Fleetwood Complaints & Reviews

FleetwoodTruck camper

I bought a Fleetwood Elkhorn truck camper in 2001 right off the RV show floor. It was a really nice camper with a tip out on the passenger side, queen bed, all the buttons and whistles. The first year of owning this camper it was great, the second year the slide out was acting like it did not want to line up with the frame when sliding it in. by the third year it was obviously not lining up when pulled into the camper. The slide out began gouging a deep mark into the back wall. I contacted two RV repair shops and neither one would work on it, the first repairman stated that it was a factory manufacturing defect and Fleetwood is well aware of it and the first customer he had seen with this problem had contacted Fleetwood and received a new camper because they could not fix his. The second repairman that I talked to said that he had seen this problem on another camper and that there was no way to fix it. He finally stated that he would try but it would cost ten thousand dollars and he would not guarantee it out of the parking lot.
I contacted Fleetwood and was sent to two different reps Jake and Paul which gave me a three month long run-a-round. By this time the whole right front of the camper collapsed and the cab over dropped. There was no support between the slide and the cab-over. This camper is not structurally sound to be used or even enter. Fleetwood is obviously aware of this problem, they asked me to send them several photos of the damage and then I waited another couple of months. Finally after multiple calls to these two reps they called me back and told me that they would not repair or replace the camper and it was up to me to figure out what to do with it. Now realize I paid $17.000 for this camper three years earlier with a two year warranty. If I used this camper year around the problem would have occurred during the two year time but knowing they had a manufacturing problem I think they should have worked with me on this. How many of you can spend seventeen thousand dollars on what I now call a disposable camper. I know I cannot. I thought campers were supposed to last years and be passed down to at least my first born. This camper is in brand spanking new shape on the inside, the floor, fridge, stove, bathroom still look unused. I take really good care of my things because at this price it is a once in a lifetime purchase, or so I thought. Please be cautious when purchasing a camper, trailer, or motor home made by Fleetwood.

• Ha
    HanF59 Sep 09, 2009

Bought a new 29 ft. 5th wheel. First big trip we took it on through 7 states it began falling apart. Plugs came out of the walls, bench seat separated from the wall, then fell through. Then the siding at the window in upper bedroom separated so badly we had to duct tape it to get home. First year it was in the shop more than it was out of the shop. Had to keep taking it back for same stuff. Dan Gamel's RV who sold it to us wouldn't honor the warranty. Oh now he's out of business here. We took them to court by a so called lemon law attorney who sold us down the river. We still have the piece of crap and still have to make payments on it.

FleetwoodPoor customer service

While my problems are smaller than some of the other complaints the theme is the same. Fleetwood has very poor quality control. The side doors on my RV don't fit good, the screen door would latch to the outer door or the door frame but not both, the front dash A/c leaked water into the cab, the rear roof a/c didn't work etc.

In addition I received a recall notice about some wiring issues around the jacks.

The big problem for me is poor customer relations. In the owners manual is states that travel to and from a warranty location is the responsibility of the owner. So I bought mine 5 mile from where I lived but they closed for remodelling for a year.

So I had to drive 120 miles to get my recall taken care of and the Rear roof a/c. I called fleetwood about my expenses and their answer was tough luck it is all your cost.

Well I ask you, how much does a customer have to spend to get warranty work done before it becomes unreasonable. I gave Fleetwood a chance to do something to gain customer loyalty but their demeanor is such that it verifies all the other complaints about how unresponnsive Fleetwood is. As a result I would never buy another Fleetwood and would strongly advise all to avoid Fleetwood at all costs.

• Ka
    kaye22 Feb 18, 2017

Purchased a 2004 Caravan and it's falling apart "literally". The floor near the toilet is soft. Looked under the bottom of the camper and saw the outside perimeters with that processed wood is rotting away on all 4 sides, especially at the door. Also, the slide out bed is becoming more difficult to slide out & push in.

For the price, campers, should be made better which will last longer. As consumers, we should demand manufactures to build better quality campers. Watch some of those Youtube repairs. This complaint needs to reach the manufacturer, not so much the dealer.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices