PHH Mortgage Corporation Logo

PHH Mortgage Corporation

Having problems with PHH Mortgage Corporation?

3000 Leadenhall Rd
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 66002, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648

Complaints & Reviews

loan modification

PHH Mortgage is a very dishonest and corrupt organization to deal with. After declining me for a refinance in July of 2010 they told me that I need a loan Modification not a refinance on my loan with them that was at almost 7%. With current rates under 5% I just wanted to get the current market rate on the property. When I contacted the Loan Mod team they said the process would take a couple of months. I submitted my loan modification in August of 2010. After repeated calls they finally confirmed that they had everything in September. I called in every other week to confirm that the file was still moving forward and was always assured everything was still in and "under review". Then I receieved a letter from PHH 3 months later asking for additional information. I immediately sent them the additional information and then after repeated calls they confirmed everything again was in and "under review". After 6 months PHH called me and said they needed a new hardship letter and updated information. Basically I had to start over with the entire process. So in February of 2011 I sent a new hardship letter and all my paperwork over once again. Again I was told they had everything only to be told a month later that I needed additional information. I called in every week and was always told everything was in and it was under review and several associates even told me they would "escalate" my file and how they couldn't believe it had been going on so long. Finally in March I receive a letter threatening to drop my file from consideration because I didn't provide the proper documentation to them. I once again called immediately and sent everything that was requested in. I confirmed with 3 different agents that once again everything was in. Once again they asked for more information. After 9 months of this I was finally told they were unable to work with me, because I didn't qualify for HAMP, but that they would now review it internally for a modification. Then a week later I was told the file is no longer under review.

WHAT A HORRIFIC EXPERIENCE. I have never ever dealt with a bank that is so incompetent and dishonest in my life. They continued to run me around and get me to send paperwork on top of paperwork and gave me mixed answers on the phone. I spent hundreds of hours on this process and in the end the result was Nothing.

• Rb
    R. Brigance Apr 30, 2011

well my friend was dealing with Chase Mortgage and she fell in to hard times and tried the "Obama Plan" and was told by chase almost exactly the same thing you just described. She sent 100 of dollars of copies of forms, mailing, faxes etc over and over and over just to be told we got it then boom we didnt get this form. I really believe right now ALL mortgage companies are doing the exact same thing. I have been having problems also with PHH since my bank sold me to them. I got behind 3 months and sent them a payment they refused it said it had to be 2 payments I told them they take one or come get the house they refused sent it back then they got it back and I fought for days and they kept saying 2 payments but finally they took it and cashed it so they couldnt send it back. Then I sent 100 one week and then 34o next week and my payments are 421 so they said they couldnt take that either cause they dont accept partial payments I said send it back and I will combine them both they said No they had to have two payments although now Im only 2 behind but they took them after another bout of fighting. PHH is nothing but a rip off and they dont want there money little here now and later they want it NOW even though they are still getting it with late payments they are a greedy company just like my friend found out with Chase. Oh yea after 1 (one) year of doing all these forms and stuff what did Chase do but sell to another company her loan and she had to start all over however in less than 3 months they foreclosed on her house and has gone to court with all her stuff and from help from operation Hope or whatever it is called and which is assoicated with the "Obama plan" which says they will get your loan down to a reasonable payment and locked in to a fixed APR and stuff well guess what her payments will not change her APR will be changing and not fixed. So beware of all these scams out there. I honestly believe they (mortagage companies) got us in this mess on purpose to get all these houses back so they could double dip. And here we are sitting ducks for another round of being ripped off

• Wi
    wid Jun 23, 2011

I had the same problem until they sold my house. if anybody want to sue phh please let me know i want to be part of it

Mike-clockman Aug 27, 2011

I had the same problem with the Loan Modification. At the end of it all, over a year later, my payment droped by $30.00 a month, my principle was raised by over $1000.00, and my term to pay off the morgage was raised by 7 months. I also had credit reporting problems. 5 months after this was completed, they said I was about $1000.00 short on my escrow! How can that be in only 5 months? They saidwere going to pay that off with some past principle money that was paid, and week after week after week, someone told me they were going to do that RIGHT NOW. It never got done. Then one person told me that the case hasnt gone to the courts yet, and I would have to wait til it did. 6 weeks later I call, and now they tell me I waited too long.
    WHAT A NIGHTMARE! THIS COMPANY SUCKS!
    I would sue if I could!
    Michael Harry
    Chicopee Ma
    [email protected]

angela new Jan 27, 2013

PHH mortgage has really messed us up! Not only our credit, but our money too.
    We applied for a home modification to get our interest rate down, They advised us not to make any payments until the modification was complete.Six months and still no response from PHH, after calling them every other day, our property got assigned to a foreclosure attorney in Mississippi. They kept asking me to send in more papers, update more papers, they are missing this and that. Well, since we were getting further and further behind with our payments, we decided to reinstate the loan since it was obvious PHH wasnt going to help us. We sent in $22, 455.71.
    This is what the attorneys reinstatement letter said: $20, 760.16 went to payments and late charges..$305.17 to additional late charges, $16.79 for pending late charges, $735.84 for corporate advance balance, $336.75 other fees, $165.00 and $101.00 for attorney cost and fees.
    This is not at all how PHH website broke down the money. We were charged so much more in late fees and other charges. My balance before this whole thing started was 46, 000 and now with paying 22 thousand dollars, its $41, 000??? And on top of all this, they raised our monthly payment more than 200 dollars a month because they say we are negative in our escrow account. How can this be, when in June 2012 we paid all that money to get everything current. Someone please help. This is crazy.

Our original loan amount was 52000 opened in 2005.

Resolved do not refinance with them!

These people are ridculous! I have recently refinanced my loan (That is with them). They took so long almost 3 months to process, asking me for paperwork every day. Even though they already had it. Finally we set a closing date. FIVE minutes before the closing they call and say the loan isn't ready to close! I was livid! They rescheduled the closing for the following Monday. A half hour before the closing they called and tried to cancel again! I put up so much of a stink that they sent someone to do it that night at 8:00! While this whole mess was going on, I had to make a mortgage payment so that I wasn't delinquent on my loan. They assured me that I would receive all of the funds back since the payoff was already quoted. Once the loan was paid off I called to see the status of my refund. One girl told me my refund would be $1800.00 and it would be coming in 10 business days. Well, 10 business days came and went and I called to see what the issue was. They told me the rfund would be $1500.00 and it would be 15 days until I got it. Once again no refund so I called the office of the president, I got the runaround and finally she explained that it would be up to three months because when I paid the payment they applied it all to escrow so they needed to run an analysis to see it I was due a refund. I explained sternly that this was nonsense and that I wanted all $1236.00 refunded NOW! Needless to say I am only getting refunded $995 this is a lot less than it was supposed to be! Do not let them foll you. Stay away! I will be contacting Fannie Mae (their backer) to file a formal complaint!

loan modification

I want to share with you a few facts about PHH Mortgage Services.
A year and a half ago, I applied for a loan modification like most of us and the same scenario happened to me.
I also asked several times for them to provide the information about who is the owner of the note on my loan.
Recently, after correspondences with the Federal Trade Commission, PHH, and the N.J. Attorney General, I got a nice answer from Lori Emdin who is the Presidential Liaison in PHH, stating that the investor on my loan, FANNIE MAE does not allow PHH to offer a modification because I am current on my loan. I provided all necessary documentation showing how severely my income dropped during the recent economic turmoil. In response, I got a letter telling me that since they could not ascertain any financial hardship, I do not qualify for a loan modification.

In 2008, Fannie Mae got an enormous bail out from the government and right now has a new venue to make money by investing in penny loans bought from other lenders. This is the exact reason why a subsidiary service like PHH does everything to break your legs and file foreclosure instead of helping homeowners with loan modifications. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac do not want to deal with us directly because it would be absolutely ashamed and disastrous to let the public know about the government’s investment to start foreclosure on American’s properties and generate money for them.

SEND YOUR STORY TO THE FEDERAL TRADE COMISSION and THE GENERAL ATTORNEY IN NJ and explain your
situation and ask for an investigation.

ASK PHH WHO IS THE INVESTOR OF YOUR LOAN? YOU WILL BE SURPRISE!

THIS IS A SCANDAL OF THE FIRST DEGREE AGAINST THE AMERICAN PUBLIC

1800 Thibodo Road, Suite 310
Vista, California 92081

Re: FTC File Ref #[protected]

Dear Representative Issa,

Your letter to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency on behalf of your constituent, Mr. Jerzy Wasowski of Vista, was forwarded to the Federal Trade Commission for reply.
We appreciate Mr. Wasowski’s concerns regarding the problems they experienced with PHH Mortgage Services. As you know, the Commission has been directed by Congress to act in the interest of all consumers to prevent deceptive and unfair acts or practices, and complaints from consumers provide valuable information that is frequently used to develop or support Commission enforcement initiatives. However, as a practical matter, the Commission’s enforcement resources are finite, and we cannot take formal action in every instance. When we receive a complaint, we make an evaluation to determine whether to devote further resources to the matter. As a matter of prosecutorial discretion, we must consider such factors as the pervasiveness of the problem, the extent to which consumers are injured, whether the practice appears to violate the Federal Trade Commission Act, and how the problem fits into our overall enforcement strategy. We will maintain a record of Mr. Wasowski’s complaint in case we receive additional information indicating that further action should be taken.

We appreciate your interest in this matter. Please let us know whenever we can be of service.
Sincerely,
Consumer Response Center

• Fe
    Fed Up with PHH/Century 21 May 24, 2014

My issue with PHH is that in 2008 we went through the loan modification process. Sincec then, every November they stop cashing checks and entering them as received. Then by february they are foreclosing on us. Which at that time i have to wait for them to return, at the same time the last 4 payments they "never received", along with $3000 lawyer fees. I started tracking payments in 2012. When they tried to foreclose, that day, i contacted their attorney about it before they even had documentation to start the process. They didn't want to talk to me without them being notified I was In foreclosure. I said ok, but to let you know they are in the wrong, i will send you the backup payments i saved to cover this, along with proof of my cashiers checks, overnight delivery receipt from the post office along with the name of the person that signed for each one. They had my info in their hands the next day before their clients paperwork. A week later i got the now 4 months overpayment back along with the attorney dropped their portion of the fees, $2000. I still had to pay the PHH fees. 2 months later they suddenly said we were short in escrow, resulting in our monthly payments going up almost $200 a month. The amount they claimed we were short was dollar for dollar what the attorney dropped. Our Insurance and taxes had not chaNged And our escrow balance is running the same month for month as previous years corresponding months. But the interest paid is significantly higher, even noticed by our tax preparer. After the increase we switched insurance that was $90 cheaper a month. but our payments still never changed. Escrow still on track. Principal still running the same. Interest increased again. So it appears they are pocketing any changes since the drop from .8 percent to 5 from our modification. This year, they were not able to force forclosure on us as I am sure they got wordscfrom the attorney about the documentation of them holding payments when i had proof they had them. Instead, i now receive up to 3 calls a day from them, no messages left, starting 5 days before the month, every day till the 10th. Then they start leaving messages and mail out an intent to foreclose. Our payment does not even need to be in till the 16. We already have an attorney i turn monthly receipts of cashiers check and post office overnight mail receipts to. he is just watching and desperately waiting for them to send the letter that they have started foreclosure processing. He said this is a known tactic lendors are using to get their money back they loose in your modifications.

• Ju
    julebug Aug 05, 2014

We recently applied for modification through PHH. We were turned down despite a $30, 000 reduction in salary and 4 months of unemployment. The solution was to raise a payment so we could make up what was past due. Which would have increased our payment by $500 for 6 months. We ended up borrowing from family to make up the past due. Still barely getting by and unable to repair our vehicles that we use to get to work. Seems PHH/Fannie Mae don't care to help customers who were in good standing until faced with financial ruin. Makes me sick that we had to bail out Fannie Mae, but no help to PEOPLE in a situation that is not controllable.

home mortgage

This letter is in concerns to phh mortgage (aka: century 21 mortgage, mortgage service center)

Company information:
Phh mortgage
1 mortgage way
New jersey
United states
Phone: [protected]-6914
Phhmortgagesolutions.com, mortgagequestions.com

I have had our mortgage since 2007. I worked at century 21 as was told to go through this company that they were best to deal with. I was given wrong information

This whole ordeal started when I made 2 mortgage payments to them, and they applied to the end of the loan instead of to the next 2 due payments. we then find out (only by looking at my credit) that it was showing us being in past due status? I called the company and they never could tell me why or explain this to me. all that they could tell us is that this could not be reversed and we would be behind.

finally after talking to many employees, I am told they applied to the end of the loan and that it couldn't be reversed and until we could make the extra payment we would be behind or our mortgage! they tell me they are also charging me a $10.00 per day for a late fee. they say there's nothing we can do about this but to pay it.

Our daughter was special needs and required 24 hour a day care so we had an income reduction. I call the mortgage company about the so called “late payments”, who says we can get the "home saver advance"to catch up all late fees/missed pmts. all of our income and debt information was taken over the phone and we were told that we were approved and that we would get the paper work soon.

Once we received this paperwork, we got all of the paper work saying we were approved & this was signed and then sent back to them. we were told to keep mailing our pmts as normal. we did this and they kept “holding payments”. once we contacted them we were told that they didn't get the payment","oh we haven't got it"even though it was mailed 3 weeks before.

We then find out per loss and litigation (per linda) that the checks were there and just hadn't been applied? she said they were there in"loss and litigation"she said she did this for us and the home saver should kick in soon and we will show current and this would be deleted off my credit. I notice in october its still showing late on my credit report? every check that I mailed them, they would wait three weeks or more to apply to my account or would say they couldn’t accept from me.

after many calls trying to find out where the checks that we were mailing them has went to, then they are saying we were now" having the home saver advance pulled” that the program” was retired. I do not understand how they can deny you for a program that you have already been told you were approved for and have all of the paperwork for.

so now we have to” catch up"on 4 pmts (which is what was supposed to be rolled into the home save advance) plus late fees for 4 months that we were charged!?!? at no fault of our own. so now, because of phh my credit took 4 hits showing late, plus we have 4 pmts to make, as well as late fees for 4 months time! we have spoke with people named linda and alex in loss and litigation who said we were"fine". all that I want is I want this off my credit as this isn’t our fault we got approved paperwork, then was told"oh it was retired”, so we pulled it from your acct? how can we get approved in july, but then pulled in october?

After many calls, we were them told per joan that we apparently were "sent the wrong paper work by them and this is why it got kicked out of the system”? we were never notified of this! in calling for months, no one ever mentioned this. joan said a mr. joe hill got our paperwork by mistake and we got his? which is not our fault? it had my name on the paperwork that I signed and returned. not a mr. joe hill.

My husband is military and has been for 10 years now. we will be moving soon and thanks to phh it now looks like we were about to"lose' our home, which isn't true! now, we are messed on getting a new home with my name on it as well as any other loans! this is showing on my credit as late! no one will let us redo our mortgage since the loan was in my maiden name my name must be on the new loan per mortgage loan rules. but, because of phh mortgage, no one can approve me since I am, “past due on a current mortgage”.

we spoke with several people, one names linda in loss and litigation, one names alex, one name porche stevens, one names desiree, one named tanarra and the last one was named joan.

I requested a payoff statement from phh and they said they can not give that information over they phone, only per mail. I get this and the statement says that we owe more now in 2010, then we even financed in 2007. after paying at least $27, 000 to our home over the past few years.

We have contacted the bbb, as well as the ftc. I also have done hours of research on phh mortgage scams and just learned they are doing the exact same thing to me, as they are to thousands of other people. this is something that you should be aware of. hardworking people such as me and my husband, who is serving our country, are getting ripped off by phh mortgage. it is not fair and I do plan on going as high as I possibly can with this so other innocent people such as us will not be ripped off in this major mortgage scam that phh is trying to pull.

Here are a few of the thousands of resources on this exact same company that I have found.

Resources:
Http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-phh-mortgage/
Http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/phh-mortgage-c193737.html
Http://phhmortgage.wordpress.com/your-phh-mortgage-complaints/
Http://www.afscanhelp.com/companies/mortgage-companies/phh-mortgage-services.cfm
Http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/phh-mortgage-c360020.html#c789210

This is an issue that I feel needs to be resolved by the responsible parties, and that is phh mortgage and the fraudulent people in the company.

• Jd
    jdd1983 Oct 24, 2010

If anyone else agrees with me please feel free to comment that they are a scam! We do not even know where to pay our pmt this coming month in fear they will keep the $ and not think twice.

• Da
    dallas27 Oct 26, 2010

We have went through the very same thing and I want to go through the links you mentioned. They are actually foreclosing on our home now, after holding the payments then returning them to us when they did finally "find" them stating our file was forwarded to the atty to proceed with foreclosure. Unbelievable! Any additional info you have would be very helpful.
    Dallas D.

maxine56_ Apr 12, 2011

I have gone through the Loan Modification Program with this company and it has been unbelievable. It is April 12, and I still have not gotten my 1098 from these people, is only part of the nightmare I am on with this company. There customer service is the worst, they say they will send or email you something and never do.
    They don't care bottom line!!! I have talked to at least 20 different people since Jan 2011. I was approved in February 2010 (after almost l whole year after I first applied) for the Loan Modification Program, my payment decreased enough that I could afford it until my income would change, so I thought I was set!!! Oh no a year later they are telling me (There Missourri location) That my house is in foreclosure and there is no record of any payment for a 2 years. I was shocked disgusted, called once a week to find out what the heck was the issue!!! Everytime talking to someone different, and each one had a different story.
    Now, just last week they sent me a payment due for lack of escrow and my monthly payment is going up almost 400 dollars a month. What!!!
    So my income has'nt gotten any better, so how am I suppose to pay this. My original agreement for my Loan Modification was that they borrowed more on the equity of my house to help pay arrearage and put money into escrow for my property taxes for 2 years!! Where is that money????? I pay my own property insurance direct monthly.
    So what is going on!!! Now after reading all these complaints against this company I am scared that I will end up losing my only investment due to the ignorance and lack of human decentency.
    Do Not use this mortgage company!!!
    Thank you all for sharing your stories also!!!

servicing a loan

You can NEVER reach anyone on the phone to ask a question about your loan or about a fee they have charged. If you ever do reach someone, they NEVER call you back, so you never get an answer & you have to call back, get transferred 5x, retell your story 5x & sit on hold again. It feels like there is no one behind the name, that my $ is just going to a big internet black hole.

Chris Shumaker Oct 07, 2010

I am having some of the same issues... I have completed loan modification documents from PHH Mortgage three different times in the past year. During this time I have been receiving foreclosure notices even when I am doing everything that PHH instructs me to do. Each time I have been told that I am "APPROVED" for the modification, and I begin to make my payments. Within three months I always get a letter telling me that I have been denied for the modification. I just completed another modification on August 1st 2010, and have just began to make my payments as scheduled on September 1st, 2010. I was in disbelief when I received a letter from the courts telling me that my home was being sold due to foreclosure on October 12th, 2010 to the highest cash bidder. I have been on the phone with PHH each month regarding these letters, and they keep reassuring me that it is a mistake, and it will be taken care of. Needless to say... I have hired an attorney, and have EVERY document that they have sent me that proves that I have been approved for their modifications. My attorney says that I have a very strong case against them, but unfortunately I will have to allow the home to foreclose before I can do anything about it!! PHH IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER SEEN! Has anyone else noticed that they give you a bogus extention number to return calls to the same person?? I have never spoke to the same person on the phone, and my phone bill shows over 32 hours that I have logged trying to speak to them about this situation.

-- Chris - Riverview, Florida

mortgage scam

I applied for a mixed use refinance through PHH mortgage. They approved me and set closing date. However, they later informed me company representative made a mistake and they don't even offer mixed use mortgages. They charged my credit card 500 and refuse to return the money to me. Clearly, a bait and switch scam that they have perfected because once you call them and try to resolve matter they get really cocky and belligerent and basically tell you there's nothing you can do about it.

• Jd
    jdd1983 Oct 23, 2010

This letter is in concerns to PHH mortgage (AKA: Century 21 mortgage, mortgage service center)

Company information:
    PHH Mortgage
    1 Mortgage Way
    New Jersey
    Phone: 800-848-6914 800-848-6914
    phhmortgagesolutions.com, mortgagequestions.com

I have had our mortgage since 2007. I worked at Century 21 as was told to go through this company that they were best to deal with. I was given wrong information

This whole ordeal started when I made 2 mortgage payments to them, and they applied to the END of the loan instead of to the next 2 due payments. We then find out (only by looking at my credit) that it was showing us being in past due status? I called the company and they never could tell me why or explain this to me. All that they could tell us is that this could not be reversed and we would be behind.

Finally after talking to many employees, I am told they applied to the end of the loan and that it couldn't be reversed and until we could make the extra payment we would be behind or our mortgage! They tell me they are also charging me a $10.00 per day for a late fee. They say there's nothing we can do about this but to pay it.

Our daughter was special needs and required 24 hour a day care so we had an income reduction. I call the mortgage company about the so called “late payments”, who says we can get the "home saver advance "to catch up all late fees/missed pmts. All of our income and debt information was taken over the phone and we were told that we were approved and that we would get the paper work soon.

Once we received this paperwork, We got all of the paper work saying we were approved & this was signed and then sent back to them. We were told to keep mailing our pmts as normal. We did this and they kept “holding payments”. Once we contacted them we were told that they didn't get the payment", "oh we haven't got it" even though it was mailed 3 weeks before.

We then find out per loss and litigation (per Linda) that the checks were there and just hadn't been applied? She said they were there in "loss and litigation" She said she did this for us and the home saver should kick in soon and we will show current and this would be deleted off my credit. I notice in October its still showing late on my credit report? Every check that I mailed them, they would wait three weeks or more to apply to my account or would say they couldn’t accept from me.

After many calls trying to find out where the checks that we were mailing them has went to, then they are saying we were now" having the home saver advance pulled” that the program” was retired. I do not understand how they can deny you for a program that you have already been told you were approved for and have all of the paperwork for.

So now we have to” catch up" on 4 pmts (which is what was supposed to be rolled into the home save advance) PLUS late fees for 4 months that we were charged!?!? AT no fault of our own. So now, because of PHH my credit took 4 hits showing late, plus we have 4 pmts to make, as well as late fees for 4 months time! We have spoke with people named Linda and Alex in loss and litigation who said we were "fine". All that I want is I want this off my credit as this isn’t OUR FAULT we got APPROVED PAPERWORK, then was told "oh it was retired”, so we pulled it from your acct? How can we get approved in July, but then pulled in October?

After many calls, we were them told per Joan that we apparently were "sent the wrong paper work by THEM and this is why it got kicked out of the system”? WE were NEVER notified of this! In calling for months, no one ever mentioned this. Joan said a Mr. Joe Hill got our paperwork by mistake and we got his? Which is not our fault? It had MY NAME on the paperwork that I signed and returned. Not a Mr. Joe Hill.

My husband is military and has been for 10 years now. We will be moving soon and thanks to PHH it now looks like we were about to "lose' our home, which isn't true! NOW, we are messed on getting a new home with my name on it as well as any other loans! This is showing on my credit as late! No one will let us redo our mortgage since the loan was in my maiden name my name MUST be on the new loan per mortgage loan rules. But, because of PHH mortgage, no one can approve me since I am, “past due on a current mortgage”.

We spoke with several people, one names Linda in loss and litigation, one names Alex, one name Porche Stevens, one names Desiree, one named Tanarra and the last one was named Joan.

I requested a payoff statement from PHH and they said they can not give that information over they phone, only per mail. I get this and the statement says that we owe more now in 2010, then we even financed in 2007. After paying at least $27, 000 to our home over the past few years.

We have contacted the BBB, as well as the FTC. I also have done hours of research on PHH mortgage scams and just learned they are doing the exact same thing to me, as they are to thousands of other people. This is something that you should be aware of. Hardworking people such as me and my husband, who is serving our country, are getting ripped off by PHH mortgage. It is not fair and I do plan on going as high as I possibly can with this so other innocent people such as us will not be ripped off in this major mortgage scam that PHH is trying to pull.

Resources:

This is an issue that I feel needs to be resolved by the responsible parties, and that is PHH mortgage and the fraudulent people in the company.
    feel free to contact me ont his issue, I think we have something here...

[email protected]

Resolved improper insurance and escrow

They have never been able to get the Insurance issues correct, I have Property and Wind Insurance and they continue to say I dont after repeated attempts to send them the policies as well the impounded for Taxes Eight times the necessary amout.
They are impossible to deal with in every regard.

• Wi
    Wildhorses Jan 25, 2011

I have to agree with all those unhappy people out there who have had issues with PHH mortgage! I too have had my share of issues with them; escrow to low (even though I was paying what they told me), jumping my payment $200.00 with no reasoning and not dealing with a short sale I am trying to accomplish with a buyer willing to pay cash. Another problem was them paying my property taxes which is part of my monthly payment.
    I was laid off in September 2010 and at the time I was already two months behind on payments, now I am six months behind and have been served papers from the courts and their attorneys for foreclosure.
    Each time I call PHH I get the run around, am told that a supervisor is dealing with it and they will call me; well haven't got a call yet. In my book they are one of the dumbest mortgage companies out there if they want to get stuck with a another house in these economic times. In March of this year it will be one year since I started the process for the short sale and have heard nothing from PHH.
    To all those people out there that have or are getting assigned PHH do not sign on the dotted line!!!

• Ba
    baseb212 Apr 04, 2011

this company is a nightmare - they lie cheat and steal. PHH didnt pay my property taxes for months and then had the audacity to steal the penalities and interest that ny charged from my escrow. Don't do business with them!!!

angmellis Jun 30, 2011

I had to file Ch.13 in 2006. Had a 5 yr. plan, it ended Feb. 6, 11.Talk to the Lawyer since Jan. Stated ever thing was fine, until I mentioned the trustee owed me 3, 000.00 He (lawyer) talked to Her(trustee) back and forth for months, with me in the loop and out. She stated I owed her the 3, oo0. and I didn't met the base plan.The hearing was on May 18, 11. The lawyer stated that if the $ was owed it will get to me blah, blah. I had a wage attachment, thank god! To prove all payments were made. Every yr. phh sends me a print out of where the money goes and to who.Never a none payment not even a late payment!! Thank god, I kept them!I called PHH to get my payment book. I was told my house was up for the next sale date!!Required about this PMI insurance. They said I had to have during the Chapter 13 process. It added an extra 1700. a yr. They told me its added on until I drop down to an 84 per. I am at 94 per.What ever that means.They stated they couldn't give me a payment book. Here it is June 29, 11. Cant send them $ so I will get charged a late fee or they'll send it back to me so they can foreclose . Found out over the phone the trustee just made Oct.'s payment?? What??Doesn't make any sense. Phh stated I owed 5, 00.00 not including the lawyer fee. Seems to me there is racketeering going on here. I will be contacting the Attry. General in the morning! Phh also stated a lot of people owe $ when they come out of Chapter 13, & they don't know it? Chapter 13 is a repayment bankruptcy you pay your reg. mo. payment and extra on what you owe. The judge figured it out on his calculator and set the amount. Ever thing was paid. How do I owe $$ ? On the last page of the latest print out. PMI insurance had all these payment of 400., 284, etc. monthly. They were getting 59.00 month for the past 5 yrs. Cant wait to get this company out in the open . By the way didn't know Phh was brothers w/ Coldwell until they tried foreclosing on me the 1st. time. Why does Coldwell tell you they put you in the system to find the best mortage co. for you and bam its Phh. RACKETEERING!!! IF THIS HAS HAPPEN TO YOU OR SOME ONE YOU KNOW CONTACT ME [email protected] WE MUST STOP THIS

credit report /bankruptcy lies

Complaint activity report case # [protected] better business bureau of new jersey

Consumer info: wiles, patricia l business info: phh mortgage services
430 n. mountain rd.
newville, pa 17241
[protected]-7868 [protected]

Location involved: (same as above)

Consumer's original complaint :
I was forced to do a ch. 7 bankruptcy in 2008 - and my mortgage was not included in the bankruptcy. I have paid it regularly since the bk, and paid extra fees to get the mortgage back on track (they won't let you make payments until the bk is settled.) when I checked my credit reports, I find that all of them have been told by phh that my morgage was written off with the bk and that I am not making any payments, etc. this is totally false and it is totally ruining any chance I have of getting back on my feet. I have filed complaints with the all 3 credit bureaus and they tell me that I have to get it fixed with phh. I emailed them and was told I had to call [protected]. I tried several times - each time I have to listen to a machine for 10 min. giving options for this and that - then I punch 0 for a csr and I sit forever and nobody ever answers. the one time somebody did answer, I got some idiot from india who couldn't speak let alone understand english. all I want is for them to correct the 3 credit reports to show that the mortgage wasn't written off with ch. 7 and that I am currently paying and up to date on the mortgage. if they can't do that - take the stupid entry off all together and don't report anything. the bbb rates this company high - frankly I don't agree and I will be glad when I can refinance this thing and get away from them. I will never deal with them or era mortgage again - they are trash - a company that hires idiots from another country is not worth dealing with. thank you>
Desiredsettlementid: other (requires explanation)
Product_or_service: home mortgage
Order_number: [protected]

Consumer's desired resolution:
I want all 3 credit bureau reports to reflect the fact that my mortgage was not included in my bankruptcy and that I am current and up to date on my payments.

Bbb processing

05/08/2010 web bbb case received by bbb
05/10/2010 nanc bbb case reviewed by bbb
05/10/2010 otto email send acknowledgement to consumer
05/10/2010 otto email notify business of dispute
05/25/2010 web bbb receive business response : contact name and title: rose viana, research
contact phone: [protected]
contact email: rose. [protected]@mortgagefamily.com
I would like to apologize for the experience borrower has been going through with her loan. I have verified with the bankruptcy department and she has verified that when a borrower files for bankruptcy it affects all obligations. as such, we should be reporting the loan as a bankruptcy. a review is being done by the credit reporting department to verify what is being reflected on the credit report. as soon as we are provided with the information I will advise. thank you
05/26/2010 bbb more info received from the business : information from the credit reporting department has been received and they state we are reporting this loan as current, discharged chapter 7, and we are not reporting the balance or payment history. this is because when a customer files chapter 7 they must reaffirm with us that the wish to continue paying the debt and not include it in the bankruptcy so that we will then report this as reaffirmed debt. if the customer fails to reaffirm the debt prior to the date the bankruptcy is discharged, we have to report the loan as discharded chapter 7 and the credit bureaus see that as a final stauts for the loan and will no longer report the loans balance and payment history. we are reporting this loan accuratley. thank you
05/26/2010 nanc email forward business response to consumer
05/27/2010 web bbb bbb reviews consumer rebuttal to business response : (the consumer indicated he/she did not accept the response from the business.)
doesn't make any sense. bankruptcy was filed/completed 9/2008 - this is now may 2010. any "affect" the bk had on the mortgage was negated by the fact that I paid them extra for various late fees, etc. I have made the payments each month since - no break. they are not reporting those payments as well as the lie that they were part of the bankruptcy. also, the bankruptcy specifically stated (I can send copies of the papers) that the morrgage was not included in the bankruptcy.
05/27/2010 nanc email forward consumer rebuttal to business
06/03/2010 web bbb received business' rebuttal response : I am very sorry for what the borrower has been through dealing with this issue. I wanted to advise that I just received this rebuttal and have forwarded contacted the supervisor in the bankruptcy department and she will advise shortly with information to report. I am sorry for the delay I am trying to get assistance for the borrowers quickly. thank you
06/04/2010 nanc email send rebuttal response to consumer - new offer
06/04/2010 nanc bbb no consumer response - assumed resolved w/o letter
06/04/2010 otto bbb case closed - assumed resolved
06/05/2010 bbb more info received from the consumer : the information they are giving is wrong. I did sign their stupid eaffirmation papers and I paid extra fees to get it all back on track. I guess this means I have to take this to the attorney general - obviously you are getting paid by them to give them a good report - from the complaints I am seeing on the net for this co, I am not the only one wiht problems with them. I do not want this complaint closed - I want it resolved, not just buried under the rug.

ChicagoBlues Nov 25, 2016

Consumers need to be aware of mortgage fraud committed by mortgage companies especially mortgage brokers pretending to be direct lenders. I was just approached by a mortgage broker, Barclay Butler Financial that is a mortgage broker shop and Barclay Butler is representing themselves as lenders when in fact they have no lending capabilities whatsoever. Check out ther websites and they will tell you that Barclay Butler Financial is a Fannie Mae Direct Lender and are also Freddie Mac direct lenders but Barclay Butler Financial only are mortgage brokers who get commissions from wholesale lenders. Barclay Butler fired my late father a couple of years ago because he was about to reveal the illegal activities Barclay Butler was telling his loan officers. The 2.75% yield spread premium Barclay Butler Financial charges is the actual commissions Barclay Butler gets from the wholesale lenders like Carrington Mortgage, Quicken Loans, Pacific Union Financial but he instructs his mortgage brokers that the 2.75% yield spread premium is the amount he gets from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac for reselling the loan to them. Barclay Butler Financial and Barclay Butler is a major scam and I suggest you stay away from them.

John Neal
    Vice President of Lending
    Guaranteed Rate

ChicagoBlues Dec 04, 2016

Barclay butler financial is the worst incompetent group of bad people. Don't know how anyone with barclay butler of east dundee illinois can have nmls licenses. Barclay butler is the most incompetent loan officer in the chicagoland area. A swinger with his wife judy in crystal lake illinois and he spends most of hist time on his swinger couple activities and his side business in being a cleaning distributor. Stay away from barclay butler and barclay butler financial if you are looking for a mortgage loan. Go to a reputable real company like guaranteed rate in oak brook.

ChicagoBlues Dec 04, 2016

Mortgage borrowers need to be aware of scammers like barclay butler who is a mortgage broker and runs his little mom and pop shop barclay butler financial out of east dundee illinois. Barclay butler is a total scamner who is a known swinger with his poor wife judy butler in crystal lake illinois who impersonates a direct lender. Home loan borrowers, please google barclay butler and barclay butler financial in east dundee illinois. Barclay butler is all over scam report and other scam sites. He screwed not just borrowers but also loan officers.

Resolved lack of service

The representatives of this company have forgotten how to be friendly and considerate and seem to have a severe lack of knowledge regarding their jobs. They sound like robots the way that they speak in monotones, they give vague answers to questions, tell me they will mail forms to me but then only mail me a letter stating the forms are also in the envelope but - NO forms. This has happened 3 times.<br />
<br />
<br />
I am very unimpressed with this company and would NOT recommend that anyone do business with PHH mortgage.

• Ju
    Just me Mar 11, 2009

My mortgage has been non-serviced since PHH acquired it from US Bank. From payments not being applied to my account, inaccurate credit reporting, request for service being ignored, and their chief legal council calling my minor child a b*tch for answering the pone.

I have had nothing but frustration with this organization and advise everyone to avoid using them.

• Th
    Thomas Apr 01, 2009

Awful company! The bad thing it use to be a pretty good mortgage lender until it started servicing all these other companies. They don't want the heck the are doing in terms of refinancing, make numerous errors and are fraudulent. They have gotten too big for their britches and it clearly shows.

• Jm
    jmac Apr 18, 2009

We are having issues as well "this time around". Have been with them for years, however after we locked, we can't get our lending advisor on the phone anymore and they also are slow to respond to emails with partial truths and generalities (saying something with out saying anything really). In addition, we are getting "low balled" by the appraiser who came in from "outside" the area and is NOT familiar with our area at all. We got an appraisal from them for 230K 2 yrs ago and put over 100K of solid returning renovations (according to our realtor who did a full price estimate w/ comps that came in 300K to 330K) This included a 3 car stacked garage with carriage style doors; new driveway; new roof with architectural shingles, foyer with tile, Pellas windows in 900 sq ft addition (huge family room with cathedral ceilings/ ceiling fans/ Master bedroom w/ cathedrals/walk-in closet and bathroom/ new kitchen open to family room with lots of counter space and a bar/ new heat pump/ hard wood floors exposed and a hot tub in the back. Well now they are saying it's worth 250K. I know prices went down but come on. Also, I was told our area went down only about 6% and houses just take longer to move. We are in an area with lots of state jobs (u know the ones that don't go away!)
    If anyone knows a good lendor please advise as I think this crisis has made them even less customer focused and more interested in covering their tales and taking advantage of rate refies given the historically low rate that out there. PMI came up so we are taking out less, but they play games with the rate based on house to loan value and they are slow to tell us the new rate. NOT good service!
    Beware of low appraisal from these guys... I know high appraisal are bad too. Fair market values are important though. Our neighbors house is literally half our size and just went under contract for 205K... it's not even up-to-date inside... crooks I tell you.
    We are considering reporting them just so this kind of thing doesn't continue. We don't actually need all the money. We just wanted to pay off our cars and do more renovations. They suck!

• Sc
    Screwed by PHH Feb 16, 2010

I came to PHH last year with a request for assistance and explained to them my financial difficulty in my loss of income and after months of painstaking review of all the information I provided ( pay stubs, bank statements, expenses, manpower reports from my job etc.etc.) and after all of this they lower my payment all of FIFTY dollars. This was because it was a struggle to pay the original mortgage. So if it was a struggle and a hardship to pay that what do you think an additional $240.00 is going to do to us?

According to the Seminole County Tax Collectors office PHH paid my property taxes in November. I understand that the escrow account was short. At the same time they were completing my Loan modification. My question is when they were adding the arrears to my loan balance why not add the escrow shortage as well in order to maintain the lower payment? Does this not make sense? PHH will still get paid and I am able to pay the lower payment. That was the reason for the loan modification to begin with. What do you think is going to happen in a few months as I start falling behind? I can make the modified amount of $1355.00 a month, but $1595.05 a month?????

• Re
    Renee Barneveld Jul 27, 2010

After taking two pay cuts, then the plant actually closing down my husband lost his job over two years ago. He was able to get into a government funded program that paid for his schooling, but it only under the circumstances that he didn't get another job, that he would recieve unemployment and his schooling paid for. So during this 2 year coarse of time we applied three times for the loan modification program and had been denied (actually never even gotten back to, but when we later would inquire about the progress we were told very vague answers). Recently a surprisingly friendly operator explained to him that he thought we might qualify for the loan modification program-now that has my husband has finished school and gotten a job! We are behind in our bills, even after clearing out our 401k's to avoid foreclosure, so we thought yes, lets try and reapply for the fourth time. Sent in all the onfo again. Heard with in a month that they needed more info, so sent that in also. For two months have heard nothing, but now get another letter, that if we would like to apply for one of their loan modifications, we can send in the following info...Are you for real? What did we just send in two months ago? If you start falling behind (more than one payment), you're screwed. They won't accept a payment until your caught up...so if you get 5 months behind, like we were, you're going to have to have over 5, 000 dollars (don't forget the late fees) to hand over all at once. Don't even try and send in a payment at this point, they'll just send it back. My huband asked them once "How come it takes you guys so long to get back to us about our application for the loan modification program, but if we get behind your right on top of trying to foreclose on us?" We even had a sheriff at our door one time, that's when we were waiting for my husbands 401K to send him his money...but because the letter that PPH had sent us said, "Impending foreclosure", we didn't qualify to get our money out early for a hardship...we had to fight to get his money out and by that time (because then pph WILL MOVE FAST) we were IN FORECLOSURE. Then we also had to pay the lawyer fees they'd apparently already hired for our case! They don't care if you've lost your job or not...I heard they will get reimbursed by the goverment if they foreclose on your house anyways...so it will not be any skin of their backs. We built this house from scratch on family land, we are not giving it up that easily!
    We're so tired of their rude operators and lack of empathy in today's economy, all we wanted was to lower our payment so we weren't always behind and can pay some of our other bills. We have always paid (and then some), why not give us a break? Where is all this money going anyways, who profits form other's misfortunes?

• Sl
    SLReddick Nov 25, 2010

I am having similar issues getting issues resolved regarding a partial payment that was rejected in the amount of $752.35. I called to pay all the back months and the difference for the partial payment, and they would not allow it. Instead, they said they were going to have to return the payment + one small one. I got the small one and not the bigger one. I have been trying to get my money back for over a month.

• Sl
    SLReddick Nov 25, 2010

I reported this same issue to an agent with FHA today who says that there is nothing they can do unless I call an FHA approved counselor to act on our behalf. These people are very scary. I have also received letters with no enclosures as the letter states and reported this on two separate occasions to PHH. I am trying to report them to a regulating entity and it is nearly impossible to get anything done.

johnsonfam6 Nov 26, 2010

I have the same issues. I have sent in all of my information and they confirmed that they have everything they need for the Obama program. They also said that since my documents were just sitting there for months, they would escalate to a manager. The last time I called, the man on the phone confirmed this but said to hold and he would check. But when he came back on the line he said about 2 words and then the line was disconnected. Please someone reading this. Please help us all, the consumers. I have 4 children and plan on making 2 payments to be caught up. But received an attorney letter today that they were starting the foreclosure. I have heard I will now have to find the money for lawyer fees. my payment was $1, 400 and now it's $1750. I feel like I am just set up to fail no matter what I do and have lost my hope that I had left after reading these entries. It's a Thanksgiving that I will never forget.

• Ca
    carolynb Dec 15, 2010

I asked for a HAMP back in March, sent the paperwork, followed up witht PHH Mortgage from March through September, received many emails my paperwork was being reviewed, made phone calls (over 10 hours worth) and never received a denial letter until AFTER the house wa sold. They still continue to state they are reviewing my file and i was told at the time of sale there was nothing I could do, yet I found that there was a redemptin period I was never inormed of. I've contacted Fannie Mae and am still trying to work something out with them. There were many programs I qualified for, yet I was told by PHH to wait unti my HAMP was done.. They never followed up with me, they would leave me on hold and when I would finally get someone they would either hang up on me or put me back into queue. Their emails constantly said, I would hear from the within 24-48 hours. That time never came. They stated it would take up to 90 days; yet they advised ther was a delay and never responded even after my 187 plus emails. I really believe I have a case - even still they are delaying a respnse as to why they never processed my paperwork until AFTER my home was sold. See 1 example below: Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with Nextel Direct Connect

-----Original Message----- From: "Customer Service (MBS)" Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:11:59 To: Cc: Subject: RE: Fwd: LSR #200904004: Boykin, Carolyn R. (PHH MortgageCorporation#8104) Dear Mr. Hopkins, Thank you for using our email service, we hope you find the following information helpful. I do apologize but the review process for the packets is taking longer than expected. I can assure you that the file is being processed however we have no further updates at this time. You may contact our Loss Mitigations department at 1-800-750-2518 to obtain updates on the process. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know. Sincerely, Colleen Abrams Customer Service Email Staff Mortgage Service Center .

This is what happened with me for over 6 months. Now, I hear today, that because they helped me before, I didn't qualify for HAMP; however, NO ONE TOLD ME THIS! I had other options that I never took advantage of because they said I would har from them. Their customer service is horrible. They are lazy, no consideration for the customer and will tell you anything to get your issue off of their desk. Something has got to be done about these people. I lost my house because of them and they could care less.

They provided wrong information, if they provide anything at all, I didn't get any assistance until after I filed a complain with the BBB and the Ohio Attorney General, only then did someone contact me. Unfortunately for me, if was 1 month after they foreclosed on my house. They should be sued and put out f business.

• Ta
    Tara Wright Oct 25, 2011

Please sign my petition agains PHH illegal practices!

Resolved fraudulent company

For everyone looking to refinance their home, don't use phh mortgage services. this company, who was originally affiliated with usaa federal services bank, 'use' to be a great customer-oriented company, first class, who we have had four previous home loans through. the last couple of years they have gotten into the business of 'servicing' a lot of these small pop-up banks and loan companies, including some that have awful reputations and many that are responsible for our current home loan crisis, and now have become awful just like them. I guess that is because they are them now.

This is our situation. we currently have our home financed through them and are looking to refinance. we have an excellent credit rating and payment history - never a problem - so should be easy and straight forward to refinance. they always say go to your home mortgage company first because the process should be streamlined, easy, and cheaper.

Called them up and got an ok rate, competitive, but nothing better. when the paperwork arrived, it looked like a school kid had spent the time to complete it. errors everywhere and had a 1% discount fee/points in there. this should have been a loan origination fee. was told all this would be corrected when the final paperwork came.

The main problem other than this incompetency with the paperwork is they ordered one of those drive-by internet appraisals of the home, which came in at the same price that we paid for the home 2.5 years ago. if it had been done correctly that would be one thing, but again it was riddled with numerous errors. the appraiser had no clue what she was doing and had maps wrong, comparing our homes to others far distances away and that were 25 years older, things like that. when we approached phh with all these errors and giving them ample evidence and data to show that corrections needed to be made, they pretty much refused to do anything. just gave us the option that we could pay for a full appraisal if we wanted to. why would we do this for someone who clearly has no clue what they are doing? we inadvertently received e-mail between phh and the appraiser that showed they do not have an impartial relationship, so valuing homes lower than the 80/20 home to loan value ratio is their way to get a nice kick-back in pmi insurance money. when searching on phh, I found other complaints on this and charging the clients flood insurance when they don't need it.

Needless, to say, we said no thank you to doing business with a rude and shady company such as this. we forwarded all this information to the attorney general in our state for review and follow-up as they intend to charge us $500 for a processing fee for a loan. pay a processing fee for a loan riddled with errors? charge us for an appraisal riddled with errors?

Bottom line - don't waste your time or money with this company.

• Di
    diaphanouslady Aug 27, 2009

Amen to the comments above. I used PHH as they came along with the Cartus/Coldwell Banker package with my government move to DC. Three years ago they convinced me to use a 5 year ARM as my plan was to sell in 4-5 years, retire and move back to the mid-west. I put a large chunk of money down on my townhouse (close to 200K). Since I am leery of where the interest rates are going to be in two years (possible double digit inflation???) I decided to play it safe and go from my ARM to a fixed rate loan. I have excellent credit (780+), have never missed - nor been late on a payment, and in fact have paid extra on the loan. I just looked at my 2008 tax statement and paid over $30, 000 interest to PHH last year alone.

Called them earlier this spring to see if I could convert my ARM, currently at 5.65% to a fixed rate (only going down to 5.4%) and was told, "no", I would have to reapply for a new loan. OK, my arm is currently fixed for another two years, but goes to a float for 5 years and then in the 10th year I can convert to a fixed rate. So why not be able to convert now and avoid a potential disaster...NO - you have to apply for a new loan. OK, I agreed.

They sent over an appraiser who walked in to my house for about 5 minutes and flatly stated that she has been reducing an automatic 25% because of all the foreclosures - I knew I was in trouble at the git-go. I had asked to select an appraiser and PHH said that I would have to use the one they selected. About a week before I was to close, they sent me notice that I would have to come up with an additional $50, 000 to make up the difference of the appraiser's value and what I wanted for the loan. Remember - I had already put in more than 20% at the onset of purchase. I called them back and said that I did not have an extra $50, 000 laying around to put down and furthermore, the appraiser had used a short-sale, and comps that were not even comparable in size, type of structure or quality. Basically, she was just too lazy to dig deep - said nothing had sold in my neighborhood so had to use what she could find. I asked PHH what my options were and they said I should come up with comps and send to them. I said I wanted the appraisal reviewed and they refused. I asked what other alternatives they had - and they said none. So, with no time left to figure out an option, I decided there was no alternative. I am not top-heavy and still owe a lot less than the loan - I am just trying to be proactive and not let my home go into foreclosure because of a rise in interest rates that would result in the inability to pay my mortgage----I know - that is too responsible, right???

In the meantime I did some scouting around locally and found a lender, who ordered an appraisal and guess what, it came back 50K higher than then one from the PHH appraiser...(about two weeks difference between the two appraisals) - and guess what, my neighbor's townhome - same floor plan and amenities as mine, was put on the market and SOLD in four days for 80K more than the PHH appraiser's value - Their sale price is exactly what the City of Alexandria has listed for my value for tax purposes (recent). The bottom line is I know that they wanted to capture the PMI and they gave me no alternative. I will be closing on the new loan later this week - fixed rate - and with out PMI. I vow never to give PHH another cent...and I am going to file a complaint on the $500 charge, because I did not close on the loan - their disclaimer is "for ANY reason" this charge will be assessed.

Oh - did mention that when I first took out the loan three years ago they failed to pay my homeowner's insurance and taxes taken out at closing - but, that is a whole 'nother story...

PHH - good by and good riddance to a den of thieves!

• Bl
    blueskyjunction Nov 30, 2009

Who did you end up using instead of PHH?

• Ms
    Ms. Upset1 Jan 14, 2010

I use PHH and they have jacked my payments up when my property taxes have gone down and they say my escrow is short. How can my escrow be short if they are taking out what they need to montly for escrow, PLUS my property taxes went down almost $200? They can't answer my questions and everytime they say they are connecting me to the taxes center of their company I ALWAYS get disconnected, every single time. They are shady and something need to be done and I refuse to pay any more mortgage when I know it's not right.

• Sg
    SGD Sep 12, 2010

Thank you for letting the public know about PHH Mortgage Services. I have been paying my mortgage payment regularly inspite of the economic situation and requested them to work with me in seeing how we may refinance to (a) move my loan from interest only and (b) to lower interest rates.
    They said they cannot help because our mortgage was not connected with Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae. Would someone please let me know the alternatives so companies like PHH Mortgage Services does not hold honest and hard working people as hostage.

• Br
    brian66 Oct 20, 2010

Chris,
    My story is same as yours, I wonder why PHH is allowed to string people along until they have time to forclose and get all the paperwork on their side completed. It seems odd that to you have to go to PHH to get things right and they do not seem to be interested in working things out. I thought there was some sort of government agency that watches for fraudulent companies like this, is this the reasons forclosures are so high in the country? I guess when you pay the right people off you can do what you want.

• Kr
    Krucker Jan 04, 2011

I have never been late on my payments to PHH Mortgage. I took out my loan in December 2004. I normally pay my mortgage on the mortgage questions site. I went to make my November payment and received a message that my payment couldn't be accepted at this time. I called them and they told me that no payments can be accepted on this account at all and I needed to call their attorney. They gave me the attorney's name and number, she told me she would check into it. She didn't know why we were unable to make a payment. Now almost 30 days late we contact our attorney about this. When they contact PHH attorney they exchange emails for weeks and get no where. Finally towards the middle of December 2010 my attorney tells us to get a certified check from our bank for November and December payments and bring it to them and they will forward to their attorney. We did that and it still hasn't been processed. My attorney contacts theirs again and the check is sitting on the attorney's desk and she has started the paperwork before filing for foreclosure. Last week we got another certified check for January 2011 payment. Please note that last week is 1 week early which is how we pay. Still no payments have been processed. We have never been late and never had a late fee. I have never had problems with this company. It is like they just want to take our house away for no reason. If something isn't done soon we are filing suit against PHH. Just like most of you. Our payments have gone up in the past also. In January 2010 we received our statement and had to pay an extra 40.00 a month for 4 months to make up for escrow shortage. Those 4 months have never ended. I will never do business with this company again. I had good credit until this. I am afraid to pull my credit and see what they have done to me. I am just thankful I took it to my attorney so they can't say they didn't say or do whatever. It is in my attorney's hands now.

• Bu
    busdriver634 Jan 12, 2011

PHH Is the biggest joke for a mortgage company that I have ever seen! Everyone has the same story so you would think someone would do something about the company. They put you on hold...for hours! When you finally get a live person on the phone you can not understand them. When you can understand them, they give you the run around. It's sad what the companies in this country get away with. It's a shame that hard working people get no help at all, but if you don't work or are from another country, you get what ever you need. WTF is that all about? Any one who is involved in any lawsuit against PHH, let me know. We will gladly join forces!

• Up
    upsetmominOH Feb 04, 2011

I am in a similar situation with PHH mortgage. I completed the homeowner's assistance package in October. After much fighting on my end and countless hours on the phone, I was told that in December I had been assigned to a negotiator, which is the end process of the loan modification program. I was told that if I receive notice of sheriff's sale, to contact tham and they would postpone-since they moved forward full force with the foreclosure which takes 90 days and they admitted their program takes 6 months in total at least. I received notice nad called them, they submitted request for postponement. I called them every day after that to check status. They continued to string me along, my property was sold back to them at sheriff's sale, and they claimed no one ever responded to the request for postponement. Their attorney informed me she never received the request. Now, after more than 20 hours spent on the phone with them in the last week, several of the supervisors have admitted there was a mistake made on the account, but there is nothing they can do about it now that they have sold my property. I have obtained an attorney and luckily kept al documentation, and I would suggest everyone else does the same. WHEN the class action lawsuit comes against them I want to be in on it, I have more thna enough proof that they violated FHA laws stating that as long as I am making a reasonable effort to work with them that they must make a reasonable effort to keep me in my home-obviously they have not even made an attempt. So, now me, my husband and our four children are looking for a home to rent. Our hearts are broken after we were so happy to achieve our goal of owning a home. I realize that the fault was mine when I lost my job and got 2 months behind on my mortgage, but I have been begging them to let me pay them since then and the way we have been treated and pushed out of our home is not right.

MIKE LAMB Mar 08, 2011

phh RAISED MY MORTGAGE PAYMENT OVER 90 DOLLARS -I CALLED THEM AND THEY SAID THAT MY HOMEOWNERS AND PROPERTY TAXES WENT UP - AND I HAD LOWERED MY HOMEOWNERS ABOUT A MONTH BEFORE FROM 500.00 TO 1000.00 DEDUCTABLE - AND I WENT TO THE TOWNSHIP HALL IN WHITE LAKE MI. AND THEY SAID THAT THE TAXES HAD GONE DOWN - SO I HAD TO PAY FOR THE FORMS THAT PROVED MY TAXES HAD GONE DOWN - I SENT TWO COPPIES TO P.H.H. - ONE TO THE TAX DEPT. AND ONE TO ANOUTHER DEPT. - P.H.H. CONTINUED TO LIE ABOUT MY TAXES HOMEOWNERS GOING UP FOR MONTHS AND WOULD NOT ADJEST THE PAYMENT - IF YOUR TAXES GO DOWN AND YOUR HOMEOWNERS GO DOWN - THAN YOUR MORTGAGE PAYMENT SHOULD GO DOWN - WELL I LOST MY HOUSE ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO I MET A LOYER FOR PHH IN COURT AND I AGREED TO GET OUT OF MY HOUSE ON DEC. 20 2010 AND THEY SAID THEY ARE NOT CHARGING ME FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE HOUSE AT THIS TIME - SO I LOST MY HOUSE 11 DAYS BEFORE NEW YEAR - ABOUT A MONTH AGO I RECIVED FROM PHH A TAX FORM WITH THE REMAINING BALENCE OF MY HOUSE ON IT - IT ALSO SAID THE HOUSE WAS FOUND ABBANDON - ( NOT TRUE I WENT TO COURT AND WAS GIVIN A DATE & TIME TO GET OUT - AND THEY HAVE ON THE TAX FORM THE FAIR MARKET VALUE IS OVER 99000.00 ( MY HOUSE IS BEING SOLD FOR 21000.00 - I AM MISSING THE BOTTOM HALF OF THE TAX FORM AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET PHH TO FAX OR SEND ME THE FORM OVER - (UNSUCCESSFULLY) ( IVE BEEN PUT ON HOLD FOR 2-3 HOURS AT A TIME AND SWITCHED TO OTHER DEPTS AND DISCONNECTED

• Aj
    AJKUPP Mar 21, 2011

OMG! I am in the same situation! Class action lawsuit? I AM IN!! I have gotten nothing but runarounds, inconsistent answers, and hang ups. I have gotten no paperwork on any late payments, etc until they wanted to start foreclosure. On Februar 28th I called. I was told to call their attorney in OKC. I did and they couldn't understand why PHH wasn't working with me. They agreed to send me all the final numbers to bring my acccount up to date. Including lawyer fees that were over $1200. FINE! I got the numbers on March 9th, called on March 14th (3 business days later) to find out where to send the money. They told me the numbers had expired. WTF!!! It was the middle of the month...what could have changed. I had a letter dated Feb 23rd, that says I have 30 days before they do anything! She says she has to refigure the numbers. FINE! So the lawyer fees might increase some, right? WRONG!!! Also, this should only take a day or two because they just did them! I called on the 16th, 17th, and 18th. I never could get a call back. They filed foreclosure papers on the 15th. I was served on the 19th! I had the money on the 14th and they refused it!!! WTF!!! It all is shady and every employee at PHH mortgage and Shapiro & Cejda law office in OKC! A single mom of 1 child will be out on the street. Who can afford a lawyer when you thought they were working with you and the whole time they were stabbing you in the back! I hope they all fry in hell and lose their own house someday! IT IS WRONG and someting needs to be done!!!

• El
    eloria Apr 01, 2011

Runarounds in collections, incorrect information given every time I call in, refusal to pull call records to proove that I'm being told incorrect information and properly train their reps. USAA should be ashamed for using this service as their mortgage provider. I expected better from USAA!

• Aj
    AJKUPP Apr 05, 2011

Here is what's even better...I get an email from Shapiro & Cejda law office in OKC at 815 AM and told the final numbers end at end of business! I got no phone call from anyone! What if I hadn't gone to work, what if our email server was down! Again, they were dangling a carrot, but now that I know what I was dealing with I am now able to play their "game." I overnighted the money that I already had 10 days before plus another several hundred dollars of nonsense charges. I overnighted it 3/24/11 and requested notice when everything was reinstated. The notice I get by email states that it will take 15 days for them to review and respond. WHAT!
    I have April's payment due on the 1st and this is their game! They let you "think" they have accepted payment, then you get your check returned about 6-8 weeks later. So now if that happens, I will end up with more unnecessary charges, they will foreclose, and keep my cashier's check I just overnighted them. It will purposely get crossed in the mail!
    I overnighted my April payment on 3/31/11 and attached a nice note with it :)
    To Whom It May Concern:
    I am not putting anything to chance for PHH Mortgage to cross paperwork and inquire additional fees or for PHH Mortgage to foreclose on the house at XX.
    As of March 28, 2011, I was notified by Shapiro & Cejda that it takes 15 days to apply funds.
    This letter is to verify April 2011 payment is applied appropriately, in addition to, the reinstatement funds that were overnighted on 3/24/2011 and received by Shapiro & Cejda by noon on March 25th 2011 totaling X amount.
    In the event of, additional deceptive business procedures, unjust fees or charges from either PHH Mortgage or Shapiro & Cejda, I will be forced to obtain a lawyer. A complaint has also been made to HUD regarding your treacherous practices.
    I am demanding notification immediately via email when the status of this loan is reinstated. Signed and dated...
    Interesting...I get an overnight package from PHH on 4/1/11 with loan modification paperwork. They offer this now that my loan is caught up when I had been requesting this for 2 years and they never could consider it. By law, loan modifications are supposed to be offered to any person who has fell behind on their payments. I'm getting a lawyer consultation set up to see if I can recoup any of the wrongful charges. If not, it still needs to be "on the books" about their bad business practices. The mortgage companies need to be held responsible for our housing crisis. Instead of helping, they are taking full advantage!

Chaos2Night Apr 07, 2011

Just read a news piece that PPH lost a $20 Million lawsuit for the sort of thing described here. http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2011/03/22/1508191/sergeant-awarded-20-million.html#storylink=misearch If that link does not work google David Brash v. PHH Mortgage Corp.

• Bu
    BunchofCrooks Apr 13, 2011

That's why you need an attorney from the jump! Even to handle your loan mod. I filed bankruptcy to stop them from foreclosing, then applied for a loan mod, then had the judge sign a loss mitigation order giving them permission to modify or appear in his chambers where he would modify it for them and trust me they don't want that. And keep every single correspondence you have with them.

• Mo
    Mortgage specialist ms Apr 15, 2011

The person who wrote this article is not very smart at all. Did you every stop to thing that maybe most of the houses out there have depreciated in value and that is why your appraisal came in low? Well I see appraisals coming in low on a daily basis so I think you should do your homework. That flood insurance charge that you are speaking of is $19.95 and its to make sure that you are not in a flood zone and since you have backed out of the process anyways you didn't have to pay for that charge. The mortgage that you were qualifying for was most likely a Fannie Mae invested mortgage therefore PHH would have to abide by the rules that they set forth. Oh yeah and do you know how crazy the mortgage industry regulations have gotten. I would like to see you try and get a mortgage with another lender and maybe just maybe you might understand that this problem is industry wide and its do to a terrible economy and a government that has no idea what they are doing. You deserve to pay this $500 charge because PHH Mortgage accrued far more charges by your deal going south. You got the attorney general involved, come on, your ridiculous. Pay the fee and own up to the reality of the situation.

RichardPO May 19, 2011

We don'n recoment PHH mortgage, it's a untrust company. is one of those loan companies that are believed to disorder and confusion in statements to pressure and scare of a possible loss of the house and in this way will get their victims, usually old men, end up paying

RichardPO May 19, 2011

I have to confess something about this company so that if someone needs help: I witnessed the pitfalls of this company at the time to clarify situations. Worst of all, it has the law on their side as they are created. If you need some evidence against this company can count on me. Name: Miguel Figueroa, Phone 3053055759

RichardPO May 19, 2011

My loan is 7101117773, the address is 2005 SW 3 ST Miami Fla.
    It is true that if you engage in any collection, the safest thing is to end up paying even knowing that they are stealing you.
    In my case costs more than a lawyer and fix things. The prisons are full of unhappy compared to these criminals in suits and ties

• Fl
    Floretta Jun 09, 2011

I agree strongly that PHH Mortgage is doing preditory and deception lending. They are misleading everyone who has gotten as loan with them. I have read so many peoples complaint. And I as well fall in the same situation as everyone else. They mislead us. And gave us the run around on the phone. Different times promise us phone calls back concerning our payments. We have just been thru so much with this mortgage company. I sure hope something big is done about PHH Mortgage. Because they are really destroying peoples lifes. And leaving many families homeless.

mikeny Mar 23, 2012

I can't believe I didn't do my homework before dealing with them. It's hard for me to believe that everyone in this company that I dealt with over the past 2 months is as incompetent as they presented. From the salesman, who they openly acknowledge is dishonest about how much you can save to the supervisors, who proved to be even more incompetent (?) or dishonest. Yes... When I asked why I'm not saving as much as initially presented with "conservative" figures... They respond, "Well, he's a salesman." Is this BAIT AND SWITCH? To top it off, my mortgage payments went up over $200 when I showed up at closing. The total loan amount was $7, 000 higher at closing than it was when I signed the final commitment! The best was that they had no explanation for it! They blamed it on the incompetence (?) of the people that worked the application prior.

• Re
    Renrgade May 20, 2012

I am left PHH Mortgage because of the many reasons stated from the past clients. They charge a non-refundable upfront fee to take a loan application and if the deal ( either a purchase or refi ) goes south for whatever reason ( such as an inspection of a home to be purchased revels defects or appraisal comes in low ) they will only credit you on the next transaction. BAD BUSINESS. They are the 5th largest Mortgage Company in America and the only one that I know of that has this policy. The client has no rights, no recourse and no respect. If any Lender wants an upfront fee for anything other than the appraisal ( such as processing/ underwriting/ application fees), find another Lender. I would think this policy violates DTPA rules because they will take application on almost anyone, just to fill their pipeline and collect the fees. The applicants should be screened and credit/income approved before an appraisal is ordered.

• Ke
    Kevin Brownn Dec 05, 2012

My FB page... https://www.facebook.com/ShameOnPhhMortgageRbsCitizensBank?ref=hl

My Story
    PHH Mortgage/RBS Citizens Bank are one in the same… We were in the process of modification through PHH Mortgage since late 2011 and around February 2012 we received a letter introducing us to our ‘case manager’ who would keep us posted on the progress of the modification.

In April, we received a letter from the modification department asking us to mail more documents, which I had sent twice already. By May, I called the case manager and she did not seem to know what was going on (delaying modification) but after consulting with her superiors, she asked to me to email her the same documents once more and I did. Despite the assurance (“send this and we can go through modification”), we kept receiving (by mail & email) request for more documents from different people in the modification department!

Early August, I was assigned (temporarily) a case manager because mine went on vacation and she asked me to scan “modification documents” (which by now I had mailed, faxed and scanned several times). I obliged and she informed me (via email) that their staging department is working on our modification. Suddenly, two weeks later, I received a letter from PHH mortgage lawyers informing me that our home will go on sale the next month!

I called the case manager to find out what was going on as the last time we spoke, she had told me that my home was in the process of modification. I left messages but she never returned my calls. This seems to be a recurring issue with PHH. So, I emailed her and scanned the “sale” letter from their lawyers. She finally emailed me back but with “email me (listed) documents so we may postpone the sale.” I had been sending and resending documents to PHH on a regular basis with a promise of modification (somehow my home still went up for sale) and now they were doing it again, asking for more documents. She also informed me that my case manager was back and that I should communicate with her, but despite numerous calls, I was unable to reach her and I never heard back.

Despite PHH’s promises and assurance of modification, they never did anything except ask me to send and resend documents, while letting me believe I was still under consideration for modification (even though the other side of them is foreclosing!). The DAY BEFORE the indicated sale date, my case manager finally called and informed that my modification was denied and she doesn’t know why.

PHH NEVER MAILED ME A Modification Denial Letter, AS IS REQUIRED BY LAW and, they informed me of the denial the day before the sale!

A real estate agent showed up a week later and told me to vacate my home without showing me any documentation of sort. I called PHH to ask them about it but they told me that my home did not sell and transferred me to REO department where I left a message. I continued to call them but they kept telling me my house did not sell and proceeded to transfer me to REO department who never returned my calls.

Three weeks later, we received a 3 days notice from PHH lawyers (different lawyers this time). I sought the help of friends in realty (and eventually lawyers) that reviewed my documents and determined it was a wrongful foreclosure. Along with professionals in the business, I called PHH and we spoke with several people, including the vice president’s office – the supervisor we were eventually assigned reviewed the facts (after a long discussion!) and ADMITTED that our home was WRONGFULLY FORECLOSED, assuring us that the three days notice will be recalled and our home put back into modification.

Another supervisor from PHH called a few days later regurgitating the same information as the first (the home is being returned to modification) and that we should continue to wait for the formal letter. However, two days later, the same supervisor called and said that the legal department instructed them not to proceed with the reversal from WRONGFUL FORECLOSER back to modification – it is not in THEIR best interest!

PHH AND RBS CITIZENS BANK are admittedly wrong and should take responsibility – they should follow their credo “honest and ethical everyday”

I have learned that when it comes to PHH…

1. THERE IS A MAJOR LACK OF COMMUNICATION BETWEEN DEPARTMENTS.
    2. EMPLOYEES ARE NOT WELL INFORMED.
    3. THERE IS SOMETHING CLEARLY WRONG WITH THEIR POSTAL SERVICE/EMAIL/PHONES BECAUSE THEY NEVER RECEIVE DOCUMENTS AND THAT IS WHY THEY SEEM TO ASK FOR THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER!
    4. AND PHONE CALLS ARE RARELY RETURNED.

angela new Jan 27, 2013

PHH mortgage has really messed us up! Not only our credit, but our money too.

Our original loan amount was 52000 opened in 2005.

• Ka
    KanaJune Mar 14, 2016

OMG - I had no choice! Lender Live sold my mortgage to these jokers and I have had myriad problems ever since. How can such a crooked entity be allowed to do business? Just trying to set up my auto debit with them has been a nightmare...and their web site is completely useless. I have called them 6 times and after wait times up to 60 minutes I get completely useless persons that cannot help me - barely can understand their accents and when I can finally get my problem understood, they say they cannot help me, to call back in a week! I am wondering if they are actually a legitimate business? Is this a typical New Jersey business model?

• Ml
    mlere Jul 19, 2019

Does anyone out there have a reverse mortgage with these crooks? I'm an 80 yr old widow who did not do my
    homework before I signed with American Fidelity. I was surprised to be getting statements from Ocwen (PHH).
    My house was assessed at $30, 000 under what I am paying taxes on. I have a big mess, and am going to have to
    sell before I lose my home.

• Ka
    KanaJune Jul 19, 2019

They bought my mortgage from my credit union and I have had no real problems with them, but I can attest to their awful customer service. It does take hours on the phone to get thru to a real person, and then that person may be most unhelpful. Unfortunately, that seems to be the current business model for companies across the US. Shameful!

Resolved flood insurance

Phh said I needed flood insurance on my home I provided them with a letter from, hamilton twp, njdep, and region 2 dha/fema letters stainf I am not located in a flood zone, they check with what they call third party engineers who states other wise when I asked if I provide them with a loma from fema would that satisfy them I was told when I get it they will see, when asked about reimbursement they said its not upo to them. I dont see how all the documents and notices that I provided them with was not substantial. Ypu would think in this day and time they would rather you pay your mortgage then some usless exspensive insurance that I dont need.

• Th
    Thomas Apr 01, 2009

We had a similar thing happen to us when we were refinancing with PHH. Instead of asking for "flood insurance" they are requesting us pay "PMI Insurance" because they hired someone to do an appraisal which "low balled it." We also showed a lot of documentation to show that the appraisal report was full of errors and incorrect information and they insisted with staying with it. My gut feeling tells me PHH gets kick backs from flood insurance and PMI.

• Jm
    jmac Apr 18, 2009

We just got an appraisal 60 to 70 K less than an experienced local realtor... I smell something fishy as well. What state do you live in Thomas. We are in PA.

• Ra
    Raymond098 Sep 15, 2009

You people that know nothing in the mortgage or insurance industry crack me up. First of all, PMI is private mortgage insurance which has nothing to do with any lender. Lenders do not receive kickbacks or benefits from any insurance company. That is why we do not care who you get it from. When the LTV is above 80.0% PMI is mandatory.

As far as appraisals coming in low...its the economy right now. Because of all the flipping that went on and crashed this economy to hell, they are more conservative and choose appraisers who actually do their job well.

FEMA provides maps to lenders. IF you are zoned in a flood area it is very difficult to get reverted.

• Mj
    MJT1977 Dec 15, 2019

12-9-2019
    Client number 0VS
    I am in active bankruptcy. My account is current and there are no late payments. I was told I am not able to view my account online or make online payments, because of my active bankruptcy. They said because they cant legally collect from me they have blocked my account access.