Republic Servicesforced contract

S Oct 14, 2019

[removed]
Account # [protected]

My previous disposal company sold my account to Republic in June 2019. It had no contract, the services was just month to month billing with only a dumpster delivery fee. I was informed of the new company and had been trying to decide if I was going to stay with Republic or try a different one. While I'm gone at work a sales rep shows up, July 11, 2019 and has someone sign a 3yr contract without my concent. Said person did not know what my wishes were. I never recieved a copy of the contract or given any information as to what had happened by the sales rep. August 6, 2019 I'm trying to contact the local office to cancel my account. The lady on the phone was short with me and sounded overwhelmed. She said that they will inform someone who would call me back. I wait a week and call again. The lady on the phone says they have no record of me calling and that she will transfer me, I ask for the number to call if something happens. I'm on hold and the call gets dropped. I call the number she gave me, it goes to voicemail that states a different number than the one she gave me. I try it again get the same unmatched voicemail number but go ahead and leave a message. I wait again August 29, 2019 I happen to be home and tell the dump truck driver my delema and to get someone to call me but no one did. I call the 800 number on the side of dump truck to get help and I finally get to the local rep for canceling accounts Matt Friel. I said I've been trying to cancel since Aug 6, he asked Why?. I said I wanted to go with someone local. He then says they are local they are in Danville IL. Feeling uncomfortable with his pressuring me for a better answer, I said that I want to use my neighbor. He asks who they are and I say I don't want to tell you, its my buisness. He then brings up a contract that has been signed that I'm obligated to and a fee of $500 for early liquidation damages. I ask how can I be held to a contract I didn't sign and have not seen. He says its legal and I have no choice. I asked why it wasn't mailed to the person on the account to sign, he said they come out to have the personal touch to business. I ask how is it personal when you aren't talking to the person on the account. I understand expenses can occur with closing accounts and dumpster pickup, but $500+ to cancel a less than one month contract is excessive. So much time went by with me trying to wait patiently for a call back each time I first tried contacting them. I was also going through my first miscarriage during July 2019 and was not concerned about dumpster services at the time. If I knew these legal bindings I'm being held to I would have been more persistent at canceling faster. I just want the account closed, the months I used paid by me, a dumpster removal fee and removed. I wish to settle this quickly without such fuss and excessive fees.

RESOLVED

I accepted that we did sign a contract regardless of who. I realized I had been angry at the world because of our unfortunate event and was taking it out on the wrong people. We are discussing what to do to properly cancel the account. They are just following their regulations and did nothing wrong.