Menu

R
Author of the complaint
3:54 pm EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

While on vacation in Puerto Vallarta we were invited to a timeshare presentation. The gentleman who invited us told us we would only be there for 90 min. After five (5) hours of conversation we decided to purchase a timeshare, the sales person basically push you to purchase there membership. Our sales representative Jose Varga told us we could rent these weeks, make lots of money and we were told how easy it was! Lies! Lies! Lies!
I bought the timeshare on 4/4/08. After looking at the contract we discover that all the Playa Del Sol told us was lies. On 4/8/08 we decided to cancel the membership. I call the PDS office on that date and there was no answer. The next morning I call the Santa Rosa office and was told to send the original documents to there office. I certified mail, fax and email my cancellation letter to Nuevo Vallarta and Santa Rosa, CA office. I did this within the five business day. I thought I would received my refund, not happening. I got an email from Jennifer Almaraz the Loan Officer saying, we must have a letter in writing before the recessionary period expires and that they did not receive anything from us, not even a call to make us a ware the documents were on the way. Therefore full transaction has been finalized. Unfortunately cancellation is no longer an option. At this point I have sent a complaint to PROFECO, The credit card company to dispute the charges and posted my story on websites to warn about PDS Scam.

More Playa Del Sol Grand complaints & reviews

58 comments
Aug 03, 2020 2:57 pm EDT

We have just been contacted by a guy saying that there is a class action going on for Playa Del Sol in Los Meurtos. He said he only wanted ID at the moment. Has anyone been contacted regarding this group? By learning from our mistakes we rented other peoples timeshares from Redweek.com very successfully. You get a condo in a nice resort for the price of a hotel room. Even rented from Playa del Sol in Cancun which was a lovely resort but just avoided the timeshare sell.

Jun 13, 2016 5:27 pm EDT

Hello
We sadly had the same experience as all of you. This is very sad and I moved and cant even find the information from Belair Collection . Please if anyone could provide me with that information.
This is horrible how can this people get away with this.
Someone need to stop them.
C Casey
my email is [email protected]

F
Dec 09, 2015 11:19 am EST

I also have a deeded, one-bedroom lock-off unit with the BelAir Group purchased through Playa Del Sol in 2008. I have stayed in both Cabo and Puerta Vallarta. I think I got a decent deal at 15K and aside from the ever increasing maintenance fees, which are only payable upon use, I really can't say anything bad. I can visit any time of the year and they always give me the same beautiful unit in PV. When you consider the price of the usual all-inlcusive package for 2, I got my money's worth and saved between $500-$1000 each trip.

Aug 05, 2015 10:37 pm EDT

I bought mine in 2008 also and have never stayed there. I was notified when the PDSG was sold to Belair Collection. I have tried for the last couple of years to contact someone to find out if I even still own a unit there. The only good thing is that my contract said that I only pay my maintenance fee when I stay there so I have never paid any maintenance fees. But I should still own a unit there. I have all of my papers.

A
Aug 05, 2015 2:59 pm EDT

I bought a Playa del Sol timeshare and it was one of the worst financial mistakes I ever made. I never intended to buy it, but I was forced into going to a presentation to get free show tickets when I was in Puerto Vallarta. The high-pressure sales person convinced me to sign on the dotted line, and I ended up with a timeshare. It was one of the hardest things to get rid of, and I lost about $20, 000 in the process. It was an expensive lesson learned. I found an article with complaints about this resort: http://www.timesharescam.com/timeshare-complaints-resorts-black-list/10-playa-del-sol-timeshare-complaints/

Mar 09, 2015 1:15 pm EDT

Bought ours in 2004, same issues, maintenance is now over $900. Have had no luck in exchanging even with Interval. Just a little advise. I have had several timeshare companies that has told me they had a buyer. SCAM! NO MATTER HOW CONFINCING. Please keep posting, because my fees are due in Jan 2016, and I seriously do not think I will send. Just wondering the consequences. If anyone else can give advise on what else to do, this would be greatly appreciated. Maybe we should all just stop paying,

Feb 24, 2015 7:48 pm EST

Count me in if there is any legal action. I have the name and telephone number of a lawyer here in Illinois that specializes in this stuff, but I've yet to contact him. Before we purchased we stayed at Costa Sur. We were shown a room that had been renovated and were told they would all be done within a year. We went back a 2 years later and NOTHING had been done. The next year we received a special assessment saying it was needed to upgrade Costa Sur (we purchased at the Grand). The contract said special assessments could only be levied in an emergency. In my mind the fact that these crooks promised 3 years earlier that the work was going to be done is proof it wasn't an emergency. I will never go back to Mexico!

Oct 29, 2014 1:06 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Thousands of International travelers, particularly from the US and Canada, have fallen victims of timeshare fraud while vacationing. Resort developers hire skilled salesmen to represent their timeshares as many different attractive packages, such as financial investments, deeded properties, or vacation clubs, just to increase their sales. http://www.timesharescam.com/

N
Mar 19, 2014 3:28 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

The salesperson said he makes his money from the commission when he sells the unit so he has to sell it. The contract I received says there are no commissions. I received the contract after they said my three days to cancel was up. I did not sign the contract and called to talk to the sales person and the number is a non-working number. I called the customer service number to see why the number was no good, and they told me they don't have the number or info for who the salesperson was and to go online and get the number. They informed me that my three days were up to rescind the contract. If I have any complaints, send them in writing to customer service who I was talking to. They said they have no record of the sales staff and no number because they are in a different department, as if they can't communicate with the other departments and have no way to find the information. I have no number to contact the guy who lied to me. http://www.timesharescam.com/

D
Dec 18, 2013 11:43 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

My wife and I also purchased here in 2004 and have gone back once. They tried to sell me on the point system then and I declined. I also would like to be involved in a class action suit because I cannot get my week after paying for the maintenance fee. If I don't pay the 2014 fee, will I lose the right to sue?
[email protected]
[protected]

A
Dec 15, 2013 1:11 pm EST

has anyone transferred their membership to the new Bel Air collection? they seem to be better managed, but we have had similar bad experiences with the whole thing.

B
Nov 03, 2012 12:02 pm EDT

My husband and I also were scammed by Playa del Sol Grand timeshare is 2003! We too were promised 10 break a way weeks that could be sold for $1, 000. That did not happen!

These are very very slick and polished sales people as stated previously. My husband and I are interested in becoming part of a lawsuit against them, Our contact email address is .

Oct 15, 2012 2:37 pm EDT

We were ripped off by these people by their lies every time we went to use our week. We bought a fractional share, then told they don't have such a thing. We bought a 1 bedroom lockout, then we were told that was a "conceptional" plan and that they don't have one. One lady said they did, we booked it, and on arrival the desk man said they don't have such a thing. Almost got in a fist fight with him. After having them change our paper work several times we ended up with a membership. (Too what?) Now they are gone! Any legal options?

Nov 04, 2011 8:09 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I'm also interested in any class action lawsuit...I own my PDS outright, paid for it in 2005 - but haven't paid the ridiculous maintenance fees in years. I have no intention on paying them either. Also, I was contacted today by some company (I think the one referenced above) with the same deal to buy my timeshare at an enormous cost (I paid $13, 500 - they were offering nearly $50, 000). Reading the other comments, I'm assuming they will send me some "contract" asking for money up front for the "fees" of the transaction. I'm not about to pay or sign anything...what a complete joke. Waisted $13, 500 on a timeshare 6 years ago...and will NEVER go back to Mexico again. I'll still with Hawaii form now on...where at least they are goverened by US laws. [email protected]

K
Oct 31, 2011 11:26 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

We were also ripped off... is there a group action going? can we join?

Jul 16, 2011 8:19 pm EDT

Can anyone provide current, correct info on the status of Grupo Playa Del Sol? There is so much chatter on numerous web sites about this company and how it has deceived and cheated numerous clients. What is their current ownership status in their properties: Playa Del Sol Grand, Playa Del Sol Los Muertos, Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, Playa Del Sol Los Cabos. It seems that all of these properties have been sold or somehow conveyed to new owners and that new timeshare operators are doing business at some of these locations. Does Grupo Playa Del Sol still exist as an operating company? Does it still have offices in California and to what extent are their operations in America. Based on the title Grupo Playa Del Sol S. A. de C. V. it would appear that they are a Mexican company; are that incorporated in the USA? Does anyone have facts?

Jul 07, 2011 7:04 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

It's so sad to see that the same slimy tactics are continued at Playa Del Sol. In 2008 We too were duped into buying at their resort when they promised their "broker" would rent out 6 of our bonus weeks at $1500 each to cover the cost of most of the timeshare. We even Paid the fake broker $500 for which we received nothing and when we contacted him he yelled at us that he had "done his job" by having a websight that has Playa's name on it... but out unit specifically was never marketed or rented. Out salesguy (Grant) also assured us that we were purchasing directly from PDS and that the mortgage would be through Mexico, but when he handed us an application if was for a US credit card. We filled it out unknowingly and imagine our surprise 2 weeks later when we got a credit card in the mail with a $16, 000 balance on it. We tried to dispute the charges with Bank of America, but they said that since we signed the paperwork - we owe them that money. We tried to dispute it with PDS - yeah right good luck there. It is sickening that they do this over and over - and like us, i'm guessing most people who buy never want to step foot there ever again, and so PDS sells the same weeks over and over with the same lies. They really need to be shut down and YES we will gladly join a class action lawsuit - [email protected]

B
Jun 29, 2011 1:16 am EDT

I read the membership purchase agreement and in section 13 and 20 it talks about Default and Liquidated Damages. I read it and it sounds like as long as you do not have a loan on the property, that if you stop paying the maintaince fees that the club will take it back. I don't know if anyboby else read this. If so, what are your thoughts about it.

Jun 28, 2011 6:44 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

They operate out of Nevada. I believe we need to purse a class action lawsuit on this side of the border. You seem to be doing a lot with the situation. May be able to get better results in the U.S.

Jun 27, 2011 7:26 pm EDT

Playa Del Sol sold me a timeshare, promising me that they would rent it out as this was to be a business opportunity. They never once rented it. I tried to get out of the deal a few years ago. They tried to ruin my credit history. I negotiated with them through the Profeco, but they arrogantly did not pay the Profeco or me. Now I am in Mexican courts trying to get this issue resolved. Someone needs to go after these dishonest people! They leave everyone with a bad taste for Mexico. Captain George.

May 28, 2011 8:56 pm EDT

I was taken by Holiday Property Management and RElience Escrow Company. Of course only after beign taken by Palya del sol first. I am in start the facebook page and stop these people signed still crying [email protected]

May 26, 2011 10:08 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have also been contacted by Holiday Property Management who wanted to purchase my timeshare at Play del Sol for $26, 900. When my fianance company told me I could not get the funds for the tranfer fee 10% . Holiday Property Management Jack Miller said that they could work out a deal for me to only come up with 51% of the transfer fee and they would come up with the reminaing 49%. Reliance Escrow is also involed Neill Saumders. Has anyone out there been scammed by these guys. [email protected]

May 15, 2011 3:21 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

In that case, why don't they deduct it from the purchase price. To me, it totally sounds like another scam!

May 12, 2011 2:23 pm EDT

Does anyone know anything about a company called Holiday Property Management? They claim that they have a buyer that wants to buy 60 properties of PDS for a price of 27, 900. This mystery buyer puts a bunch of money into a company called Reliance Escrw. In our case over 30 grand. They Email a contract that looks legit, but then the red flag comes up. They want 10% of the money for transer fees, they claim it's because they are dealing with Mexico and by doing so would speed up the process. Having been burned before with this property I don't think throwing another 3 grand into it is wise. If it is too good to be true it probabply is.

Mar 24, 2011 5:28 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Good luck! I think that is extremely difficult if at all possible. Let me know if you are successful.

Mar 24, 2011 2:59 am EDT

Thus far we have not had issues using our weeks there, but upon careful inspection of our paperwork I see nothing regarding transfer of memvership (which I thought was fractional ownership but see written nowhere). Anyone know if it is possible to sell off your PDS membership?

Mar 14, 2011 3:57 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Looks like many people have been ripped off by the Playa del Sol group. I was also a victim. The problems I have is that everytime I want to get a week at the Playa del sol Grand, something is wrong and it is not available. last year I went to Los Cabos and a week before I left Los Angeles, they told me it wasn't available. At least they gave us another hotel when I screamed. Also, there seems to be no limit to how much they canr raise the maintenance fees. I started with $349.00 and five years later they over $ 700.00.
What does it take to initiate a class action lawsuit? if nobody does it soon, I may light up the fire. Please send me any information to: [email protected]

Feb 25, 2011 5:02 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

My husband and I also went through this nightmare and were told we could sell our weeks with a third party company. We paid $15k for our 3 weeks per year, and got a bunch of bonus weeks. We have yet to use it and have not received a dime nor notice of the timeshare being rented out to anyone.

Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm EST

Dear Timeshare Owners,

We invite you to get to know our services at G&G Mexican Timeshare Solutions. We are a Mexican based company that specializes in cancelling contracts purchased under fraudulent premises. We offer free consultations to anybody interested in our services to discuss the details of their case.

We are empathetic to victimized consumers and we work on a contingency basis; which means no upfront fees, and if we don't achieve results, you don't pay us a cent.

We look forward to helping you in your claim.

Customer Service,

[email protected]

[protected]

www.timesharescam.com

Dec 29, 2010 10:13 pm EST

Is it deja vu? Everyone here is having the same experience as I have had with Grupo Playa del Sol. Like all of you I fell for their lies and like a babe in the woods was led to the slaughter. After much study of the time share industry I have reached the conclusion that it is largely a fraudlent industry and Playa Del Sol is exhibit one: a listing of the many deceptive and fraudulent timeshare business practices reads like it is Paya Del Sol's sales play book and business plan. Anyone contemplating buying a time share, especially in Mexico, do your homework first and research time share complaints, laws, contracts and previous buyer experiences...and then don't do it. As for legal action, I don't know. I have learned in my web research that time share contracts in foreign countries for properties in foreign countries are not protecected by American state or federal law but are subject to foreign legal jurisdiction. I am not a lawyer, nor have any legal training but it seems that you would have to sue in Mexican courts, but so would they if you walked out on your contract. Supposedly they can sell your "debt" to an American collection agency and they can try to harass and intimidate you into paying but how can they get a court judgement in the US when the contract is solely subject to Mexican courts? Open question does anyone have an answer?Secondly, the Federal Trade Commission does not regard non-deeded timeshare contracts( such as sold by PDS) as a contract for real estate or "real" property but rather "personal" property; I am not sure of all of the ramifications of this distinction but I have never heard of a " foreclosure" on personal property. Perhaps they are limited to taking back the membership or right-to-use for non-payment;again, fine with me, I just want out and away from these crooks. My membership is paid in full so I am not subject to a loan obligation, solely the ongoing maintenance fee. In any case were Playa Del to attempt to enforce collection action or compel payment I would have a lawyer review my membership agreement for legalities and loopholes- a few hundred dollars to a lawyer would certainly be cheaper than Grupo Playa del Sol leeching off me in perpetuity. I for one have served them notice with a registered, return-receipted, notarized letter that I am resigning my membership in their vacation club and will no longer forward any payments of any type. That was two years ago and so far they send me periodic bills but have taken no action; hopefully they wait too long and the statute of limitations expires. I have also made the decision that I would rather pay legal fees to fight them than to allow them to milk me forever.

Nov 03, 2010 1:56 am EDT

Is there anyway to resale the timeshare? We paid cash and if we stop paying the maintence fee... well I suppose they will take legal action. We just got off the phone with them disputing charges, and they miracously found the payment...Please count us in on any legal action. They need to be hung from a tall tree with a short rope... [email protected]

D
Sep 27, 2010 6:59 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Please add me, as well. What do we have to do to begin a class action lawsuit?

Z
Sep 05, 2010 3:47 am EDT

Good for you who actually got to cancel your "contract". I'm wondering if anyone has been successful to sue these people. My experience with them goes back to 2004 or so. That was right before I was having a brain surgery. I was under lots of stress and these people wouldn't go till got a signature and my credit card from me. They cleaned up all I had in savings. For people who think it should have been easy to just walk away from it, they should go through the experience themselves to see how persistant and convincing they can get and what lies they resort to. They also give you promises that you can easily cancel or sell it back, which were absolutely false. I had the same experience of not being able to cancel and not being able to reserve the rooms whenever I wanted to travel and when I had my friends to call for rooms as customers, they had rooms availalbe for exact rooms I had asked for. Of course, the "switching" company is another scammer. You don't ever get to rent the your "space" since they do it for themselves and these are impossible to sell. I ended up giving it up for free to an attorney to just stop paying for the raising annual maintenance fees. I still get extremely upset thinking about it and I wish I had the time and the energy to fight them back. I just gave up. I was too sick to fight it and makes even more upset. I felt like such a fool, but they are the scammers and I hope to god someone would get them for good. From what I remember they had thought it very thoroughly and had iron clad contracts drawn that made it near impossible to fight them back. I know I felt helpless and felt as I was being kicked when already down.

Aug 19, 2010 12:18 pm EDT

You can add me to the list of disgruntled 'owners'! I bought about 5 years ago. I bought based on lies the sales tieshare salesman told me about renting the property and free breakaway weeks (also presumeably rentable. Shame on you Oscar). In the time I've owned it, the maintenance goes up 10% every year (contract limit), they have sold off one property (Downtown) withough letting anyone know, they have merged with Howard Johnsons on another property, they never have any availability and to add insult to injury they sent an assessment to all its owners. I have asked for financials and been refused, I am at my wits end with them! They are a total scam. I know there are many who feel the same way. If there is a class action suit being filed please let me know. I know it is worse because they are not even registered as a company in the US they are only in Mexico. I would start something myself if I knew how. Please help. My email is [email protected]

T
Aug 03, 2010 1:35 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I would be very interested in joining legal action against Playa Del Sol. I would love to get out of this nightmare of timeshare ownership. I am way beyond my cancellation period. I just want OUT!

Jul 27, 2010 10:25 am EDT

My husband and I had the same experience in August of 2005. We were on our honeymoon in Puerta Vallarta and attended the 90 minute presentation (that was more than 3 hours). We said "no" two times and then when the third saleswomen came to our table we finally broke down and agreed to a $5000 deal that inlcuded one week every other year and 20 breakaway weeks. I have tried to book several times (a year in advance) and they have NEVER had an opening available at ANY of thier locations. I have also tried to use the breakaway weeks and it seems like no one knows what I am talking about and these do not exist. Finally, we were also told that we could "rent" our weeks or breakaway weeks and re-coop our $5000 so the following year we contacted the rental company that was recommended by our salesperson. This company promised they could rent out property if we paid them a fee of $500, unfortunatley this was a scam and we never heard back from that company after they received the $500. If there is a lawsuit please let me know! My e-mail address is [email protected]

L
Jul 16, 2010 1:16 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have had the same experience as everyone else here and would be interested in pursuing a group action.

Jun 23, 2010 7:25 pm EDT

Is there a pending lawsuit against Playa Del Sol group? If so, can anyone please forward any information. I was also thinking of starting a 'Anti Playa Del Sol' site on Facebook in hopes of generating as much publicity against this company as possible! Please advise, thank you. [email protected]

I

We purchased our "Fractional Ownership" in 2006. Our Sales Counselor, Mario Antonio Rivera Hernandez, gave us the same presentation regarding Breakaway Weeks. We already owned two other time shares and were very hesitant to purchase a third. They also set us up with Larry Petters. They went so far as to present us with appraisals for the other two. Once we saw the appraisals, we agreed to purchase. Selling the other two more than covered our new purchase. Plus, he "threw in" 5 breakaway weeks that we could rent out for $1, 000 each. When we got home, I called Larry Petters again and paid him a $500 marketing fee to sell my other two time shares. He also told me the breakaway weeks would rent for $1, 500 a piece...BONUS! After he got my money, I never heard from him again. Now, I have 3 timeshares and I have spent close to $45k on them.

Our sales counselor also sold us a "One Bedroom Lock Off." This is noted throughout our paperwork. I specifically asked him to define this several times because he was selling us the two bedroom unit. I did not understand why he called it a 1 bed lockoff. He said it was a 1 bedroom unit with an attached studio lockoff. We could use them together or split them up and exchange one. The first time I tried to exchange it together, I found out that we only have a one bedroom. I called member services and the woman I spoke to told me that this type of unit doesn't exist. We were traveling with friends and we brought them back the next day and they toured the same unit with the us and the SALES MANAGER and he went on and on about having the 2 bedrooms.

We gave them $6, 000 down and financed the rest. We were hit by this financial crisis pretty hard and we stopped making payments a year ago. We still owe them about $10k. When they tried to collect, I started fighting them. A couple of months ago, someone called me and said they could reinstate our agreement. I didn't bite. On Monday, I received a letter from a collection agency. I don't even know where to begin with them. Our credit has tanked anyway, but we aren't in such bad shape that we are contemplating bankruptcy. We are trying to get everything back on track. If I reinstate, I am pretty sure from all of the posts that we will never be able to use it anyway. I am thinking about using a "Getaway Vacation" from Interval and going down there in person when we have the cash. I don't know that it will do us any good, but my paperwork is so misleading and they literally stole from us. We feel very violated. If anyone wants to file a suit, count us in.

Jan 05, 2022 12:56 pm EST

we finally quit paying our maintenance fees. We bought ours in 2006. This year they have sicced a debt collection outfit called Fairshare Solutions on us. I don't know what they can do to us, but they have undoubtedly been renting out the unit and pocketing the rent. We don't live in the USA. Suspense.

T
Jun 14, 2010 10:56 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

My husband and I also purchased not only one time share but 2! We bought in Cabo and then our cruise line went to PV. I knew they had a place there so we spent all day asking them questions about the Cabo Place. We were talked into buying another 2 bedroom lockoff...and that they would send us a check for $20, 000 in a few weeks to BUY back some time so they could rent it out. No money of course...we were very dumb and I have really just forgoten about the whole thing and just make my $400 a month payments. We took out a second on our home...makes me sick...

They have stolen over $60, 000 from us... So yes, include me in the law suit...these are very bad people..mot only that, but just now I have received a bill for $900 for EXTRAORDINARY charges because of the economy...These people have gone too far...We must stop them and get our mony back! Lorrie and Mike [protected]