NorthStar Alarm Services, LLC/Home Alarm Systemsfalsification of services

NorthStar Alarm Systems charged for services not rendered. The Alarm System cannot work without a telephone line. I called to explain that the phone system had been disconnected because the property was vacant. They continued to bill because they said they received no notice of cancellation. I sent NorthStar an official notice of cancellation via regular mail and certified mail to cancel as of June 9, 2009. I paid them from September to June for the billing of $39.90 per month. They sent me a response indicating that although there was "supposedly" something in the contract which bound me to pay for the services until 2011, whether I received them or not. The letter also phrased a statement of leniency "At this point you will be set to can on previously mentioned date, as a result of our receiving your notice of cancellation". The letter was nebulous in that it did not repeat the June 9, 2009 cancellation date that I requested. This is pure deception and trickery to pay for unrendered services. My contact had a 30 day notice for cancellation. They refused to mail me a copy of the document that states this and has my signature. This is a real scam and the website has numerous complaints. Nobody in their right mind would sign for 3 years of payment regardless of services. I see why the previous owners of the home were so insistent on us using the previous alarm service. What a rip-off. Please help me by investigating the business practices of this company. I am sure I am not the only one they are trying to run this scam on.