and have yet to receive any plant at all. They continue to take money from my credit card, you cannot get in touch with customer service, they don't have any records of my order (not according to my order number. I will be getting in touch with the local news station to give Gardeners' Choice some much needed publicity. Calvin Sneed at News Channel 9 has been very helpful with matters such as these.

7 Responses
      • Te
        Terej May 22, 2011

This company swindles people and they are smooth. I ordered a 2 for one deal (4 trees for the price of 2) it was supposed to be $9.98. They billed me $109.- and when called them (same day as I ordered) they said to call back in a couple of days and they would adjust the order. I called back in a couple of days as advised and then they said they already shipped the order (20 trees!!!) I said, "but I don't want 20 trees, I only want 2" They said, well just send them right back to get a refund (not so simple).

Well, 2 weeks later folks, I still haven't received even 1 tree and they have taken my money 2 weeks ago. I am planning to have my bank do an investigation so that I can get my money back.

• Ra
        RacG67 May 12, 2010

I am trying to reach them as if I have a new order to place. Still holding. If trying to get a rep. the line #2 is always busy. Frustrating, I just want the plants, don't like complaining. But I think I got ripped off here. I have emails them that are rejected and returned to me. I did put this on AMEX, so will be calling them to have them get me a refund. Beward using these people, could be a scam. I read other reports and did not head warning. But do get enticing emails from Gardener's Choice.

• Al
        Alina231 Sep 06, 2009

Company claims the order was placed by myself or my husband because it shipped to our address and our phone number was used. Gardeners Choice rep admitted no security questions are asked to veirfy that the person making the call is in fact the actual card holder. Perhaps Gardner's Choice has not heard of phone lines being accessed to make fraudulant credit card charges in addition to fraudulant calls. Neither my husband or I are gardners, we just mow the grass. If we wanted grass seed, fertilizer and the rest of the junk that was sent to us, we could drive less than 10 minutes to Lowe's, Home Depot or Wal Mart to purchase the same exact items for far less money and have them immediately. It doesn't make sense to order something in May that is supposed to arrive at the ideal time for planting (now Aug). It is over 90 degrees in Virginia at this time of year and no one is planting grass or adding fertilizer to their lawns. It is just too hot.

Customer Service is non existent. Both reps I spoke with were rude and abrupt. For me this is another indicator that there are so many complaints, the reps answer the phone prepared to do battle.

If you have a choice for gardening supplies, stay away from Gardner's Choice.

• La
        laurice Aug 06, 2009

i purchased a weeping japanese maple tree in april. as soon as it was shipped to me (and when i was supposed t0) i planted it. to this day it is still in the same condition as it was 4-5 months ago. i have contacted the co. two different times .the first time the co asked me to send additional info which i did. i did not hear from them and i emailed again . that was in june and july. it is now august and i have had NO luck at all and they do not respond to my requests. is there something u can do to help?

• Ba
        barbara May 26, 2009

I bought 2 tomatoe plants and the seeds are not in the dam pot. It is time to call the attorney general office and complain fraud through the mail put a complaint in to the us postal, better business bureau they don't do much I R S TO CHECK THEIR TAXES wehat a joke they have been getting away with this for along time any more Ideas thanks barbara

• Wi
        William J raver Jun 11, 2008

I typed my e-mail wrong. This is for Gardeners Choice.
        Sandra Raver
        Thanks

• Wi
        William J raver Jun 11, 2008

I ordered 4 V30018 Giant Tomato Plants for 10.98. I only received 2. I also ordered 1 V13382 Tomato Potato for 6.98.
        I also ordered 2 G20802 Topsy Turvy Planter. I wasn't charged for the planters, but can't they tell me they don't have them anymore.
        I have been on the phone trying to get this squared away, but I get is a man telling me to stay by they are on the phone with other customers or a busy signal.
        I want my 2 giant tomato plant now and I want my broken in half tomato potato replaced now.
        I was also charged to much for shipping.
        Customer # 4845722. Reference # 10501
        My bill was 17.96 plus 8.95 for s/h Total 26.91.
        I want my items or give me my credit that is due me.
        Thanks Sandra Raver

Gardeners Choice — Customer Service Number

For all of you that have had problems getting through, I have called this number [protected]. It is open...

Gardeners ChoiceUnauthorized charges

I noticed a charge on my Discover Card 7/01/08 amount $33.85 from Gardners Choice Hartford, Mi. I'm NOT a gardner -called Discover and contested charge 7/6/08 they implemented a temporary credit pending investigation. On 7/18/08 I received a package from Gardners Choice and promptly called Discover Card to question their credit and investigation. I was instructed by their investigation section to return the package unopened with delivery confirmation. This I did on 7/24/08 AM. The reason for the delay was my family was on a week trip and didn't receive mail until 7/23/08. Cost to return box was $7.40 Zone 4 priority mail with delivery confirmation

My personal investigation on the internet leads me to believe this company regularly uses fradulent methods to extract money from unsuspecting citizens and their practice should be brought to an end. My choice was to pay for something I didn't order or pay to return it... without any other choice. Discover indicated the return must be made or they could not honor any credit to my account. So I loose in either case. Unfair!

Gardeners ChoicePoor service

What I'm pasting below is a copy of my complaint to the Better Business Bureau. It doesn't begin to outline everything, but it hits the main points. I would suggest that any of you who are having problems with this company (and there seem to be many) go to www.bbb.org and file your own complaint.

I did several orders from this company, 219139, 219233, 219238, and 219239. Calling them does no good. It's always busy. I have literally let it ring for hours by putting my phone on auto-busy redial. They have failed to respond to repeated e-mails. They billed my credit card right away rather than waiting for the product to ship, which I know is perfectly legal and I don't have a problem with that as long as I get the product and it's in good condition. Last Saturday, I sent another e-mail telling them that if I didn't hear back from them, I was going to have to decline the credit card charges. Today, I received a box with a few plants, most of them dead. Some aren't labelled so I don't even know what they are other than little pieces of dead stuff. The packing slip they sent with it showed the total of my first order, but even the itemization on the packing slip itself did not add up to that total of $72.79, so whatever invoicing program they're using obviously can't manage second-grade math. The total that should have been on the slip was $45.88. I have great respect for the BBB and always check out any company I'm ordering from for the first time. They are apparently accredited, and I'm completely baffled about that. I did a general search on the Internet after I received my dead plants, and there are THOUSANDS of complaints about this "company, " all from people with the same issues I've had. This isn't a life-altering event, but I consider it very serious. Two of those orders were for me, and I can deal with disappointment. Of the other two, one was for my Mom and one was for my Dad. They are elderly, and were so looking forward to the blueberry bushes and cherry hedges, etc., that I ordered for them. They had actually planned their planting for this year around what I ordered for them. Now I have to be ashamed and tell them the stuff likely isn't coming, and will likely be dead if it does. I've already posted messages in numerous gardening forums to see if anyone can help me find a reputable company with the "spectacular" merchandise Gardener's Choice has.

Gardeners ChoiceIt is a scam

I saw a commercial about these supposedly great tomato trees. Ordered the product and I was told I would get 6 tomato plants sent at the right time for planting in my area. Instead, I got 6 tiny peat pots that have a little dirt and a few seeds (some of which spilled in shipping.) A total rip off! Those are mighty expensive seeds.

I would return them but doubt that I would get my money back based on other comments I have since seen on the net. Also, since customer service is never available I am just hoping that the seeds eventually grow and glad it was only a $20 mistake.

3 Responses
            • Tr
              Trish Jun 27, 2008

I as well received only little pots of dirt and after a month not even a sprout of growth. I tried numberous times to contact them and finally went to my bank filled out a few papers and had the charges to my account reversed. All I had to do after is show I shipped the "defective" product back to them. I did all the dirt in a ziploc bag. I will never buy one thing from this company again.

• St
              stealth Jun 15, 2008

Sucker

• Dh
              D Hunnemeyer May 08, 2008

I too am a victim of the Gardeners Choice scam. I ordered grass seed and it was not shipped untill after I sent a third email asking to cancel my order and contacted my credit card company. I too tried many times to get through to their "customer service". What a joke I did get a real person once and was told my order had been shipped but had no tracking #. The order did show up, but I refused it and had already disputed the charges. I have never had an answer to any of my many emails and no refund to date. It has been 3 months since my order. If you try to call the customer service line you get a busy signal, luckily the M/C will deal with them. If you refuse an item just make sure you get a slip from you mail carrier. My best advice is buyer beware!

Gardeners ChoiceTomato plants are totally rotten

I ordered 12 tomato plants in May of 2006 from Gardeners Choice SPC, P.O. Box 8000, Hartford, MI 49057. After I received them, they were totally rotten plants and were worthless. I wrote to them for a refund (which by the way they said their product was 100% guaranteed or your money back) but to this date, July 12, 2006, I have not heard a word or received any money. How can I get my money back?

1 Response
              • Ge
                Geneisse Erlewine Apr 17, 2007

Took more money out of my account than they supposed to and I never received my product!