Columbia Asia Hospital - Kolkata Complaints & Reviews

Columbia Asia Hospital - KolkataEquipment failure, official apathy in sensitive matters

We recently had our newborn girl treated at Columbia Asia hospital in Kolkata. While the treatment was ok, certain management issues have forced me to register this complaint.

On Diwali night while going to sleep, my wife noticed that one leg of the baby cot/crib beside her own bed suddenly broke and the cot would have fallen with unimaginable consequences to our 11 day old baby. It was due to sheer presence of mind that an accident was averted. There is no excuse for such 'freak' accident in a hospital of that repute. Medical equipment must meet standards and perform throughout their rated life, and especially in the case of equipment for infants.

What compounds my concern is that on the next day, another baby cot (probably from the same maker in Chennai) also broke, this time in the n-NICU. When I went and pointed this out to a senior hospital official (probably CSM), all they had to offer was 'sorry' and a promise to check them regularly. The problem is that the equipment is defective and no matter how much you check, they will probably fail when you are least prepared. I asked the official to take strictest action and inform me of the action taken.
No one has responded so far.

The apathy of the administration in such critical matters is frightening. This incident caused us a lot of distress and we do not know which hospital to trust. All this when headlines throughout news channels are screaming about baby deaths in hospitals in Kolkata. We couldn't believe such an incident (actually two in a short span) could occur at Columbia Asia and sincerely request them be careful and to identify and change faulty equipment immediately. Baby cots certainly are not hi-tech equipment and could easily be replaced with those made from good material and workmanship from a proper supplier.

Columbia Asia Hospital - KolkataWrong Diagnosis & No action taken

My son was diagnosed incorrectly by an Opthamologist in Columbia Asia Hospital at Kolkata.
I lodged a complaint & was promised to get a call back - which off-course did not happen.
My second visit, I was told to meet the Director. Went upto the Director's office where I was told that he is having lunch & I will have to wait. (Clear sign of them procastrinating the procedure).
I was however attended by the operations manager who noted down all details & promised to call back. Call back is awaited.
I would like the hospital to reimburse the costs incurred for spectacles that were made on the prescription of their doctor & the action taken against the doctor.
Will pursue this matter till its logical conclusion.
From a Hospital of such stature, I did not expect such continued apathy & indefferece towards their pateint complaints.

Marianna Briston Feb 18, 2010

Call 866 266 5049 to contact complaintsboard.com directly. They can help you

Sachin K Singh Feb 20, 2010

Hi All,

I am glad to let you know that the Managing Director of Columbia Asia Hospital Kolkata - Mr. Arindam had called me & assisted me in speedy resolution of my compliant.

I had all my costs reimbursed & a different doctor was assigned (free of cost) to do a detailed check-up.

Thank you Arindam for all your help.

The very fact that it (complaint) was looked into & resolved speaks volumes of the patient orientation about this Hospital.

By the way - almost forgot to mention - The doctor who gave the wrong diagnosis is no longer working with Columbia Asia Hospital in Kolkata!!

I remain to be a very satisfied customer & an even more loyal person to this brand.

I would have removed my complaint form this forum but honestly did not get that option on this site :)

• Ar
    Arun Agrawal - Ebizindia Mar 15, 2010

Looks like a speedy resolution to the customer complaint can win you many friends and be a good opportunity for some nice PR.

Well done Columbia Asia.

• Ry
    Ryan Lee Mar 07, 2012

tukkgl

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices